Thread: RIP James Gandolfini

Default RIP James Gandolfini

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1377435

James Gandolfini, the New Jersey-bred actor who delighted audiences as mob boss Tony Soprano in “The Sopranos” has died following a massive heart attack in Italy, a source told the Daily News.
    “Everyone is in tears,” the source close to the 51-year-old TV tough guy said.
    A press-shy celeb who got his start as a character actor and became famous relatively late in his career — thanks to his breakout role on “The Sopranos,” Gandolfini has largely avoided the spotlight since the last season of the beloved show aired in 2007.
    The burly Westwood, N.J. native has appeared in several supporting roles since then, playing the director of the CIA in “Zero Dark Thirty” and the gruff blue-collar father of a wannabe rock star in “Not Fade Away” last year.
    Gandolfini hit Broadway in 2009 with the Tony Award-winning comedy “God of Carnage.”
    “I seek out good stories, basically — that’s it,” he told The Star-Ledger last December.
    “The older I get, the funnier-looking I get, the more comedies I’m offered. I’m starting to look like a toad, so I’ll probably be getting even more soon.”
    Gandolfini’s wife, former model Deborah Lin, gave birth to a baby girl last October. The couple married in Hawaii in 2008.
    Gandolfini — who spent part of his early career supporting himself as a bartender and nightclub manager — also has a son with his ex-wife, Marcy Wudarski.
    His first break came in 1992 when he landed a role in a Broadway version of “A Streetcar Named Desire” that starred Alec Baldwin and Jessica Lange.
    Smallish parts in major films followed — Gandolfini played a submarine crew member in “Crimson Tide” in 1995 and a gangland bodyguard in “Get Shorty” the same year.
    Fame came for the Italian-American actor after 1999, as “The Sopranos” garnered critical acclaim and cult popularity on its way to becoming a TV classic.
    Gandolfini won three Emmy Awards for his sparkling depiction of protagonist Tony Soprano, a mobster trying to balance the mundane stresses of family life and his unusual occupation: organized crime.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...#ixzz2Wi0ULgKR

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Default Re: RIP James Gandolfini

That sucks. Hopefully Tony really just went into witness protection.

R.I.P.

The Sopranos is one of my favorite shows of all time and his work in that was incredible.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I won't lie to you. This has hit me hard when I first read the news this morning. His performance in the Sopranos was so transcendent that it feels like a personal loss. RIP Jamie.
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

He will definitely be missed. Someone lost a ton of money on the Sopranos movie that won't happen now. Anybody who hasn't seen the movie True Romance I would encourage you to give it a watch. Very underated movie and great role for James Gandolfini. On a side note Gary Oldman is one of the most versital actors out there. Contrast his roles in the following films and I'm sure there are more examples: True Romance, Immortal Beloved, I think one or more of the Batman movies, Hannibal and The Professional. I put he and Danial Day Lewis up there with the next greneration of heavyweight actors taking the torch from Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood , Gene Hackman etc.
    Last edited by Twes; 06-20-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He will definitely be missed. Someone lossed a ton of money on the Sopranos movie that won't happen now. Anybody who hasn't seen the movie True Romance I would encourage you to give it a watch. Very underated movie and great role for James Gandolfini. On a side note Gary Oldman is one of the most versital actors out there. Contrast his roles in the following films and I'm sure there are more examples: True Romance, Immortal Beloved, I think one or more of the Batman movies, Hannibal and The Professional. I put he and Danial Day Lewis up there with the next greneration of heavyweight actors taking the torch from Paul Newman, Clint Eastwood , Gene Hackman etc.
    Don't forget his role as Dracula and as Lee Harvey Oswald.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Don't forget his role as Dracula and as Lee Harvey Oswald.
    I forgot about Dracula. "I have traveled across oceans of time to be with you." I always liked that line.

Oswald I didn't see. Any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Twes View Post
    I forgot about Dracula. "I have traveled across oceans of time to be with you." I always liked that line.

Oswald I didn't see. Any good?
    He did that role in a movie called JFK http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102138/?ref_=sr_1

I enjoyed the movie myself but it is one of Oliver Stone's conspiracy movies so you have to know that going into it. However no matter what you think of the movie or the subject matter Oldman's portrayal of Oswald is brilliant acting (at least IMO).

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    He did that role in a movie called JFK http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102138/?ref_=sr_1

I enjoyed the movie myself but it is one of Oliver Stone's conspiracy movies so you have to know that going into it. However no matter what you think of the movie or the subject matter Oldman's portrayal of Oswald is brilliant acting (at least IMO).
    You know what I did see that but just 1 time years ago. I liked it.

I wonder if "Don't Stop Believing" started playing in the background when James died?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I wonder if "Don't Stop Believing" started playing in the background when James died?
    I see what you did there.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Twes For This Useful Post: