Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Paul George and Pacers have touched base on contract

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George and Pacers have touched base on contract

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nothing official. That would - more or less - be the frontloaded number.

My guess is that it's a flat deal. Pacers - in practice - prefer them (Hill, Green, Mahinmi, West's 1st deal).
    The deal is 12 - 12 - 12.6 (player option).

http://data.shamsports.com/content/p...ies/pacers.jsp
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by blanket View Post
    Maybe at the trade deadline we could trade Green/Granger for a draft pick and a lesser player on a expiring deal (I'm thinking Richard Jefferson, Ben Gordon, or Emeka Okafor) to a team fighting to make the playoffs. That would free up enough money to sign our draft picks in 14/15, plus maybe another low price FA next summer, while still allowing for PG at 30% max contract and Lance at $6M/yr. Guess it depends on how Granger performs the first few months of the season.
    You're right, we'd have to find some Playoff Bubble Team that would be interested in making a Playoff push....but I think that it's going to be hard to match the roughly $14.3 to $21.6 mil in Expiring Contracts to match Granger+Green's combined Salaries.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

We don't want to match a deal. We can offer him a 5 year deal and we most certainly need to do that

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    The Pacers should not give him a 30 pct max.. He isn't worth it and basically the Pacers are the only team that can give him it anyway.
    I agree. I understand the situation could open up a tougher than normal negotiation, but at the same time you need to be realistic and understand why it is that you are able to have all those teammates you enjoy being around so much. It's not a hometown discount or BS like that, but it's knowing that there is a fixed pie and that by being smart about the piece you take you can have more strong teammates which creates a happier work environment for you (and drives more personal success as well).

To me West, Hill and Roy all got FAIR MARKET value. We keep having people pop up that hate at least one of those deals even still, and yet plenty of other teams would love to pay those salaries to have them on their team. Fans don't like fair, they want a bunch of crazy bargains or something which just isn't realistic.

Bad deals are more like the deal Richard Jefferson got going to the Spurs, which is ironic since someone mentioned how it would be nice to get to their position where they can drive tough FA deals.

A starting 5 with Granger back at perhaps 12m and Paul getting the 14-15m he will get is still about the same amount of cap being spent as Miami is spending on just the big 3. To me spending just as much for a big 5 is a different but equal approach.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I agree. I understand the situation could open up a tougher than normal negotiation, but at the same time you need to be realistic and understand why it is that you are able to have all those teammates you enjoy being around so much. It's not a hometown discount or BS like that, but it's knowing that there is a fixed pie and that by being smart about the piece you take you can have more strong teammates which creates a happier work environment for you (and drives more personal success as well).

To me West, Hill and Roy all got FAIR MARKET value. We keep having people pop up that hate at least one of those deals even still, and yet plenty of other teams would love to pay those salaries to have them on their team. Fans don't like fair, they want a bunch of crazy bargains or something which just isn't realistic.

Bad deals are more like the deal Richard Jefferson got going to the Spurs, which is ironic since someone mentioned how it would be nice to get to their position where they can drive tough FA deals.

A starting 5 with Granger back at perhaps 12m and Paul getting the 14-15m he will get is still about the same amount of cap being spent as Miami is spending on just the big 3. To me spending just as much for a big 5 is a different but equal approach.
    How on Earth are we going to afford Granger at 12mil a year? I'm guessing bye bye to Lance then in that scenario.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I keep thinking about Bird's repeated and clear message that the team isn't going to go over the cap, and I've wondered why he makes such a point of communicating this publicly.

I've wondered if some of it is laying out the groundwork for a future negotiation this offseason with Paul. If in fact Paul relishes the team that's assembled around him at this moment in time, there are clear data to suggest that asking for more than the traditional "Hibbert-level" max contract will break up the Granger-George duo given the other starting three. It's basic math once the spending cap is established.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    How on Earth are we going to afford Granger at 12mil a year? I'm guessing bye bye to Lance then in that scenario.
    Yep, you'd flip Lance (given his success this upcoming year) into a future pick and/or a way to jettison Green.

I'm still quite worried about Granger's joints though.

Granger isn't getting $12m from anyone. That's overpaying by like double.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersCenter View Post
    This is what I got from the interview. Colin really wants Paul George to go to LA.
    Lol, him and Skip Bayless. Just imagine if those two had a show of their own. They are both dbags beyond the normalcy of dbags x Pi...........
    What Lebron James should've said after the loss to the Mavs!
    What should I do? Should I admit I’d made mistakes? Should I remind you I’ve done this before? What should I do? Should I just sell shoes?

Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar

Bird will pick Lance over Granger is he's forced to choose between the two. Larry Bird loves Lance more than anyone on this forum. He drafted him. He stuck by him through immaturity problems and potential character concerns. He watched him exceed expectations in his first year getting significant minutes. And he knows that Lance is 7 1/2 years younger than Granger and doesn't play the same position as Paul George.

I'm sure Bird would love to keep Lance and Danny. But if he has to pick one, I know who it'll be.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CooperManning For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

According to Shamsports ( and assuming that Copeland has a salary of about $3+ mil ) , the Pacers would be around $52 mil next season with the following Players signed along with Team Options / Unguaranteed Contracts picked up ( 10 Players ):

GH/West/Hibbert/CJ/Copeland/Mahinmi/Green/Solo/OJ/Plumlee/Sloan

That would mean that the Pacers would have about $25 mil to spend to sign 3 Players.

Assuming the 30% MAX for PG ( based off of count55's estimate of $17.5 mil ):

- Then that would mean that the Pacers would have about $7.5 mil to spend on 2 Players. WITHOUT doing anything, I think that the Pacers could draft their 2014-2015 1st round pick ( assuming that he's the 20th pick...at worst....with a Starting Salary of $1.2 mil ) and Lance could be signed for that much for a Salary starting around $6.3 mil.

- If Lance isn't the guy to keep and Granger is the guy to keep.......then the Pacers MUST move either Green or Mahinmi in a package with the 2014-2015 1st Round Pick...JUST to have $11 to 11.5 mil in CapSpace to spend on 3 Players ( with Granger taking up the majority of that ).

I keep on getting back to this based off of the #s.....I think that it will be much easy to re-sign Lance than it will be to re-sign Granger....but BOTH Granger and Lance? very difficult IMHO. The only way that Granger AND Lance can be re-signed is if ( A ) Granger can take $9 mil a year or less, ( B ) Lance takes about $6 mil a year, ( C ) PG takes less than the MAX AND ( D ) the FO is able to move Green, Mahinmi and the 2014-2015 1st round pick.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-18-2013 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    According to Shamsports ( and assuming that Copeland has a salary of about $3+ mil ) , the Pacers would be around $52 mil next season with the following Players signed along with Team Options / Unguaranteed Contracts picked up ( 10 Players ):

GH/West/Hibbert/CJ/Copeland/Mahinmi/Green/Solo/OJ/Plumlee/Sloan

That would mean that the Pacers would have about $25 mil to spend to sign 3 Players.

Assuming the 30% MAX for PG ( based off of count55's estimate of $17.5 mil ):

- Then that would mean that the Pacers would have about $7.5 mil to spend on 2 Players. WITHOUT doing anything, I think that the Pacers could draft their 2014-2015 1st round pick ( assuming that he's the 20th pick...at worst....with a Starting Salary of $1.2 mil ) and Lance could be signed for that much for a Salary starting around $6.3 mil.

- If Lance isn't the guy to keep and Granger is the guy to keep.......then the Pacers MUST move either Green or Mahinmi in a package with the 2014-2015 1st Round Pick...JUST to have $11 to 11.5 mil in CapSpace to spend on 3 Players ( with Granger taking up the majority of that ).

I keep on getting back to this based off of the #s.....I think that it will be much easy to re-sign Lance than it will be to re-sign Granger....but BOTH Granger and Lance? very difficult IMHO. The only way that Granger AND Lance can be re-signed is if ( A ) Granger can take $9 mil a year or less, ( B ) Lance takes about $6 mil a year, ( C ) PG takes less than the MAX AND ( D ) the FO is able to move Green, Mahinmi and the 2014-2015 1st round pick.

I think Danny getting less then 9 mil and Lance getting less then 6 should be a given. I also think you're right that to have a chance to keep the 3 together PG needs to take less then the 30% max. I'd hope for Granger in the 7-8 mil range and Lance at 4-5. There is no need at all to give Lance more then the MLE because he wouldn't get that on the market, I'd rather wait and match with no fear at all that he'd get an offer above the MLE.
    I'd hope the F.O. is only offering PG the 25% max right now. The only reason you sign a player to an early extension is to save money while PG gets the security of a big contract just in case he loses value this year or gets injured. In the end a million here and a million there cost us a good player. We need to save that 3 mil on Paul's contract and find a way to jetison at least 1 of the bad contracts in Copeland, Ian or Green via trade or the stretch option. Yes I know Green is the only bad player of the group right not but all 3 were bad contracts in that they go past this season without a team option. I think those 2 things have to happen in order to keep our core together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    .................... jetison at least 1 of the bad contracts in Copeland ..............
    Could we at least let the guy play a game or 2 before saying this ??

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Could we at least let the guy play a game or 2 before saying this ??
    I thought I explained that. It has nothing to do with the player. All 4 of these guys should have a team option for next year or shorter contracts. That's what makes the contract bad, not the player.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I thought I explained that. It has nothing to do with the player. All 4 of these guys should have a team option for next year or shorter contracts. That's what makes the contract bad, not the player.
    By your logic, DJA last year was a wonderful deal, since he only had a 1 year contract.

I take a different view of contract value. As long as a player outperforms his contract, he can be easily moved. Things like options etc can make a deal more palatable, but the most important variable is still a player's ability to contribute. I'm not a big fan of the Copeland signing, but I'll see how he does first before making any pronouncements.

Banned

So in one post you talk about been realistic and then you talk about Granger not only been the starter but he is also going to be making 12mil? realistic alright .... Lol.

Sports Logo

I think Danny getting less then 9 mil and Lance getting less then 6 should be a given. I also think you're right that to have a chance to keep the 3 together PG needs to take less then the 30% max. I'd hope for Granger in the 7-8 mil range and Lance at 4-5. There is no need at all to give Lance more then the MLE because he wouldn't get that on the market, I'd rather wait and match with no fear at all that he'd get an offer above the MLE.
    I'd hope the F.O. is only offering PG the 25% max right now. The only reason you sign a player to an early extension is to save money while PG gets the security of a big contract just in case he loses value this year or gets injured. In the end a million here and a million there cost us a good player. We need to save that 3 mil on Paul's contract and find a way to jetison at least 1 of the bad contracts in Copeland, Ian or Green via trade or the stretch option. Yes I know Green is the only bad player of the group right not but all 3 were bad contracts in that they go past this season without a team option. I think those 2 things have to happen in order to keep our core together.
    2 things to remember:

- Lance IS NOT a RFA...he's a 2nd round UFA.

This means we can't match anything and force Lance to stay. We can only hope that he chooses to stay, but it's completely up to him ( which is why I am hoping that Bird is the guy at Lance's door when the clock strikes 12am on the first day of Free Agency ) .

- ANY TEAM under the LT but over the Salary Cap can offer him the Full MLE.

The only way to outbid Teams that can offer him the Full MLE ( which I guarantee some team will make him that Offer ) is to offer more than the Full MLE. Believe me, I don't want to offer him more than the Full MLE....but the Pacers will have to bid above the Full MLE price in order to get into the ballpark of what the Market dictate and what Lance and his Agent will want ( which I suspect is somewhere closer to what Jarrett Jack got at $6 to 7 mil a year ). The going price for a Non-All Star Starting Guard is around $8mil a year ( see what GH and Teague got ). But, I'd hope that Lance falls closer to what Jarrett Jack is....basically a pseudo-Starter / 6th Man Guard ( hence the $6 to 7 mil a year contract ).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    So in one post you talk about been realistic and then you talk about Granger not only been the starter but he is also going to be making 12mil? realistic alright .... Lol.

I agree. Granger is only worth that kind of coin if we make the NBA Finals with him playing a major role. Otherwise, it would be insanity to give him that kind of jack considering that we just made it to Game 7 of the ECF's without him. We have a ton of money invested in Hibbert, Hill, West, and soon PG. The line has to be drawn somewhere. Even the Lakers just dumped Artest because of financial reasons, who was liked by his teammates in LA. We don't need to re-sign an older player in Granger for big money unless his presence puts us into the NBA Finals. We're going to have to make a difficult choice at some point.

Lance has to be kept first and foremost unless he has a major regression that causes concerns about his long term utility, which I don't see happening. Lance and PG are the exact same age and came into the league the same year. They essentially replaced Granger this season. Keep them together for the next decade.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 07-18-2013 at 11:57 AM.

@ScottAgness 29m
    Should @Paul_George24 choose to test the free agent market, Larry Bird said the Pacers will match any offer, as expected.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

For Players that are being pursued by other Teams......like Copeland....did it ever occur to u that one of the incentives that one Team can offer over another is to give him guaranteed $$$ over multiple years as opposed to offering him a 2nd Year Team Option?

A 2nd year Team Option is pointless for a Free Agent like Copeland....why would a highly sought Free Agent accept what essentially is a 1 year contract and the instability associated with that?

Copeland's contract is 2 years guaranteed at the market rate for a 7th to 8th rotational Wing. The closest thing that the Pacers have to a bad contract is closer to what Green got...a 3 year guaranteed deal for $3.5 mil ( bad only in the sense that the Pacers won't be heavily using him ). One could even consider Mahinmi's contract to be bad given the length of the contract.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-18-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

People act as if a team option for the final year is so common that any team not forcing the issue is guilty of a "bad contract". I would bet you that the ONLY players with "team options" are either rookie second rounders or players returning from injuries who are gambling they can prove themselves. What other players have any kind of incentive to accept a team option other than in exchange for higher pay (and by that I mean significantly higher) in the first year(s)? And then to expect that a team will have not one or two but FOUR players with team options in their last year?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Hoping we offer PG the 25% max. He's a max player and he knows it. I think it would really hurt his feelings if they offer him less.
    With that, hopefully he's happy with it and they can talk him the 25% max instead of the 30% max. That would be the ideal scenario.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I agree. Granger is only worth that kind of coin if we make the NBA Finals with him playing a major role. Otherwise, it would be insanity to give him that kind of jack considering that we just made it to Game 7 of the ECF's without him. We have a ton of money invested in Hibbert, Hill, West, and soon PG. The line has to be drawn somewhere. Even the Lakers just dumped Artest because of financial reasons, who was liked by his teammates in LA. We don't need to re-sign an older player in Granger for big money unless his presence puts us into the NBA Finals. We're going to have to make a difficult choice at some point.

Lance has to be kept first and foremost unless he has a major regression that causes concerns about his long term utility, which I don't see happening. Lance and PG are the exact same age and came into the league the same year. They essentially replaced Granger this season. Keep them together for the next decade.
    If Bynum got 6mil guarantee from Cleveland there is no way in hell Danny is making anything close to 10mil a year ever again, my thinking is that IF he ever gets healthy he is going to be getting 2 year contracts for no more than 7mil a year.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    Bird will pick Lance over Granger is he's forced to choose between the two. Larry Bird loves Lance more than anyone on this forum.
    Obviously. I don't think Larry loves any of us PDers.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

West says this team is very tight. With Danny being PG's mentor, makes me wonder if PG would want to take a Hibbert-like contract to keep Lance and Danny around and give the team a discount (albeit slight) ala the Big Three in Miami to make some serious runs at the title the next few years?

Having Grant Hill, PG, Danny, DWest and Roy + CJ Watson, Lance, Solo2.0, Copeland, Plumlee and Ian off the bench.

Wondering if Bird will seek to address the potential need of another banging player to bring off the bench at the 4: DJ White was just released by Brooklyn?