Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Andrew Bogut next #1 draft pick?

swoop

Default Re: Andrew Bogut next #1 draft pick?

I hope John Gilchrist is still around for the pacers first round pick. We need a backup pg, and he is very good.

yet another bump, but i thought i'd inform KStat that NBADraft.net has revised Bogut up to #4 after his continued stellar play for the Utes. That hat must be getting worried.

We are in definate hat eating range here, NBADraft.net has once again revised Bogut upto #2

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All true, but if he goes top-3, ill eat my shoe.
    One more bump: NBADraft.net and DraftCity both have Australian Andrew Bogut at #1 in their mock draft.

Hey kstat, how tasty is that shoe looking?

given that I think everyone who picked that bracket had them losing to UTEP in the first round, Bogut's Utah seems to be moving well.

click me

Utah proves not a one-man team in win over Oklahoma

March 19, 2005

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Andrew Bogut makes everyone around him better, and his Utah teammates were at their best Saturday.

The sixth-seeded Utes capitalized on the 7-foot Aussie's skilled passing and Justin Hawkins' 20 points to beat No. 3 seed Oklahoma 67-58 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

"We're excited as can be," said Utah's Marc Jackson.

The Utes (29-5) advanced to the regional semifinals for the first time since 1998, when they lost to Kentucky in the national championship game. They had been knocked out in the early rounds five of the last six years.

"It's the happiest day I've had in coaching," said Utah's Ray Giacoletti, who was hired last April to replace Rick Majerus. "Probably only 20 of us believed, but it was the right 20."

Although the beefy Sooners (25-8) did their best to beat up Bogut in the low post, they couldn't overcome 32 percent shooting. Except for hitting the first basket, they trailed the entire game and came no closer than seven points in the second half.

"Bogut made a lot of good passes," Oklahoma's Johnnie Gilbert said. "I thought a lot of times we would pick it off, but somehow it got through."
    Advertisement

Utah opened the game on a 16-4 run and never looked back despite getting forced into 20 turnovers.

"I don't understand our start," Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson said. "We had a lot of good looks. Too many balls stayed on that rim and didn't go down. I felt like we could hurt Utah with our pressure, but you have to make shots. We just didn't."

Bogut had a career-high seven assists and tied his season low with 10 points, taking just seven shots. He scored 24 points in Utah's 60-54 opening-round win over 11th-seeded UTEP. The sophomore has been mentioned as a potential No. 1 pick in this year's NBA Draft.

"The bottom line with Andrew Bogut is he's a winner and it's about the team," Giacoletti said. "I don't know what the price tag is on that value."

Taj Gray had 19 points and 15 rebounds for the Sooners, who had won eight of their previous nine games. Terrell Everett added 17 points.

"He made a lot of great passes," Gray said about Bogut. "He made us alter our shots going into the paint. He did a lot of little things to help his team out."

Bogut's defense on Kevin Bookout neutralized the 6-foot-8, 260-pounder, who was in early foul trouble and scored just four points.

"For us to not come ready to play really hurt us," Bookout said. "We had some good looks down low, but we just couldn't finish them."

Gilbert, the Sooners' imposing backup forward, had three fouls and nine points.

"It was extremely frustrating," he said. "You keep going down and getting stops, but you're not making buckets at the other end."

The Utes don't have a consistent No. 2 scorer to Bogut, but Hawkins and Jackson proved more than capable. Jackson added 17 points and Bryant Markson 16. Hawkins grabbed 13 rebounds and Bogut 11.

Bogut found Markson cutting through the lane and delivered sharp passes that led to dunks on consecutive possessions in the final 6˝ minutes. Then Bogut scored, giving Utah a 55-42 lead.

"These guys slashed and I hit them for some of the best finishes I've seen in a while," Bogut said.

He showed class in the closing seconds when he caught a long pass and dribbled out the clock instead of dunking. During a timeout, Giacoletti told Bogut the team would continue putting him in position to score.

Bogut's response? "I don't care, we're winning."

Drew Lavender's performance showed how badly Oklahoma struggled offensively. He scored 17 points in a first-round win over Niagara, but was 1-of-6 for just three points Saturday.

Oklahoma took 29 more than shots than the Utes, but made just 21-of-66. Utah hit 59 percent from the floor and 64 percent from the line.

The Sooners rallied to get within four before Utah used a 10-5 run, including six by Hawkins, to end the half ahead 30-21. Oklahoma shot a woeful 8-of-31 from the floor in the half and had no one in double figures. Bookout was limited to seven minutes after picking up his third foul.

Sports Logo

Just because he is predicted to be picked 1st does not mean he will be.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire
    given that I think everyone who picked that bracket had them losing to UTEP in the first round, Bogut's Utah seems to be moving well.
    I don't know what idiots you got your stats from, but I had them in my sweet 16.....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I don't know what idiots you got your stats from, but I had them in my sweet 16.....
    I've got them in the Final Four.

What, I knew better than to pick Syracuse, didn't I?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Kstat: My bad, I must not have checked that thread very carefully.

Ragnar: Ofcourse not, but of the teams most likely to get the top lottery spots (Atlanta, Charlotte, Golden State, NO, and Utah) all have space in their roster for a PF/C. I like my odds of Kstat eating a shoe.

I still have my doubt about him going #1, but its safe to say he's moved up to top-3 status.

ANd if the Jazz get a top-3 pick (which they WILL, trust me) he;s as good as gone.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

I still have my doubt about him going #1, but its safe to say he's moved up to top-3 status.

ANd if the Jazz get a top-3 pick (which they WILL, trust me) he;s as good as gone.
    You bet your *** he'll be gone if the Jazz get a shot at him. He's tall and white. Surround him with some short white guys (europeans still count) and you've got the Mormon Dream Team.

Hey skyfire.

Did you know that Andrew Bogut, like all good Austrailians, support John Howard & George Bush's liberation of Iraq?

I saw him on T.V. the other day speaking at an N.R.A. convention talking about the evils of the Koyoto treaty.

What do you think of him now???

Just kidding.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck
    Hey skyfire.

Did you know that Andrew Bogut, like all good Austrailians, support John Howard & George Bush's liberation of Iraq?

I saw him on T.V. the other day speaking at an N.R.A. convention talking about the evils of the Koyoto treaty.

What do you think of him now???

Just kidding.
    You must have gotten that title back to front, shouldn't it be George Bush and John Howard's liberation of Iraq? :P

I guess that makes me not a 'good Australian'. Its a good thing that having a differing opinion is a positive part of our democracy, even if John Howard still does what it takes to convince enough people that dont care about politics. I wish we had optional voting...I think Australia's voting attendance would be even worse than the US'.

I'm not particularly fussed about Bogut's personal politics, I've never met him. His basketball career has little to do with my personal politics, hence I can happily support him as an Australian and a fan of big men with passing skills.

I am interested though, if anyone knows, which way Reggie votes? A well spoken, intelligent role model in a staunch red state, born on the west coast.

Father's a preacher. He probably votes right.
    Except he's black, which means he votes left.

ARGH! Conflicting stereotypes! Can't... handle... life... without... gross... generalizations!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

That C for Gonzonga is a hoss too. Haven't seen the Aussie play yet myself.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    That C for Gonzonga is a hoss too. Haven't seen the Aussie play yet myself.
    Ronnie Turiaf is a freak of a big man. I like him almost as much as Bougut, maybe more. He certainly is more fearsome in the post.

Cris Paul is another player that may move up ahead of Bogut in the draft.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Andrew Bogut , has impressed me a lot in both NCAA games he has played. In the opening game vs UTEP when give room he carried the Utes scoring 22 in the first half even hitting 2-3 pointers.

In the 2nd round vs Gonzaga , he was double and tripled all day, rather than force shots to get his scoring numbers he constantly hit cutting teammates. Rebounded,set picks and bothered shot.

What I've seen from Bogut ,he is the best passing center ,I've seen since Arvydas Sabonis. Like Sabonis, Bogut has very good hands , a soft touch on his shot, and makes passes at all angles, he also blocks shots with timeing. When he was young Sabonis was considered by most basketball people as the best bigman in the world.

At the pro level Bogut will be a very good player. His lack of speed and so far aggressiveness will be what stops him from being a so called "superstar".

He will be a top 5 pick and could even go #1 overall.

As for Ronnie Turiaf , he will go in late teens to end of the first round. Turiaf is only 6'8 , lacks range on his jumper. He is a tweener at the NBA level. In some ways he is much like Corliss Williamson was at Arkansas. Because of superior strength in college he over powers but in the NBA his lack of height will stop him from ever being a star.

Um, have you SEEN Turiaf?

The dude is a lot closer to 7 feet than he is to 6'8." And with those long arms, he's bigger than THAT.....

There is NOTHING about him that compares to Corliss.

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire
    You must have gotten that title back to front, shouldn't it be George Bush and John Howard's liberation of Iraq? :P

I guess that makes me not a 'good Australian'. Its a good thing that having a differing opinion is a positive part of our democracy, even if John Howard still does what it takes to convince enough people that dont care about politics. I wish we had optional voting...I think Australia's voting attendance would be even worse than the US'.

I'm not particularly fussed about Bogut's personal politics, I've never met him. His basketball career has little to do with my personal politics, hence I can happily support him as an Australian and a fan of big men with passing skills.

I am interested though, if anyone knows, which way Reggie votes? A well spoken, intelligent role model in a staunch red state, born on the west coast.
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was just joking about the entire post. None of what I said was true.

But to Reggie, like all of the Pacers (including the owners) he is a democrat. Rick Carlisle sent money to John Edwards both in the way of a political contribution & then by giving him a job for the season.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I like Bogut. Someone compared him to Vlade and I like that though I think he's a tad better - maybe Yao-level?

In last year's draft he'd have been maybe a 5 or 6 but unless there's some phenom out there I haven't heard of, he could go #1 this year. IMO it's the weakest draft in terms of top quality since the year K-Mart went #1.

Still hoping he drops to where the Knicks can get him but I doubt it.

BTW, I CRIED (well, inside anyway) when I saw the tournament pairings. I was convinced Vermont would win their 1st rd matchup and that didn't change when I saw SU matched with them.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Mood

Kstat - check the Gonzaga site they list the Frenchman at 6-10 , most draft sites list him at 6-8 or 6-9 max.

You'll see come draft day tho. I can't see Turiaf going above 19. As for as a pro I'll stay with my prediction on him , he's an undersized pf (height wise but does weight 245).

We all know college programs add at least an inch to al program heights. He does have long arms and your Pistons may well take him at # 25...

As for have I seen him play- yes I have probably between 10 and 15 times over the last 3 years ( I have a dish and most sports packages).

To me he's Corliss and yes as someone who's watched college basketball since 1960 , I saw Williamson play in college. You'll see wherever he ends up in the NBA he will be a backup. With his being French (never played h.s. ball in America ) I'd not be suprised if he ends up playing in Europe next season.

Come draft day KSTAT , we will see where he goes. I take it you think top 10 , I don't.

Mood

As for my Williamson comparison as a college player Williamson averaged 19 ppg and 7 rpg over his 3 years at Arkansas . Turiaf has averaged about 16 and 6 over his (playing in a weaker conference). Corliss was known as "big nasty " in college because of his agressive style and strength , similar traits to Turiaf. As for Turiaf his range is abot 12' .

Maybe a closer comparison might be Turiaf is a lesser Carlos Boozer (who went in the 2nd round himself). Except Boozer is a better rebounder by far and has better range on his jumper.

I saw Corliss play in College too- he had neither the athletic ability, nor the height that Turiaf has.

I still say to me he looks closer to 6'10". Maybe that's just his insane wingspan, but the guy covers a lot of space.

You say Turiaf is 6'8"- so is Elton Brand. That doesn't always mean you're undersized in the NBA.

Turiaf's wingspan makes him equal to most 6'11" power forwards. He also plays above the rim, something Corliss never did, even at Arkansas.

Mood

OK KSTAT , we will agree to disagree. I've stated i see Turiaf going no higher than 15 or so ,prob 17-30 range.

What range do you see him going??? The Pistons in my opinon will have a chance to take him at 25.

So just tell me how high - you think he goes???

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    OK KSTAT , we will agree to disagree. I've stated i see Turiaf going no higher than 15 or so ,prob 17-30 range.

What range do you see him going??? The Pistons in my opinon will have a chance to take him at 25.

So just tell me how high - you think he goes???
    I think his performance will hurt his status, but normally those things are forgotten come june.

He's a lottery pick. Where he goes depends on the draft order. Could be 5th, could be 11th.

For the record, I thought Boozer was a mid 1st-rounder. I was wrong on that, but he really should have been. Not that I'm unhappy with Prince or anything..