Thread: Anyone with a green thumb?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Anyone with a green thumb?

So I am a new home owner and the house I bought has an irrigation system which is fantastic since I do not have to deal with hoses. I can schedule my watering for the early mornings which I heard is the best time to water.

I need to get seed for the grass that will fit some weeds while feeding my lawn. Does anyone have suggestions of what to use or tips on how to keep my lawn green so I am not that one neighbor that has a brown lawn? My neighbor just mows his lawn a lot to fight his weeds and it has creeped into my yard.

Default Re: Anyone with a green thumb?

Pennington seed is by far the best. Or at least my favorite. Others have a lot of filler in them, which can lead to more weeds. Pennington is like 99% (?) grass seed.

Fertilize 3-4 times a year, keep it watered fairly regularly. I prefer to use the spray weed killers. I just think they work better than the weed & feed combo granules. And spray a foot or 2 into your neighbor's yard. If he doesn't get the hint, at least his weeds won't creep much into your side.

Enjoy. If you keep it under control, it's not too time or effort consuming. But once it gets away from you, it can take a few years to get it under control.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thanks for the advice Pacerdude.

I wish I just had the money to pay a gardener to take care of that stuff. haha.

Eh, it's not that bad. And it's an opportunity to get away from things for a while to go 'play in the yard'. My yard isn't golf course quality, but it's the nicest one in the general area.

Just keep an eye on the upcoming weather before fertilizing. And here comes some experience speaking: Don't fertilize if it's going to be hot with no rain. Your yard will get really burnt up. Quickly. And it's a beyotch to get it back.