Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has everyone given up hope on Plumlee?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Has everyone given up hope on Plumlee?

There's just not much to talk about I think. He has the physical tools to be a quality player, but we have yet to see his skills and drive against NBA quality players. Then you of course have the people that will hate him until he's either gone or been here 10 years.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

Plumlee hasn't even gotten started yet, so no, am nowhere close to giving up hope.

My gut feeling is that many will be pleasantly surprised by how agressively he plays
    once he starts getting some consistent minutes. Hopefully another Jeff Foster type.

The guy is too athletic to be just another big stiff, and he clearly showed flashes of
    this with some dominating performances in summer league play. Given time I think
    he will be ok.
    "I've been through the fire, and what the fire doesn't destroy it hardens...
    and I'm hardened!
    " - Baron Von Raschke

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cuz it's easier to say that he sucks and a waste of a draft pick than it is to say that we have not seen enough of him to make an informed opinion of whether he pans out or not.
    This. I wasn't a fan of the pick, but:

1. the dude is a Pacer now
    2. I'm more then sure enough to think our management had their own good reasons for taking him where they eventually did
    3. I'm sure our scouting department had their reasons for obviously highlighting this guy or atleast taking an extra look at him and not finding sufficient reasons for not taking him (otherwise you could assume that management would have stayed away from him)
    4. a large part of the guys playing PF/C take a longer time to translate their college game to the NBA

To be honest I think I pretty much did an 180 on him and I don't expect him to be a major contributor to the team, but I do think he will be able to provide a few backup minutes for us when called upon. I have no doubt he will see the court this year. How much depends on the health of our team aswell as how the season progresses for us.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mourning For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    Perhaps you didn't listen to Bird's interview.

He said something to the effect of: "When I drafted Plumlee, I expected that it'd take around two years for him to be productive on a NBA team. I think he's made huge strides since I left, and I think he's going to contribute some this year."

In short: Bird sees him as a work-in-progress and was drafted with full understanding of that.
    Translation: "I drafted Plumlee to play a joke on Donnie and Herbie, but then I came back so now I have to make the best of him."
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

We believe in you, Miles!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MvPlumlee For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's been a monster on the boards and has been blocking shots left and right. The team drafted him to be like Jeff Foster. Check out these twitter feeds:

http://alwaysmillertime.com/2013/07/...e-stepping-up/

From the looks of my twitter feed, Mile Plumlee has been a bright spot through two games of summer league action.

Two good games from a guy that I’ve been very vocal about on here. I really do want to see him do something for the Indiana Pacers, hence the harsh criticism. It’s harsh because there’s not been much to see of Plumlee, so there’s not much to take on him. Now this season with the loss of Tyler Hansbrough and Jeff Pendergraph, who’s heading to San Antonio, Plumlee bumps up a roster spot, and could get extra time when Chris Copeland and David West need that breather.
    That’s the perfect time for Plumlee to show that he’s worth the time and effort of his draft status. He was a late draft pick, but still a first round. Those are guys that should come in and be productive for the team. Even in limited action. I feel like Orlando Johnson, who was the second rounder, showed that he has something about him. Now it’s time for Plumlee to step into his role as well.
    The Pacers have been good about draft picks recently, so I want them to be right about Plumlee. He’ll need to continue to refine his game in this summer league, and see what translates to the regular season action. There could be that role he needs to fill, and we’ll see if he can step into it.
    Can't get enough Pacers Content? Be sure to sign up for daily updates:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Lost hope on Plumlee? No. Lost hope on Gerald Green? Yes.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BornReady View Post
    Lost hope on Plumlee? No. Lost hope on Gerald Green? Yes.
    Lost hope on Plumlee? No. Lost hope on Gerald Green? No.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Who, taken after him, would you have taken instead that would be considered a no-brainer 1st round pick? People act like Miles was a lottery pick and we passed on a franchise level player. It was the latter end of the draft, and we went with a developmental big. I don't see what's so stupid about that.

I've always felt posters didn't believe Plumelee was the BPA when Bird picked, even the best big man available. I happen to be one of those that feels that way. No need to re-hash who others felt were better players that were available as it's been done numerous times b4.

I've heard all the excuses as to why Plumlee didn't play last year, and it really boils down to the fact that Plumlee didn't show enough to make Vogel comfortable playing him. You can slice it, dice it, and cut it anyway you want, but that's the bottom line. It's great Plumlee played well in SL, but those players aren't the quality of the majority of those playing in the NBA. Miles needs to be able to "produce" against NBA teams with NBA players. No one hopes he does more than I do. I'd love this coming season to be one where he can be a valuable rotational player. I won't hold my breath he will, but I will cross my fingers in hope that he can. Plumlee can't disappoint me like Green has, b/c I never had any high hopes for him to start with like I did Green. Miles can't go down as he can only go up, and that's upon him to do so.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I've heard all the excuses as to why Plumlee didn't play last year, and it really boils down to the fact that Plumlee didn't show enough to make Vogel comfortable playing him. You can slice it, dice it, and cut it anyway you want, but that's the bottom line.
    To me, the bottom line is we had Roy, Ian, David, Tyler, and even Jeff already on the roster, and no one was going to play over any of them.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SIR-LANCE-ALOT View Post
    why would we give up on a player picked that late in the draft and hasnt had to opportunity in a nba game to play, theres alot of successfull big men that took years to get to where they are, shaq even d-coward, hakeem, rick smits etc etc all took years to be the all star they are and were, i say hire rick smits and let him teach him a few things, doesnt smits still live in Indy? let the big man develop, he showed that he can at least be a shot blocker and a rebounder, theres alot of big men still in the league who cant really score but earn their money by rebounding and shot blocking, the guy has one year on the bench, and being on a veteran team last year, most knew he wouldnt get playing time,

i have faith that he will be a servicable big man, like dale davis type

Please don't insult Dale Davis by using his name in the same sentence with Plumlee.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    There's just not much to talk about I think. He has the physical tools to be a quality player, but we have yet to see his skills and drive against NBA quality players.

Then you of course have the people that will hate him until he's either gone or been here 10 years.

Better yet, produces. Only his producing will bring silence.

The Pacers gave David Harrison 4 LONG years only to be a late 1st round bust. Maybe it's that memory that makes posters have little confidence in Plumlee.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I never had any faith in him. I spoke down on him all year. This year, it's quite the opposite of being down on him. I know it's summer league, but he really looked like Fort Wayne helped him and that he might be ready for a shot. I am more high on him now than I ever have been.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ECKrueger View Post
    To me, the bottom line is we had Roy, Ian, David, Tyler, and even Jeff already on the roster, and no one was going to play over any of them.
    If anyone were better or had the potential to be better, they would have played over at least Tyler and Pendy. It's not like their production was so strong that it couldn't have been duplicated or replaced (and this is from a Tyler fan-boy)

If Plumlee can be a more athletic Samuel Dalembert and just come in and grab boards and block shots, I'm good with it. I don't expect him to be dominant offensively and we don't really need that.

Mood

Not hope, no. I have hope that the staff can develop him.

He may develop. He may not. He is worth taking a chance on and he's cheap. He may or may not amount to much.

He was an end of the 1st round big man rookie. Expecting anyone drafted there to get significant minutes as a rookie is not realistic. At that point in the draft we are talking about players who are more likely to be busts than starters, and we are talking about teams with a lot of talent already. So a combination of not really be ready to play, and having enough talent on the team Vogel wasn't forced to play him is the reason he didn't play. Now, that has no bearing on him being ready to play this next season.

I do remember hearing about Harrison in summer league, and how he would dominate centers drafted at higher positions. Summer league is a tricky horse. He probably did so well in SL because he was a skilled center, he just didn't have the work ethic to make it translate against better competition. Likewise Plumlee has the physical gifts to be in the NBA, the question is does he have the work ethic to make those gifts translate into real NBA games. In my opinion, if a player can be one of the better players in SL they are capable of being at worst a rotational player in the NBA. If they don't become that then there is most likely a desire/work ethic problem instead of a skill/physical gift problem.

Sports Logo

Too early to tell IMO

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    He was an end of the 1st round big man rookie. Expecting anyone drafted there to get significant minutes as a rookie is not realistic. At that point in the draft we are talking about players who are more likely to be busts than starters, and we are talking about teams with a lot of talent already. So a combination of not really be ready to play, and having enough talent on the team Vogel wasn't forced to play him is the reason he didn't play. Now, that has no bearing on him being ready to play this next season.

I do remember hearing about Harrison in summer league, and how he would dominate centers drafted at higher positions. Summer league is a tricky horse. He probably did so well in SL because he was a skilled center, he just didn't have the work ethic to make it translate against better competition. Likewise Plumlee has the physical gifts to be in the NBA, the question is does he have the work ethic to make those gifts translate into real NBA games. In my opinion, if a player can be one of the better players in SL they are capable of being at worst a rotational player in the NBA. If they don't become that then there is most likely a desire/work ethic problem instead of a skill/physical gift problem.
    I got the impression that Harrison did not care about playing but wanted the contract. Lot's of ticky tack injuries and illnesses (ala Tinsley). When he wanted to produce, he did. It wasn't a matter of talent. His telling moment for me was his "comeback" with MIN. He impressed them enough to give him a contract during training camp and make a spot for him. As soon as pre season started, he told them he had some minor injury. He got released right after and that ended his career, even though he made overtures for yet another comeback. He was just a head case and all Gm's knew it.

Plumlee at least doesn't have that problem.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Harrison was also an unapologetic pothead

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Die hard Pacers fan!!!!! SIR-LANCE-ALOT's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Please don't insult Dale Davis by using his name in the same sentence with Plumlee.
    not saying he will be dale davis, but we all know dale wasnt known for his offense or his shooting stroke, but he did all the dirty work similar to Foster, im hoping plumlee can carve a niche like that at first, we all dont know what type of work ethic plumlee has, so we are just going off of him sitting on the bench, its not like he stunk up the d-league when he was sent there, he doesnt smoke trees like harrison, or plumlee doesnt seem like hes not coachable, remember hibbert looked uncoordinated and awkward when he first got here, nobody wouldve thought he was a all star center in the nba

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    If anyone were better or had the potential to be better, they would have played over at least Tyler and Pendy.
    I disagree. Tyler and Pendy were on their last year and the coaches knew that. They wanted to see if they can contribute or at the very least showcase them in case they attract enough interest from other teams.

I could see someone playing over Ian in case he didn't perform since Ian has more years in his contract. But for Tyler and Pendy it was their last chance to prove something and thus they'd get PT.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I disagree. Tyler and Pendy were on their last year and the coaches knew that. They wanted to see if they can contribute or at the very least showcase them in case they attract enough interest from other teams.

I could see someone playing over Ian in case he didn't perform since Ian has more years in his contract. But for Tyler and Pendy it was their last chance to prove something and thus they'd get PT.
    As much as he gets shortchanged around here, Tyler was still or best bench player last year. Swapping out your best bench guy for a project rookie doesn't make sense.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    If anyone were better or had the potential to be better, they would have played over at least Tyler and Pendy. It's not like their production was so strong that it couldn't have been duplicated or replaced (and this is from a Tyler fan-boy)
    Wouldn't factors like experience, understanding the game, where to be on the floor and how to execute the plays play into whether Vogel chooses Players like Hansbrough and Pendy over a rookie?

Clearly, Plumlee...in his rookie season....at times, looked lost out there. Given that Plumlee doesn't seem to be a "low basketball IQ" Player.....I chalk that up to be more a lack of experience.

To me, it's pretty straight forward......Vogel prefers to have the more experienced Player over the one that doesn't. Maybe it's a matter of "earning his stripes" when it comes to Vogel. So, I can see why a Player like Hansbrough and Pendy got regular playing time over Plumlee. As Bird suggested and alluded to....he's a project that he expects to develop over the first 2 seasons.

JMHO....but to me, it doesn't AUTOMATICALLY mean that Plumlee is a "bust" just because a seemingly "low-production" Bench Player like Hansbrough and Pendy was playing ahead of a late 1st round Pick in his rookie year. It just means that Plumlee isn't ready last season to make any meaningful impact now ( as in his Rookie year )......but it doesn't mean that he can't be ready by the end of this next season.

I'm not saying that Plumlee will be some future All Star or that he won't be anything more than a glorified 7 foot Volleyball Player that can jump out of the Gym but can't figure out what to do with a Basketball.....I'm saying what Ragnar ( and many others ) have said....it's too early to tell.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-20-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned
    Mood

I haven't given up on him, but then, I always had realistic expectations for a late 1st round pick. If he can fill a role as a good per-minute rebounder and defender, who scores efficiently on garbage baskets, he'll be a solid addition to the bench.