Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bumped: Josh Smith agrees to $56 million deal with Pistons

Default Re: Josh Smith agrees to $56 million deal with Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Joe Dumars was on bath salts this off-season. That's the only way someone could think Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings were the right pieces to add to a team that desperately needed outside shooting.
    And by "this offseason" you mean "every time he has capspace," right?

Remember what happened last time?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

.76 PPP, 305th in the league. He scores on 36.5% of his possessions, turns it over 15.3% of the time. His shooting percentage from the outside is horrendous. He can get offensive boards but it's not enough to make up for his turnovers and poor shooting. He's got a negative offensive win shares. The best way to defend Josh Smith is to not guard him and to try to see if he shoots.
    Where's that list? I can't find it.

All I want to know is "Does he have a higher PPP than Ian?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I haven't been this excited about a Detroit signing since Charlie V was a free agent.
    I agree with my five-month-younger self.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

I wonder if Detroit is willing to move Drummons or Monroe for a 3 or and stretch 4, Love for Monroe makes sense, Melo for JS makes sense too but neither team is going to do it.

Detroit needs to get a guy that can shoot from outside and replace either one of their 3 non outside shooter starters(Monroe,Drummons,JS).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I wonder if Detroit is willing to move Drummons or Monroe for a 3 or and stretch 4, Love for Monroe makes sense, Melo for JS makes sense too but neither team is going to do it.

Detroit needs to get a guy that can shoot from outside and replace either one of their 3 non outside shooter starters(Monroe,Drummons,JS).
    Monroe doesn't get enough shots. I think Detroit should have stuck with Monroe/Drummond but I think Monroe is definitely the one that will be moved.
    @qandrews9428

...Jennings (.361 T-82nd / 140), KCP (.290 131st / 140)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bumped: Josh Smith agrees to $56 million deal with Pistons

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    He is a really nice player, but he just seems unmotivated.
    Unmotivated is way to nice of a word to describe JSmith.

All I know is, whenever the Pacers play him, it makes me smile watching him catch the ball on the wing.
    Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right. ― Ricky Gervais.

What if someone from a school of business or management school were to ask, How did you do this? How did you get the Pacers turned around? Is there a general approach you've taken that can be summarized?

Larry Bird: Yeah, patience.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

I saw one of their fans thinking that we'd take Josh Smith back in exchange for Danny.

Come on man your trades are so lopsided. No one is going to trade drummond and no one is going to trade love.

Come on man your trades are so lopsided. No one is going to trade drummond and no one is going to trade love.
    Trading Love isn't so far fetched. He's good as gone when his contract is up in 2015. Might as well get substantial value for him while they still can.
    @qandrews9428

13. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Trading Love isn't so far fetched. He's good as gone when his contract is up in 2015. Might as well get substantial value for him while they still can.
    And that will work for Detroit how? Do you think they also want a Kevin Love rental?

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I'm not endorsing Josh to keep shooting 3's, but 1 of 4 per game isn't that bad when you have Monroe and Drummond in the paint. Detroit has bigger issues then Josh right now. I don't want anything to do with them in the playoffs if Cheeks can get that team working the right way. Just don't know how good of a coach he is to this point.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

And that will work for Detroit how? Do you think they also want a Kevin Love rental?
    You said Kevin Love was untradeable, I disagreed. I wasn't necessarily referring to Detroit. I have no idea where Detroit could send Monroe, but they need an upper echelon wing or SG.
    @qandrews9428

Quote Originally Posted by Karlton View Post
    I saw one of their fans thinking that we'd take Josh Smith back in exchange for Danny.

I mean it's kind of an issue that they are already regretting the contract 20 games into a 4 year deal. If the Pacers salary situation worked out, it would be a net positive talent wise, but Josh Smith doesn't fit the Pacers' persona.
    @qandrews9428

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Monroe's defense is a far bigger issue than Smith's offense at this point. It's just easier to point at the shooting percentages and blame him.

I still really like Josh Smith. I'm happy he's on this team, and the effort thing is way overblown.

I think Monroe's lack of development is the elephant in the room that needs to be addressed. Still no confidence in his mid range game in year 4. He's basically forcing Joe to move him for perimeter help. If he can't shoot outside of the paint and can't defend, he's not going to get a max offer from anybody.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-13-2013 at 03:56 AM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Joe Dumars was on bath salts this off-season. That's the only way someone could think Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings were the right pieces to add to a team that desperately needed outside shooting.
    he's been like that for a long time. remember charlie v and gordon? how someone thinks smith-jennings is a good idea is beyond me.

Jennings is averaging 18 and 8... Yeah, he's horrible

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

I don't really get the gloating. Detroit is only three games under five hundred with a bunch of new players and a new coach. They've got some movable pieces. Worst case they're gonna make the playoffs as a seven or eight seed and get some postseason experience for Drummond and Monroe. A lot of teams would like to be in their position.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I don't really get the gloating. Detroit is only three games under five hundred with a bunch of new players and a new coach. They've got some movable pieces. Worst case they're gonna make the playoffs as a seven or eight seed and get some postseason experience for Drummond and Monroe. A lot of teams would like to be in their position.
    This.

Would this thread have been bumped last week? Probably not. So we're going to pick and choose which low points we want to cast judgements at during an 82-game season....

I'd add that we were 7-16 at the same point last season. This is a team damaged by years of losing. Turning things around does not happen overnight.

At no point this year have I claimed we were a good team. But I do believe they will finish the season that way.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-13-2013 at 05:14 AM.

By the way, 7 games into December, Jennings is averaging 21 and 7 and shooting 45% from the floor and 41% from the arc as he's gotten more comfortable in the offense. His FG% on the season has actually risen above George Hill's. But that doesn't fit the narrative we're trying to push here, so...
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-13-2013 at 06:52 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

For the record, on December 13th, 2012, the Pacers were 11-11 and the Knicks were 17-5.

Let's say the Pistons turn Monroe and pieces into a wing who can shoot and they really hit their stride. I could see them beating up the Heat inside and getting to the ECF. Not saying it's probable but who expected the Pacers in December of last year to almost make the finals?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Detroit is probably right where they should be with a 10-13 record. Josh Smith is a career 46% FG shooter. I have a hard time believing that he'll maintain a 39% average all season. It will inevitably improve.

Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings aren't going to lead them to the ECF's, but they are far better signings than Ben Gordon/Charlie V.

Detroit has a realistic chance at finishing around .500. So far they have had a reasonably successful season by the realistic standards that should have been placed on them before the season.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've said it before but after seeing him in some games this season, I'm pleasantly surprised by how willing Jennings is to share the ball. Many of them were really good assists as well. In total contrast to what we were used to see with him up to last season with the Bucks.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

Mo Cheeks is a very good PG coach. He hasn't proven himself as a head coach, but Jennings has gotten a little better every week under him.

His TOs have gone up, but that's expected when you aren't shooting as much and trying to run a team (especially one that can't shoot).
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-13-2013 at 08:10 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kstat, how many thousands of FTs should Drummond practice in the off season?

I was watching the game against the Heat in Miami where you won and I felt kinda sad about him missing those. Now that's really weird cause I take pleasure when I see Dwight missing them or even Shaq in the past (despite being one of my favourite players ever). Maybe it was because I saw how hard he was working on both ends and how good he was. I honestly hope he gets way better at them but I won't hold my breath.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth