Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most impactful sports moment

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Most impactful sports moment

What is that one sports moment you can remember that impacted you so much that it will never leave your mind, good or bad. For me, it was when Helio Castroneves won the first race of the 2012 IndyCar season at St. Petersburg. When he stopped at Dan Wheldon Way, that just made me lose it and I was in tears as Dan was a friend of mine. That moment will never leave me for the rest of my life
    Smothered Chicken!

Default Re: Most impactful sports moment

In no particular order:
    Pacers television opening of first game of the 2000 NBA Championship
    Colts final moments of AFCC over NE to reach SB
    Colts winning SB
    Earnhardt wreck/death at Daytona
    Wheldon wreck/death at Las Vegas
    Prince's block of Reggie as Reggie went for tying basket.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Most impactful sports moment ...............

Bad hop on a grounder when i was about 13-14 yrs old.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

LOL@PacerDude.....same experience with a tennis ball (my first wife had a NASTY slice serve).

1a) Talking one-on-one with Tony Hinkle
    1b) Jr. scoring the only point of his basketball "career" in the last seconds of the last game of his 8th grade year. (never played organized ball again)
    2) America beating Russia in Olympic Hockey
    3) Getting the autograph of Virgil (Fire) Trucks...... Detroit pitcher back in the 50's
    4) Watching my dad roll 9 straight strikes....a spare...and a strike in league play in Terre Haute.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

The Rams Super Bowl win in '00. Up to that point, my teams hadn't really been close to a title in my lifetime (I was 1 when the Cards had made their last WS appearance in '87).
    Equally, the Rams Super Bowl loss in '02 was gut wrenching.
    Illini's Elite 8 comeback against Arizona, loss to UNC in '05 title game
    Cards WS wins in '06 and '11 (makes me almost forget the sweep to the Sox in '04).
    Game 6. 2011...all that needs to be said.

As far as events that I actually attended: I'm not a huge motorsports fan, but I was at the Pepsi 400 in 2001, first race at Daytona after Earnhardt died. Jr won that day, Waltrip finished 2nd (reverse finish of the 500). Grown men were hugging, crying, high fiving...it was amazing to witness.

Reggie's last game.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

I have only been really impacted by sports I actually have played in. Nailing a penalty shot in a shootout to decide my leagues soccer championship when I was 15 was the best moment I have ever had with sports. Nothing in sports that I am watching can replicate that tremendous feeling of that day. I can still describe everything in detail about that shot and everything leading up to and after the shot.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reggie getting an ovation after Larry Brown called a timeout was unbelievable. Glad I was there
    Ozzie Smith retiring
    Cardinals winning it in 06
    Colts winning the Superbowl
    My College Basketball team winning a tournament game on a last second three

Eight Points Nine Seconds (the first memory of a specific play I have)
    Memorial Day Miracle
    Reggie's Last Game
    Marlin Jackson Interception
    Peyton's retirement
    (and the weird one) Hansbrough stealing the ball for Boozer in Game 1 of the 2011 playoffs against the Bulls and getting the dunk. To me that was the start of a new era for the Pacers.

billbradley

That Larry Johnson play killed me.

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .............. Peyton's retirement ..........
    Did I miss something ??

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    What is that one sports moment you can remember that impacted you so much that it will never leave your mind, good or bad. For me, it was when Helio Castroneves won the first race of the 2012 IndyCar season at St. Petersburg. When he stopped at Dan Wheldon Way, that just made me lose it and I was in tears as Dan was a friend of mine. That moment will never leave me for the rest of my life
    The Cubs choking vs the Marlins followed closely by the Cubs choking vs the Dodgers a few years later. The Dodgers series really sting because I sat through in at Wrigley. Just sad to be a Cubs fan lol.

Basketball would have to be the Luke Zeller shot in the state finals. I was sitting behind the basket and mid air I said "that is going in"

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Watford's shot to beat Kentucky in 2011. I was in the building that night and it is still the best single moment of my life.

Good memories:

1. Colts AFC Championship game against the Pats. I was there in person and there's no way that anything could ever top this.

2. Colts Super Bowl win against the Bears. I can't put it into words how special it was seeing an Indy team win a championship and sit at the top of the sports world.

3. Pacers beat the Knicks to win Game 6 of the 2000 ECF's. Talk about getting a giant monkey off of your back.

4. Reggie pushing off 45 and hitting that shot against the Bulls.

5. IU's memorable run to the 2002 NCAA Championship game.

6. The 2013 Pacers run was pretty damn incredible. For Game 4 against the Knicks, I had Legends seats that were given to me as a gift, and I have to say that was probably the best in-person experience I've had at a Pacer game.

7. Yankees win 2009 World Series as A-Rod shuts up all of the naysayers by morphing into A-Ruth during the 09 postseason. I've also seen five games in person at the new Yankee Stadium and those are some of the best in-person sports memories that I've ever had. I get chills going up there.

8. Colts 2012 season. The Packers win and Pagano comeback game against the Texans really stick out.

9. The 2012 Super Bowl experience in Indianapolis. It was just a completely magical moment for the city, especially since the weather was so unusually warm. The game was pretty damn good too.

Bad memories:

1. Wheldon death. This is obviously on a completely different planet since it involved the death of a human being. It was a sad reminder as to how dangerous the sport can still be. Just a tragic loss for the sport after coming off of his second 500 win. He was a great personality for the sport.

2. Colts lose 2010 Super Bowl against the Saints. This one stings more and more as time goes on, especially considering that Manning only played here for one more season after that. Just think if the Colts would have won that game. We would have had two Super Bowls in a four year span. Damn Damn Damn.

3. Colts lose to Steelers in 05 playoffs. Just a soul-crushing defeat.

4. Pacers Game 4 against the Lakers. Kobe ripped our heart out in OT. Just imagine if we tie the series up with Game 5 in Indy?

5. The back to back brutal Colts losses to the Pats after the 03 and 04 seasons.

6. The LJ 4 point play and losing that series in 1999. The LJ play sticks out, but the fact is that we actually won game 4 after that and tied the series up. We lost that series when we blew Game 5 at home. Losing two home games in that series completely killed us.

.....I'm sure that there are some good and bad moments that I left out, but all of those really stick out for me.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Most impactful sports moment ...............

Bad hop on a grounder when i was about 13-14 yrs old.
    In this regard, I'll nominate the near concussion when Marlin picked off Brady and for one glorious moment I had a vertical jump comparable to an NBA player.

I never looked at that fire exit sign the same again.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I have so many really when I look back on it.

I was in the building for the Tayshaun block and I was in the building the game before for the game 1 winning Reggie 3, I think that was the last one of his career in the playoffs?

Watching the brawl live. Being at the game the next day, and the stadium going crazy for a roster of 6, don't tell me this city can't love this team after that night.

Reggie's countless big moments when I was just a kid in the 90's. Being in the building for Reggie's final game and having to say good bye the way we did, the extra time out called by Larry Brown all the Pistons showing their respect. So glad he went out with guns blazing though, what he'd have 27? #31 truly was one of a kind, a franchise savior in every way and the perfect guy to help Indiana embrace pro ball, a dead eye shooter with a mouth that never stopped.

Colts wise, the Super Bowl win came on my 19th birthday as a freshman in college. So that was pretty crazy. I was there for the win over the Packers last year right after Chuck was diagnosed, Luck running over and pounding the Chuckstrong banner after scoring his rushing TD was a very powerful moment IMO.

IU wise...where to begin. I was in the building for the Wat shot. Then you have the insane second half comeback against Duke, I remember running around my living room screaming like an idiot when Jason Williams missed his FT and we grabbed the rebound.

So many major moments really it's tough for me to pick just one. But it would probably have to be the Wat shot and being in that building, I don't know how to describe 4 years of sucking *** just got blown to hell in the half a second that Watford's jumper hung in the air and then splashed down and then....madness. Hugging, crying, screaming....IU was back. So it would probably have to be that I guess.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 07-18-2013 at 03:44 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Oooh forgot one, Landon Donovan's game winning goal in the last world cup against Algeria to send us past the group phase. GOAL, GOAL USA, DEFINITELY THROUGH!!!

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Good memories:

1. Colts AFC Championship game against the Pats. I was there in person and there's no way that anything could ever top this.

2. Colts Super Bowl win against the Bears. I can't put it into words how special it was seeing an Indy team win a championship and sit at the top of the sports world.

3. Pacers beat the Knicks to win Game 6 of the 2000 ECF's. Talk about getting a giant monkey off of your back.

4. Reggie pushing off 45 and hitting that shot against the Bulls.

5. IU's memorable run to the 2002 NCAA Championship game.

6. The 2013 Pacers run was pretty damn incredible. For Game 4 against the Knicks, I had Legends seats that were given to me as a gift, and I have to say that was probably the best in-person experience I've had at a Pacer game.

7. Yankees win 2009 World Series as A-Rod shuts up all of the naysayers by morphing into A-Ruth during the 09 postseason. I've also seen five games in person at the new Yankee Stadium and those are some of the best in-person sports memories that I've ever had. I get chills going up there.

8. Colts 2012 season. The Packers win and Pagano comeback game against the Texans really stick out.

9. The 2012 Super Bowl experience in Indianapolis. It was just a completely magical moment for the city, especially since the weather was so unusually warm. The game was pretty damn good too.

Bad memories:

1. Wheldon death. This is obviously on a completely different planet since it involved the death of a human being. It was a sad reminder as to how dangerous the sport can still be. Just a tragic loss for the sport after coming off of his second 500 win. He was a great personality for the sport.

2. Colts lose 2010 Super Bowl against the Saints. This one stings more and more as time goes on, especially considering that Manning only played here for one more season after that. Just think if the Colts would have won that game. We would have had two Super Bowls in a four year span. Damn Damn Damn.

3. Colts lose to Steelers in 05 playoffs. Just a soul-crushing defeat.

4. Pacers Game 4 against the Lakers. Kobe ripped our heart out in OT. Just imagine if we tie the series up with Game 5 in Indy?

5. The back to back brutal Colts losses to the Pats after the 03 and 04 seasons.

6. The LJ 4 point play and losing that series in 1999. The LJ play sticks out, but the fact is that we actually won game 4 after that and tied the series up. We lost that series when we blew Game 5 at home. Losing two home games in that series completely killed us.

.....I'm sure that there are some good and bad moments that I left out, but all of those really stick out for me.
    Colts beating NE in the AFC title game is definitely one for me since I was there. But I my view on the thread (doesn't have to be yours) is how sports can bring some kind of closure to a terrible thing that has happened or bring respect and honor towards others with emotion and performances. An example of this for me was even though I'm not a Mets fan was Piazza's homer in the first game at Shea stadium since 9/11.
    Smothered Chicken!

From a pure in the moment sadness, Peyton choking up and saying "It was truly a pleasure being your quarterback" was maybe even worse than the final good bye to Reggie because at least Reggie got one final curtain call performance in front of a packed arena.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Hmm.

The first basketball team I watched had a few, 2001-2002 Uconn Women's basketball team. They are, as a group, the entire reason I'm a fan of basketball. (Especially Sue and Diana.) They were part of some iconic Uconn moments. (Every Uconn fan remembers "I just wanted to punch something orange" and Dee's and one to essentially win the title game. And the ten minutes of the most flawless basketball I have personally ever seen.)

So I think the most impactful moment for me, personally, was seeing 4 members of that team on the Olympic team, with Geno as the coach. I had no way of knowing how great that team was at the time, but it really made me appreciate how special it was. So to see that last season, particularly seeing Sue, Dee, and Geno together..10 years later, was pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Did I miss something ??
    Bah, I meant "retirement" from the Colts I guess. Doh.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    I have only been really impacted by sports I actually have played in. Nailing a penalty shot in a shootout to decide my leagues soccer championship when I was 15 was the best moment I have ever had with sports. Nothing in sports that I am watching can replicate that tremendous feeling of that day. I can still describe everything in detail about that shot and everything leading up to and after the shot.
    The great thing about sports....the older you get the better you were.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Oooh forgot one, Landon Donovan's game winning goal in the last world cup against Algeria to send us past the group phase. GOAL, GOAL USA, DEFINITELY THROUGH!!!

Oh god, yes! I completely forgot about this one. I took the day off work to watch that match live. My friend and I were sitting in my living room, head in hands. When Timmy flung that ball out, we both stood with our hands on our heads, knowing it was the last chance. And good god, did we erupt like the folks in this video. I still get chills watching this video.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

2010 NCAAM National Championship game. Duke vs Butler. Even though it didnt go in, that final shot is my vote. I don't think Ive ever taken a loss as hard as I did that night.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    2010 NCAAM National Championship game. Duke vs Butler. Even though it didnt go in, that final shot is my vote. I don't think Ive ever taken a loss as hard as I did that night.
    That one was harder than the UConn game next year? The only reason I would say I would expect UConn to be tougher to swallow is because UConn was a much crappier team than that Duke. Granted Butler was also worse too. I know the loss to Duke was heart breaking becuase of how competitive that game was, but if I was Butler fan I would really feel like we missed a chance against UConn the next year.