Thread: Two teams with head coaching vacancies have reached out to McMillan

Default Two teams with head coaching vacancies have reached out to McMillan

Chris Haynes
    Comcast SportsNet
    http://www.csnnw.com/nba/sources-two...acy-head-coach

MIAMI – Two NBA teams with head coach openings have reached out to the representatives of Indiana Pacers assistant coach Nate McMillan, league sources informed CSNNW.com at AmericanAirlines Arena on Tuesday night.

Contact was made merely on an exploratory basis to gauge his level of interest, said a source who requested anonymity. Being that the Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers are the only two teams currently without a head coach, I think it’s safe to speculate that they inquired about McMillan.

As of now, McMillan, 49, has not been brought in for an interview nor is there one scheduled, sources said. Though, that can change any day.

As a head coach, McMillan has a successful overall record of 478-452 in his two stops that include the Seattle Supersonics and the Portland Tail Blazers. He has made it clear in the past that he would very much like to be a head coach in this league again, but reiterates that it must be the right fit and culture.

Last season was his first year with the Pacers.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Default Re: Two teams with head coaching vacancies have reached out to McMillan

I have no issues with McMillan, but I hope he signs somewhere so we can bring in an offensive minded assistant. If he stays I don't see the Pacers bringing in anyone else.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

I hope he takes one of those offers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think McMillan is a solid coach, but I don't think he gave us anything extra like Shaw had previously done.

you might be correct, I just don't know how we can determine if you are. Was our offense different when Shaw was here vs Nate? (wasn't it better as a whole for the 2014 season vs 2013 season

edit: yes our offense was marginally better in 2014 than it was in 2013

Year 2014 2013
    PPG 96.7 94.7
    FG% .449 .436
    3 pt % .357 .347
    Turnovers 14.5 14.5
    Assists>> 20.1 20.3
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 06-11-2014 at 01:52 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you might be correct, I just don't know how we can determine if you are. Was our offense different when Shaw was here vs Nate? (wasn't it better as a whole for the 2014 season vs 2013 season

edit: yes our offense was marginally better in 2014 than it was in 2013

Year 2014 2013
    PPG 96.7 94.7
    FG% .449 .436
    3 pt % .357 .347
    Turnovers 14.5 14.5
    Assists>> 20.1 20.3
    With 2014 FG% up (possibly from first half of season?), assuming ball and player movement was the same as 2013, assists should have gone up to around 21 instead of down to 20.1. So, actually ball and player movement likely decreased slightly, meaning that the offense on average for the season as measured by this stat set was possibly a little worse overall.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was really excited when we brought in McMillan because I thought he may be able to bring some stability and leadership to the assistant core that Shaw took with him when he left.

Obviously, none of us were IN those practices, but I wasn't terribly impressed with McMillan this year. The players talked about Shaw and his leadership/mentoring all the time. I never heard a single remark about McMillan.

Not to say he isn't a good HC/AC - but I just don't see his imprint on our team in any tangible way. I hope he finds a new HC job. But if he stays here I won't be upset, certainly. Just... Indifferent.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

This is a different team than last year. These guys were nothing last year and they made it to the ECF. That will make you take inventory of the people that helped you get there. This year the expectations were already high. They already believed they could get there, so having people that helped them get there is just expected. Not saying they are ungrateful. Just that they are not as likely to be as vocal about as they were last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no issues with McMillan, but I hope he signs somewhere so we can bring in an offensive minded assistant. If he stays I don't see the Pacers bringing in anyone else.
    This is the one and only reason why I would encourage him to go. It has nothing to do with how the offense performed this year versus last year, or anything (although I could point out that the starting 5's offensive went from a 112 rating to a 108 rating this season, I don't think it has anything to do with McMillan though). It has nothing specifically to do with McMillan himself. It has simply to do with that I think Vogel and the players need help on offense, but I don't think they will bring in a new coach unless they lose a coach. The most likely coach to be lost is McMillan.