Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

  1. #1

    Default Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/sp...eid=auto&_r=1&


    Olbermann Will Return To ESPN


    ESPN is expected to announce on Wednesday that the former network mainstay Keith Olbermann, who contentiously departed in 1997, will return to host a one-hour, nightly show for ESPN2 later this year, according to three executives with knowledge of the deal but not authorized to speak about it publicly.

    Olbermann, 54, became renowned for co-anchoring ESPN’s “SportsCenter” with Dan Patrick — arguably the most auspicious pairing in the history of the show or the network. He left the show briefly to help launch ESPN2 in October 1993.

    The move to bring Olbermann back after a 16-year absence was the result of 14 months of intense discussion within ESPN and its parent, the Walt Disney Company.

    Within ESPN, there was concern about asking Olbermann back because he left the network under emotionally charged circumstances and because it was feared by some that Olbermann had become too politicized as the host of his interim MSNBC program “Countdown,” which aired from 2003 through January 2011.

    On his new show, Olbermann will be free to discuss matters other than sports, including pop culture and current events, but not politics, the two-year pact specifies.

    While some ESPN insiders reportedly voiced the opinion that Olbermann was part of the network’s past, not its future, his star quality is almost unmatched in the sports television arena; he seems to draw a crowd. Rumors had been bubbling for weeks that ESPN would put aside the difficulties of the past and invite Olbermann back.

    Some of Olbermann’s years since leaving ESPN have been professionally stormy, but controversy has always been part of his public persona. While some of his other network tenures had rocky periods, and some ended badly, his sports knowledge and on-air charisma have never been questioned.

    ESPN executives said Olbermann will help it face the challenge presented by the launch of Fox Sports 1, a rival all-sports network that just announced plans for a potentially similar series to star Regis Philbin, 82.

  2. #2
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,429

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    I give him six months before he burns his bridges and gets fired.... again.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    The guy's a low-IQed circus clown with a set of deranged beliefs. He'll fit right in at ESPN.

  5. #4

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The guy's a low-IQed circus clown with a set of deranged beliefs. He'll fit right in at ESPN.
    He probably thinks evolution is real too. What an idiot!

  6. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He probably thinks evolution is real too. What an idiot!
    If he believes in Darwinian evolution, a failed idea based on mid-19th-century ignorance, which has been hijacked as a creation myth by zany zealots (think Richard Dawkins), then I'd have to agree with you.

    If, on the other hand, he's evolved into the 21st century and accepts the overwhelming evidence which demonstrates life is an information-driven engineered process, then I'd have to disagree.

    "I don't understand it, therefore, randommutationandnaturalselectiondonieit." -- The Origin of Species, summed up in a single sentence.

  7. #6

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he believes in Darwinian evolution, a failed idea based on mid-19th-century ignorance, which has been hijacked as a creation myth by zany zealots (think Richard Dawkins), then I'd have to agree with you.

    If, on the other hand, he's evolved into the 21st century and accepts the overwhelming evidence which demonstrates life is an information-driven engineered process, then I'd have to disagree.

    "I don't understand it, therefore, randommutationandnaturalselectiondonieit." -- The Origin of Species, summed up in a single sentence.
    lulz

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,631

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    This thread has gotten way too serious for having "Keith Olbermann" in the title.

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    lulz
    Your stealth religious motivations are fooling no one.

  12. #9
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,179

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    Another thread derailed by you know who.

  13. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,656
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Another thread derailed by you know who.
    Thingfish.

  14. #11
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,991

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    I like him on ESPN so far. I've enjoyed the couple of segments I've seen about the Yankees and A-Rod. He has good sports wit.

  15. #12

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-re...n-september-2/

    ESPN Shifts Olbermann to Permanent Afternoon Slot in September

    JUST ANNOUNCED ON OLBERMANN –In a move designed to enhance the current ratings growth of the personality-focused ESPN2 lineup, Keith Olbermann’s Emmy-nominated program Olbermann will be shifting to an afternoon time slot on the network on Monday, Sept. 8. The show will continue to be produced live from ABC’s Times Square studios in New York City and will air daily at 5 p.m. ET followed by Outside the Lines, hosted by Bob Ley.
    “Keith has had a fantastic return to ESPN and we’re proud of the quality content featured in the first year of Olbermann, immediately garnering the program its first Emmy nomination,” said Norby Williamson, executive vice president of program scheduling & development. “We feel that strategically shifting the time of this show will not only provide access to a broader audience, but gives us greater flexibility for Keith to do cross-platform opportunities, including hosting key editions of SportsCenter surrounding major news or events throughout the year, while enabling us to secure a more consistent time slot to showcase his distinctive voice.”
    The program will continue to feature Olbermann’s signature opening monologues that tackle the day’s most relevant sports topics, along with the popular “World’s Worst” segment. Since highlights are a fan-favorite of Olbermann, Keith will continue with packages driven by his sports knowledge, passion for the games and awareness of pop culture touch points. The revised show format will feature a bevy of new analytical, entertaining and occasionally offbeat highlight treatments. Interviews and contributors will remain part of the content mix of Olbermann.
    “Keith delivers a unique mix of humor, intelligence and gravitas while tackling complex topics such as the Washington NFL team name controversy and athlete concussions,” Williamson continued. “The back to back positioning of two powerhouse journalistic voices such as Keith and Bob within our ESPN2 programming is perfect for a network that is enjoying strong ratings growth this year.”
    “As I like to say on the air, I’ve done all the damage I can do here in late night,” said Keith Olbermann. “I’m very proud that we’ve accomplished what John Skipper asked me to do more than a year ago: We’ve established a franchise, thwarted what we thought might have developed into an external challenge, and made the world safe for even more and even newer dumb catchphrases. Onwards and upwards to 5:00 PM. Excelsior!”
    Olbermann and Outside the Lines complete an ESPN2 lineup that includes diverse and unique voices such as: Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless and Cari Champion on First Take; Michael Smith and Jemele Hill on Numbers Never Lie; Colin Cowherd on You Herd Me; Dan LeBatard, Bomani Jones and Gonzalo “Papi” LeBatard on Highly Questionable; and Michelle Beadle, Max Kellerman and Marcellus Wiley on SportsNation.

  16. #13
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,429

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    Hopefully he acts better on ESPN2 than he did the first time around.....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  17. #14

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hopefully he acts better on ESPN2 than he did the first time around.....
    been on there for a good long while now. the ratings suck and they keep bouncing its' timeslot all over the place. I watch it on youtube when he's got something interesting. he killed the MLB about Pete Rose still being suspended a couple days ago, was a great segment. guy's a douche most of the time, hell, all of the time, but when he's got a point he makes the hell outta it.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  19. #15
    Member joew8302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,719
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Keith Olbermann will return to ESPN

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    been on there for a good long while now. the ratings suck and they keep bouncing its' timeslot all over the place. I watch it on youtube when he's got something interesting. he killed the MLB about Pete Rose still being suspended a couple days ago, was a great segment. guy's a douche most of the time, hell, all of the time, but when he's got a point he makes the hell outta it.
    I agree with all of this. When he makes a point he dwells on it until your eyes and ears start to bleed. Make your point, provide a justification and move on already!

Similar Threads

  1. Keith Smart out as Golden State Warriors coach [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 02:56 PM
  2. Keith Bogans will start for the Chicago Bulls [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 04:00 PM
  3. Keith Olbermann off of NBC's Football Night in America
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •