Thread: Our Idiot Kicker went and Got Liquored Up Again

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Our Idiot Kicker went and Got Liquored Up Again

By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com
    Beneficiaries last week of the bulletin board material provided by the fast-talking but slow-covering Denver Broncos secondary, the Indianapolis Colts might find themselves on the other side of the motivational motor mouth game as they prepare for Sunday's divisional-round matchup against the New England Patriots.

On Sunday night, following Indianapolis' victory over the Broncos, loose-tongued kicker Mike Vanderjagt suggested during a local television interview that the Patriots are "ripe for the picking." It didn't take long for his words to reach the ears of some New England players and for Patriots veterans to react.

"That's great for Vanderjagt," said Pats linebacker Willie McGinest, who has made big, game-altering plays in each of New England's last three victories over the Colts. "Hopefully, he makes it the next time."

The last reference was a reminder that, in this year's regular-season opener, Vanderjagt missed a potential game-tying field goal in the final seconds.

Truth be told, Vanderjagt's remarks were fairly innocuous, and the veteran kicker is so nonsensical at times, his ramblings are generally ignored. But there certainly is no love lost between the Colts and Patriots, who played in the same division before realignment altered the NFL landscape in 2002, and who have remained fierce rivals.

Even as erudite a head coach as Bill Belichick of the Patriots isn't above resorting to some hackneyed motivational ploys, and Vanderjagt may have unwittingly played right into his hands. Last year, when Indianapolis tight end Marcus Pollard crowed that the Colts had played so well in their first two playoff wins that the NFL should just "hand us the [Super Bowl] rings," Belichick made sure his charges were aware of those words.

Before the AFC championship game, Belichick held up his Super Bowl XXXVI ring during a team meeting and reminded the Patriots that the NFL doesn't just hand out such gaudy hardware, and that it had to be earned. There is little doubt that, in New England, the Vanderjagt interview will be incessantly replayed this week. And even less doubt that, in some fashion, his sentiments will be plastered on a wall in the Pats locker room.

"I think they're not as good as at the beginning of the year, not as good as last year," said Vanderjagt when asked about the Patriots pedigree on Sunday evening. "And I think they are beatable. We have to play well. There's no question about that. But I think we're going to come back [to Indianapolis] Sunday night, headed to the AFC title game. I think they're ripe for the picking."

It is hardly the first time the outspoken Vanderjagt's mouth has gotten him into some degree of difficulty.

After the 2002 season, while appearing on a Canadian television show, Vanderjagt noted that Colts quarterback Peyton Manning might not be tough enough to win a Super Bowl. Manning responded by referring to Vanderjagt as "our idiot kicker," who probably made the remarks while "liquored up." The two men subsequently apologized, but there is still some tension between them.

Last week, the Colts responded to suggestions from Denver players that Indianapolis wide receivers were soft and didn't like physical contact.

McGinest said that Vanderjagt's comments probably will not have much bearing on this weekend's game, but hinted he felt they were ill-timed.

"If Vanderjagt feels confident enough to guarantee victory, that's great," said the Pats veteran linebacker. "Great for him. But [because he's a kicker] there's going to be a whole bunch of plays when he's not going to be out there [on the field]. The rest of his guys will be out there dealing with it."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Our Idiot Kicker went and Got Liquored Up Again

Well lets just beat them.And who is Willie McGinest to talk?Isn't that the same ***** who faked an injury last year so the Pats D could set up?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think this is hilarious. I watched that interview on WISH-TV live, and his comments were so unimportant it's amazing anyone outside Indy knows about them. Oh well. Anything to drum up ratings.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Hahahaha....Vanderjerk. Wow. Well, it isn't a big deal really. No one cares what he says. And it isn't going to stop Peyton from having a field day, and stop his big year.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

canyoufeelit

This is bulletin board material? If the Patriots can't get up for a single-elimination playoff game without Vanderjackass' help then they truly deserve to be eliminated

canyoufeelit

Bulletin board material in the NFL playoffs, how silly is that

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exactly.

He's a kicker. Whooptie-freakin'-da! Who cares?

As another person said, if the Pats need this to get up for the game, then they have problems.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by canyoufeelit
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bulletin board material in the NFL playoffs, how silly is that
    If either of theses teams needs to wait around for words from the other side to get fired up then they need to retire right now. This rematch was set in stone the second after Vandy missed that FG in week one and every player should have been fired up by now....
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

byetimmy

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned
    If either of theses teams needs to wait around for words from the other side to get fired up then they need to retire right now. This rematch was set in stone the second after Vandy missed that FG in week one and every player should have been fired up by now....
    Hey, wait a minute. Wasn't there a HUGE stink just last week about the comments from the Broncos? Marvin's a good blocker, but I'm sure the "soft" comments played a big part in his humiliation of Champ Bailey last week. By your logic, I guess Marvin should retire right now.

I think I smell a big cup of hypocrisy brewing...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by byetimmy
    Hey, wait a minute. Wasn't there a HUGE stink just last week about the comments from the Broncos? Marvin's a good blocker, but I'm sure the "soft" comments played a big part in his humiliation of Champ Bailey last week. By your logic, I guess Marvin should retire right now.

I think I smell a big cup of hypocrisy brewing...
    My comments were referring to two bitter rivals that have played each other for the longest time not just any playoff game.

For example if your pats were playing a team like the Chargers then yes I would try to fired up to if that came from Nate Keading. But you're telling me that you wouldn't be worried if they were playing the Jets or Bills, and the only thing that could get them fired up was a sentence from a kicker that was influenced by the bottle ?

I also believe that there's a difference between calling out someone's toughness and saying that they could be beaten...

byetimmy

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned
    My comments were referring to two bitter rivals that have played each other for the longest time not just any playoff game.

For example if your pats were playing a team like the Chargers then yes I would try to fired up to if that came from Nate Keading. But you're telling me that you wouldn't be worried if they were playing the Jets or Bills, and the only thing that could get them fired up was a sentence from a kicker that was influenced by the bottle ?

I also believe that there's a difference between calling out someone's toughness and saying that they could be beaten...
    I didn't say it was the ONLY thing that fired them up, but I believe that it plays a factor. It's just like throwing gas on a fire.

He didn't just say they could be beaten. He said they weren't as good as last year and they aren't as good last earlier this year. And the kicker (pun intended) was him saying that he thinks the Colts are going to the AFC title game and even speculated that it could be in Indy. This shows that he (and David Thorton) are clearly looking past the Patriots. That is blatant disrespect for the Patriots and their defense.

It's just like last week in the Colts v Donks game. I'm sure the Colts didn't need any extra motivation for that game. There's plenty of recent history between these two teams. Yet, the remarks that the Colts were "soft" gave them extra motivation. Did Marvin need to put Bailey on his [behind]? No, a simple hand block would have sufficed since Bailey wasn't within 10 yards of the play. Instead he laid Bailey out. Why? Because of thethe "extra" motivation.

Mood

I didn't say it was the ONLY thing that fired them up, but I believe that it plays a factor. It's just like throwing gas on a fire.

He didn't just say they could be beaten. He said they weren't as good as last year and they aren't as good last earlier this year. And the kicker (pun intended) was him saying that he thinks the Colts are going to the AFC title game and even speculated that it could be in Indy. This shows that he (and David Thorton) are clearly looking past the Patriots. That is blatant disrespect for the Patriots and their defense.

It's just like last week in the Colts v Donks game. I'm sure the Colts didn't need any extra motivation for that game. There's plenty of recent history between these two teams. Yet, the remarks that the Colts were "soft" gave them extra motivation. Did Marvin need to put Bailey on his [behind]? No, a simple hand block would have sufficed since Bailey wasn't within 10 yards of the play. Instead he laid Bailey out. Why? Because of thethe "extra" motivation.

I guess we're not to far apart in our opinions then. I just think it's silly to think that either team needs anything more or that Vandy's comments should be considered as extra motivation.

byetimmy

Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    You really believe anyone (other than possibly the guy who might get on the field 5 whole times) is even vaguely looking past the Patriots? Then you know nothing about this Colts team.
    Well, David Thorton was there with Vandy. He AGREED with Vandy. I heard the tape. He's even the one that mentioned that if the Jets beat the Steelers, the AFCC would be in Indy. I don't know about you, but that sure sounds like he's looking past the Pats to me.

As far as the rest of the team, they seem to be saying the right things.

PacerGregg

Thumbs up Re: Our Idiot Kicker went and Got Liquored Up Again

Well to me he's just as much a part of this team as anyone. And for anyone to call him out because he's confident is down right crazy. People are acting like he's anything less than an NFL player. Most of you who watch the Colts has seen the guy put some licks on the kick returner whenever needed and he doesn't shy away like alot of them I have seen. So lets keep in mind we have no individuals on our team but a bunch of players who are a very good team.But everyone has to do their job.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have no problem with what he said at all and I can agree with it.

By saying "Ripe for the picking." I think he meant that their defense is injured and we should take advatange of it. Just because he is a kicker means ****.

Yet, the remarks that the Colts were "soft" gave them extra motivation. Did Marvin need to put Bailey on his [behind]? No, a simple hand block would have sufficed since Bailey wasn't within 10 yards of the play. Instead he laid Bailey out. Why? Because of thethe "extra" motivation.
    You have got to be kidding.

Anytime you're playing football, and have a chance to knock someone on their ***, you do it. Do you really think he was thinking "He called me soft, I will knock him on his *** now, I am so much more motivated!"
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?