Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Yeah, to add to the last two posts, it's even harder for me to try and work with the preparation/Xs and Os/in-game adjustments aspects when I have to constantly see all the sideline histrionics - pacing, exhorting, facial gestures, and on and on. I don't begrudge the guy his passion and intensity. But I can't help but think it's an attempt to overcome the strategic shortcomings by hoping to simply will the team to win. Just deflates my expectations for elite success even more.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm trying to remember, how long has Crean been coach? I know he was ther for Geezer Jr's freshman or sophomore year because we have a photo of Jr sitting with Crean in the stands at an IU football game. Jr didnt have much time for going to games after his sophomore year.

Anyway, isn't the honeymoon about over?
    IU is 63-18 under Crean since the 2011-12 season. He isn't going anywhere unless the wheels fall off and we miss the tourney a couple of years in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    yep and i think those numbers will continue to get worse. crean has certain flaws such as stubbornly refusing to ever try a zone himself even when other teams do it against us to great success and under him, i think the next screen i see the Hoosiers do will be the first.
    ryan understands perfectly well that crean relies on transition points and if you stop that and force iu to play half court- they are like a fish out of water.
    but at least it showed iu how far they have to go now that they finally played a big time team.
    when he first came here, i understood the necessity of playing div.2 and other small schools because our talent wasn't any better than theirs.
    however, the scheduling hasn't changed at all since he got here. we still stack the deck with a dozen or so games at home about ever 2-3 days against these types of schools. sure it is an easy way to pad the record but you just don't learn much if anything as to where you really stand and it doesn't force the players to understand what it takes to play against the top teams.
    i get a strong feeling that if it weren't for the big10 acc matches, we would have scheduled another cupcake at the hall instead.
    The schedule isn't bad- UCONN and Syracuse are two top 10 teams this year so far and IU played both of them away from home. No other Big Ten team has played two teams of such caliber. We aren't struggling to beat crap schools at home unlike Purdue- if it wasn't for Siena would they even have any wins?

Yes, the second half against Syracuse was bad but the Orange are arguably the best team in the country and the UCONN game was there for the taking. If they can beat Notre Dame IU will likely go into Big Ten season 11-2.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 12-08-2013 at 10:41 AM.

SOS is 319 after playing North Florida. With upcoming games against Nicholls State (#340 in Sagarin) and Kennessaw State (334), it may get even worse.

Crean clearly wanted an easy schedule and sought out teams that he knew were horrible. This schedule is an embarrassment.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Crean clearly wanted an easy schedule and sought out teams that he knew were horrible. This schedule is an embarrassment.
    Yep, he does it every year.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mallory STILL has a job?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Mallory STILL has a job?
    I'm not counting on him being fired, but saw a post on another site that said they may be using him to land some additional recruits before letting him go/demoting him after said recruits are in the fold (some recruits are enrolling early). He left his last two jobs, LSU and New Mexico, on nearly identical dates: Dec. 17, 2008 and Dec. 18, 2010. So, there's that. I wish they would have just canned him already, though. He deserved it.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Don't get me wrong HoosierGuy, I like Crean. But his record means zilch if he doesn't produce tourney wins. Actually I made that post while dreaming up ways for Brad Stevens to continue losing for 2 more years in Boston and then take the IU job. It was a day-dreamin' kind of day when I wrote that.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Don't get me wrong HoosierGuy, I like Crean. But his record means zilch if he doesn't produce tourney wins. Actually I made that post while dreaming up ways for Brad Stevens to continue losing for 2 more years in Boston and then take the IU job. It was a day-dreamin' kind of day when I wrote that.
    I wouldn't object to that scenario but Stevens is too good of a coach to fail at any level so he won't be available.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

How can we not have ONE reliable three point shooter on this team. So many open looks and it is brick city.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    I wouldn't object to that scenario but Stevens is too good of a coach to fail at any level so he won't be available.
    Bill Simmons said it best:

(Paraphrasing)

Best thing about the Celtics season: Brad Stephens

Worst thing about the Celtics season: Brad Stephens because his excellent coaching is costing them ping pong balls.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Bill Simmons said it best:

(Paraphrasing)

Best thing about the Celtics season: Brad Stephens

Worst thing about the Celtics season: Brad Stephens because his excellent coaching is costing them ping pong balls.
    Yep, imagine the Celtics with Rondo and a ton of draft picks over the next few years. They will be back in the playoffs for years.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:

The question might be-
    Does Brad Stevens see the NBA as the pinnacle of his career and now he's there, or is it just something on a checklist to prove to himself he can do it? Moreover, regardless of W/L at Boston, would the IU job be a job he would covet down the road if it was open?

Crean can sell ice to Eskimos and seems to run a clean program, but he's not going to win many chess matches. He got the program back to relevancy but he's not going to keep it there long playing cupcakes and getting outcoached in the big games (read: tournament).

The IU Nation will continue to grow restless. So SOMEBODY is going to be offered the IU basketball HC position sooner rather than later IMHO. I'm not talking next week, next summer, or even next year. But I have my doubts about 3-5 years out.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

We need to beat Notre Dame tomorrow. A loss to them would make me very pessimistic for the rest of the season.

Mood

Do you realize how hard it is to win in the tournament? I am just a bystander I have no allegiance it is ridiculous to blame Crean for not winning more in the Tourney. There is so much luck involved. It is about who gets hot. IU just had an off night last year. Sadly it happens winning 6 games in a row is nearly impossible only one team does it.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Do you realize how hard it is to win in the tournament? I am just a bystander I have no allegiance it is ridiculous to blame Crean for not winning more in the Tourney. There is so much luck involved. It is about who gets hot. IU just had an off night last year. Sadly it happens winning 6 games in a row is nearly impossible only one team does it.
    Which is why I sorta kinda hate the tournament. I love it, it's fun and exciting as hell, but the winner isn't usually actually the best team. I mean, at least make the championship a best of 3.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

Having a "championship or bust" standard is obviously expecting too much, but it's disappointing when you have 2 of the top 4 picks and don't even make the Elite 8.

Over the course of time, ALL of the great coaches have had solid consistent tournament success: Calipari, Williams, Izzo, Pitino, Self, Calhoon, etc. There might be some single years here and there that are disappointments, but the good coaches at top notch programs generally take their teams far in the tournament. They might not do it every year, but over the course of time they show a general pattern for consistent deep tournament runs.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-14-2013 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    We need to beat Notre Dame tomorrow. A loss to them would make me very pessimistic for the rest of the season.
    There is no way this IU team loses to this Notre Dame team. ND has the worst coach in any of the major conferences, and they have no big men. It will be an easy win for IU.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Which is why I sorta kinda hate the tournament. I love it, it's fun and exciting as hell, but the winner isn't usually actually the best team. I mean, at least make the championship a best of 3.
    The best team won the last two years, and most of the time it ends in the best team or one of the best teams winning. There are always 8 or 10 seeds who make a deep run, but at the end of the tournament the team who wins is usually the one who has the best talent, best coaching, or best regular season.

But there are always teams who could have gone far who were knocked out early because of a match-up. VCU from last year is probably the best example. They were a great team last year, but Michigan was probably their biggest kryptonite with Trey Burke. VCU could have been a Final Four team but was knocked out in the round of 32.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking this the other day actually. Then I was like, "Wait, no, **** that. You give any good coach a multiple game series to game plan against Crean and we are toast."

Anyway to the game at hand, today will go a long way to telling us where we are. ND isn't great but they are probably a tourney team, if we are going to be a top 25 team this year we should win by around 10

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Can we just scrap the Crossroads Classic? If IU and Purdue are never going to play each other I don't see the point in having it. Not to mention IU always plays like **** in it. We had an ugly win against Notre Dame two years ago and lost to Butler last year. Crean's teams hit a wall every year in mid-December; we're seeing it again today.

this is gonna be a rough years for us Hoosier fans.
    they got a shot to make the ncaa tourney but that's about it.

Crushing loss. I gave Crean the benefit of the doubt for his first five years but to suck like this in year SIX reveals that IU's struggles were much more about the coaching than anything else.

We will have ZERO quality wins heading into conference play which means a + .500 conference finish is necessary to make the tournament. Not likely.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 12-14-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    Can we just scrap the Crossroads Classic? If IU and Purdue are never going to play each other I don't see the point in having it. Not to mention IU always plays like **** in it. We had an ugly win against Notre Dame two years ago and lost to Butler last year. Crean's teams hit a wall every year in mid-December; we're seeing it again today.
    they already play each other in the big10 season. at least once sometimes twice.