Thread: You think NBA refs are bad... (Warning)

Default You think NBA refs are bad... (Warning)

This is straight-up crazy.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sport...-beheaded-fans

After soccer referee Otavio Jordao da Silva stabbed a footballer to death in the middle of heated match in Maranhao, Brazil, last weekend, spectators stormed the pitch, chopped off da Silva’s head and placed it on a spike in the middle of the field, according to reports in Brazil.
    This is apparently legit... search the name to get multiple versions of the story, including AP. Apparently they didn't just chop off his head, they quartered him as well.

How does this happen?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: You think NBA refs are bad... (Warning)

WTF?????????????????????????????????????

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Yeah, thats taking sports too seriously on multiple levels.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad-Mad-Mario For This Useful Post:

So who else is excited for the Indy Eleven season to start?!

Seriously though, this story makes me sick to my stomach.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Deadspin has video of the autopsy but there's no way I'd watch it. Apparently it was the player's friends and family who killed the ref.

I watched the autopsy video... beheaded and quartered appears to be an accurate description.

Not really sure what to say....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

May not be reality since I've never been there but it just seems that many Latin America countries are getting scary. Couldn't pay me to live there. Mexico anyone?

Ok so apparently this wasn't all about the game... the guys had an external beef and the game is where everything boiled over. Still, that's crazy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Was there no security present? How does this happen?

WTF. Stuff like this makes me never want to go to a big soccer game. The atmosphere looks awesome on TV, but you hear so many stories of rabid fans rioting/attacking/killing every year I would rather stick to watching from my couch.

This is Brazil. This is why people are protesting. The people of Brazil pay tax rates on par with many European countries, yet they receive the services of a third world country.

I've been twice. I've seen a woman beat nearly to death for her iPhone just a few feet from Copacabana. I've seen a couple mugged literally two steps outside of one of the nicest restaurants in Sao Paulo. Brazil is a country with many problems and leaders who refuse to address them.

For the World Cup and Olympics, billions upon billions have been spent while parts of Rio and Sao Paulo are as dangerous as anywhere on this planet. Access to education is limited to the very few wealthy people who can afford private schools. Sure, there are public schools, but quality teachers are afraid to teach in many areas of the country.

For the Confederations Cup, no extra money was spent on police. Instead, they decided to just move a significant amount of police officers from their normal areas to the areas around the stadiums and hotels (of course, the clashes occurred during the final that sent tear gas into the upper decks of the stadium). In order to make Brazil look like a modern, thriving country, the leaders have decided to ignore those in need. They are spending insane amounts of money to make tourists and investors think that Brazil is about to take off and is a great investment opportunity. While billions are spent to make rich white Europeans and Americans happy, the people of Brazil are being ignored. The police are where the visitors are, and they abandoned many parts of the country.

I know this is getting very political and it isn't the proper board for this, but there is not enough information getting out to the rest of the world. These protests are not about bus fares as the BBC and American media claim. The bus fare increases were the straw that broke the camel's back. The people have been paying heavy taxes and getting nothing in return. It doesn't matter where you fall on the political spectrum, everyone should be against this. I am not taking my trip to Brazil next summer. My friends in Brazil have convinced me that I cannot support this corruption. Brazil has a vast amount of natural resources and should be a modern, developing nation. However, the money is only going to those connected to the government leaders. They had a right-wing corrupt leader, so they replaced him with a left-wing leader who turned out to be just as corrupt.

Brazil is not safe. That is why this happened. It is not safe because the leaders do not care about the people. They only care about the money of foreign investors. The police are stretched very thin and recognize that they cannot control many parts of the country. Watch "City of God," that is an accurate depiction of what is happening in many parts of the country.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Big Smooth For This Useful Post:

We don't have a sport in th US that our fans take even remotely as seriously as other country's fans take soccer. But this is as extreme as I've ever heard of.

Mood

Sports Logo

I'd do it. If we were losing Game 7 to Miami, and Joey Crawford made an awful call. I'd do it all day.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Mood

Sports Logo

Keep in mind that, in addition to this ref getting beheaded and quartered, the referee had previously stabbed a player to death in the middle of a match... That's wack.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by lolwuttermelons View Post
    WTF. Stuff like this makes me never want to go to a big soccer game. The atmosphere looks awesome on TV, but you hear so many stories of rabid fans rioting/attacking/killing every year I would rather stick to watching from my couch.

I'll stick to not watching period. Soccer=boring.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I'll stick to not watching period. Soccer=boring.
    It's like hockey; you watch hoping to see a fight. Or, in this case, a double homicide, I guess.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It's like hockey; you watch hoping to see a fight. Or, in this case, a double homicide, I guess.

Anywhere where the people are even capable of doing serial killer type stuff in public is just wrong on so many levels.

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    I'd do it. If we were losing Game 7 to Miami, and Joey Crawford made an awful call. I'd do it all day.
    Not funny.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not funny.
    Come on people, lighten up. He clearly was not being serious.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Come on people, lighten up. He clearly was not being serious.

I knew that but it still wasn't funny to joke about that given the circumstances.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    We don't have a sport in th US that our fans take even remotely as seriously as other country's fans take soccer. But this is as extreme as I've ever heard of.
    It definitely is not at the behedding level, but we have psychotic fans in this country that will commit violence in the name of their favorite piece of laundry. A San Francisco Giants fan was severely beaten by two Dodgers fans all because he roots for a different team. The last time I went to a Colts game fellow Colts fans wanted to beat my friend up because he dared to root for the opposing team.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    It definitely is not at the behedding level, but we have psychotic fans in this country that will commit violence in the name of their favorite piece of laundry. A San Francisco Giants fan was severely beaten by two Dodgers fans all because he roots for a different team. The last time I went to a Colts game fellow Colts fans wanted to beat my friend up because he dared to root for the opposing team.
    We really haven't come all that far from the days of gladiators.

I knew that but it still wasn't funny to joke about that given the circumstances.
    Then don't laugh?
    Last edited by Eddie Gill; 07-08-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Smooth View Post
    This is Brazil. This is why people are protesting. The people of Brazil pay tax rates on par with many European countries, yet they receive the services of a third world country.

I've been twice. I've seen a woman beat nearly to death for her iPhone just a few feet from Copacabana. I've seen a couple mugged literally two steps outside of one of the nicest restaurants in Sao Paulo. Brazil is a country with many problems and leaders who refuse to address them.

For the World Cup and Olympics, billions upon billions have been spent while parts of Rio and Sao Paulo are as dangerous as anywhere on this planet. Access to education is limited to the very few wealthy people who can afford private schools. Sure, there are public schools, but quality teachers are afraid to teach in many areas of the country.

For the Confederations Cup, no extra money was spent on police. Instead, they decided to just move a significant amount of police officers from their normal areas to the areas around the stadiums and hotels (of course, the clashes occurred during the final that sent tear gas into the upper decks of the stadium). In order to make Brazil look like a modern, thriving country, the leaders have decided to ignore those in need. They are spending insane amounts of money to make tourists and investors think that Brazil is about to take off and is a great investment opportunity. While billions are spent to make rich white Europeans and Americans happy, the people of Brazil are being ignored. The police are where the visitors are, and they abandoned many parts of the country.

I know this is getting very political and it isn't the proper board for this, but there is not enough information getting out to the rest of the world. These protests are not about bus fares as the BBC and American media claim. The bus fare increases were the straw that broke the camel's back. The people have been paying heavy taxes and getting nothing in return. It doesn't matter where you fall on the political spectrum, everyone should be against this. I am not taking my trip to Brazil next summer. My friends in Brazil have convinced me that I cannot support this corruption. Brazil has a vast amount of natural resources and should be a modern, developing nation. However, the money is only going to those connected to the government leaders. They had a right-wing corrupt leader, so they replaced him with a left-wing leader who turned out to be just as corrupt.

Brazil is not safe. That is why this happened. It is not safe because the leaders do not care about the people. They only care about the money of foreign investors. The police are stretched very thin and recognize that they cannot control many parts of the country. Watch "City of God," that is an accurate depiction of what is happening in many parts of the country.
    Sadly this is all true. A friend of mine from high school is from Brazil and goes back every year to visit family. I was very against Brazil getting the Olympics because of this. Its just not a safe place at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Gill View Post
    Then don't laugh?

Nobody with human decency would considering we are talking about beheading somebody and putting their head on a stake. Do you find that something to joke about? I'm laid back but that's ridiculous.