Thread: 2013 Ashes (Australia in England)

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 2013 Ashes (Australia in England)

I figure there might be a couple of people interested, especially since Indy is trying to build a cricket facility for use in national tournaments (yeah, yeah, like the USACA will ever be anything approaching functional...)

First test (Trent Bridge), first day, England ends their first innings at 215 all out, with plenty of time for Australia to get plenty of runs under their belts before end of play today.

A slow slog for England but at least they managed to get over 200. All told, though, I think they are in a bit of trouble at this point.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Default Re: 2013 Ashes (Australia in England)

Great comeback for England so far, holding Australia to 75 for 4 wickets in the last session today. Almost tempted to get up at 0-dark-30 tomorrow to see the opening of play in hopes a couple of quick wickets fall.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

HOLY COW what an innings for Australia. 119-9 and it looked like England were going to pound them into the rock-hard Nottingham ground, then Ashton Agar makes his Test debut at number 11 scoring not just more than any other 11 debut in history but nearly getting a century first time out. I doubt we see him at 11 any more this test, much less this series.

Australia leads by 65 runs (which is actually not what anyone would have expected after England collapsed for 215), looking like a fantastic rest of the day and next few days. This will almost certainly be a decision and not a draw at the end of the weekend, with only a few showers expected on Saturday.
    BillS

Stumps Day 2, England 80 for 2 putting them a whopping 15 runs up going into day 3. Not too bad, really, but it means tomorrow could be a long slow day as England try to stay in and rack up runs at a conservative rate. I suspect Australia will be perfectly happy to let them as long as it stays conservative.
    BillS

Was in Chicago Friday and busy painting a fence on Saturday & Sunday, so no updates - England defeated Australia by 14 runs in a final spell on Sunday that almost made it pleasant to be painting while listening to the match. I was absolutely certain England would blow their lead with bowling that simply wasn't up to par, but a controversial catch (England used their video appeal to have the "not out" reviewed and the video umpire determined the ball HAD actually hit the bat before being caught and therefore Haddin was out). Not the best ending for Australia but still a pretty exciting finish.
    BillS

Day 1 second Test, at Lords with all the pomp and ceremony thereto appertaining.

England looked to be in big trouble early losing 3 wickets to sit at 28-3, but a couple of long partnerships (including a century from Ian Bell) seemed to save the day. Then in the last hour or so Australia took 3 wickets and finished the day with England at 289-7. The last Test that would have been an improvement, but this time the pitch was almost perfect for batting so one could say Australia did a good job holding the score down.

If the end of the order can stick around for another 50 runs I think it will be adequate, though Australia could very well hit near 400 before they are done, putting things at risk. Well, that and this speed is much more likely to lead to a draw if any weather moves in.
    BillS

Wow. Oz bowled out for only 128. What a collapse, and some great bowling from England.
    BillS

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm looking at the lineup for the second test on baggygreen and the only players I recognise are Shane Watson, Michael Clarke and Brad Haddin... makes me yearn for the great teams of the 90s and early 2000s.

Hayden
    Langer
    Ponting
    Waugh
    Waugh
    Lehmann/Bevan/Blewett/Clarke etc
    Gilchrist
    Warne
    Lee
    Gillespie/Kasprowicz/McGill etc
    McGrath

Also, might be the pitch? England's currently 3-30 in their second.

Oddly, I think the pitch was supposed to be OK for batting, at least through today or tomorrow until it gets completely banged up. Seamers are doing pretty well at this stage, though, so there's definitely some rough out there (I loved the ball, from Swann I think, that pitched close to 90 degrees off to leg side when I think it was meant to go just a leeeeeeetle tighter....).

But England's opening batsmen are hitting just about as "well" as they did yesterday, so I guess there's something to be said for consistency. 30 for 3 might end up making Oz think 128 wasn't that bad an innings after all.
    BillS

Last over of the extended day and Swann gets Pattinson lbw to finally get that last partnership out and avoid coming in for just a few balls in the morning. England win by 347, wow.

Can't wait for the Third Test; I have a soft spot for Old Trafford (I got to see the few overs played on day 3 and the full afternoon Day 5 in 2005 - the Day 5 was after scoring a member pavilion ticket from a fellow who had to leave at lunch).
    BillS