Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronics Gurus: Buying a new Television, Need Advice

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Electronics Gurus: Buying a new Television, Need Advice

Gentlemen;

I'm thinking about purchasing a television in the near-future. Have been drawn to one Plasma in particular in my research. Shown here: http://www.hhgregg.com/lg-60-1080p-p.../item/60PN5300

Price says $700, but I have some Gift Cards that total out to $150, so I'd be getting that TV for $550 essentially.

I like it. Love the size for the price (My Overall Price Range is under $1000). My question is should I stop my shopping and buy that? Should I look at a different Plasma? Should I look at LED instead? All opinions welcome.

Default Re: Electronics Gurus: Buying a new Television, Need Advice

Panasonic makes nice Plasmas but I don't know about LG.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

I love my LED tv. Their a lot better than plasma/LCDs in my opinion.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

LED. More energy efficient, operates a lot cooler, longer life. Worth the extra few bucks. Over time, you'll save what you spend now on your electric bill.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

I don't have a lot of time to go into it, but I had a rough time with the electronic repair company that HH Gregg uses. It was called AAA repair or ABC repair (something like that). They SUCK. Not sure if HH Gregg still uses them. It's been a few years.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikD. For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How many devices are you planning to hook up to it? Only having 2 HDMI ports could be an issue (albeit, one that can easily remedied with $50 and a trip to Fry's). It's really hard to do recommendations with TVs and computer monitors just looking online because what looks great to one person could look like total crap to the next.

My personal advice: Go to Greggs' and see what it looks like in the showroom. Go with what looks best to YOU.
    Last edited by Sandman21; 04-30-2014 at 08:28 AM.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

As long as you go with a name brand television you'll be happy.

As pointed out by Bball if you're looking at Plasma then Panasonics are considered the best. But as pointed out also in this thread the plasmas also run hot and cost more to operate. If you're into video gaming (plasmas are MUCH better now but) then I would go with LED. However.... if you're into movies then IMHO nothing beats Plasma and price. Do have to add this as well... I've got 3 plasmas (65" Panasonic, 50" Samsung, 42" Samsung) and have never had any problems ever.

I've got 3 LCD's all 37 inch bedrooms tvs (cheaper Vizio) and have never had a problem either. However my son and his father in-law have experienced problems with their LED's (Samsung and Vizio) with a board going out. Maybe they had lemons or maybe something to do with 3D technology on both sets, I don't know.

Back to topic.... LG is a known brand along with Toshiba and others. My personal favorites as you can tell are Panasonic and Samsung for larger screens and at mid tier tvs I think Vizio at price is pretty good value.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I don't have a lot of time to go into it, but I had a rough time with the electronic repair company that HH Gregg uses. It was called AAA repair or ABC repair (something like that). They SUCK. Not sure if HH Gregg still uses them. It's been a few years.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ErikD. For This Useful Post:

I've got an older 57" LG plasma sitting in my living room. I'd buy it again everyday of the week. LED/LCD's might have a little better picture, but IMHO it's like trying to decide between a Porsche or a Ferrari. Which ever one you chose, you're gonna be happy with.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Almost forgot.... the weight of plasmas are a bear when deciding where to display your tv. This particular LG is around 84lbs so you're going to need a pretty sturdy tv stand or hanging bracket too. As Sandman points out with only 2 HDMI inputs it is possible you may need more but there are some cheap but sturdy switches out there. This of course depends also on how you wind up running things to your tv. Currently on one tv I've got all of my devices running through my receiver with one HDMI out running to back of the television so I don't really need additional tv inputs. Bedrooms tvs simply have one app packed blu-ray player running a single HDMI cable to the rear of the tv. Use the blu-ray with wireless to stream Netflix, Youtube, Crackle, or any of the pay movie sites.

When all is said and done.... if you're going with a 60" television you can't make the mistake of not including some type of decent audio or you'll be really disappointed.

Almost forgot though 2..... Panasonic has stopped making plasmas so you might hit on a really good clearance deall at HHGregg if you ask. But you got to ask because the sales people will try an steer you to something else for sure.
    Last edited by RWB; 04-30-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got an older 57" LG plasma sitting in my living room. I'd buy it again everyday of the week. LED/LCD's might have a little better picture, but IMHO it's like trying to decide between a Porsche or a Ferrari. Which ever one you chose, you're gonna be happy with.
    But they really don't because the black levels on a (normally priced) LED or LCD can not compete with plasma. Now of course some of the newer expensive LEDs can but we're talking out of Day-V's price preference.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

My suggestion for TV-buying.

Know your specs. I'm not an expert here, so DISCLAIMER! But know someone who is, or that you can consult. And no, the Best Buy guy probably isn't an expert either.

If you're super concerned about how awesome your TV will look, I usually look for the following specs: refresh rate (a lot of debate in the home theater community on how important this is ... honestly 120Hz should be fine for mostly anything, but 240Hz+ can't hurt), contrast ratio (you'll notice how low WalMart TV contrast ratios usually are, it's because there are models specifically designed for WalMart prices, but this means less spectrum overall), and resolution (most likely 1080p unless you're looking to go 4K, which is great, but means you have a helluva lot more money than I do!)

To me, contrast ratio is the biggie. Try to get something 30,000:1 and up. (EDIT: oops, made this rec for LCDs ... Plasma & LED will likely be even higher contrast ratios, which is a good thing!)

As far as brands? I've never gone wrong with an LG. Any big brand should be just fine. It's more the look and feel of the TV once you beyond the specs than anything.
    Last edited by Dr. Hibbert; 04-30-2014 at 09:52 AM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Plasma is suppose to have the best picture, myself I can't tell the difference. I love my LG 55" LED, also have a LG 42" LED, pictures are unbelievably good IMO. I have a couple of LED Dell computer monitors that were made by LG, they are great also.

There are 2 different types of LED, corner lighting and full LED. Full is better, but again I can't tell much difference.

I have cheap 40" LED Coby ($180) in my garage and it's got a pretty good picture.
    Last edited by Hoop; 04-30-2014 at 05:45 PM.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

just wait for a tv deal on woot.com. Fatwallet is a another good site. HHGregg? Who still shops there.

I got a 70" LED Smart Vizieo for $1100 on Woot.com (it's about $2500 in stores). Had it for 3 months now. I've seen that tv deal about 3 times since then too. You'll be able to find smaller tvs for less.

Always look online for deals first, cause sometimes a store will match to get your business. Best Buy matches.

And don't get a Plasma. No one is making them anymore...even Panasonic gave in.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

The reason Plasmas are so cheap is because nobody wants them. LED is the way to go.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    My personal advice: Go to Greggs' and see what it looks like in the showroom. Go with what looks best to YOU.
    There is a caveat to that advice, because you are at the mercy of whoever set up that array of displays. Which ever one you think is bad or good could be the result of it being hooked up incorrectly, receiving a SD cable, or being on the incorrect settings. Even worse it could have been programmed to look good so you'll buy it even though it would less than ideal on your eyes or would jeopardize the life of the TV itself.

My Advice? It's all relative. If you are simply upgrading from standard definition and have something that needs HD, find the best deal or what works logistically best for you and go for it. If you are a electronic snob, or whatever, then continue to do homework on specs and the different types. If you only have a VCR or a SNES, then don't go after a high end TV...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A little out of your price range.

Samsung 80" Ultra HD. The most amazing tv I have ever been around.

Could not bring myself to buy a tv more expensive then a lot of cars.

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    The reason Plasmas are so cheap is because nobody wants them. LED is the way to go.
    I wouldn't say nobody wants them. They're heavy and they don't do well in a room with lots of light. If I had a basement, though, I would buy a plasma in a heartbeat. Get a helluva deal on it probably, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    I wouldn't say nobody wants them. They're heavy and they don't do well in a room with lots of light. If I had a basement, though, I would buy a plasma in a heartbeat. Get a helluva deal on it probably, too.
    I bought my plasma 7 years ago. 50" tv that I put in the office/media room (one of the spare upstairs bedrooms. This thing puts off so much damn heat that I have to stop playing cause I'm sweating.

Cannot wait till I can replace this tv with an LED.

Mood

I went ahead and bought the 60-inch Plasma. I absolutely love it. The color is amazing. The weight wasn't too bad. Was able to get it up 3 flights of stairs with relative ease. Just couldn't beat the size and quality for that price. Thanks to everyone for the advice. It was much appreciated. I wouldn't consider myself a n00b, but no expert, either. As an electronics "dabbler" I had an idea of what I was looking for, and was looking to bounce ideas off you all. And again, I definitely appreciate the commentary!

Fun Fact: My father & I spent most of the evening on Thursday putting together a TV stand then setting up the TV itself at my place. As soon as we finally finished and sat down, the first thing to ever grace my new TV was Pacers-Hawks. Game 6. 1:07 left. David West running right-hander.

This new TV is a good omen. Hopefully.
    Last edited by Day-V; 05-04-2014 at 12:16 PM.

34. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Honestly, most name brand TV's are really good, the key is getting online and getting a good calibration for it. I bought a cheapie a few months ago, plugged it in --- picture was horrendous. Got online, plugged in a posted calibration, now the picture is gorgeous. Never stick with factory presets, there are always calibrations online that take your picture to much better levels.

People always ask me what I pay for my TV's, I paid $600 for a 60" LED. They're always like wow that looks amazing.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Honestly, most name brand TV's are really good, the key is getting online and getting a good calibration for it. I bought a cheapie a few months ago, plugged it in --- picture was horrendous. Got online, plugged in a posted calibration, now the picture is gorgeous. Never stick with factory presets, there are always calibrations online that take your picture to much better levels.

People always ask me what I pay for my TV's, I paid $600 for a 60" LED. They're always like wow that looks amazing.
    I haven't seen a 60" that low. You get one of the chinese brand LEDs? I might go this route for the media room. Don't need an expensive Samsung. I only use it for video games and Netflix streaming. But I do want a 60".

That's great and trust me you won't regret having a plasma television. However you will regret not having nice audio to go with your shiny new toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I bought my plasma 7 years ago. 50" tv that I put in the office/media room (one of the spare upstairs bedrooms. This thing puts off so much damn heat that I have to stop playing cause I'm sweating.

Cannot wait till I can replace this tv with an LED.
    You're suppose to watch it, not lay on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    http://www.tweaktv.com/