Thread: DG, 1ST(s) and possibly Lance for Rondo

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default DG, 1ST(s) and possibly Lance for Rondo

Obviously, this is based on no intel, just satisfying the voices in my head.

BOS receives:
    Danny's expiring deal
    2013 first
    2015 first
    Lance (if they insist)

IND receives:
    Rondo

Why BOS does it:
    Clear space for 2014
    Draft picks with which to rebuild
    Lance is young cheap talent to pair with DeAndre Jordan (if such a deal were to go)
    Danny for a season on an expiring deal is way less risky than keeping a potentially subpar Rondo for the future.

Why IND does it:
    Hibbs, West, PG, Hill and Rondo would be unstoppable.
    High risk/high reward scenario
    IND can't depend on premier FA choosing to come here, so we roll the dice on Rondo and multiple Finals appearances and hopefully some hardware to go with it.
    Last edited by Drew46229; 06-24-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: BOS doesnt save money with this deal

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: DG, 1ST(s) and possibly Lance for Rondo

I'm sure I'm probably missing something, but on the surface, this seems like a pretty good idea. If Boston is willing to totally blow things up and start from scratch, it would be worth making the phone call.

I love the idea of pursuing Rondo if Boston is really going to blow it up, but remember in any scenario you're probably not going to have him for at least the first 2-3 months of next season. So if you give up Danny and Lance in a deal who starts next to Hill for that period of time?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Here is a deal I like:

Ind trades:
    DG
    OJ
    2013 1st
    2015 1st

Bos trades:
    Rondo
    Courtney Lee

We get to hang onto Lance and Boston gets to dump the Lee deal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love the idea of pursuing Rondo if Boston is really going to blow it up, but remember in any scenario you're probably not going to have him for at least the first 2-3 months of next season. So if you give up Danny and Lance in a deal who starts next to Hill for that period of time?
    Granted it is certainly possible that he does miss 2-3 months, he could be ready by the season. He'll have 9 months since surgery before the season starts. Boston believed, or at least acted, like they thought he'd be ready for training camp.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketb...rondo_und.html

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Holmes, Boston Globe, 2/13/13

All-Star point guard Rajon Rondo underwent successful knee surgery Tuesday that was performed by Dr. James Andrews, Celtics team president of basketball operations Danny Ainge told the Globe Wednesday.

"Dr. Andrews thought the surgery went great, clean, no complications, no other damage," Ainge said.

Rondo was diagnosed with a torn anterior cruciate ligament Jan. 27 after suffering the injury a few days earlier in a double-overtime loss to Atlanta in late January.

Ainge said Andrews used a patellar tendon graft to help reconstruct Rondo's torn ACL, and that Rondo is optimistic about a full and speedy recovery.

Ainge added that Rondo is especially infatuated with Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson, who tore his left ACL in December of 2011, and had Andrews operate Dec. 30 with a patellar tendon graft, then returned to the field less than 10 months later. Peterson finished this past season just nine yards short of the NFL's single-season rushing record.

"And you know Rondo: He's going to want to come back faster than anybody who's ever returned," Ainge said.

The typical recovery time for professional athletes to recover from ACL surgery can be nine months to a year. However, the Celtics have said that they expect Rondo to be back by training camp, which begins in October -- eight months away.

Ainge added that Leandro Barbosa, who was diagnosed with a torn left anterior cruciate ligament Tuesday, also sustained medial collateral ligament damage and will wait about a month before his surgery to strengthen his left knee.
    And yes, if we could absorb Courtney Lee that would solve any issues. I understand he's paid too much, or at least too long, but from a purely basketball stand point, I'd rather have Lee in '13-'14 than Lance Stephenson.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Mood

Since no one's come along to call me an idiot yet, I'm going to consider this a success! LOL

If we have to swallow a poison pill in this trade I'd rather bite the bullet on Lee than Terry's atrocious deal. Lee may just need a change of scenery (especially coming home), whereas JET will continue to suck for the foreseeable future...

Now if we could just find a way to send Green out in this deal. Anyone wanna tackle that?

Here is a deal I like:

Ind trades:
    DG
    OJ
    2013 1st
    2015 1st

Bos trades:
    Rondo
    Courtney Lee

We get to hang onto Lance and Boston gets to dump the Lee deal.
    Lee makes a bit over $5M for the next 3 seasons. Rondo makes $12M this coming season and $13M the following. Still need to re-sign West.

How will the Pacers even sign PG, let alone Lance?
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Lee makes a bit over $5M for the next 3 seasons. Rondo makes $12M this coming season and $13M the following. Still need to re-sign West.

How will the Pacers even sign PG, let alone Lance?
    I believe the Pacers should have enough money still to make all of that happen, but I would need to double check.

Mood

Rondo would fill the $14M already committed to Danny, offer West 8-10 or whatever and resign George to the max with Bird Rights. Can probably keep out of LT with all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew46229 View Post
    Since no one's come along to call me an idiot yet, I'm going to consider this a success! LOL

If we have to swallow a poison pill in this trade I'd rather bite the bullet on Lee than Terry's atrocious deal. Lee may just need a change of scenery (especially coming home), whereas JET will continue to suck for the foreseeable future...

Now if we could just find a way to send Green out in this deal. Anyone wanna tackle that?
    I think he's pretty good anyway. He played well in the 2nd half (after Rondo went down... heh). I'm not really sure that Boston sees him as someone they want to 'get rid off'.

.............. offer West 8-10 ..............
    And listen to him laugh.

Sports Logo

For the life of me, I'll never understand why some people want Rondo to be a Pacer so bad.

Is it because we passed on him in 2006?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Sorry, this trade makes no sense. Rondo is a legit star, he's in his prime and not on a bad contract. Granger is pretty much past his prime and coming back from an injury, and he's also playing on PP's position, so you can't say he's the missing piece for a ring. The two picks will be like what, 20-25ish? No way you can build around that.
    Rondo will only be traded for a top prospect that you could actually build around. They don't get one here so they have no reason to take this deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Mood

I was working from the perspective that BOS will be tanking/trading (firesale) assets this year. It makes perfect sense, in that scenario. Danny is a $14M expiring contract (ie cap relief), 2 1st round picks (granted in the late 20's) can be packaged with BOS picks to move into the lottery or acquire young talent (young talent, the other thing rebuilding teams covet.) Also, the BOS/BKN talks of today just go further to prove my point, that BOS is looking to rebuild.

Nuntius,
    I would love to see Rondo in the blue and gold for purely basketball related reasons.
    1. He's a triple double waiting to happen.
    2. He's a guy who can reliably throw an entry pass into the post, something we've been lacking.
    3. He loves to assist (are we sure this guy's not Canadian?), as the 4th or 5th scoring option on a team loaded with stud post players he could easily rack up 10-12 assists or more a night.
    4. Hill is not a true point guard. He works best as a combo guard and could primarily play the 2 with the starters AND spend some time at the 1 with the backups.

I had no idea we "passed" on him, but I really like his game.

Sports Logo

I was working from the perspective that BOS will be tanking/trading (firesale) assets this year. It makes perfect sense, in that scenario. Danny is a $14M expiring contract (ie cap relief), 2 1st round picks (granted in the late 20's) can be packaged with BOS picks to move into the lottery or acquire young talent (young talent, the other thing rebuilding teams covet.) Also, the BOS/BKN talks of today just go further to prove my point, that BOS is looking to rebuild.
    The Celtics (probably) want cap relief but they have no reason to trade their assets for much lesser assets and then trade these lesser assets for something else. If two future 20ish picks could get you quality young players then the Pacers would have already traded these picks for talent. But these picks don't really have much value, and are nowhere near Rondo's value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Looking at how the chips have fallen, I think a deal like this could be more feasible:
    (I don't think the Pacers would consider trading for Rondo because of money and character but lets put that aside)

Clippers out Butler, Bledsoe, Reggie Bullock, 2017 1st
    in Granger, Lance, Courtney Lee

Celtics out Rondo, Courtney Lee
    in Bledsoe, Reggie Bullock, Butler, Clippers' 2017, Pacers' 2014, Pacers' 2016

Pacers out Granger, Lance, 2014 and 2016 1sts
    in Rondo

Clippers would have to sign and trade someone like Odom to the Celtics (1 year deal) to make it happen. Anyway, I don't think the Pacers would be interested, but I think this is close to what the Celtics could get.

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Sign Tony Allen!!

If Boston is tanking, then something like Hill + Green + 2014 first for Rondo + Sullinger(or maybe DJ White)
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!