Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: George Hill added to USA mini-camp, Kawhi Leornard to skip.

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default George Hill added to USA mini-camp, Kawhi Leornard to skip.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...artner=ya5nbcs

He'll be there with Paul George. Hopefully this will help Hill, like I believed it has helped Paul George.

Also, wish Hibbert could take advantage of an opportunity like this, friggin' Jamaica.
    Last edited by Richard_Skull; 07-16-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard_Skull For This Useful Post:

Default Re: George Hill added to USA mini-camp, Kawhi Leornard to skip.

Hibbert's development is just fine. My vote is for as little time and grinding on his body as possible in the off season. Big guys like that need to be careful about the mileage they're putting on their bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Also, wish Hibbert could take advantage of an opportunity like this, friggin' Jamaica.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to indyaway For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I'm probably in the minority of people who don't want our players playing for team USA (selfishly). The year-round playing at that level really seems to take its toll on some players.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    I'm probably in the minority of people who don't want our players playing for team USA (selfishly). The year-round playing at that level really seems to take its toll on some players.
    communiss

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My understanding is that this is more-or-less just a short thing, a practice for USA basketball, I don't think Hill will be good enough to do actual competition. Just playing with some of the best talent and getting a look and instruction from another great coaching staff will offer more avenues for improvement.

OTOH, Paul George will probably be on the USA team at some point. We'll see then if its a hindrance or not. IMO, just doing it for a few years wouldn't hurt, but some players make a second career out of it.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The experience they gain from playing with and against the absolute best is worth it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Probably a bigger issue for the guys that play heavy minutes for team USA. I wouldn't worry about our guys facing that issue. Maybe Paul for 2016.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    My understanding is that this is more-or-less just a short thing, a practice for USA basketball, I don't think Hill will be good enough to do actual competition. Just playing with some of the best talent and getting a look and instruction from another great coaching staff will offer more avenues for improvement.

OTOH, Paul George will probably be on the USA team at some point. We'll see then if its a hindrance or not. IMO, just doing it for a few years wouldn't hurt, but some players make a second career out of it.
    Unless he gets hurt, Paul George is a stone cold lock for the 2014 World Championship team.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Probably a bigger issue for the guys that play heavy minutes for team USA. I wouldn't worry about our guys facing that issue. Maybe Paul for 2016.
    George Hill seemed to have nagging shoulder problems all season. I wouldn't mind seeing him take it easy all summer to try and heal up.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    George Hill seemed to have nagging shoulder problems all season. I wouldn't mind seeing him take it easy all summer to try and heal up.
    It's not like he wouldn't be playing in summer leagues anyway.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    It's not like he wouldn't be playing in summer leagues anyway.
    Exactly. Following his twitter I think he already has been playing in some pick-up games at colleges and schools in San Antonio when he's down there. And he usually always plays in the Knox Indy Pro-Am at IUPUI. Those are probably more challenging than the team USA practices.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Here's the full list of Team USA mini-camp participants:

http://www.usab.com/mens/national/roster.html

Note that the next Olympic year is 2016, so chances are good that it's going to be these guys who will be playing for Team USA for the next 2 years (notably the 2014 World Cup in Spain). Anyone wants to try handicapping the guys who will make the team?

The guys who are closest to being locks IMO are Anthony Davis, Paul George, and Kyrie Irving. Hill won't make the cut IMO due to the ridiculous depth at guard. He's up against former Select members like Wall and Holiday, plus the likes of Conley, Lillard, and Lawson.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Paul George is on the 2016 Olympic team as long as he continues to progress upward a bit. I've heard stuff from a lot of the SF/SG spots not wanting to do the Olympic grind again. (mainly I had heard Kobe and LeBron)
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo

speaking of, this is an interview with Jerry Colangelo about the camp and next year's World Cup roster

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/0...tball-program/
    NBA.com: So how does a player make a positive impression on you next week?

Colangelo:
    In our minds, what players do on the floor and off the floor are equally important. How they get along with one another, how they relate to the coaching staff, how attentive they are in our meetings…

I’ll give you an example. Paul George last summer was on the Select Team, getting our Olympic Team ready. We saw a lot in Paul George. This kid was really coming. And of course, that translated into a terrific year in the NBA season. But throughout the season, he was quoted as saying things about what he learned during his time with USA Basketball and how much he wanted to be a part of it. So it works both ways.
    Reading too much into it maybe, but for him to specifically name PG as an example is pretty cool. He probably really is a lock for Team USA next year.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

George Hill pulled out.

LAS VEGAS -- Indiana Pacers point guard George Hill has pulled out of this week's Team USA camp in Las Vegas due to a scheduling conflict.

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo says he doesn't know the exact reason Hill canceled. He says he wants to find out what led to Hill's decision before he makes any determination on the gritty Pacers guard's future chances with the team.

Forward Taj Gibson of the Chicago Bulls also pulled out of the camp due to an ankle injury, Team USA announced.

Team USA is scheduled to kick off a four-day camp on Monday to start preparing for the 2014 World Cup in Madrid. The Americans have already qualified for the tournament, so a group of 28 younger players are coming in for a camp to get acquainted with coach Mike Krzyzewski and the staff.

Hill averaged 14.8 points and a career-high 4.9 assists for the Pacers last season. Gibson averaged 8.0 points and 5.3 rebounds for the Bulls.
    http://espn.go.com/olympics/basketba...-team-usa-camp
    Last edited by Strummer; 07-22-2013 at 04:16 AM. Reason: forgot to include the link

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    He skipped initially because he had something going on in China, I presume it's a Peak thing.

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TinManJoshua View Post
    He skipped initially because he had something going on in China, I presume it's a Peak thing.
    He had a camp.

@George_Hill3: What up Twittas! Everything is fine just couldn't give up on the kids and cancel my kids camp to make it to USA Trials! Wouldn't felt right!

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

George Hill was in China in late June, and has returned to the US.

When he was there for a media briefing, I asked him if he would join the USA Selects along with Paul. He already told me he has scheduled a kid's camp in texas, and he does not want to let the kids down. He has made up his mind to skip back then, but when Kawhi pulled out, the US invited him again, and George Hill today just once again decided to stick with the kids.

http://ChinaPacers.com

29. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to holick For This Useful Post:

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo says he doesn't know the exact reason Hill canceled. He says he wants to find out what led to Hill's decision before he makes any determination on the gritty Pacers guard's future chances with the team.
    If keeping your word to a kid's camp is enough to possibly create a grudge with Colangelo regarding Team USA, then shame on Jerry Colangelo. The fact that George is keeping his word to the kids over working with Team USA speaks even more highly of his character.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    If keeping your word to a kid's camp is enough to possibly create a grudge with Colangelo regarding Team USA, then shame on Jerry Colangelo. The fact that George is keeping his word to the kids over working with Team USA speaks even more highly of his character.
    Yea, Colangelo shouldn't blame him. On the other hand, I don't think GHill really cares. He probably knew he probably wouldn't make it. He was the oldest on the squad by 2 years. His time is probably better spent with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Right, but to be fair to Jerry, he said he didn't know the reason why and that he wanted to find that out before making a determination, so it's not like he was saying he has a grudge and that he knows why Hill backed out. I think there will not be a grudge.

This just helps PG and Hill with improvements in their game by playing the best players in the world and playing with them. This year for the Pacers is going to be exciting
    Smothered Chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Right, but to be fair to Jerry, he said he didn't know the reason why and that he wanted to find that out before making a determination, so it's not like he was saying he has a grudge and that he knows why Hill backed out. I think there will not be a grudge.
    Hence the "possibly".
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The timing seems inconvenient to me. The story came out last night and I think the USA mini-camp starts today. So did Hill pull out at the last minute and not give Jerry enough time to replace him? It's the timing that might reflect poorly on Hill.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just saw the commercial for a live USA Showcase on the 25th in Vegas. Nice dunk by Paul at the end of the commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

38. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post: