Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2014 NBA Draft Prospects thread

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013-2014 NBA Draft Prospects thread

Here is to hoping Smart will fall to us on draft day because of all this nonsense. I have spent an unfortunate amount of time in Lubbock, TX: Trust me, the guy likely dropped the N bomb. During Black History Month, nonetheless, I feel like Smart's actions are partially justified. The only negative to this is that Marcus has just made himself a target for audiences in all future games, college and pro. Every drunk frat-boy in the Big 12 is going to be trying to rile him up now. I hope he learns to use it as motivation going forward, and not cause himself more trouble going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratking View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is to hoping Smart will fall to us on draft day because of all this nonsense. I have spent an unfortunate amount of time in Lubbock, TX: Trust me, the guy likely dropped the N bomb. During Black History Month, nonetheless, I feel like Smart's actions are partially justified. The only negative to this is that Marcus has just made himself a target for audiences in all future games, college and pro. Every drunk frat-boy in the Big 12 is going to be trying to rile him up now. I hope he learns to use it as motivation going forward, and not cause himself more trouble going forward.
    QFT.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    QFT.
    I am doubting he falls to the late 2nd round....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to joew8302 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    I am doubting he falls to the late 2nd round....
    yeah, me too. But he did say hoping.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

WHAT A GAME!!! TYLER ENNIS!! How can you not love college basketball. That was a hell of a game. CJ Fair huge down the stretch.

Mood

LaVine has been awful lately. He needs to come back for another year IMO. Good time of year for college hoops. It sucks about the weather. UNC vs Duke would have been fun tonight. I guess New Mexico vs Boise will do.

EDIT: What a game clutch shot Kendall Williams!! Derrick Marks answers hard to guard.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-12-2014 at 11:19 PM.

Mood

What does everyone think of Ennis's pro potential?Reading about people who would take him over Smart. I just don't see it. He is a good game manager, but doesn't really make a ton of plays. I like his hand's but don't think he will be a good defender. I think you would have to be nuts to take Ennis over Smart. Not sure if I would draft Ennis his game needs a lot of work for the pros and not a high upside IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    What does everyone think of Ennis's pro potential?Reading about people who would take him over Smart. I just don't see it. He is a good game manager, but doesn't really make a ton of plays. I like his hand's but don't think he will be a good defender. I think you would have to be nuts to take Ennis over Smart. Not sure if I would draft Ennis his game needs a lot of work for the pros and not a high upside IMO.
    As someone who has watched every Syracuse game this season, I can confidently say that just because Ennis is not always the primary play maker on the team does not mean he's lacking that ability. He plays the game within the team and is plenty capable of dropping 20+ on a given night if necessary. I've never seen a freshman point guard manage the game with the confidence and poise Ennis brings. He also possesses incredible situational knowledge, which your rarely ever see in freshman point guards these days.

It's nothing short of incredible that he has yet to turn the ball over in the final 5 minutes of a game this season, especially considering Syracuse has played quite a few nail biters that required him to make big shots down the stretch. You would have to watch Syracuse play consistently to truly appreciate what he brings to the table. I completely disagree with the notion that he needs a lot of work to be successful at the professional level. His basketball IQ right now is as good as any 4 year senior and he's shown me that he has everything it takes to be a successful point guard at the next level. His play this season is leagues above what Carter-Williams brought to the table last year for Syracuse and he's doing pretty well at the NBA level (although Ennis clearly lacks the size advantage of MCW). If the Pacers ever wanted to transition to playing with a true point guard, this kid would be a phenomenal fit due to his ability to recognize what he needs to do on a nightly basis to give the team the best chance to win. He never forces a shot, doesn't turn the ball over, and remains calm at all times. We'll see how things play out with him in the future.
    Last edited by BenR1990; 02-13-2014 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Grammar

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BenR1990 For This Useful Post:

Smart has better potential in my mind, but Ennis has terrific upside. He could be a very solid point guard in the NBA, but he should stay one more year at SYR cause he could be a top 3 pick next year
    Smothered Chicken!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BenR1990 View Post
    As someone who has watched every Syracuse game this season, I can confidently say that just because Ennis is not always the primary play maker on the team does not mean he's lacking that ability. He plays the game within the team and is plenty capable of dropping 20+ on a given night if necessary. I've never seen a freshman point guard manage the game with the confidence and poise Ennis brings. He also possesses incredible situational knowledge, which your rarely ever see in freshman point guards these days.

It's nothing short of incredible that he has yet to turn the ball over in the final 5 minutes of a game this season, especially considering Syracuse has played quite a few nail biters that required him to make big shots down the stretch. You would have to watch Syracuse play consistently to truly appreciate what he brings to the table. I completely disagree with the notion that he needs a lot of work to be successful at the professional level. His basketball IQ right now is as good as any 4 year senior and he's shown me that he has everything it takes to be a successful point guard at the next level. His play this season is leagues above what Carter-Williams brought to the table last year for Syracuse and he's doing pretty well at the NBA level (although Ennis clearly lacks the size advantage of MCW). If the Pacers ever wanted to transition to playing with a true point guard, this kid would be a phenomenal fit due to his ability to recognize what he needs to do on a nightly basis to give the team the best chance to win. He never forces a shot, doesn't turn the ball over, and remains calm at all times. We'll see how things play out with him in the future.
    I have watched plenty of Cuse this season. Not every game. I didn't watch them play the **** teams early in the year, but I have watched over 10 games( damn near every conference game and a few non conference games I have on DVD). I agree he will be a pretty good pro. But people are talking elite prospect like the poster below saying he should go top 3 next year. I just don't see that. I just question his mobility and quickness. Although he does have some quick hands. He looks to me more like a Jose Calderon with a little better defense(His defense to me is a question mark that 2-3 zone makes it very hard to scout Cuse defenders).

Not super explosive off the bounce, but smart. He plays really east and west that is the reason he doesn't turn the ball over that much IMO. He will have to play a little more North and South in the NBA. He has the very rare skill of being a good post feeder so that is a plus. I couple it to a playmaking QB in football compared to a game managing QB. I think Ennis is a very good game manager if that makes sense. That is a pretty good player, but I just don't see the high upside that others are saying he has. Sometimes it is better to take a safe player any way.

The reason I think he needs to stay is two fold. He needs to work on his body IMO. Not sure his frame will take a lot of weight, but he needs to be able to finish much better at the rim. He has some TJ Ford in him in terms of finishing in the paint right now, and the 2nd is to be more involved in the offense once they graduate Fair. He is probably ok to come, but if I was advising him I would probably tell him to stay two years.

I still like Grant as the best pro prospect on that team. He has a long way to go, but his raw tools are off the chart. I really like what Aminu does for the Pelicans, long defender who is an elite rebounder. I see Grant in the same mold.

That game last night was insane. It is sad that Pittsburgh and their fans are casting blame on their coach. I would have called the timeout as well, and I thought they played well Cuse just hit a lucky shot.

About turning the ball over in the last 5 minutes. Lets be honest he is being ask to make plays. They really rely on Fair and spot up shooting in the end of games. It is still an incredible job by him, but credit the coach for putting him in a postion to be successful. They do a good job of not asking him to do to much.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-13-2014 at 12:24 PM.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like him better than Gary Harris. I think he could be elite one day in college. As an NBA player I think he could be a more consistent Devin Harris, with better playmaking skills.

Last night I caught a little of the Kentucky game. And the announcer said that Randle is a three in the NBA. A friend said a SG. I look at him as a PF who can cause a lot of mismatches. He could be what Royce White should have been, but could be an Anthony Bennet if they pair him up with two other post players.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I like him better than Gary Harris. I think he could be elite one day in college. As an NBA player I think he could be a more consistent Devin Harris, with better playmaking skills.

Last night I caught a little of the Kentucky game. And the announcer said that Randle is a three in the NBA. A friend said a SG. I look at him as a PF who can cause a lot of mismatches. He could be what Royce White should have been, but could be an Anthony Bennet if they pair him up with two other post players.
    He is an idiot and what is your friend thinking? No way he can guard 2s or most 3s. Randle is a proto PF 6'9 260. UK is using him wrong IMO. He needs to play a lot more in the short corner. He is a great face up player. But Cal wants him running that dribble drive **** and he tends to drift. I really like Randle I think he plays much harder than Bennett, and way more skilled off the bounce and passing wise. He is a much better rebounder I think he has 20 and 10 potential in the NBA.

Good call He does play a lot like Devin Harris. Devin was an elite college player, and I am sure Ennis would get there if he stays in college.

Better than Gary?? I don't think so especially in terms of NBA prospect, but that is the beauty in basketball everybody sees different things.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    I just watched a Dante Exum video, and he does seem like a nice kid. Mature for his age. However I don't understand why an Australian player would not want to attend college before the NBA. The skill level has to be significantly higher in the NCAA than Australia, and Dante could definitely benefit from playing one year in college. I can't imagine anybody going from Australia directly to the NBA and dominating without facing better competition. I also thought it was unsettling that his own father wanted no part of having his son play NCAA. Call me old fashioned lol, but I see value in playing NCAA
    Call me old fashioned, but I see value in getting NBA paychecks.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is an idiot and what is your friend thinking? No way he can guard 2s or most 3s. Randle is a proto PF 6'9 260. UK is using him wrong IMO. He needs to play a lot more in the short corner. He is a great face up player. But Cal wants him running that dribble drive **** and he tends to drift. I really like Randle I think he plays much harder than Bennett, and way more skilled off the bounce and passing wise. He is a much better rebounder I think he has 20 and 10 potential in the NBA.

Good call He does play a lot like Devin Harris. Devin was an elite college player, and I am sure Ennis would get there if he stays in college.

Better than Gary?? I don't think so especially in terms of NBA prospect, but that is the beauty in basketball everybody sees different things.

I think that if Ennis gets his strength and a consistent shot, then he could be a better player than Harris. He isn't now. But Harris had more holes and questions last year than Ennis does this year. A year really helped Gary.

Of all the prospects. Who would move to top 3 if they waited a year? Who needs that extra year like Blake did?

I can see Vonleh and Ennis being that type of player. But I know that the big men next year are crazy good.

About turning the ball over in the last 5 minutes. Lets be honest he is being ask to make plays. They really rely on Fair and spot up shooting in the end of games. It is still an incredible job by him, but credit the coach for putting him in a postion to be successful. They do a good job of not asking him to do to much.
    I have to somewhat disagree with that. If you look at the first meeting Syracuse played Pittsburgh, Ennis flat out won Syracuse game with a few incredible drives to the hoop in the final few minutes of regulation. The Duke game he ended up with 8 points, 3 assists in the final 5 minutes and OT. Even before last night, I feel like he has had a bigger impact than Fair making shots and passes late in games this season. The coaching staff is excellent, but that didn't prevent Syracuse from having some bonehead point guard play over the last 5 years or so between Scoop Jardine and Michael Carter-Williams.

I would love to have him stay another year because like you mentioned, there are clearly things he can work on. For what it's worth though, Ennis' finishing ability around the rim (which could always improve) makes him look like a God compared to what Syracuse fans had to deal with in Carter-Williams. If he stays for his sophomore year, I think he'll have the opportunity to put up some flashy numbers on the offensive with Fair graduating. Between Ennis and Grant, I think Grant has clearly the most upside because of the athletic ability. It's just going to be a matter of how well Grant can develop his outside shooting. He's shown improvement from last year, but I think he could also use another year and work on his outside shot.

Mood

I have to somewhat disagree with that. If you look at the first meeting Syracuse played Pittsburgh, Ennis flat out won Syracuse game with a few incredible drives to the hoop in the final few minutes of regulation. The Duke game he ended up with 8 points, 3 assists in the final 5 minutes and OT. Even before last night, I feel like he has had a bigger impact than Fair making shots and passes late in games this season. The coaching staff is excellent, but that didn't prevent Syracuse from having some bonehead point guard play over the last 5 years or so between Scoop Jardine and Michael Carter-Williams.

I would love to have him stay another year because like you mentioned, there are clearly things he can work on. For what it's worth though, Ennis' finishing ability around the rim (which could always improve) makes him look like a God compared to what Syracuse fans had to deal with in Carter-Williams. If he stays for his sophomore year, I think he'll have the opportunity to put up some flashy numbers on the offensive with Fair graduating. Between Ennis and Grant, I think Grant has clearly the most upside because of the athletic ability. It's just going to be a matter of how well Grant can develop his outside shooting. He's shown improvement from last year, but I think he could also use another year and work on his outside shot.
    How can you leave off the great Johnny Flynn I still don't know how he went top 10 one of my least favorite college players of all time.

I agree about Carter-Williams I was one of his biggest detractors last year. He is playing ok in the NBA( a lot better than I though he would early on). He is still showing a lot of tendencies he showed at Cuse. Although his finishing ablity seems better.

Ennis was awful for the majority of that Duke game, but I guess the saying goes it is how you finish not how you start.

Funny you mentioned the first Pitt Cuse game I am watching that as we type lol.

Grant is a lot like Leonard was at San Diego ST they only difference was Leonard carried the load and did everything. But in terms of playing hard and being long as hell(broke shots in college) they remind me of each other. I think he ends up as a Aminu/ Leonard type player. His shot is super ugly, but I think it will become good enough in time to be a special NBA player.

Fair to me is the interesting player. Deshaun Thomas like, terrible quickness, but damn he is just so smooth with the basketball. Will probably get a chance with a team, and knowing what type of worker he is will probably stick in the league.

How can you leave off the great Johnny Flynn I still don't know how he went top 10 one of my least favorite college players of all time.
    I loved Jonny Flynn, he was one of my favorites. Would have loved to see what he could have done in a different situation and without that hip injury. I left him off the list because this would actually be the 5th year since Flynn played at Syracuse. Time sure flies.

Mood

Bachysnki! what a block he has been awesome tonight. Jefferson is a beast defender for Arizona I love his game.

Zona almost hit from half court!!

Really weird game tonight very ugly. Arizona St made a lot of really hard shots. Carson made a stupid play should have been called for a tech. He could have let the clock run out. I am still wondering how you don't call a tech. It was clearly show boating by hanging.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 02-14-2014 at 11:53 PM.

Mood

Bachysnki! what a block he has been awesome tonight. Jefferson is a beast defender for Arizona I love his game.

Zona almost hit from half court!!

Really weird game tonight very ugly. Arizona St made a lot of really hard shots. Carson made a stupid play should have been called for a tech. He could have let the clock run out. I am still wondering how you don't call a tech. It was clearly show boating by hanging.
    The ref claimed the play was ruled dead because of fans storming the court before he hung on the rim apparently.

FWIW I agree with you. Should have been a tech.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by joew8302 View Post
    The ref claimed the play was ruled dead because of fans storming the court before he hung on the rim apparently.

FWIW I agree with you. Should have been a tech.
    Terrible call no excuse for it. Could have been a tech on the Zona St bench as well they were at half court while Carson was still hanging. Miller handled that well. I know I would have lost my mind. Blowing a play dead has nothing to do with him hanging on the rim. Dude did a chin up after a dunk(which counted in the score column it should have been two FTS and the ball at halfcourt.

I don't know why he even attempted that dunk. His coach said he was about making winning plays. That was not a winning basketball game.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Question......any PF prospects that could fall to the 2nd round that could fit what the Pacers are looking for? Hopefully with a decent mid-range game?

If not....anyone think that it would be possible to clone West and have him ready to play by the 2014-2015 season?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

The coaching staff is excellent, but that didn't prevent Syracuse from having some bonehead point guard play over the last 5 years or so between Scoop Jardine and Michael Carter-Williams.
    Not everyone can be Gerry McNamara

LEGEND.

Mood

How do you foul him there Ennis?? Going down to the wire in this Cuse NCST game.

Mood

Really good trap helps that Lee dribbled right into it but well done none the less. Lets see what they draw up

EDIT: Charge on Ennis not sure about that call, but he did extend the elbow a bit.

Mood

WTTF. Did that really just happen??

Craziest ending I swear this team just won't lose. Perfect trap. Grant is a deadly defender so long.