Page 1 of 71 123451151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 1757

Thread: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

  1. #1
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    The book has been written and closed on the major sports from the 2012-2013 cycle, so it's time to start a new one for the upcoming year.

    I remain convinced that our football team will go bowling this year. Here's the schedule:

    vs Indiana State
    vs Navy
    vs Bowling Green
    vs Missouri
    vs Penn State
    at Michigan State
    at Michigan
    vs Minnesota
    vs Illinois
    at Wisconsin
    at Ohio State
    vs Purdue

  2. #2
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Five straight games to open the season at Memorial Stadium? Honestly, I think all five are winnable, although I don't think we will actually win all five. I could see us winning the first three and then beating either Mizzou or Penn State though.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Five straight games to open the season at Memorial Stadium? Honestly, I think all five are winnable, although I don't think we will actually win all five. I could see us winning the first three and then beating either Mizzou or Penn State though.
    i agree. i think those 5 are indeed winnable. if last year was any indication, with the exception of wisconsin and i think maybe one other team, i don't recall anyone blowing iu out.
    add in the fact that we actually got some highly ranked recruits (especially where we REALLY needed help..... on the D) along with those returning, i think they have a very good shot at the post season.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    I don't know how long it will take for IUFB to go bowling, but Kevin Wilson is doing things. People can joke around and not pay attention...whatever. That program is changing. I'm not a guy who has ever really said that before, but it is. Wilson knows what he's doing. IU is gonna shock some people in coming years.

  5. #5
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Wilson inherited a turd of a roster from Bill Lynch so it isn't surprising he struggled in his first year. Last season showed a lot of signs of promise and improvement. IU was a couple of plays away from being bowl eligible last season (think of the losses to Ball State, Michigan State, and Navy).

    How many teams have three capable QBs that can come in and produce? The offensive talent is there and the defensive talent, while young, is quite promising.

    Wilson has the roster to succeed and get to the postseason. I expect at least 6 wins.

  6. #6
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    As a Purdue fan, I feel uniquely qualified to say this: If you have three quarterbacks, you have none.

  7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  8. #7
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a Purdue fan, I feel uniquely qualified to say this: If you have three quarterbacks, you have none.
    That really, really worries me. I didn't like him yanking Coffman and Sudfeld around last year after Roberson went down. I want him to just name a starter and say "That's our guy."

  9. #8
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As a Purdue fan, I feel uniquely qualified to say this: If you have three quarterbacks, you have none.
    Roberson was the starter but his season ending injury threw Coffman and Sudfeld onto the field and they produced quite admirably for first year players.

    Wilson didn't intend to play three QBs extensively but was forced to. As a result he has three experienced play callers he can go to if needed. That is a rare luxury.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 07-27-2013 at 08:13 PM.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:


  11. #9
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    On a different note, James Blackmon Jr. has been tearing it up this offseason. He is already ranked in the top 25 by ESPN and will get heavy consideration for McDonald's All American status.

  12. #10

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a different note, James Blackmon Jr. has been tearing it up this offseason. He is already ranked in the top 25 by ESPN and will get heavy consideration for McDonald's All American status.
    I don't follow HS sports closely, but every time I see an update on him, he's just clowning the competition. Did he transfer schools to get in a more competitive league? Could look that up, but just interested in any thoughts on his dominance vs his competition level.

  13. #11
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't follow HS sports closely, but every time I see an update on him, he's just clowning the competition. Did he transfer schools to get in a more competitive league? Could look that up, but just interested in any thoughts on his dominance vs his competition level.
    Nah his dad was the head coach at his high school but took the job at Marion to be it's head coach, so James Jr. is moving with him.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  15. #12
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,335

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    BOOOOO. Let's get that outta the way.

  16. #13
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't follow HS sports closely, but every time I see an update on him, he's just clowning the competition. Did he transfer schools to get in a more competitive league? Could look that up, but just interested in any thoughts on his dominance vs his competition level.
    The biggest chnage recently is that Jaquan Lyle left that AAU team and Trey hasn't been playing because of his injury. So Blackmon has been getting the lion's share of the shots and has produced.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  17. #14
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    James Blackmon Jr. decommitted. Well, then.

  18. #15
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,870

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    ****

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  20. #16
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    It's all falling apart a bit i get the feeling this class will be very underwhelming.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

  21. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,851
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Not that surprising kids change their mind quite often between 8th grade and college. Hell everyone changes their mind, but a kid changes a ton in their HS years. I am more shocked when guys who commit super early like a Trey Lyles and Blackmond stay committed.

    Wish him the best wherever he goes good talent, and finally healthy.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

    Dab

  23. #18
    Star Platinum Hypnotiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    I wouldnt even waste my time if i was Crean trying for him again

    stuff him.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

  24. #19
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    I'm actually more upset with the super early offers than the kids pulling back on their commitments. Stop offering these ****ing kids when they are freshmen. Treat offers like they are highly valuable and hard to come by--don't just toss them around. Pisses me off.

  25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  26. #20
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,335

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm actually more upset with the super early offers than the kids pulling back on their commitments. Stop offering these ****ing kids when they are freshmen. Treat offers like they are highly valuable and hard to come by--don't just toss them around. Pisses me off.
    would obviously be ideal, but unless it's mandated you pretty much have to, keeping up with the Joneses and all. I wish staffs couldn't make contact with kids until after their sophomore years, scout em all you want, but no mail or texts or calls or unofficial visits or any of that.

    anyway, Calipari's probably going to wind up with 3 guys he stole from IU and Purdue.

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  28. #21
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,833

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Crean's got his work cut out for him IMO sustaining IU - fanbase - level expectations. Not just based on his last season or two, but just in general. The significant loss of momentum in the recruiting department strikes me as a bit of a bad omen.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:


  30. #22
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Crean's got his work cut out for him IMO sustaining IU - fanbase - level expectations. Not just based on his last season or two, but just in general. The significant loss of momentum in the recruiting department strikes me as a bit of a bad omen.
    I would suggest waiting until the 2014 class is finalized before getting worried about "momentum" in recruiting. There are a lot of good players IU is still courting. We only have two open spots in 2014 so the class wasn't going to be very large anyways.

    People love to freak out about stuff like this (not suggesting you are) but it is important to keep the big picture in mind. This stinks but Blackmon's decommitment was expected when Lyles decommitted last year.

    Crean's been at IU for over five years. I think he understands the demands of the fanbase quite well and is working diligently to ensure the program remains competitive.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 08-08-2013 at 07:47 PM.

  31. #23
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would suggest waiting until the 2014 class is finalized before getting worried about "momentum" in recruiting. There are a lot of good players IU is still courting. We only have two open spots in 2014 so the class wasn't going to be very large anyways.

    People love to freak out about stuff like this (not suggesting you are) but it is important to keep the big picture in mind. This stinks but Blackmon's decommitment was expected when Lyles decommitted last year.

    Crean's been at IU for over five years. I think he understands the demands of the fanbase quite well and is working diligently to ensure the program remains competitive.
    1) That's not the nature of "momentum."
    2) I bet we sign at least 3 (and probably 4) players for 2014. As the past seasons have shown us, scholarship numbers on paper don't mean ****.
    3) Blackmon's decommitment was absolutely not expected and if you say you expected it, I'm calling bull **** on you.

  32. #24
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) That's not the nature of "momentum."
    2) I bet we sign at least 3 (and probably 4) players for 2014. As the past seasons have shown us, scholarship numbers on paper don't mean ****.
    3) Blackmon's decommitment was absolutely not expected and if you say you expected it, I'm calling bull **** on you.
    1) Momentum in recruiting is fleeting so I place little stock in it. It can change on a dime.

    2) If you say so. Crean certainly has an idea of expected roster turnover season-to-season which is he oversigned by three in the 2013 class.

    3) The message boards I visited at the time of Lyles' de-commitment were rife with speculation (now shown to be warranted) that it was only a matter of time that Blackmon would follow. Go ahead and call ******** on me. It means nothing. You called ******** on my assertion that player salaries are taxed in the jurisdiction where their games are played and guess what, I was 100% CORRECT. Your antipathy towards me does not invalidate my assertions. Facts are facts, irrespective of who cites them.
    Last edited by hoosierguy; 08-08-2013 at 08:20 PM.

  33. #25
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Indiana University Athletics Thread 2013-2014

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3) The message boards I visited at the time of Lyles' de-commitment were rife with speculation (now shown to be warranted) that it was only a matter of time that Blackmon would follow. Go ahead and call ******** on me. It means nothing. You called ******** on my assertion that player salaries are taxed in the jurisdiction where their games are played and guess what, I was 100% CORRECT. Your antipathy towards me does not invalidate my assertions. Facts are facts, irrespective of who cites them.
    You are citing the doomsayers on Peegs and other Indiana message boards. There is all kinds of outlandish **** on there, and if you look hard enough, you can find anything to back up your claims, regardless of what they are.

    Also, congrats on being right. It does happen, and I am known to be wrong. While we are bringing up when people are right and wrong, how long did it take you to go off on the first non-IU fan who even posted in the last thread after you told me you "changed your ways?"

Similar Threads

  1. 2013-2014 NBA Draft Prospects thread
    By pacer4ever in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 340
    Last Post: 06-12-2014, 05:44 PM
  2. Purdue 2012-2013 Athletics thread
    By Kegboy in forum The Locker Room (General Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 753
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 08:54 PM
  3. Indiana University Athletics Thread 2012-2013
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum The Locker Room (General Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 3263
    Last Post: 07-19-2013, 11:53 PM
  4. Indiana University Athletics Thread 2011-2012
    By cdash in forum The Locker Room (General Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 2435
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 09:32 PM
  5. Indiana University 2010-2011 Men's Basketball Thread
    By Trader Joe in forum The Locker Room (General Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 787
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 02:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •