Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SuperBatman

Default Re: SuperBatman

Neither was Chris Pratt, who I would have never pictured to look muscular for GotG, yet the picture of him showed that he looked pretty damn awesome. Most people thought Ledger didn't make any sense at all for Joker, and he turned out great.

I don't really think of Christian Bale as physically intimidating either. But he played it great (and frankly, not many people were too fond of him being chosen in the first place)

I think it is rushing to judgment, and I think it will very likely turn out just fine
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think looking at Affleck's body of work and then envisioning him as a crappy Batman beause of it, is really rushing to judgement. The guy doesn't exude some of the characteristics that is needed for Batman IMHO. He definitely isn't any phsyical intimidating force.
    Neither am I, but if you give me 6 months to bulk up with a professional nutritionist and weight training program, and you bet your *** I could make myself physically intimidating. Hell I remember reading Bale had just finished filming The Machinist or whatever movie he weighed like 118 lbs in when he started training for Batman. Nolan told him to "get as big as you can" at which point Bale got so huge that Nolan laughed the next time he saw him and Bale ended up having to drop about 30 pounds again.

I thought Ledger was a great choice from the beginning, I loved Christian Bale coming on. I'm really shocked to see that you wouldn't think of him as phsyically intimidating, I'm assuming you've seen American Psycho.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Mood

His voice and physicality have me dubious to this choice. I have no problem with him in general as an actor, I just don't think of him when I think of a 'Bruce Wayne type'.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    I don't really think of Christian Bale as physically intimidating either.
    If Ben Affleck can bulk up to looking like this, more power to him:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Neither am I, but if you give me 6 months to bulk up with a professional nutritionist and weight training program, and you bet your *** I could make myself physically intimidating.
    I don't think bulking up is necessarily phsyically intimidating. I think it has more to do with one's attitude and the way they carry themselves. I've been around plenty of guys that are ripped, who aren't intimidating one bit. I know it's acting, but nothing I've ever seen of Affleck has given me the impression he can pull off the character.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    If Ben Affleck can bulk up to looking like this, more power to him:

I don't really call that intimidating, but sure he looks pretty ripped. I'm willing to think that Affleck can get to something comparable.

I actually think his voice is going to be good for this and that he can pull off the gruff kind of voice that Kevin Conroy made famous.

Again, most people didn't think Ledger or Bale were inspiring choices.

The buttchin Batman should be fun
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I think people are focusing way too much on Daredevil. Yeah that was an awful movie, but I think he's much better suited to play Batman now than he was back then. People are going to be pleasantly surprised, but until there is footage of him acting as Batman, there will be doubts

His voice .
    That's my biggest concern. Affleck's voice is one of those that I immediately recognize as "Ben Affleck's voice" as opposed to whatever character he's playing.

Mood

I don't really call that intimidating, but sure he looks pretty ripped. I'm willing to think that Affleck can get to something comparable.

I actually think his voice is going to be good for this and that he can pull off the gruff kind of voice that Kevin Conroy made famous.

Again, most people didn't think Ledger or Bale were inspiring choices.

The buttchin Batman should be fun
    If being huge/ripped isn't intimidating, then what would have to be different about him to be intimidating?

They should just make Kevin Conroy do a voice-over when it's Batman on screen.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    That's my biggest concern. Affleck's voice is one of those that I immediately recognize as "Ben Affleck's voice" as opposed to whatever character he's playing.
    Not just the voice, his entire persona. He's a better director than he is actor, but he's an above average actor I guess. But he's always "Ben Affleck" on the screen. It doesn't need to be some unkown actor or anything, not like Bale was some nobody (but definitely not on Affleck's celebrity tier), I just don't see a way I'll be able to buy him being Batman. He's just too overstated for it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Isn't Affleck's whole thing that he is an older Batman anyway? Who says he needs to be as big as Bale was in BB or TDK? Bale's body type is a bit different in TDKR. Makes some sense an older Batman isn't quite the same as the Bruce Wayne who came back in BB.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Isn't Affleck's whole thing that he is an older Batman anyway? Who says he needs to be as big as Bale was in BB or TDK? Bale's body type is a bit different in TDKR. Makes some sense an older Batman isn't quite the same as the Bruce Wayne who came back in BB.
    Yeah, that's a good point. I'm intrigued to see how they go about tackling this movie. I don't necessarily think it will be as good as an Avengers movie, but I am definitely more intrigued by the possibilities here.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Not just the voice, his entire persona. He's a better director than he is actor, but he's an above average actor I guess. But he's always "Ben Affleck" on the screen. It doesn't need to be some unkown actor or anything, not like Bale was some nobody (but definitely not on Affleck's celebrity tier), I just don't see a way I'll be able to buy him being Batman. He's just too overstated for it.
    He's almost like the white Denzel Washington. There has never been a movie Denzel has been in where I have been able to see him as anything other than "Denzel Washington."

If being huge/ripped isn't intimidating, then what would have to be different about him to be intimidating?
    I think you can be intimidating without having to be Hulk Hogan size. There has to be SOME bigness and muscle, otherwise you won't get the effect. But I think just the confidence and presence of some people can be intimidating without necessarily having to be huge. I find Samuel L Jackson to be an incredibly intimidating actor but I wouldn't call him huge or ripped.

And I agree that he doesn't have to be nearly as big as Bale. He is supposed to be older and as mentioned, it's quite plausible that he's lost some muscle over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I don't think bulking up is necessarily phsyically intimidating. I think it has more to do with one's attitude and the way they carry themselves. I've been around plenty of guys that are ripped, who aren't intimidating one bit.
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MagicRat For This Useful Post:

Mood

It just occurred to me that this could have been a good time to cast the first black Bruce Wayne.

What 30-somethings to 40's would have been good candidates?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

It just occurred to me that this could have been a good time to cast the first black Bruce Wayne.

Derek Luke, Anthony Mackie, Michael B. Jordan's probably too young still. Djimon Hounsou's getting up there but he'd kill it. I'd say Idris Elba but he needs to be the next Bond.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08-23-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Denzel Washington
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Idris Elba would rule as Batman. But then, Stringer rules all.

As for Affleck's voice, Bob & Tom were joking this morning about his strong accent. They said he could play Bruce Wayne as a Kennedy and Batman as a southie.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Idris Elba rules anything and everything.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

Wasn't there a rumor that they thought about Denzel but couldn't get him or something? I thought I read that somewhere.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I think people are focusing way too much on Daredevil. Yeah that was an awful movie, but I think he's much better suited to play Batman now than he was back then. People are going to be pleasantly surprised, but until there is footage of him acting as Batman, there will be doubts
    The Daredevil movie that was released into theaters was not all that good (it's often over stated how bad it was though IMO) but the directors cut which was released on DVD was actually a very good film, almost totally different from what the movie ended up being.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

35. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post: