Thread: Off to Phily for the week.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Off to Phily for the week.

The wife and I are off to Philadelphia for vacation this week. We know it will be raining, but it beats 110 degrees in Texas. If anyone has any suggestions for food and sites please share. We are staying in Old Town, across the street for independence hall and all that, so anything beyond there would be helpful.

By the way, I'm flying into JFK wearing my Pacers hat with pride.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My fiancée had an internship there a few summers ago and there are A LOT of good places to visit and eat at. Besides a Philly Cheese steak on South Street my favorite meal we had was a burger and duck fat fries with gourmet cheddar dip at a restaurant called Whisky Village. It wasn't cheap but I still claim it was one of the best burger and fries I've ever had. Hope that helps... Have fun!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to funnyguy1105 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Off to Phily for the week.

Hey Ken, let me know how the trip goes if you don't mind. I have never spent significant time in Philly but I'll be up there next weekend.

Sorry to chime in so late, hope you check in here while you're still there. I'm in food heaven in Philly.
    Hands down, best foodie place in town is Reading Terminal Market. Get the Food Network's Best Sandwich in America -- Roast Pork with sharp provolone and broccoli raab -- at Tommy DiNic's.
    In second place IMO is the Mama Mia hoagie at Campo's around 2nd and Market, close to Independence Hall. Also you can get around real well on the trolley for 2 bucks a trip.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

Ken, let us know how it is. I am so angered with my second consecutive lame 4th of July that I am planning a trip to Philly next year at this time. I'm a history buff and I've never been there so I kinda wanna check it out and, of course, eat a bunch of awesome food.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The trip was great. Knucklehead we found the market and proceeded to go there 3 days in a row. We got cheese steaks form DiNic's but not the roast pork. We also had pretzel dogs from another spot and on the last trip baked goods and donuts from the Penn. Dutch place in the corner. They were not open on our previous trips. Best donuts I have ever had. We also ate at Nicks Pub and Grill on 3rd st. The open faced roast beef sandwiches were delicious. We also ate at a small Italian place on the street the Mint and Christ Church Cemetery are on that runs parallel to market street. Can't remember the name though.

idioteque and cdash, We stayed at the Hotel Monaco on the corner of 5th and Chestnut, across the street from the Liberty Bell. It was perfect since visiting that part of the city was our goal. We walked to all of the sites in that area and, as Knucklhead pointed out, took the bus other places. It is a boutique hotel and we stayed because of the location and a good past experience with the Kimpton hotel in D.C. It was nice, but did not have in room things we like such as a fridge and microwave. We would have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn if we could have. In any case all of the sites are there together Just make sure you reserve your tickets for Independence Hall in advance. I would also encourage you to visit City Hall, for it is a really neat piece of architecture. We did not go up to the viewing level, but the details in the lower levels were truly amazing.

We did not visit any of the museums by the art museum where the 4th of July concert took place. We just did not have time. We also did not visit the river side attractions at Penns Landing. The one plade we did visit, and my wife wanted to go there more than anywhere else, was the Mutter Museum. It is a medical museum full of crazy, sometimes gross, stuff. I would encourage you to go and have fun seeing the stuff that interests you the most.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SycamoreKen For This Useful Post:

You could spend a week on the museum mall. Get tix online. After I had been through the Barnes, I realized on one wall that contained about a dozen Renoirs and a few Cezannes, that I had possibly looked at a quarter billion buckazoids in art ON ONE WALL. The Rodin is next door. Went to Mutter a few years ago. Big banner over the entrance -- Disturbingly Informational. I describe it as, a place that has more than the maximum number of fetal siamese twins preserved in jars that you should see in your lifetime.

City Tavern around 2nd and Walnut, another nice dining adventure. We stayed once across the street at a B&B, the Thomas Bond House. Rode the subway down to Geno's last time for a cheesesteak. Campo's 2nd and Market, the trolley goes right by there on the way to Penn's Landing.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.