Thread: Best Chinese Food in the Indy area?

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Best Chinese Food in the Indy area?

For me it's Sichuan in Carmel and its not particularly close, but I'm curious what others think.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Default Re: Best Chinese Food in the Indy area?

Always liked that Panda Express, real authentic ****.

Szechwan Garden, Lafayette Rd
    Nothing in second place.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Chow Express on 75th and Shadeland but haven't been to that one in years.

China King downtown at Delaware and Ohio.

I think in general there are a lot of really bad ones.

Tiger Lily at 86th and Ditch and Shanghai Lil at 82nd and Keystone at the crossing.

Both excellent for quailty, but both are more expensive.

If you love hot and sour soup like I do by far the best is Yen Ching at 91st and Michigan. The rest of their food is very hit and mis

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Same with Yen Ching on east Washington St. Although I used to be able to order non-menu items.

A few years ago there was a place on N Michigan Rd that served authentic Chinese cuisine. THe owner had been a microbiologist at Lilly. THe restaurant failed because she wouldn't accept credit cards and authentic Chinese food just wasn't accepted here.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Same with Yen Ching on east Washington St. Although I used to be able to order non-menu items.

A few years ago there was a place on N Michigan Rd that served authentic Chinese cuisine. THe owner had been a microbiologist at Lilly. THe restaurant failed because she wouldn't accept credit cards and authentic Chinese food just wasn't accepted here.
    I one time walked into a Chinese place and tried something different. I said fix me your most authentic chinese dish. And they did, it was a dry chili dish that was very spicy, very dry and I didn't like it. Next time I went in they asked me about and I explained I didn't like it. In a nice way they said yeah most American don't.

I honestly think Chinese is one of the places Indy is really lacking. I've never really found a place I am really into. Indy crushes the other Asian foods so much better. There are probably 4 or 5 thai restaurants I like much better than any Chinese restaurant. I would really be happy if we got a good one. I hate getting a craving for Chinese food and not having a good place to go, often I will just settle for the Chinese buffet down the street from my condo because it is convenient. Plus it's sign cracks me up since half the letters are out #1 CHINA BU

I've had Sichuan, I'm not a big fan. If I had to pick a place I'd probably pick China Garden or whatever it is called now just on the Northside of 31 up in Carmel where O'Malia's Grocery used to be. That place is alright, but it used to be much better.

May have to try Tiger Lily if UB recommends it. I've never been there, but I do go to Sawasdee once or twice a month next door so I've seen it.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I like Yen Ching like these guys have stated. Another favorite of mine is Oriental Inn at 13th and Arlington. It may not look like much on the outside, but it's nice on the inside and the food is really good. Really nice people. The owner's wife is Korean and she gives us complimentary Kimchee that she makes.

People swear by King Chef on 96th St, but it's pretty average to me. Maybe it was better back in the day? It's OK, but nothing special. I just get it because it's convenient, usually.

I've only had one truly great Chinese experience...and I was really drunk (maybe factoring into how great it was) so I don't remember the particulars. Was at a friend's near Allisonville and Kessler, so it was something close to there. But I was too drunk to even really get in the car, let alone drive, so someone else picked it up, and I never saw where it was exactly.

Any good Chinese places near Allisonville and Kessler?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Side story.......a Chinese couple in Greenfield opened a buffet just off I70 E on State Rd 9. We asked them at Church one day how they happend to end up in Greenfield. They told us they wanted out of New York so they pinned a map to the wall, threw a dart at it, and that's how they chose Greenfield.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to indygeezer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    Side story.......a Chinese couple in Greenfield opened a buffet just off I70 E on State Rd 9. We asked them at Church one day how they happend to end up in Greenfield. They told us they wanted out of New York so they pinned a map to the wall, threw a dart at it, and that's how they chose Greenfield.
    I can understanding wanting to be out of NY but they're lucky they didn't get some West Virginia coal mining town.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post

May have to try Tiger Lily if UB recommends it. I've never been there, but I do go to Sawasdee once or twice a month next door so I've seen it.
    It used to be the restaurant formerly known as Hunan Chinese Restaurant but the couple retired and their nephew took over and remade the place into Tiger Lily. Probably my second favorite place but expensive so I rarely go there even though its about 5 minutes from my apartment.

My favorite Chinese place isn't even in Indy but the Hunan in Fort Wayne. Haven't been there in years though.