Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

  1. #1
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,889

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    ESPN analysts have said that the Colts won't make the playoffs this year. Now ESPN is a little less biased for the NFL than the NBA, but really an 11-5 team with improvements and one of the best QBs in the NFL won't make the playoffs?
    "We want Miami"

  2. #2
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,607

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Meh. Our guesses are just as good as theirs.

    I just don't think the AFC is very tough. Denver and New England will be shoe-ins, but who is automatic outside of those two teams? Baltimore lost virtually every recognizable player on their team aside from Flacco and Rice. Bengals have been solid the last two seasons, but I don't see them doing much better than 10-6. Steelers are old, though they could still certainly win the division. The Texans are still the favorite to win the South, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Colts took the division. Sure our schedule is tough in spots, but so is Houston's. The last half of our season is actually pretty easy. All we have to do is weather the first half. Colts will make the playoffs.

    Teams who didn't make the playoffs last year: Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Steelers, Browns, Titans, Jags, Chargers, Raiders, Chiefs.

    Honestly, the Steelers are the only team from that group that I could see making a push at the playoffs, and that opinion is probably based off of their past glory more than anything else. But they have a great coach and a winning QB, so you have to respect them. I don't fear any of those other teams though, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-19-2013 at 02:23 PM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Looking at the schedule I think the Colts will be 9-7 and looking at a wildcard. It is very possible if the chips fall wrong they could be out, but like Sollozzo pointed out there are few teams in the AFC that appear that tough.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  5. #4
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    3,031

    Default

    I think the Colts will be the 3rd best team in the AFC by the end of the season.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:


  7. #5

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    this is why I dont watch ESPN/sportscenter anymore......

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    I think it is entirely possibly that the Colts have a worse record and miss the playoffs despite being a better team than last year.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  11. #7

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    To be fair, this is not just an ESPN opinion. Vegas win totals have them on the edge of the playoffs (8.5 is their over/under right now tied with a couple other AFC teams). This is all coming from advanced statistics for the Colts last year. Football Outsiders had the Colts as the 25th best team in the league last year. Pythagorean win expectancy had them more likely to be a 7 win team than an 11 win one. The Colts were terrible in many of the statistics usually associated with winning (such as turnover differential). Then add in the worst schedule in the league last year, and it can be seen why they are a popular pick to regress.

    The research has also shown that teams who dominate close games in one year tend to go back to average in them the next year. There are pretty much no examples of teams who simply know how to win the close ones year and year out, although having an elite quarterback does help you win a little more than your fair share. The Colts with an average record in close games last year become more like a 7 or 8 win team.

    However, where I think they are mistaken is how much the Colts will be improved this year. I do believe they overachieved last year, but they have also upgraded several positions in free agency while losing almost nothing. Even more then that they have a bunch of rookies with lots of playing time last year who are about to take the second year leap, and that experience difference is something I think is overlooked when projecting them for this year. I think they will make the playoffs and could win the division, but as BRush said the scenario where they are a better team but have a worse record and miss the playoffs is very possible.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:


  13. #8

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    We have Andrew Luck, and going to play in an offense that is going to keep him off the ground more than last year. I like our chances to make the playoffs.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Die hard Pacers fan!!!!! SIR-LANCE-ALOT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    indianapolis
    Posts
    225
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is why I dont watch ESPN/sportscenter anymore......
    U mean HEATcenter or RG3center

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SIR-LANCE-ALOT For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    NOBODY knows at this point. We added a boat load of new players on both sides of the ball. Who knows how they are going to perform and gel together? A lot of young players too. I could see our record being worse but our playoff advancement(if we get there) being better.

  18. #11
    Member presto123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Noblesville, IN.
    Posts
    3,172

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by SIR-LANCE-ALOT View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    U mean HEATcenter or RG3center
    I thought it was WOODScenter or LAKERcenter. LOL!

  19. #12
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,233

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    I stopped reading at "ESPN."

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  21. #13
    Member Downtown Bang!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Posts
    534

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by OakMoses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the Colts will be the 3rd best team in the AFC by the end of the season.
    This is the key. Progress as a team at the end of the season. I think the Colts may have a worse regular season record than last year but if they make the playoffs will be a much bigger threat to advance than this year.

  22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Downtown Bang! For This Useful Post:


  23. #14

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Bang! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the key. Progress as a team at the end of the season. I think the Colts may have a worse regular season record than last year but if they make the playoffs will be a much bigger threat to advance than this year.
    Win the division and its all a moot point but I will add that playing the NFC teams this year will be much harder than last year which is why we need to win against Houston and take back the AFC south crown.

    I like our chances with the improved run defense and offensive line and we might see a more tradtional 3-4 defense this year which should catch Opposing OCs off guard.

  24. #15
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,889

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought it was WOODScenter or LAKERcenter. LOL!
    or as it will be in the next few weeks, ChrisPaulCenter
    "We want Miami"

  25. #16
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,607

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Win the division and its all a moot point but I will add that playing the NFC teams this year will be much harder than last year which is why we need to win against Houston and take back the AFC south crown.

    I like our chances with the improved run defense and offensive line and we might see a more tradtional 3-4 defense this year which should catch Opposing OCs off guard.

    True, the NFC will be extremely hard. SF and Seattle are obviously brutally tough. It would be great if we could beat Seattle at home. Arizona will be difficult on the road because Arians knows all of Luck's tendencies. That game should be very interesting. St. Louis was 7-8-1 last year and wasn't exactly a pushover, but we have to take that game at home. 2-2 against the NFC this year would be very nice.

    Going 3-1 against the NFC last year was huge. You had the epic Green Bay win, the clutch win over the Vikings in week 2, and an incredible comeback win against Detroit. When the Bears killed us in Week 1, who would have thought that it would be the Colts who ended up making the playoffs, not the Bears?

  26. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,316

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    I look at this way too. Last year the Colts rallied around the coach because of his illness but also because they were picked dead last by the experts. This year.... Pags is back on the sidelines so with the experts still not giving respect they still can have that chip on their shoulder.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  28. #18
    Member Miller_time04's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Martinsville
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,304
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    I don't get it. Luck has more experience...Our defense, WRs, RBs, have ALL improved drastically. Offensive Line can't be any worse than last year...people keep saying oh Arians left so Luck won't do good and won't be as comfortable...REALLY?? We got his coach from College here...he's gonna be comfortable. And this offense fits him better anyways. Plus our schedule is not that difficult at all...I mean we play the Titans and Jags twice each...I see us around 12-4. Or 11-5. No lower. Getting to round two of the playoffs at least.

  29. #19
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,607

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't get it. Luck has more experience...Our defense, WRs, RBs, have ALL improved drastically. Offensive Line can't be any worse than last year...people keep saying oh Arians left so Luck won't do good and won't be as comfortable...REALLY?? We got his coach from College here...he's gonna be comfortable. And this offense fits him better anyways. Plus our schedule is not that difficult at all...I mean we play the Titans and Jags twice each...I see us around 12-4. Or 11-5. No lower. Getting to round two of the playoffs at least.
    Everything you say is certainly correct. However, it's not totally uncommon for a young team to fall back to earth a bit after a fantastic breakout season. Just look at the Lions. They were 10-6 in 2011 and everyone thought they'd be tough again in 2012, but they ended up compiling a putrid 4-12 record. Or look at the early Manning Colts. They were 6-10 in 2001 after a 13-3 season in 1999 and 10-6 one in 2000. Young teams can certainly crash after having great seasons. Keep in mind that other teams in the league will have much better scouting on the Colts this season since there is a season's worth of tape on them. I fully expect us to make the playoffs for all of the reasons you listed, but it wouldn't be the biggest shock in the world if we struggled.

    Our last eight games are pretty easy. As long as we don't drown in the first half of the season, we should make the postseason.

  30. #20
    Member pogi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    465
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    or as it will be in the next few weeks, ChrisPaulCenter
    Guys...guys...guys....it's been the Miami Tebow channel the last couple of years. C'mon, everyone knows that!!!

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to pogi For This Useful Post:


  32. #21
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Not everyone at ESPN has the Colts missing the playoffs.

    Tedy Bruschi picked the Colts to win the AFC South!

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:


  34. #22
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,464

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Win the division and its all a moot point but I will add that playing the NFC teams this year will be much harder than last year which is why we need to win against Houston and take back the AFC south crown.
    The NFC North was pretty darn good last season- it had three 10+ win teams and the Colts went 3-1 against them.

  35. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:


  36. #23
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,607

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NFC North was pretty darn good last season- it had three 10+ win teams and the Colts went 3-1 against them.

    Great point. Going 3-1 last year against the NFC was huge. It will be tough to replicate that this season, but I think we'll have a decent chance if we can just take one of the SF/Seattle games. Arizona won't be a walk in the park though either considering that Arians will know all of Luck's tendencies. And St. Louis was actually a solid team last year. I'm thinking that we'll go 2-2, but we'll have a chance at 3-1 if a couple things go our way.

  37. #24
    BoilerUpMan Really?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    4,052
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this is why I dont watch ESPN/sportscenter anymore......
    Espn and Sportscenter are okay besides first take....

    I am pretty sure the analyst have reasons why they have us not making the playoffs, typically when you hear people on here they just talk about what the Colts record will be from the changes they know we made, and the improvements that we project for our team, but rarely do we look at all the other teams in the AFC and their schedules, and their improvements.

    But either way it is still early into the offseason and no one will really have a good idea until a few games are played during the season.

    ESPN has some good shows though, but I just can't stand Stephen and Bayless
    Why so SERIOUS

  38. #25
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,454

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: ESPN has Colts out of playoffs this year

    Colts are a lock for the playoffs. NFL is a QB-drivin league. Andrew Luck is a top five QB. Only way the Colts are out is if Luck gets injured
    David "And One" West

Similar Threads

  1. Poll: How far will the Colts advance in the playoffs
    By Pacergeek in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 11:32 PM
  2. NBA playoffs' TV ratings shoot up from last year [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2009, 07:30 PM
  3. Should the Colts make the playoffs next season,
    By pacercoltfan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 09:59 AM
  4. Official Colts playoffs predictions/talk thread
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
  5. Colts & Chargers - Easy Road To Divisional Playoffs?
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 06:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •