Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CBS: Pacers offering Granger in trades. Oh, and Green obviously.

Default Re: CBS: Pacers offering Granger in trades. Oh, and Green obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny has said publicly that he still wants to start. Well, that's too bad because both Paul George and Lance Stephenson have taken his spot. Move on. Cut bait.
    If Danny comes back to the Danny of old(which is very doubtful) he is better than Lance. I'll give you Lance is young but he's also a big question mark as to whether he will put it all together and become consistent.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Question: Play out Danny's last year & "Go For It", or move him & begin life 1 year earlier without him/ being 1 year ahead come next year?
    What We Need/Want: Need his salary for Paul's extension & Lance, so no "long term deals" can come back/ Want a good young player at beginning/ middle of rookie deal to build with + dump Green.
    Problem: Don't see that deal out there (after taking a quick look). Anyone have any options?

Solve the above before we get going too far on this.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I really hope you are right. Shame on Bird if you aren't. Danny gave the Pacers too much to send him off when the team is finally good.
    I'm really glad you are not the GM you cannot think with your heart. We have to do what is best for the Pacers. I am not saying that is trading Danny(he can't have much value right now no point in trading him. If he stays healthy and has value, but not meshing with the team than at the deadline you have to trade him). If he meshes we could keep him and try to win it all and then do a J.J Redick S&T and get some assets when he walks. )

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

In his interviews this season, granger has explicitly stated he's happy to accept a lesser role due to our improving young guys and you could see he was chomping at the bit to go out there and play with them. If nothing else, let's not stir the pot with some made up Granger malcontent talk.

8. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo

trade Granger at all costs. This team has moved on without him. I would happily take a second rounder for him. Cannot take the chance of having a cancer in the locker room
    lol...oh boy....wow...all one can say is wow...

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really hope you are right. Shame on Bird if you aren't. Danny gave the Pacers too much to send him off when the team is finally good.
    Business is business and you do what is best for the franchise. If Peyton Manning can get booted out of Indy after an injury, then Danny Granger certainly can. Sometimes you have to take the emotion out of difficult decisions. No player is ever more important than the franchise.

That being said, I don't think that we could get a deal right now that would be good for business. With Granger's injury uncertainty, it's very likely that any trading partner would insist that we take on a bad contract in return. If that's the case, then we might as well let Granger's contract expire.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Die hard Pacers fan!!!!! SIR-LANCE-ALOT's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

granger has 0 trade value right now, u think a GM would gamble with trading a good player for a player in granger who nobody has seen play in a year plus? i wouldnt be that GM and nobody on this board would either, unless u have a long term bad contract u want to get off yr hands for a one year injured granger, ie Jordan from the clippers

I find it hard to believe that Bird would really try to move Granger after his comments regarding Granger with his return to the Pacers. Keeping Granger if he's healthy is our best chance at a title. Then let the market play out to see if we can afford to keep him. It's a low risk move and we aren't getting much for him now anyway. At the very least you don't trade him now.

Quote Originally Posted by SIR-LANCE-ALOT View Post
    granger has 0 trade value right now, u think a GM would gamble with trading a good player for a player in granger who nobody has seen play in a year plus? i wouldnt be that GM and nobody on this board would either, unless u have a long term bad contract u want to get off yr hands for a one year injured granger, ie Jordan from the clippers

I don't think he has zero value, but there's no doubt it's low. His expiring contract means that he definitely has some value, even if he doesn't play a single game next year. A team that wants to tank next year and who doesn't care about his health might be interested in taking him considering that his contract will be up in a year. Any team would still probably try to force some crappy contracts on us though.

I'm sure the Hawks will take him. I think Indy is looking for a deal where we get back a young player on a small deal. Then we'll sign Cope and Landry and call it an off season. Maybe Granger and Green to Dallas for OJ Mayo? sign and trade?. Then sign Cope and Landry?

Mood

trade Granger at all costs. This team has moved on without him. I would happily take a second rounder for him. Cannot take the chance of having a cancer in the locker room
    I usually try hard to avoid being insulting. It's just sports, after all.

But this one...this one, I can't resist. This is one of the dumbest things I've seen written on this board, and I've seen a LOT.

I hope that was a joke, because there isn't one shred of evidence that suggests Granger is, was, or could be a locker room "cancer." But there IS material that suggests pretty much the opposite.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Business is business and you do what is best for the franchise. If Peyton Manning can get booted out of Indy after an injury, then Danny Granger certainly can. Sometimes you have to take the emotion out of difficult decisions. No player is ever more important than the franchise.

That being said, I don't think that we could get a deal right now that would be good for business. With Granger's injury uncertainty, it's very likely that any trading partner would insist that we take on a bad contract in return. If that's the case, then we might as well let Granger's contract expire.
    Right, and when it's time for Paul George to enter free agency, and he remembers how the Pacers treated Granger, their previous best player..let's all get mad because he goes to the Clippers or the Lakers. You know, business being business.

People are people. And last time I checked, loyalty meant something in business and to people.

Danny hasn't been shown to be a negative to this franchise. He's worth more to the Pacers than any other team. And he deserves to be here.

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I don't believe that Granger is being offered in trades. Bird was about as clear as one could be on that front.

I think this is pure media speculation.

It'd be absolutely idiotic to sell low on Granger. Bird implied as much.

There is little to no chance that he can stay with the team past this contract, but at least let him show that he can play, because execs have to way undervalue a person who had patellar tendonosis that didn't play last year.

The dream is that he truly earns the last year of his contract, and gives a demo of his capabilities to the 29 other teams. Maybe even win a championship with him starting. That'd be sweet.

I hope we spend our last dry powder on a backup PF, preferably Landry.

I dont' know how these rumors stick so easily that a national writer would address it. Its like no body ever heard of the freaking salary cap? You can't trade Danny Granger because you need all of this $15 million to pay Paul George next season. End of discussion.

the only possible deal is another expiring contract. So why would either team do that? They won't, it doesn't make sense. The roster they have this year will most likely be the set Roster for the next 2-4 seasons minus Granger. This is Granger's last season as a Pacer, there is just no way he resigns for peanuts, especially with West getting 12mil. Unless Lance just completely fails this coming season or completely explodes as a player and becomes amazing...Then we wouldn't be able to keep Lance would be force to try and work a deal with Granger for an extremely low amount.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Sookie, PG really won't have control over his destination for another 5 or 6 seasons (barring singing his qualifying offer), but loyalty does matter to Paul. There is some value in loyalty that I think generally gets overlooked here.

I'm on a MAC!, there's also teams that can absorb Granger's salary. Those are teams like Milwaukee, Atlanta, Utah, Dallas, etc. They can give us combinations of young talent/draft picks that will not put us in financial jeopardy next season.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I see no reason at all to trade Danny NOW, unless somebody just gives us something we can't refuse, not likely.

If he's healthy and plays well, makes us a better team than last season, Great! we keep him go for the championship, worry about contracts after the season.

If he's injured, not the same player or not even close, then we either trade him as an expiring contract at mid season or let his contract run out at seasons end and have plenty of money for Paul and others.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

It's such a refreshing experience to hear of another Danny Granger trade rumor.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    I don't believe that Granger is being offered in trades. Bird was about as clear as one could be on that front.

I think this is pure media speculation.

It'd be absolutely idiotic to sell low on Granger. Bird implied as much.

There is little to no chance that he can stay with the team past this contract, but at least let him show that he can play, because execs have to way undervalue a person who had patellar tendonosis that didn't play last year.

The dream is that he truly earns the last year of his contract, and gives a demo of his capabilities to the 29 other teams. Maybe even win a championship with him starting. That'd be sweet.

I hope we spend our last dry powder on a backup PF, preferably Landry.
    If the Pacers keep Granger, I hope he returns to form too, but I don't think he will. I'm worried his injury is chronic and he's not going to come back as close to the same guy, at least not with the ability to sustain it. At the very least, it's an awfully big risk to go in to a Title or Bust season like the upcoming one "hoping" the guy taking up $14M of your cap will contribute at the level of his contract.

I used to be a big Granger fan- he was my guy- but not so much anymore. Something about him seems more Dunleavy than Hibbert in terms of investment in the team and the city. Could be wrong but that's my perception.

I think they are trying to move him. I put no stock in Bird's comments at his presser but don't consider him a liar. Just doesn't seem like there's much for him to gain by openly saying they want to trade him at this point.

Any player can be moved, so I think it's just a matter of finding the right fit. One trade idea that a lot of people will probably crucify would be Granger for Ben Gordon now that Gordon's on an expiring. He'd give the Pacers offense off the bench. Apparently he was a douche to his coach last year, but I'd gamble he'd be on his best behavior on a winning veteran roster in a contract year. Don't know if Gordon has any injury issues, but if not, he might be a good option for what the bench needs.

Why trade Danny? It makes no sense. We need cap space next summer, not this year. If Danny is 70% than he is better than anyone we could get for him.

Right, and when it's time for Paul George to enter free agency, and he remembers how the Pacers treated Granger, their previous best player..let's all get mad because he goes to the Clippers or the Lakers. You know, business being business.

People are people. And last time I checked, loyalty meant something in business and to people.

Danny hasn't been shown to be a negative to this franchise. He's worth more to the Pacers than any other team. And he deserves to be here.
    And how would the Pacers have mistreated Granger? By paying $52 million to play a freaking game, including $13 million for 5 games last year? By adding $14 more million to that next year? By keeping him in Indy for 8 seasons, which is far longer than most players ever stay with a single franchise?

If Granger was traded today, I don't see how that would be a turn off to PG. The Pacers have treated Granger extremely well. If it's ever in PG's interest to leave, then he'll leave, but odds are that won't be anytime soon since it's in his financial interest to stay with the Pacers.

Granger has been a very good player, but he's not the sort of icon that you must keep at all costs. Not even Paul Pierce or Peyton Manning were at that level, and they met far more to their franchises than Granger ever has to the Pacers.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

And how would the Pacers have mistreated Granger? By paying $52 million to play a freaking game, including $13 million for 5 games last year? By adding $14 more million to that next year? By keeping him in Indy for 8 seasons, which is far longer than most players ever stay with a single franchise?

If Granger was traded today, I don't see how that would be a turn off to PG. The Pacers have treated Granger extremely well. If it's ever in PG's interest to leave, then he'll leave, but odds are that won't be anytime soon since it's in his financial interest to stay with the Pacers.

Granger has been a very good player, but he's not the sort of icon that you must keep at all costs. Not even Paul Pierce or Peyton Manning were at that level, and they met far more to their franchises than Granger ever has to the Pacers.
    Well said.

I doubt we would have batted an eyelash about keeping Peyton Manning if he had been 5 years younger when we had to make the decision. Paul Pierce's situation was also different, as they moved him to another contender after their team showed obvious signs of decline.

However, they would trade him if it's in their best interest, i have no doubt. But I also seriously doubt they would get a favorable deal for him at this time.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I doubt we would have batted an eyelash about keeping Peyton Manning if he had been 5 years younger when we had to make the decision. Paul Pierce's situation was also different, as they moved him to another contender after their team showed obvious signs of decline.

However, they would trade him if it's in their best interest, i have no doubt. But I also seriously doubt they would get a favorable deal for him at this time.

I agree, but just two years ago, the mere suggestion of Manning finishing his career someplace else would have sounded ludicrous. It was basically accepted fact that the Colts would allow the guy to play until age 45 if that's what he wanted. But then things changed in the 2011 season.

I know that each situation has different circumstances, but my point is simply that Granger is not the sort of icon that deserves untouchable status.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Banned

Damn Pacers treating Danny Granger bad by paying him 14mil a year, I hope somebody treats me that bad some day

Thumbs down Re: CBS: Pacers offering Granger in trades. Oh, and Green obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post: