Page 19 of 66 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

The adjustment period for the fouls is going to be ugly. The teams who benefit are teams with bad ball handlers and finesse teams. Neither of those would describe IU, so it will be even worse for them. It's slowed down the game so much, and it hurts basketball overall IMO.

I still was stunned all game that Vonleh needed offensive rebounds to get touches in the 2nd half. IU can't try to live by the 3, because it won't work without Oladipo, Hulls, and Watford. Vonleh is a stud and a weapon who should be the focal point of the offense. Sheehey did save the game at the end though.

Not surprised at this game. Young team vs. veteran team with postseason experience? About what I expected.

Let's hope they use this game as a learning experience and continue to improve.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not surprised at this game. Young team vs. veteran team with postseason experience? About what I expected.

Let's hope they use this game as a learning experience and continue to improve.
    That team lost 64% of their scoring and their 5 top scorers too. Oh, and they are a low-major playing in Assembly Hall. I expect up and down performances, but did not expect to get outplayed by a team called the "Blackbirds."

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    That team lost 64% of their scoring and their 5 top scorers too. Oh, and they are a low-major playing in Assembly Hall. I expect up and down performances, but did not expect to get outplayed by a team called the "Blackbirds."
    I can take your approach and get angry and worried for the rest of the season or try to look on the bright side and not get too concerned over a single game.

I can take your approach and get angry and worried for the rest of the season or try to look on the bright side and not get too concerned over a single game.
    I'm not angry or worried about the rest of the season. We have a team full of freshmen and sophomores who make boneheaded mistakes. These things will happen. Still, a one point win over LIU-Brooklyn isn't going to make me happy. Actually the thing I am most put off about is the officiating. It's making these games unwatchable.

I'm not angry or worried about the rest of the season. We have a team full of freshmen and sophomores who make boneheaded mistakes. These things will happen. Still, a one point win over LIU-Brooklyn isn't going to make me happy. Actually the thing I am most put off about is the officiating. It's making these games unwatchable.
    Yes, the officiating we can agree on. It kept LIU in the game.

I also readily admit Crean isn't the greatest in game coach. He is what he is. I don't think IU is in a position to make a change at this point.

On another issue, teams won't be able to play zone against IU next season. This year, however, unless we start shooting threes better teams will zone us to death.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 11-12-2013 at 09:53 PM.

Yes, the officiating we can agree on. It kept LIU in the game.

I also readily admit Crean isn't the greatest in game coach. He is what he is. I don't think IU is in a position to make a change at this point.

On another issue, teams won't be able to play zone against IU next season. This year, however, unless we start shooting threes better teams will zone us to death.
    I was talking about this with a buddy today. If Vonleh stays (I don't think anyone else is a real early entry option--Yogi maybe if he blows up, but the strength of the draft helps us there), we could be right back in the top 5-10 next year with the arrival of actual shooters and the natural progression of our current crop of freshmen.

I was talking about this with a buddy today. If Vonleh stays (I don't think anyone else is a real early entry option--Yogi maybe if he blows up, but the strength of the draft helps us there), we could be right back in the top 5-10 next year with the arrival of actual shooters and the natural progression of our current crop of freshmen.
    That would be great. Blackmon looks like he won't have any trouble contributing immediately at least offensively.

No doubt we are preaseason top 5-6 if we return everyone. I think Fischer will develop nicely too and then you can slide Noah to the 4.

Here's the thing, why instead of giving the refs more power what if college bball just adopted the NBA defense rules like 3 in the key etc, I know this would eliminate zone play, but wouldn't it also probably accomplish some more higher scoring games and more fluid play. Right now teams are willing to take 32 seconds to find a shot against the zone. I also think I would go to the 24 second clock.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Not surprised at this game.
    I was. That was freaking terrible. I almost turned it off with about 11 minutes to go even though the score was tied because I was so disgusted with what I was seeing.

I hope I'm wrong, but this looks like an NIT team.

Damn, I didn't even know IU played tonight. They beat Samford 105-59 but have a quick turnaround against a good Stony Brook team. That one worries me.

Damn, I didn't even know IU played tonight. They beat Samford 105-59 but have a quick turnaround against a good Stony Brook team. That one worries me.
    Nothing will surprise me with this team. A lot of talent, but a lot of youth. It's going to be a ride.

Columbia nearly beat Michigan State tonight.... it was tied with about 4 minutes to go

I knew Wisky would run all over us and score a lot of points but this offensive no show and comedy of errors ranging from botched handoffs to botched snaps is completely inexcusable for the one part of the team that was supposed to be good.

I knew Wisky would run all over us and score a lot of points but this offensive no show and comedy of errors ranging from botched handoffs to botched snaps is completely inexcusable for the one part of the team that was supposed to be good.
    I'm not surprised that this team isn't showing toughness in unfavorable weather conditions.

I'm not surprised they didn't show any toughness either, and not just because of the weather, although that's accurate to. They just aren't tough. Starts with the preparation, and the offensive side was as pathetic as the defense this time. Of course, they are a more talented and physically superior team. But we should at least be able to compete some - like maybe a quarter. Is that too much to ask? Mallory has got to be gone the second the Purdue game ends.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

17. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

They could have pulled somebody from the UW band and s/he would have managed 100 yds rushing on us.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I'm not surprised they didn't show any toughness either, and not just because of the weather, although that's accurate to. They just aren't tough. Starts with the preparation, and the offensive side was as pathetic as the defense this time. Of course, they are a more talented and physically superior team. But we should at least be able to compete some - like maybe a quarter. Is that too much to ask? Mallory has got to be gone the second the Purdue game ends.
    yeah, i go and look at the comments around the web after the games and routinely see comments like " i see better tackling in high school games"
    granted they are still lacking in talent but the defense should show at least SOME improvement from one year to the next and i don't see even the slightest improvement at all.

Duke is 8-2. DUKE.

Vanderbilt won 9 games last year. These small budget academic schools with football legacies almost as bad as IU's have gotten respectable but IU still can't win more than 5 games a year in a worse conference.

Frankly, I'm shocked Mallory is still employed. Why wait until after the season? Can him now. He's an embarrassment to defense. I'm losing faith in Wilson pretty quickly. There is no excuse for this team having only 4 wins, and barring a miracle, we will won't make a bowl game, when this season was tailor made for a bowl appearance. Wilson's seat starts warm next year, and if somehow Mallory is retained, his seat will be downright hot.

IU men's soccer, amidst a largely embarrassing season, still found a way into their 27th consecutive NCAA Tournament by winning the Big Ten Tournament Championship 1-0 over Sparty today. They certainly come to play when it matters.

Hoosier basketball is still a bit of an adventure. Evan Gordon is starting to look more comfortable, and we are certainly going to need him--and quickly.

That was a nice win over a good Stony Brook team. They won 25 games last year and returned four starters.

The big question will be how this team performs against BCS competition away from home.

That was a nice win over a good Stony Brook team. They won 25 games last year and returned four starters.

The big question will be how this team performs against BCS competition away from home.
    Yeah, I'm interested in this as well. We get to find out this week, although none of the potential opponents in the 2k Classic are exactly world-beaters. I know UConn is ranked but I'm not buying what they're selling. I'll be in NYC during the event staying right by the Garden. I might have to catch a game to see these refs in person.

You can see improvement in this team though. It will take time, but I think we will be hitting our stride as the B1G season arrives.

This IU team definitely has some talent. Gonna be an up and down season though. My God Noah Vonleh though. Lets hope he comes back. SO active on the boards. If we can get him and Yogi to stay next year we should be pretty damn good for sure.

So Basketball getting 5 wins before the football team looks like a virtual lock.

And way to go IU soccer, lets go on another miracle run. Only got out to see one game when the Lost to UCLA but still love those boys.