Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Danny be Healthy?

Default Will Danny be Healthy?

This video is worth watching, I think.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2013...603f4v-2498244

We really haven't heard much from Granger or the Pacers, so it's nice to see this. I'm more optimistic than ever (and I was already pretty optimistic).

The dude doesn't sound like a guy whose NBA career is over.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Will Danny be Healthy?

It's worth noting that the video was posted on June 4th. That's a day after Pacers-Heat Game 7. So when he says his rehab will be done in a month and a half or two months, that means he's potentially a week or so away from finishing his rehab. That would be sweet.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really hope he can come back strong and get the full potential out of this team. I'm thinking championship or bust next year.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Danny has stayed in Indy this summer to get himself ready. He typically isn't around here after seasons end. So, that is a big positive.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny has stayed in Indy this summer to get himself ready. He typically isn't around here after seasons end. So, that is a big positive.
    That is a bit different. I wonder if he wanted to be closer to the team physicians and trainers or whether it is at the team's request so they can more closely monitor his progress? Either way, it is a big change of habit for him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

He will be as healthy as he has been in years and ready to dominate.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyJones For This Useful Post:

I hope he's healthy and if he is we have a true shot at a title. If he is healthy then our F.O. has made huge mistake in having Green, Ian, and Copeland to long term deals when that money would have been enough to keep Granger on another contract. A heatlhy Granger is worth 10 of these guys. All 3 players should have had shorter contracts or team options after this season, it's not like know one knew Granger, PG and Lance would all be free agents together.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJones View Post
    This...Pretty much missing all of last season will end up having Danny more fresh than he has been in a very, very long time...since his first couple years in the league. He has had successful surgery and is on the mend...I think those talking about Danny at 70-80% are shortchanging him...The hardest part is going to be keeping a leash on his minutes. I would like to see Frank make a concerted effort to keep Dannys and Davids minutes down in the regular season. That should be doable. And the benefits in the upcoming years and playoffs will pay huge dividends. Play Danny 25 minutes a game. Theres absolutely no reason that shouldnt be possible given the presence of Paul, Lance, and Solomon. And if there would happen to be an injury you always have Green lurking if hes still around. But playing Danny somewhere around 25...Lance 25-30...Paul 32-35 and Solomon 10-15...to me would be a nice mix that should come closer to keeping guys fresh and healthy throughout the year and into the playoffs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Always impressed with how intelligent Granger comes off in interviews. Not just athlete smart, but smart smart. Future front office guy I bet.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This video is worth watching, I think.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2013...603f4v-2498244

We really haven't heard much from Granger or the Pacers, so it's nice to see this. I'm more optimistic than ever (and I was already pretty optimistic).

The dude doesn't sound like a guy whose NBA career is over.
    I think that ( at the very least ), he will be heathy enough to be helpful and be a better Wing Option than Young was last year.

But ( as I am sure one of the more vocal critics of Granger will say ).....the proof will be in the pudding
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-14-2013 at 01:30 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Saw this when it first came out. I think he's finished his rehab. There's a recent picture posted elsewhere on here of him shooting jumpers at BLF.

Here's a link
    http://t.co/ZMM5C9GjYd
    Last edited by Will Galen; 07-14-2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: added link

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I'm way more worried about his game shape and rhythms than his health. Trader Joe and I discussed his knee operation and I think we both feel that it sounds like it should have a high degree of success.

But being out of the game for maybe 14 months or so and not playing with the team with their new dynamic at all (improved Paul and Roy) isn't ideal. He's going to be a bit more like a free agent signing than he normally would be, but at the same time it's not a totally foreign world he's coming back to.

Bird's attitude at Summer League made me feel better. He had the view that I've been putting out the whole last year. You want talent and Danny is very talented. They are thrilled to be getting him back and should be. This whole NBA2K style of fan management where you dump a guy at the drop of a hat with even a hint of possible issues isn't a healthy way to run a club. You can't kneejerk left and right all the time. It's not wrong to ride out situations when there are good odds that things will improve, especially when the odds of things being better with some change aren't any higher (ie, trade for Ellis and it doesn't work out).

With Danny you know the personality interactions are already there, you know he's fully bought into the team's identity and chemistry. The dynamic is altered a bit now, but like I said it's not foreign.

I really hope they are able to find a way to keep Danny past this year, maybe with a combo of him commanding less salary (depends on his output) and with some reduction in bench salary. If you have a 10-12m Granger (in terms of fair salary output) with 12m West, 14m Hibbert, 8m Hill and 14m Paul....well that's a freaking dream team. Worrying about all that salary in the starting lineup makes no more sense than Miami worrying about the nearly identical amount of salary just being paid to James, Wade and Bosh.

AND while nothing is certain, I'd like to think that you could make the case to Herb to dip into the lux tax for ONE season if you have a big income championship run and would like to take another run with the same group. They could skirt it with modest penalty and still put a monster starting 5 with decent guys at 6-8. This is where I'd considering trading Lance for a draft pick instead.

But of course every single bit of this speculation is dependent upon what Danny and the team are actually able to do. If Danny doesn't come back well then the first thing is that you won't have to pay him so much on the next deal and can probably still keep him as a bench guy - problem solved. If things just don't fit well together then you can move him at the deadline.

Really this situation is about as sweet a deal as the Pacers have ever been in. They are still flexible going into a year where they might have more talent than their salary figure should allow (thanks to Paul and Lance outplaying their current deals for this year).
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 07-14-2013 at 02:04 AM.

22. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Always impressed with how intelligent Granger comes off in interviews. Not just athlete smart, but smart smart. Future front office guy I bet.
    I like to think it's ENGINEER smart, but I'm biased.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    I'm way more worried about his game shape and rhythms than his health. Trader Joe and I discussed his knee operation and I think we both feel that it sounds like it should have a high degree of success.
    But being out of the game for maybe 14 months or so and not playing with the team with their new dynamic at all (improved Paul and Roy) isn't ideal. He's going to be a bit more like a free agent signing than he normally would be, but at the same time it's not a totally foreign world he's coming back to.
    Bird's attitude at Summer League made me feel better. He had the view that I've been putting out the whole last year. You want talent and Danny is very talented. They are thrilled to be getting him back and should be. This whole NBA2K style of fan management where you dump a guy at the drop of a hat with even a hint of possible issues isn't a healthy way to run a club. You can't kneejerk left and right all the time. It's not wrong to ride out situations when there are good odds that things will improve, especially when the odds of things being better with some change aren't any higher (ie, trade for Ellis and it doesn't work out).
    With Danny you know the personality interactions are already there, you know he's fully bought into the team's identity and chemistry. The dynamic is altered a bit now, but like I said it's not foreign.

I really hope they are able to find a way to keep Danny past this year, maybe with a combo of him commanding less salary (depends on his output) and with some reduction in bench salary. If you have a 10-12m Granger (in terms of fair salary output) with 12m West, 14m Hibbert, 8m Hill and 14m Paul....well that's a freaking dream team. Worrying about all that salary in the starting lineup makes no more sense than Miami worrying about the nearly identical amount of salary just being paid to James, Wade and Bosh.

AND while nothing is certain, I'd like to think that you could make the case to Herb to dip into the lux tax for ONE season if you have a big income championship run and would like to take another run with the same group. They could skirt it with modest penalty and still put a monster starting 5 with decent guys at 6-8. This is where I'd considering trading Lance for a draft pick instead.

But of course every single bit of this speculation is dependent upon what Danny and the team are actually able to do. If Danny doesn't come back well then the first thing is that you won't have to pay him so much on the next deal and can probably still keep him as a bench guy - problem solved. If things just don't fit well together then you can move him at the deadline.

Really this situation is about as sweet a deal as the Pacers have ever been in. They are still flexible going into a year where they might have more talent than their salary figure should allow (thanks to Paul and Lance outplaying their current deals for this year).
    I agree with this. It's impossible to project what Danny's market value will be next summer but I'd think 10-12 mil would be pushing it even if he's 100%, if he's less then 100% I'd guess he'd be looking at 7-8 mil. All it would take is a willingness to go into the LT for 1 year to keep him either way. Once the 10.6 mil salaries of Copeland, Ian, and Green are off the books the following summer we'd still be well under the LT even with PG at the max and Lance stepping up to 4-5 mil. I'd also agree with being willing to trade Lance for a high pick if Danny is 100% and I'm sure that's a minority opinion. Looking forward if Danny were to be healthy for another 3 year contract I don't see Lance ever reaching the level of Granger even in year 3 so I'd prefer the better player. My preference would be to keep everyone and I think we should if Granger is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Saw this when it first came out. I think he's finished his rehab. There's a recent picture posted elsewhere on here of him shooting jumpers at BLF.

Here's a link
    http://t.co/ZMM5C9GjYd
    Well, he could be shooting while still in rehab. He could shoot last year, he just couldn't cut.

Enjoy your time at PD!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I agree with this. It's impossible to project what Danny's market value will be next summer but I'd think 10-12 mil would be pushing it even if he's 100%, if he's less then 100% I'd guess he'd be looking at 7-8 mil. All it would take is a willingness to go into the LT for 1 year to keep him either way. Once the 10.6 mil salaries of Copeland, Ian, and Green are off the books the following summer we'd still be well under the LT even with PG at the max and Lance stepping up to 4-5 mil. I'd also agree with being willing to trade Lance for a high pick if Danny is 100% and I'm sure that's a minority opinion. Looking forward if Danny were to be healthy for another 3 year contract I don't see Lance ever reaching the level of Granger even in year 3 so I'd prefer the better player. My preference would be to keep everyone and I think we should if Granger is healthy.
    I think a lot of people are projecting Danny to get paid a lot more than the market will dictate. If you look at what players like Monta Ellis, OJ Mayo, Paul Milsap are getting this summer, I think thats the more likely range for Granger. $7 million or so would be what I guess a healthy Granger gets next summer.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    I think a lot of people are projecting Danny to get paid a lot more than the market will dictate. If you look at what players like Monta Ellis, OJ Mayo, Paul Milsap are getting this summer, I think thats the more likely range for Granger. $7 million or so would be what I guess a healthy Granger gets next summer.
    All it takes is one team to make a big offer and the market shifts around year to year. Next year Lebron will most likely opt in and I predict some teams will have money to spend on average FAs which doesn't look good for keeping Danny.

Like Seth I want to go into the LT but I also know that Simon would be missing out on huge LT payout if the Nets keep trying to buy a championship. From a profit standpoint it doesn't make sense for Simon to go into the LT but he is old and he may have a itch to push his chips all in one last time. That's my hope anyway as a fan.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:

J7F

Him having scar tissue removed from his tendon reminds me of my Dunleavy having that bone spur removed from I thought one of his tendons. Dunleavey looked like himself after he recovered.

Wait a minute. Is this the Granger thread, or did a Jermaine O'Neal quote slip in here?

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    All it takes is one team to make a big offer and the market shifts around year to year. Next year Lebron will most likely opt in and I predict some teams will have money to spend on average FAs which doesn't look good for keeping Danny.

Like Seth I want to go into the LT but I also know that Simon would be missing out on huge LT payout if the Nets keep trying to buy a championship. From a profit standpoint it doesn't make sense for Simon to go into the LT but he is old and he may have a itch to push his chips all in one last time. That's my hope anyway as a fan.
    You really think LeBron will opt into his contract with Miami? Most don't think this way, but if he does stay i would say it'd be the best route to go so be could still leave when they have a complete down fall.

Anyways I am hoping we can resign Danny and Lance for 12m together. We'd still have to get rid of Green and our pick next year to do that though.
    Last edited by brownjake43; 07-14-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post

I'm not so sure about this. You may have some Team overpaying for talent....but I think that the new CBA has Owners seriously adjusting how they operate and make moves/contract offers. To me, there will be a certain "price range" as to how much certain "catagory" of Players fall ( a good example being what Jeff Teague got...which comparable to what GH got ).

Sure, you may have some of the LeDecision / D12 "Drop everything and pay the guy the MAX" level Players.....but I suspect that Granger will fall slightly between what Milsap got ( a Non-All Star Starter ) and what Monta got ( but IMHO he was overpaid ) on the "high end" ( IMHO he was way overpaid but only because I think Cuban was desperate ).

IMHO...about $7 mil ( on the low end ) to $9 mil a year / 3 year contract sounds about right for a healthy Granger.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-14-2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Wait a minute. Is this the Granger thread, or did a Jermaine O'Neal quote slip in here?
    Haha, that reference was intended. Glad someone caught it.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Are you sure that you are not talking about JO????

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    That's because Ellis and Mayo aren't very good, and NBA GMs are starting to realize it. Despite that, Ellis is still going to get $10m per from Dallas, and Mayo $8m per from the Bucks. Millsap is indeed a steal with his 2 year $19m contract. According to Chad Ford, that's because his agent started off asking for $15m per, scaring off all the teams with cap space, until finally the best deal they could land was from Atlanta. Atlanta signed him as a trade asset btw, they're going to trade him sooner rather than later.

No, if Danny is healthy, he's going to get a contract which is more in line with Iguodala's 4 year $48m from a good team, and maybe more from a bad team (e.g. Sacto). In fact, I'll predict 2 teams who'll be monitoring Danny heavily this year - the Kings and the Cavs. They'll both have plenty of cap space, and both could use a veteran SF like Danny.

Healthy Danny isn't going to get $7m offers. In fact, I'd argue that IF his injury robs him of his athleticism and he's reduced to being a 3pt sniper, IMO he could still get offers in line with what Redick ($28m/4 years) and Korver ($24m/4 years) did. So $7m may in fact be the baseline for a damaged Granger, not a healthy one.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm not so sure about this. You may have some Team overpaying for talent....but I think that the new CBA has Owners seriously adjusting how they operate and make moves/contract offers. To me, there will be a certain "price range" as to how much certain "catagory" of Players fall ( a good example being what Jeff Teague got...which comparable to what GH got ).
    It's weird, really. If you watch the FA period carefully, you'll notice that there's still plenty of overpaying going on, usually in the first few days of free agency. Once the money dries up, then the remaining FAs can then be had for bargains. The new CBA hasn't really changed much, except the money dries up faster now.

So we're really relying on Danny or Danny's agent making a misstep like Millsap's did, to have a chance to sign him for relatively cheap. Now, Danny is a smart guy, which was pointed out in this very thread. Do you want to bet on him making a mistake like that?