Thread: It just seems weird....

Default It just seems weird....

A good weird in seeing your starting QB out on the field with a starting caliber QB in Matt Hasslebeck to back you up. I don't know if the Colts will have the same record as last year, but damn it is nice to see a GM use all resources available to make this team better.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It just seems weird....

An adequate backup QB?

A vastly improved running game?

These sorts of things seemed unfathomable just a couple years ago.

And a potentially legitimate NFL defense to boot!?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Very happy with Grigson and Pagano....this team is in great hands.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Miller_time04 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Very happy with Grigson and Pagano....this team is in great hands.
    Agreed.

Irsay too. I think people tend to vastly underestimate him as an owner. Under his stewardship, the Colts have transformed from a perennial joke into one of the greatest franchises in the NFL. Sure a lot of that can be attributed to Manning, but Manning hasn't taken a snap in a Colts uniform in almost three years and it looks to me like the Colts are still in pretty good shape. Irsay has overseen a organization that is absolutely brilliant at marketing itself to the local community. He also has made excellent hires for the most part and had the guts to make some very difficult decisions a year and a half ago. People write him off as this guy who inherited daddy's team and lucked into Peyton Manning, which was true at the beginning, but over the last 15 years he has shown that he knows how to run a great franchise.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    has overseen a organization that is absolutely brilliant at marketing itself to the local community.

To elaborate on this point:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- Indianapolis Colts fans will have the chance to meet some of their favorite players as the Colts Fan Fest makes a stop in Louisville Thursday.

Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener will be on hand, along with Colts cheerleaders and the band led by a former Colts punter.

The Fan Fest is from 5 to 7 p.m. at Waterfront Park, and the best part FREE admission.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/213127441.html

Typical Colts marketing brilliance. Travel 100 miles to a metro area of a million people that doesn't have an NFL team and convert them all to Colts fans. They are never satisfied with the size of their fan base. They always want more more more more. I'm originally Southern Indiana near Louisville, and I can tell you that the area is absolutely crazy about the Colts. You practically see as much Colts merch in Southern Indiana as you do in Indy. The brilliant marketing efforts such as these have paid off. I've left Indy on I-65 South towards Louisville after games, and you see a ton of cars with Kentucky license plates and Colts decals. The Colts really are a regional team nowadays, and it all goes back to an owner and front office who know how to market their team.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    To elaborate on this point:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11) -- Indianapolis Colts fans will have the chance to meet some of their favorite players as the Colts Fan Fest makes a stop in Louisville Thursday.

Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener will be on hand, along with Colts cheerleaders and the band led by a former Colts punter.

The Fan Fest is from 5 to 7 p.m. at Waterfront Park, and the best part FREE admission.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/213127441.html

Typical Colts marketing brilliance. Travel 100 miles to a metro area of a million people that doesn't have an NFL team and convert them all to Colts fans. They are never satisfied with the size of their fan base. They always want more more more more. I'm originally Southern Indiana near Louisville, and I can tell you that the area is absolutely crazy about the Colts. You practically see as much Colts merch in Southern Indiana as you do in Indy. The brilliant marketing efforts such as these have paid off. I've left Indy on I-65 South towards Louisville after games, and you see a ton of cars with Kentucky license plates and Colts decals. The Colts really are a regional team nowadays, and it all goes back to an owner and front office who know how to market their team.
    Yep! As opposed to the Pacers who, a couple years ago, sent Stuart Gray and Boomer to Bloomington for an event at the college mall. A couple years ago - Stuart Grey? Really? Was everyone on the current roster too busy to be bothered?

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Also the Colts are as focused on marketing no matter their position. They're just as apt to strike while the iron is hot and preach to the choir as to pound the pavement in a down year when they need every fan they can get.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

I remember hearing a lot of Louisville people being upset that their CBS affiliates didn't have the Colts on TV last season because the NFL and whoever decides those regions that don't have teams what games to show thought the Colts were going to be bad. I've talked to many fans at games who have came up from Kentucky to the games.

Not to write the Pacers off, they have had Paul George and George Hill at IU football games to promote the Pacers. But yeah, the Colts are first class in marketing, that is for sure.

Just happy as it looks like my two favorite teams are in great shape for the future.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    I remember hearing a lot of Louisville people being upset that their CBS affiliates didn't have the Colts on TV last season because the NFL and whoever decides those regions that don't have teams what games to show thought the Colts were going to be bad. I've talked to many fans at games who have came up from Kentucky to the games.

Not to write the Pacers off, they have had Paul George and George Hill at IU football games to promote the Pacers. But yeah, the Colts are first class in marketing, that is for sure.

Just happy as it looks like my two favorite teams are in great shape for the future.
    Yes, the Louisville market always showed the Colts during the Manning era when they were one of the best teams in the league. But they started showing the Bengals some in 2011 when Manning was down. The thing is, very few people in Southern Indiana care about the Bengals. If you're from there and like the Bengals, then odds are you're at least 50 years old. Same goes with the city of Louisville itself. Louisville is a Colts town nowadays. Watching Manning all of those years, combined with the short 100 mile distance on 65, converted people to Colts fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Also the Colts are as focused on marketing no matter their position. They're just as apt to strike while the iron is hot and preach to the choir as to pound the pavement in a down year when they need every fan they can get.

That's what makes the Colts so smart. It's not like they all of the sudden decided to go on a marketing blitz a year ago during the transition period between Manning and Luck when they were worried about losing fans. No, the Colts have been doing this kind of stuff for years and years. When we had Manning and were raising a Super Bowl banner, we still were trying to recruit fans around the region as if we were some expansion team that was desperate for support. The Colts understood that the time to go on a marketing blitz was when the team was at the height of its success. That helped ensure that people would have enough loyalty built up where they would stick around when the going got tough. Irsay is far more intelligent than people get him credit for. The Colts are easily one of the best franchises in the NFL and he deserves a ton of credit for that.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 06-29-2013 at 03:07 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he knows how much Matt can help Luck with his experience. It was a great pick up and with Luck getting Hamilton as the OC, the offense is scary good
    "We want Miami"

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After years of Polian never having one of those I am not quite sure what this whole back up QB thing is, but I kind of like it. You mean Luck may go down for a game or two and we may have some who can actually play? That just sounds crazy to me!