Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nate McMillan named Associate Head Coach. Update post #24 - Pacers hire Popeye Jones

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Nate McMillan named Associate Head Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bingo! And could that be the result of poor coaching?
    Highly, highly unlikely. Poor coaching is not an unusually think for overly talented players to overcome--dare I say, common?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Default Re: Nate McMillan named Associate Head Coach. Update post #24 - Pacers hire Popeye Jones

I appreciate Buck's full disclosure but until I see a 2nd incident I suspect this was a mountain out of a molehill...
    Jones was treated at the scene and was not charged with resisting arrest, according to Wakefield.
    He was taken to the ground hard enough to injure his face but was not charged with resisting. Hmmmm.....

You don't like being bossed around, you don't feel as though you are out of control or warrant intimidating attitudes and the next thing you know it's ground time. I'm not worried about it. Technically he didn't fail a field test or a blood test according to this article.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Nate McMillan named Associate Head Coach. Update post #24 - Pacers hire Popeye Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Popeye and Nate. Two guys that were likeable hard workers on other teams. Nice to have them here.

I went by BILF at lunch, Tweeted that Lance* was on the practice court sitting talking to some coaches (Burke for certain, who was standing and talking) but there were I think 3 other guys I couldn't make out. Guessed one might be Nate but could have been Popeye if he's already in town. I think McKey (the hat) might have been down there talking too.

*Just thought it was nice that Lance saw me standing up above looking in and gave me a little peace sign wave. I was so worried about his attitude and maturity but he's winning me over. I think he's a case of a player that could have gone wrong in a bad situation but instead is going to go really right. I've suggested him being a good trade asset but not because I don't like him, only because of the value he would have on the market. He seems to really be enjoying his role here with the team and the fans. It feels like the positive reinforcement he gets for the hard work and playing the right way is helping to guide him.
    As recently as the start of this past season I was wondering why Lance was still on the team. Now I can't imagine this team without him.

Also there's this....

I thought Ronnie Artest had some crazy eyes...
    Last edited by travmil; 08-06-2013 at 11:12 PM.

*Just thought it was nice that Lance saw me standing up above looking in and gave me a little peace sign wave. I was so worried about his attitude and maturity but he's winning me over. I think he's a case of a player that could have gone wrong in a bad situation but instead is going to go really right. I've suggested him being a good trade asset but not because I don't like him, only because of the value he would have on the market. He seems to really be enjoying his role here with the team and the fans. It feels like the positive reinforcement he gets for the hard work and playing the right way is helping to guide him.
    This is why I really hope Lance stays with the Pacers - for his sake, more than the team's. He's in a very good situation where he's been challenged and encouraged to grow as a player and a person. Furthermore, he's not relied on/allowed to attempt more than he's reasonably capable of on a regular basis. The worst thing for Lance would be to get traded to a bad or poorly coached team and handed the keys. I understand how trading him might be best for the Pacers, I just hope it doesn't happen.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Holy crap I have no idea how I missed this. Not sure why this doesn't have it's own thread?

I know that Popeye has been paying his dues as an assistant for awhile now so he won't be coming here fresh and in need of training.

I remember him quite well as a player because he and Dale used to go toe to toe all of the time. I know one time he grabbed a ridiculous amount of boards in a game and this was with Dale playing against him. Dale usually won the battles but it wasn't because Jones was untalented.

I remember him being physically tough but not overly muscular. Decent overall player but one hell of a rebounder.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    Funny, when we had the likes of JO and David Harrison, I used to harp and harp and harp on our need of a quality big man coach. Now that we have the likes of West and Hibbert, just doesn't mean much to me.
    Another thing to consider is that the Pacers PF/C rotation is made up of Veterans. This Team doesn't have any Big Men to really develop

Regardless....that's fine.....Former Players that are Coaches are good to have on the bench.

I would like to hear what Vogel's comments are regarding why he decided to pick Popeye over anyone else.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    As recently as the start of this past season I was wondering why Lance was still on the team. Now I can't imagine this team without him.

Also there's this....

There's a difference between "crazy eyes" and "deer caught in the headlights eyes".

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Popeye and Nate. Two guys that were likeable hard workers on other teams. Nice to have them here.

I went by BILF at lunch, Tweeted that Lance* was on the practice court sitting talking to some coaches (Burke for certain, who was standing and talking) but there were I think 3 other guys I couldn't make out. Guessed one might be Nate but could have been Popeye if he's already in town. I think McKey (the hat) might have been down there talking too.

You are able to see down on the practice court at BILF during lunch? Are you inside BILF? I'm confused here....help me out here....paint me a picture

Mood

To me, it's a great thing Popeye is a Hockey Dad... I'm sure he won't let our players let up on being Smashmouth!
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

I still remember that 28 rebound game. I was 10 years old and had visions of being Mike Wells at the time, so I took really notes of the game and did a write up. Man, I wish I had that somewhere, would probably be hilarious.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    You are able to see down on the practice court at BILF during lunch? Are you inside BILF? I'm confused here....help me out here....paint me a picture
    Yes, you can see in from the street on two sides. (they do have the ability to close the blinds/curtains or something that can block the view from the street outside the fieldhouse)

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo

If Roy is happy then we're all happy
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    He was taken #4 overall in the draft, pretty sure his son made the right call.
    And it was a shock that he 'dropped' to #4, as he was projected to go 1st or 2nd.

Seth grew up (at least partially) in Denver, where lots of kids play hockey. Also, having seen him play, he's built noting like his father, but a prototypical NHL defenseman.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:

Why does Roy call him "Brook?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Why does Roy call him "Brook?"
    as in Lopez, Popeye was an assistant in Brooklyn under Avery Johnson

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

“It was important for me to go into a situation as a head coach or as an assistant with an organization that had a vision, a plan, and was following that plan,’’ McMillan said. “Indiana had all of that. They’re already doing all of that.
    It is awesome seeing that said about the Pacers.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramitt For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post

Also there's this....

They don't call him Popeye because of his love of spinach.

He was solid power foward with a knack for defense and rebounding. He was a lot like Jeff Foster. He worked with Brooke Lopez as he had his best season to date so I have no doubts that he's qualified for the job.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 08-14-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    as in Lopez, Popeye was an assistant in Brooklyn under Avery Johnson
    That tweet makes a lot more sense now.

Sports Logo

Vogel on Popeye

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/vogel...t-popeye-jones

“Popeye has a great knowledge for the game, particularly the big man game,” Vogel said on Wednesday. “He obviously played the position at a really high level, and overachieved sort of as a player. He has really grown over the last six years, in terms of being a student of the game and really studying coaching and growing his knowledge of Xs and Os and his game preparations. We’re a big man team and he’s got an expertise in that field, so I think he’s going to be a strong addition to our staff.”

“I looked at a lot of names,” Vogel said of the process. “You get an opening on a staff in the NBA, you’re going to get 100 phone calls. There’s a long process involved with it but it’s really one that I’ve enjoyed and spent a lot of my summer meeting with guys and talking with people and learning about people. To see Popeye come out of that is a credit to him. He’s a good man.”

“No question,” he said. “We’ve got a formula in place, a culture in place to understand that chemistry gets re-established every year. We have to re-achieve it every year. You either have changes or you don’t have changes so we’re definitely looking forward to building that coaching staff chemistry and having it spill over into the locker room.”

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

I think we can all agree that the coaches chemistry was excellent the past two seasons, I just hope with the two new additions and two subtractions that it is equally as good this season
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 08-15-2013 at 09:43 AM.

I'd love to see that list of candidates, and see how many are currently employed in the NBA and were just looking to upgrade to a better organization.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!