Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2014 NBA Draft Prospects thread

Sports Logo

Default Re: 2013-2014 NBA Draft Prospects thread

P4E.....so whose on your list of Bigs, Wing Players and PGs that may drop to the 2nd round so far?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    P4E.....so whose on your list of Bigs, Wing Players and PGs that may drop to the 2nd round so far?
    Way way to early for anyone to know that. So much season left and who knows who will come out.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Way way to early for anyone to know that. So much season left and who knows who will come out.
    Even so with one of the last picks in the draft it is pretty hard to say... one thing that may be interesting is that there is a chance we grab a foreign guy and stash him overseas... and just sign some vet backup if need be.
    Why so SERIOUS

Sports Logo

I am sure of that....I assume that you have a list of Players that you are keeping an eye on that really catches your attention that you will be keeping track of. As mentioned before....I'm really interested in any 2nd round Big Man prospects that may fit our style and could fall to the 2nd round.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-17-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Going back through tape of this weekend right now. **** Joel Embiid made my prediction of Nex Mexico winning look silly. He man handled the front line of New Mexico. The foot work he displayed on Saturday is better than any big in the NBA(of his size) it was David West esq. He even did a Dream Shake that left me rewinding the game at least five times. So Crazy that guy has only been playing for 3 years.

Also I may have short changed my projection for Marcus Smart last year. I projected he would be a a all star a time or two. The way he has vastly improved in just one year is really good. Add in his intangibles the kid is going to be a great one for a long time at the next level.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-17-2013 at 05:19 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Yeah P4, I was afraid that would happen to the Lobos. We're as good as anyone with Cam, Alex and Kendell, but have no other scorers. Close til the last five minutes then KU jumped into another gear. Cam Bairstow did show he belonged on the court though, think he might turn out to be a prospect and I never expected that before this summer.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by jdw View Post
    Yeah P4, I was afraid that would happen to the Lobos. We're as good as anyone with Cam, Alex and Kendell, but have no other scorers. Close til the last five minutes then KU jumped into another gear. Cam Bairstow did show he belonged on the court though, think he might turn out to be a prospect and I never expected that before this summer.
    Kirk got man handled I didn't expect that at all. Cam vs Ellis was as expected great matchup. I just couldn't believe Kirk played so bad. Embiid took him out of the game. Was in foul trouble all game.

Mood

on that note, any takers for smart being the #1 overall pick in the draft?
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    on that note, any takers for smart being the #1 overall pick in the draft?
    Not me I still like Exum more than Smart. It wouldn't be a bad pick though. Plus Smart is most likely going to be an impact player right away. I could change my mind between now and the draft though. The Magic reported wanted Smart at #2 and him him rated #1 by a wide marginlast year. I believe Ford says if they get the #1 pick they would probably take Smart. That FO loves him.

Here is an article talking about Smart's chances of going #1. http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba-draft/post?id=490

Marcus Smart was an afterthought for the 2014 NBA draft's No. 1 pick. When Oklahoma State's point guard-in-training opted to remain in Stillwater this past offseason, there was a gasp among the college basketball community and also the NBA fraternity.

"Is he crazy?" one NBA general manager texted me moments after hearing the decision.

"He just cost himself a ton of money," another one told me at the time.

Smart would have earned in excess of $2.9 million this season if he had been selected in the top five picks this past June, but he has always bet on himself -- and it usually has worked in his favor.

Smart sat and watched, waited his turn as the freshmen -- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker and Julius Randle -- received all the hype early in the season. The Champions Classic featured all three, and none disappointed. The 2013-14 college hoops campaign would be all about The Frosh.

[+] Enlarge
    AP Photo/Gerry Broome
    Duke's Jabari Parker and other heralded freshmen initially overshadowed the production of Marcus Smart.
    But exactly one week after the trio (along with Arizona's Aaron Gordon) had created a national firestorm and quickly become the face of college basketball, Smart made a statement.

"Don’t forget about me."

The 6-foot-4, 220-pound point guard scored a career-high 39 points against a ranked Memphis team that was supposed to boast the best backcourt in the nation. However, it was how he did it that had everyone in the NBA community talking about whether he had legitimately entered the equation for the No. 1 overall selection.

"Why not?" asked one high-ranking NBA executive. "If someone needs a point guard, why wouldn’t you take him first?"

Smart has been widely regarded as a non-shooter throughout his career. When I watched him in the summer, he'd attack the basket and get whatever he wanted in the lane, almost thriving by finishing through contact. He rarely shot the ball from deep, because he rarely needed to do so.

Last season, though, Smart took plenty of deep jumpers (131 in total) -- and made only 29 percent of his attempts from beyond the arc.

"If he could just shoot," one NBA GM told me prior to Smart's announcement that he would return for his sophomore year. "I just don’t know how good he’ll be in the league because he's not a great athlete, and he can't shoot it.”

However, Smart is a worker -- and he's also cognizant of what people say about him. He took the constructive criticism, worked all summer on his perimeter shot and his floor game and has come back with confidence that he can make shots from deep.

"My shot has definitely gotten better," Smart told me after an October practice in Stillwater. "That’s one of the main reasons I came back, along with working on becoming a better point guard."

And leaving college on a higher note than an early NCAA tournament exit.

Smart is a winner. The NBA guys love his intangibles. Billy Donovan and Shaka Smart -- who have coached him in international competition the past couple of summers -- rave about Smart. Heck, everyone does. He's a rare breed in this day and age, someone who leads with both his words and his actions. He goes hard all the time, whether it's diving on the floor in practice or playing both ends of the court each and every game.

"He's the only guy in this draft that can dominate the game on both ends of the floor," said one NBA scout who was in attendance for Smart's elite performance against Memphis.

Smart made 5 of 10 shots from beyond the arc against Josh Pastner's Tigers. He didn’t just make them, but it was how he took them that was different from in the past. There was no hesitation. The same confidence he displays with the rest of his game was apparent when he pulled up from long distance.

However, NBA types want to see more. Could the performance against Memphis be a fluke? Will he be a subpar shooter for the remainder of the season?

Smart played South Florida on Monday night and made just 1-of-5 shots from long range. He's shooting 36 percent from deep this season, but is just 6-of-21 in the four games besides the win over Memphis.

"If he shoots the ball like that and is making 3s, he becomes a guy that has to be in the equation for the No. 1 pick," Pastner told me.

"He firmly established himself in the equation," an NBA scout added.

Ironically, Smart has an outside shot to go No. 1.

Without a consistent perimeter shot, Smart is likely an average NBA point guard. He's powerful and can finish at and around the rim, but he's not ultra-explosive and doesn't possess terrific speed such as a Russell Westbrook or a healthy Derrick Rose.

The best guess here is that Smart makes a significant improvement in his perimeter shot because of his work ethic. His shot isn't broken. He's not Rajon Rondo from deep. He just needs reps and confidence.

"He’s special," said South Florida assistant Mike Wells, who spent nearly two decades working in the NBA. "Loved his poise and the way he talks to his teammates. I think he’s kind of like Dwyane Wade. He needs to work on his explosiveness off the bounce, get more separation from the defense, and also work on running pick-and-rolls on the sideline. He's strong in the air with the ball like all good pros that can score. He has great strength and his shot looks good.”

"He’s special," Bulls head coach Stan Heath added. "He’s a great leader, is relentless and is a winner."

Right now, Smart isn't just the best player in college basketball. He's also showing NBA folks exactly why he returned to college for another season.

"I wanted to get better," he told me a few months back. "I don’t think I was ready for the NBA last summer."
    I don't really agree that his shot is that better. He is really just taking better shots this year. His outside shot selection was awful last year. It is better just not as drastic as this article makes it out to be. I liked his mechanics last year.

I can't believe I sat through that whole game. That was so ugly Pitt vs Cincy. I really like Justin Jackson I watched him practice a few weeks back and he is crazy intense all the time. He played fantastic tonight. Love that motor.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-17-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Mood

Not me I still like Exum more than Smart. It wouldn't be a bad pick though. Plus Smart is most likely going to be an impact player right away. I could change my mind between now and the draft though. The Magic reported wanted Smart at #2 and him him rated #1 by a wide marginlast year. I believe Ford says if they get the #1 pick they would probably take Smart. That FO loves him.

Here is an article talking about Smart's chances of going #1. http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nba-draft/post?id=490

I don't really agree that his shot is that better. He is really just taking better shots this year. His outside shot selection was awful last year. It is better just not as drastic as this article makes it out to be. I liked his mechanics last year.

I can't believe I sat through that whole game. That was so ugly Pitt vs Cincy. I really like Justin Jackson I watched him practice a few weeks back and he is crazy intense all the time. He played fantastic tonight. Love that motor.
    Yeah, I thought that was the one thing missing for me last year, I think if he can consistently hit open 3's not even contested one e has a good shot at going #1, on the offensive end he kind of reminds me of the middle between Tyreke Evans and Deron Williams, but I love his defense and tenacity as well. It will be interesting to see how the rest of his season goes. I really have not saw much of Exum, but have heard good things about him. But going back to Smart I think seeing how he has developed during one offseason in college is really inspiring, makes me wonder where he can still go, granted he may be limited in some situations due to physical gifts, but he also has certain physical gifts that not all NB PGs have.

I think this years class can be special, atleast those with 1st round potential.
    Why so SERIOUS

Going back through tape of this weekend right now. **** Joel Embiid made my prediction of Nex Mexico winning look silly. He man handled the front line of New Mexico. The foot work he displayed on Saturday is better than any big in the NBA(of his size) it was David West esq. He even did a Dream Shake that left me rewinding the game at least five times. So Crazy that guy has only been playing for 3 years.

Also I may have short changed my projection for Marcus Smart last year. I projected he would be a a all star a time or two. The way he has vastly improved in just one year is really good. Add in his intangibles the kid is going to be a great one for a long time at the next level.
    Embiid is one of my favorite players to watch. I came for Andrew Wiggins, but I stayed for Embiid.

Mood

Crazy hoe much better Kyle Anderson is this year. He is so much better skill wise. His lack of athleticism is still worrisome, but I now believe he is at least a nba player. I didn't see it last year. Levine is just so smooth reminds me a lot of Terrence Ross in college.

Mood

What a 1st half so far fast paced game. So much talebt on both sides. I love Hood for the NBA dont know how high he gets drafted, but he should be a good starter at the next level. Duke has a special combo in Hood and Parker.

Duke needs to attack the zone. They are to good to take all those 3s. Great job by Alford changing to zone.

Mood

TJ Warren was one of my favorite freshmen last year. He now has very little help, but produces I love his game, so smart and savvy. He reminds me so much of Tobias Harris not a great athlete but a good player. I love guys who are super versatile. He can score from anywhere on the floor.

Mood

Crazy hoe much better Kyle Anderson is this year. He is so much better skill wise. His lack of athleticism is still worrisome, but I now believe he is at least a nba player. I didn't see it last year. Levine is just so smooth reminds me a lot of Terrence Ross in college.
    Yeah, I wanted to see that game, the times I saw Kyle Anderson in HS I thought he had NBA potential, his game is slow, but it seems to work for him. How much PT did he get at the point during that game, I really like him there over any other position.
    Why so SERIOUS

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Really? View Post
    Yeah, I wanted to see that game, the times I saw Kyle Anderson in HS I thought he had NBA potential, his game is slow, but it seems to work for him. How much PT did he get at the point during that game, I really like him there over any other position.
    I have watched UCLA at least 5 times this year and he plays like that every game now. I hated him last year really is crazy how much different he looks. He loves going weak hand and now can finish, and shoot. His size at the position is scary. I am so happy he listen to the right people and came back to school.

Side note I watched Okafor and Turner play in the past week. Okafor is my favorite High School C prospect I have ever watched. He is the most skilled C I have ever seen in HS. With that said Turner is a better NBA prospect right now. How he can move and his skill level is pretty crazy. In the game I watched he had 15 blocks. He is one of the quickest leapers I have watched. He is the new breed of C. The only thing is his body needs work. I am not concerned his frame is great and looks like he can put on the weight needed. He isnt the man child that Drummond was in HS, but he moves better than Drummond and is much more skilled.

I went to the Tech game last night. JaQuan Lyle is so lazy I swear so skilled and love his frame, but he scares me. I came away really impressed with 2015 prospect Montaque Gill-Caesar. Love his mechanics on his jumper. He is #24 on yahoo. I didn't know him going into the game, but doing research all the top midwest schools are after him. He would be a top target for me. I love his shot.

Going to watch Tech vs Marion Monday should be a great game. Blackmon Jr. is a man on a mission this year.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Embiid is one of my favorite players to watch. I came for Andrew Wiggins, but I stayed for Embiid.
    Wiggins is becoming underrated. He is the best defender I have watched(prospect wise that is saying a lot I love Gordon's defense at Zona)His skill level is just average, but he does some things that are insanley hard to do.

I was listening to a broadcast of a Kansas game, and the broadcaster said he reminded him of Paul George at Fresno. I agree with that in a big way. Wiggins situation is different he plays with a ton of talent. But in terms of flashing tremendous skill, but only currently playing with average skill I agree. He would be a top 5 defender in the NBA right now I believe I love how he plays defense. (He may not be that high simply due to his size he need to add strength)

He showed me a lot in the past few games(the Colorado game he impressed me). He keeps getting better which is expected, but he is playing with more heart and more intensity on offense lately.

Mood

Umass got screwed today. One of the worst calls I have ever seen in college basketball I would protest the game if I was Umass.

Jordan Clarkson is a pretty interesting prospect at Mizz he is owning the Illini early.

Mood

Marcus Smart is one of the lowest Bball IQ high IQ basketball players I have watched.

He plays so well most of the time, but the shot selection and silly fouls need to become a thing of the past and fast. Commits so many bad fouls.

Mood

Markell Brown has long been one of my favorite wings. I am glad he is undersized he may slip all the way to us in the 2nd rd. I think he will be a really good combo guard in the NBA he scores in so many ways I love his old school game(he is a great athlete as well terrific first step)

also I still don't like Lebryan Nash, but at least he is learning he needs to play like a PF. Slowly understand what he needs to be.

So many great big pgs this year in college ball. Pretty crazy how many talented pgs there are over 6'3.

Mood

I really like Clarkson's game for the NBA. He is terrific going right, and his pick and roll game is fantastic.

TJ Warren has been my man crush ever since he played his first game at NCST. It is crazy how good he is. He is the only returning guy from that team last year, and the team is much better. He was severely underrated coming out of HS kid is a stud. If he ever gets a 3pt shot I don't know how you can guard him he just has all the tools offensively.

Mood

You know the more I watch Randle the more I realize he is exactly what I wanted Bennett to be at UNLV. Bennett was a man child in college, but he was really soft and really lazy(he was at the 3pt line far to often and didn't get back on defense. I kind of gave him a pass due to how bad his team was at UNLV.). Randle has the same skill set the difference is Randle loves contact and loves to bang down low. Randle has that beast mode mentality that he will bully you (I LOVE IT). I really wish Bennett had that same motor.

I am still trying to figure the Harrison twins out. I actually like #2 a bit better. #5 has some terrible body language at times, but I am still in evaluation mode with them, I can't put a finger on them both lazy defenders.

I am in the same boat with Ennis. The kid is a stud college player, I am just trying to figure out how he translates.

I think Kyle Marshall from Butler will be a good off the bench player in the NBA. High FG% and defends and rebounds well.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I think Kyle Marshall from Butler will be a good off the bench player in the NBA. High FG% and defends and rebounds well.
    Look I love Khyle hell of a college player. I just don't see his game translating at all.

Where do you see him playing in the pros? He has to be a 3 with his size, but his skill set won't allow for that. I just don't think he shoots the ball well enough to play in the league. His jumper IMO isn't easily fixed it is ugly.

Look I love Khyle hell of a college player. I just don't see his game translating at all.

Where do you see him playing in the pros? He has to be a 3 with his size, but his skill set won't allow for that. I just don't think he shoots the ball well enough to play in the league. His jumper IMO isn't easily fixed it is ugly.
    His FG % is great. He defends well and is a scrapper. I think he has a place in the NBA off the bench. Seems to have very long arms. He gets it done against everyone he has faced. His outside shooting definitely needs to improve. That can be improved. Many have done it in the past coming into the NBA.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-