Default Re: CJ Watson close to deal with Pacers

Larry Bird gets it.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Obviously ur not a golfer 5_7_Clash's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know about defensive minded, but isn't Donald Sloan essentially the Mercedes of the the hungry D leaguers?
    Greatest qualifier ever.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 5_7_Clash For This Useful Post:

Mood

More than the minimum? I hope not too much more.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Okay this is just getting silly coming from you. How many times did the 3rd PG actually play meaningful minutes last year. And you want to bring in Nate Robinson who is going to be looking for major money? Step back to reality UB. The 3rd Point guard on a contending team is irrelevant. Just think back to the playoffs when Hill went down with the Concussion....THey had Lance running back up point. So your 3rd point guard isn't even going to play when it matters.

My Nate Robinson reference was more of a joke than anything. He'll probably get more money than CJ will. But I wouldn't mind having a 3rd string point with some of the skills that Nate has.

One problem with discussions in forums like this, degree cannot really be evaluated. I am just throwing the third point guard stuff out there for fun as I realize it isn't realistic.

never been a Watson fan. always seemed like a chucker to me. granted I haven't watched him a ton. I guess for the money you can't ask for much more. I'm meh on the signing

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    never been a Watson fan. always seemed like a chucker to me. granted I haven't watched him a ton. I guess for the money you can't ask for much more. I'm meh on the signing
    I'm okay if he chucks from 3 point range if 40% go in.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

This is really good news. We needed a bigger back up point to guard Norris Cole. Now we can use the MLE for a back up power forward.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I'm okay if he chucks from 3 point range if 40% go in.

Exactly what I was going to say. Heaven knows the Pacers need shooters.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Okay this is just getting silly coming from you. How many times did the 3rd PG actually play meaningful minutes last year. And you want to bring in Nate Robinson who is going to be looking for major money? Step back to reality UB. The 3rd Point guard on a contending team is irrelevant. Just think back to the playoffs when Hill went down with the Concussion....THey had Lance running back up point. So your 3rd point guard isn't even going to play when it matters.
    To be fair......UB said a "Nate Robinson" type of Player...not THE Nate Robinson.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    I love Lance, but if he's starting at the 2, and Granger is off the bench at the 3....that leaves us short a back up 2 guard. Or does someone here know something I don't? Is Granger starting or what?
    I'm expecting a 3 man rotation of Granger, George, and Stephenson with George sliding between the 2 and 3 since they are pretty much the same position, should work with each getting ~ 32 minutes a game.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DJVendetta For This Useful Post:

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    I'm expecting a 3 man rotation of Granger, George, and Stephenson with George sliding between the 2 and 3 since they are pretty much the same position, should work with each getting ~ 32 minutes a game.
    I can't see us using a 3 man rotation in the regular season, playoffs definitely, but not the regular season IMO

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    You really need to keep a fourth player in a groove though, in case of injury. Think of Lance in 2012. 8 minutes in the first half and then nothing in the second. You will probably have a fourth wing in that position, probably Hill or OJ.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Love this signing. Bird has been here less than a week and has already made the team better
    Here we come lottery?

Mood

I believe this is Bird's first day officially, in fact.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jukeb0xHero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    Thank god!! a tall backup PG!! heres a highlight from last year of what we are hopefully about to get

Silky smooth shot! I like it!!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DJVendetta View Post

2 years is perfect for us, gives us early bird rights to resign him without using the MLE money if we choose. I just really hope that Copeland talk is not true. The guy is a horrid defender he cannot guard any SFs in the league. If we need a small ball PF we just drafted one who actually crashes the boards and defends a bit(I don't like Solo guarding many PFs but then again I don't like small ball).

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

CJ Watson is a bit under 6'2 (6'1.75 according to DX) but he does have a 6'6 wingspan. Wingspan plays an important role in our defensive system of shading the opponent that slashes to the hoop and I'm glad that the FO acquires players that fit this system.

About CJ Watson's history now. He went to the University of Tennessee and played there for 4 years. He had a good college career (nothing spectacular but all around solid) and after 4 years he declared for the 2006 NBA Draft. No one picked him so he went to Europe. He went in Italy and played for Reggio Emilia. He averaged 8.5 PPG and 2.3 RPG in 17 games and was unspectacular. He moved to Greece and played for PAOK and averaged 7.4 PPG and 2.2 APG in 5 games. His shooting wasn't good while in Europe so he returned to the US. He played for the Spurs' SL team in 2007 (he had also played with them in 2006) and he joined the Bobcats training camp. He didn't make either roster and thus he decided to join the D-League.

Here's the part about CJ Watson of an article writen by DX (Givony and Schmidt) about the 2007 D-League draft:

November 1, 2007
    A year removed from college, C.J. Watson is coming off a difficult rookie season in Europe, where he bounced around between Italy and Greece and never really found his rhythm, which isnít a huge surprise considering that heís a bit of an acquired taste. He did have a terrific summer league showing with San Antonio, particularly in the Rocky Mountain Revue. Watson is a 6-2 combo guard, leaning more towards the point guard position. Heís just an average athlete, but is exceptionally smart and crafty, possessing a beautiful perimeter stroke and a high basketball IQ. He gets in the passing lanes well, and is getting better and better at creating his own shot and setting up teammates. Expect him to be one of the first players off the board tonight, as heís a perfect example of what the D-League is all about, and might even warrant a call-up at some point this season.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2Xp3LZ7PL
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/CJ-Watson-569/

The writers proved to be right. CJ was picked at #5 by the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (Houston's team that does an excellent job of developing NBA talent) and had a great season. He averaged 26.3 PPG while shooting 52.3% from the field, 40% from 3 and 89.2% from the FT line. He also averaged 5.8 APG, 5.4 RPG and 1.8 SPG.

This D-League campaign earned him an NBA spot. The Warriors signed him in January 8, 2008 to a 10-day contract. He impressed Don Nelson and signed a second 10-day contract and after its expiration he was signed for the remainder of the season. He had a 40 point game against the Kings in 2010.

Here's another article by DX on CJ Watson. This article is from a SL game back in 2008:

This may not be Watsonís best performance of the Summer League, but it accentuated his talents. He did a great job moving the ball up the floor on the break and making things happen. He has nice quickness and great speed, allowing him to beat his man to the where he earned numerous trips to the foul line. Watson shows a tremendous motor, always in attack mode. His assist numbers werenít great, but he set the tempo and sparked quite a few easy baskets. His shooting touch looked solid, and considering the amount of time he spent with the ball in his hands, he didnít turn the ball over all that much. Defensively, Watson was an absolute nuisance. He has incredibly quick hands and took advantage of some shoddy ball handling by Dallasís starters. Watson stood out more than he did last year, and seems like heís capable of sticking in the League if that is telling of his development over the past year.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz2Xp71IzGo
    http://www.draftexpress.com
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/CJ-Watson-569/

He was signed and traded to the Bulls in the 2010 off-season and we know about the rest.

Two interesting facts from his Wikipedia page:

C. J. Watson majored in psychology at Tennessee, and continued working toward his degree every summer after starting his professional basketball career. He completed his coursework in 2012. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._J._Watson)

He is also an active tweeter.

All in all, he seems like a fight that has fought for his NBA spot. 4 year guy, went undrafted, went in Europe and didn't pan out, went to the D-League and finally landed an NBA spot. He seems to fit our defensive identity of being freaking long and has shot well everywhere that he has gone in the US (he shot bad in Europe but it was only a 22 game sample).

So, I'm glad about this verbal agreement. I hope that it goes through and becomes official in June 10th
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

28. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    2 years is perfect for us, gives us early bird rights to resign him without using the MLE money if we choose. I just really hope that Copeland talk is not true. The guy is a horrid defender he cannot guard any SFs in the league. If we need a small ball PF we just drafted one who actually crashes the boards and defends a bit(I don't like Solo guarding many PFs but then again I don't like small ball).

Truly reminds of the Gerald Green signing. The guy has bounced around the world, finally gets his shot in NY and, in a contract year***, plays really well. He'll now get a contract in the NBA long term and who knows what he'll do. Probably suck and become lazy just like Gerald Green.

Pass
    Pass
    PASS
    Here we come lottery?

Yes, he plays bigger than his size, just like George Hill does.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Truly reminds of the Gerald Green signing. The guy has bounced around the world, finally gets his shot in NY and, in a contract year***, plays really well. He'll now get a contract in the NBA long term and who knows what he'll do. Probably suck and become lazy just like Gerald Green.

Pass
    Pass
    PASS
    Green is a lazy knucklehead and got more money and years than Watson though.

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post

Pass
    Pass
    PASS
    Jeremy Lin had a good 20 game stretch of 1 season in his contract year and went on to basically average the exact same statistics over the next season. Just because we had a bad experience with one player doesn't mean it will happen to all players with similar situations. Copleland's upside is his shooting; he has proven he can shoot the ball everywhere he has ever been. Signing him is no different than signing Kyle Korver to be a shooter off the bench.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Jukeb0xHero View Post
    Green is a lazy knucklehead and got more money and years than Watson though.
    I think ILP was referring to Copeland.

Watson's PER 36 numbers are pretty good for a backup PG. Shoots the three well. Doesn't turn it over at all(1.6 PER 36) and when he played with Chicago for two years where he actually had talent around him his Assists PER 36 were in the low 6's. Augustin's last year was 5.0. Not to mention the difference in defensive capabilities. Watson's a clear upgrade in almost every facet from Augustin and came cheap. Not sure we can complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I saw this a while ago and nodded, thinking, "We're making an effort to get smarter players. Goooood!"
    "I'd run through a brick wall for that man."
    - Roy Hibbert on playing for Coach Frank Vogel