Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: Most impactful sports moment

  1. #26

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That one was harder than the UConn game next year? The only reason I would say I would expect UConn to be tougher to swallow is because UConn was a much crappier team than that Duke. Granted Butler was also worse too. I know the loss to Duke was heart breaking becuase of how competitive that game was, but if I was Butler fan I would really feel like we missed a chance against UConn the next year.
    I know I'm biased, but Butler wasn't going to win that game. I had actually never been more confident in a Uconn men's team, despite the fact that they were relatively crappy. Kemba wasn't going to lose. In fact, I was significantly more confident in the men than the women. (The women had broken the NCAA college basketball win streak that season. But unfortunately, I was right..)

    Ugliest game ever though.

  2. #27
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,007

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    It's just incredible when you compare the Louisville-Michigan game to the UConn-Butler one. Louisville-Michigan was a high quality championship against two elite teams who were definitely the best of the best. It was just tremendous physical, high quality, efficient, beautiful basketball. One of the best games I've seen. Butler-UConn, OTOH, was the polar opposite. Just ugly, sloppy basketball. That Butler team wasn't near as good as the Butler team that played Duke.

  3. #28
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,475

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    I have quite a few but these come to mind:

    My junior year of high school at TH North we went to the Evansville semi-state with most talented team there ( I was a manager). We got beat by one of the Evansville teams which then got beat by Damon Bailey's team. The guys on the team were so down because they knew they ha a chance to go to state right there.

    My second one is IU winning the title in '87. I was in Dover, Delaware on a college visitation trip during spring break. I'm sure the other guests were wondering why a bunch of high school kids were running around screaming and cheering

    My next two were when I was at IU my freshman year. The game we beat Ohio State and stormed the field afterward was so fun. The 10 foot drop from the stands to the field not so much. Carrying the goal post across the field, priceless. The second at IU was not so great. I got tickets to the Illinois game when Jay Edwards hit an amazing shot to tie the game only to have Nick Anderson come down to bury a shot at the buzzer to win it. Assembly Hall went silent.

    My last one was the game Manu caught he bat. We were sitting at the end of the court he carried the bat to. He was 10 feet away when he dropped it off. A close second to this was the pacers spurs game where I met Seth. My wife was more impressed with Austin C. Who was doing radio that game.

  4. #29
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ugliest game ever though.
    The IU/Maryland 2002 title game isn't far off the pace, either.

  5. #30
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,305
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Worst moment............. 1970's early 80's. IU vs Nebraska 76-???? pretty sure it had a zero at the front of the IU score. In a pouring down rain. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate bleachers? Well have I ever mentioned how much I hate people opening umbrella's in front of me?

    Wait.....the Pacer telethon would be a really close second.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

  6. #31
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,300
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    One of the more hilarious moments I ever witnessed in person was at the Terre Haute North vs Terre Haute South Bell game one of the years I was there. The game was always intense, and I remember the South fans talking a LOT of trash as we were on our way out to the field. We won the toss and received. Everyone was on their feet waiting on the kickoff. Always a big moment. They kick off, we set up our block to return, then our returner takes the opening kickoff 93 yards to the house, Devin Hester style. If you've never seen 8,000 people sit down and shut up in unison, it's pretty funny. We beat their *** in that game so bad...tons of fun.

  7. #32
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment




  8. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Phil winning the open yesterday will go down has one of my favorite moments in sport.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  10. #34
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Phil winning the open yesterday will go down has one of my favorite moments in sport.
    ...why?

  11. #35
    Believe in Roy! boombaby1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I would say the US goal vs Algeria has got to be up there for me,
    @qandrews9428

  12. #36
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,007

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...why?

    Because it was one of the most incredible final rounds in PGA history. It was a special moment for those of us who are fans of Mickelson. It was huge for Lefty's career and legacy. He has been phenomenal at The Masters with his three Green Jackets, but he has had bad fortune in the other three majors. Winning the British Open with an epic comeback is just phenomenal, especially considering that it comes just a month after his brutal second place finish at the US Open.

    I sure hope that Lefty gets that US Open someday and completes the grand slam.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-23-2013 at 11:20 AM.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  14. #37
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,300
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because it was one of the most incredible final rounds in PGA history. It was a special moment for those of us who are fans of Mickelson. It was huge for Lefty's career and legacy. He has been phenomenal at The Masters with his three Green Jackets, but he has had bad fortune in the other three majors. Winning the British Open with an epic comeback is just phenomenal, especially considering that it comes just a month after his brutal second finish at the US Open.

    I sure hope that Lefty gets that US Open someday and completes the grand slam.
    I thought a grand slam was winning all 4 majors in one year.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  16. #38
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,007

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought a grand slam was winning all 4 majors in one year.

    Yeah, I should have said "career grand slam". Only five players have done it.

  17. #39
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because it was one of the most incredible final rounds in PGA history. It was a special moment for those of us who are fans of Mickelson. It was huge for Lefty's career and legacy. He has been phenomenal at The Masters with his three Green Jackets, but he has had bad fortune in the other three majors. Winning the British Open with an epic comeback is just phenomenal, especially considering that it comes just a month after his brutal second place finish at the US Open.

    I sure hope that Lefty gets that US Open someday and completes the grand slam.
    I mean, most impactful sports moments for you of all time, and you guys are picking that one? Just seems a little reactionary, that's all. I guess I can't say I'm unbiased either. I have heard Mickelson is kind of a prick away from the cameras.

  18. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean, most impactful sports moments for you of all time, and you guys are picking that one? Just seems a little reactionary, that's all. I guess I can't say I'm unbiased either. I have heard Mickelson is kind of a prick away from the cameras.
    I could care less if he is a prick which I doubt. He has had a legendary career and yesterday was the top of the mountain. That was the best round of golf I had ever watched. It isn't reactionary at all a 66 on a Sunday to win a tourney I personally though he could never win is amazing. Sunday will be what I always think about when I think British Open. It should go down as one of the best moments in golf history. I am a huge Golf fan though it's my favorite sport after basketball. Tiger winning the US Open at Torrey is the only other moment that matches Phil yesterday to me. Phil winning the British is unbelievable his game is terrible for over there. He likes spinning the ball around the greens and loves hitting the ball a mile in the air you can't do that in euro.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  20. #41
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,007

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean, most impactful sports moments for you of all time, and you guys are picking that one? Just seems a little reactionary, that's all. I guess I can't say I'm unbiased either. I have heard Mickelson is kind of a prick away from the cameras.
    Is he a prick, or are the other players jealous of his incredible talent and the attention that is given to him?

  21. #42
    Member TinManJoshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,383

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    My favorite moments:

    The US goal vs. Algeria was incredible, and the reaction videos were great. 'Murica.

    8 points 9 seconds. It was a miracle.

    The one for me though was KSU's homecoming 2010. We played Akron, who was just 12 miles down the road. The overall series was tied. The last four years they beat us, which brought the series so close. At the time it was the closest rivalry in all of college sports both in terms of proximity of the schools to one another and the overall record. It wasn't a great crowd, but it was the best student section I've seen at KSU. It wasn't that close a game, 28-17. But the second the clock hit zero, our team bolted to their sideline to grab the wheel. The students then followed. It was incredible being a part of that, and it was the moment I realized that the athletics department of the college I went to officially meant more to me than the one I grew up rooting for.

    In hindsight, the 2002 elite 8 game was also great. I grew up in Monroe County, was an IU fan, and years later I would be a Golden Flash.

    Last year watching Kent make their first bowl game in 40 years was amazing. I was sitting right behind the bench when Chris Evans hit the buzzer beater against Buffalo in overtime.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:


  23. #43
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is he a prick, or are the other players jealous of his incredible talent and the attention that is given to him?
    That's not coming from other players.

  24. #44

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    MOMENTS OF PURE ELATION:

    1. Glad someone already mentioned Landon Donovan vs Algeria. I can be intense while I'm watching sports, but usually "intensely silent", if that makes sense. When that ball hit the back of the net, I just jumped to my feet, shouted and started aimlessly charging around in circles. I was actually late to drive out to my friends' lakehouse because of that game, but never have I been more willing to give up an hour of drinking and boating than I was for that. Hard to describe the feeling, especially when it feels like everything is stacked against you until that one moment...

    2. Colts winning AFCCG vs Pats. It wasn't any one moment (though Addai's TD and Brady's INT were huge exclamation marks, obviously), but rather just the culmination of that emotional climb in the 2nd half. Starting from down 21-6, everyone in the room too dejected to do anything but start drinking heavily and lamenting another pissed-away postseason, to faint hope, to a tie game, to the rollercoaster remainder. Was watching with 6 or 7 of my best friends at the time and we just collapsed into a pile of unbridled joy at the end (I'd say "no homo", but that's played out, and I think someone grabbed my ***). Victory dinner and drinking was SO sweet that night!

    3. The Wat Shot, just because of the catharsis element. My IU experience was 1.5 years of Sampson and 2 years of Crean. I sat through every damn one of those Crean games where the team just got clobbered and was embarrassingly overmatched. That shot was the most well-earned "f you, sports world, you're not going to hold us back any longer" moment I can readily summon. Again, I danced around like an idiot, because it was such a distinct MOMENT, not just a result. Like when your favorite fighter finally finds his rhythm again and lands a beautiful haymaker, and you know he's back in this fight for good now. That tourney matchup between IU-UK was a thing of beauty too -- amazing offensive game, toughest team UK played in the tourney, just an all-time great CBB team for UK.

    MOMENTS OF HELL YES:

    1. I know no one really gives a crap about what anyone did in HS, but whatever -- in HS, I played right wing for our soccer team. I wasn't much of a scorer...I mean, I scored occasionally, but I wasn't a focal point. My job from age 10 on was pretty simple: beat the other team down the wing, cross it in, put it on someone's head, goal. I got really good at it through the years, even if I never developed much of a shooting touch. Anyway, whenever we'd make it to shootouts (usually winter league we did just to stay in shape), coach would always put me 4th or 5th in order. I don't know if that was strategic or just winging it or whatever. But for whatever shooting touch I lacked (I'm not a powerful shooter) during regulation, I was like the Adam Vinatieri of PK shootouts. It's a dumb stat only I care about, but I participated in 5 total in my competitive soccer life. I buried 4 shots, had 1 deflected (indoor, where it's harder). Of the 4 shots I buried, 3 actually won the game on that shot, 1 evened us up. I never was a basketball player, but I imagine that's what you feel like when you win the game on YOUR shot. Team literally rushes you and collapses on you, lifts you up...it's nuts.

    2. Of all the Pacers moments I could list, the one that sticks with me most? Heat-Pacers playoff game (pre-LeBron, when it was DWade and...um...) where Pacers were thoroughly in control throughout. Reggie hit this shot and the place just went nuts. It's not like it was the most impressive shot of his career, nor a super pivotal moment. But it was just so vintage Reggie, and I had 2nd row seats, so seeing that up close and personal was just...you don't get to see your childhood hero working his magic that close, usually.

    3. Courtside seats! It was A) during the Murphleavy Era, B) vs Hawks while Pacers were getting drubbed and C) only for one quarter. But I felt like the coolest guy in Indianapolis actually sitting on the floor. I was fairly inebriated, and it kept occurring to me that I could accidentally affect a NBA game if I spilled my beer. That thought just kept blowing my mind. That, and I got to "trash talk" Josh Smith (nothing obnoxious or mean, just fun!)

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  26. #45
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,007

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could care less if he is a prick which I doubt. He has had a legendary career and yesterday was the top of the mountain. That was the best round of golf I had ever watched. It isn't reactionary at all a 66 on a Sunday to win a tourney I personally though he could never win is amazing. Sunday will be what I always think about when I think British Open. It should go down as one of the best moments in golf history. I am a huge Golf fan though it's my favorite sport after basketball. Tiger winning the US Open at Torrey is the only other moment that matches Phil yesterday to me. Phil winning the British is unbelievable his game is terrible for over there. He likes spinning the ball around the greens and loves hitting the ball a mile in the air you can't do that in euro.
    Yeah, I didn't know if he could ever win a British because of his style. Lefty likes to rip out the big dog, swing out the backside, spin the ball, and attack. That's why he has three green jackets in his closet. Augusta is perfect for his style of play. I agree with you, his performance at the British was an incredible thing to watch. I hope that he wins a few more majors.

  27. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not coming from other players.
    I mean he is a professional golfer I wouldn't expect him to be a great guy. To play any sport at the level these guys do they have no time to develop social skills. I expect guys like Phil, Tiger and Ryan Braun and what not to be dicks. Being a prodigy and working as hard as these guys do every since they were kids to be great it is hard to be good at anything else. I played vs Patrick Rodgers in HS and the kid was very naive he couldn't hold a normal convo all he wanted to talk about is golf that is his life, and that is the reason he is so good at it.

  28. #47
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,636

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mean he is a professional golfer I wouldn't expect him to be a great guy. To play any sport at the level these guys do they have no time to develop social skills. I expect guys like Phil, Tiger and Ryan Braun and what not to be dicks. Being a prodigy and working as hard as these guys do every since they were kids to be great it is hard to be good at anything else. I played vs Patrick Rodgers in HS and the kid was very naive he couldn't hold a normal convo all he wanted to talk about is golf that is his life, and that is the reason he is so good at it.
    I can't even begin to dive into how violently I disagree with the entire premise of your post. It is wildly idiotic at best.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Bosh aiming to be impactful against Pacers (Yahoo! Sports) [Y! Sports]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 06:00 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 06:10 PM
  3. My favorite moment...
    By bulletproof in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 03:26 AM
  4. OT- One Shining Moment
    By diego in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 07:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •