Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice from a Computer fellow

Default Re: Need advice from a Computer fellow

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The odds of 3 different computers having the same problem, immediately, and no real trail on Google about it tells me the problem is not the computers per se'. Maybe they have an inherent weakness to some problem that is surrounding you that other computers wouldn't have... but even that would be suspect.

Your neighbor's name is not Beldar Conehead is it?

I don't really have any idea what your neighbors could be doing to cause this if your computer isn't against an adjoining wall.... Homeland security might be one of the calls you need to make

Are they HAM radio operators by any chance?

My PC is close to an adjoining wall but not ON ONE. In between my comp station and my neighbors apartment is their wall, my 50 inch flat screen tv that sits on a stand, then after that is a window, and then my PC stand/station. I have neighbors above me, but I live in a majority black/hispanic/asian building. And haven't seen anyone moving giant magnets upstairs lately lol. My upstairs neighbors have a stereo system. But that sits I believe above our second bedroom in the apartment. Which is way at the end of the house. I don't think that could affect anything way in the living room. Also I believe PC's and monitors have a metal casing to protect from any EMI's. That and the ferrites on my vga cable which are also to neutralize EMI's.

They are doing construction of some sort in my neighborhood. But nothing heavy. Just the usual New York stuff where they build those scaffoldings with the blue top? And the metal pillars? And you can walk underneath them like a tunnel? There aren't any jackhammers, magnets, or heavy stuff that I know of. I think they're just gentrifying a few ugly buildings if that.
    Last edited by Grimp; 06-20-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Just take a camera phone shot of the screen...
    I'll post some Nikon digi camera pics soon.

The odds of 3 different computers having the same problem, immediately, and no real trail on Google about it tells me the problem is not the computers per se'. Maybe they have an inherent weakness to some problem that is surrounding you that other computers wouldn't have... but even that would be suspect.

Your neighbor's name is not Beldar Conehead is it?

I don't really have any idea what your neighbors could be doing to cause this if your computer isn't against an adjoining wall.... Homeland security might be one of the calls you need to make

Are they HAM radio operators by any chance?

Well when you talk about that it intrigues me because my first ever Gateway computer? Was a mid tower. Which is one of the big ones? Not huge, but short and chubby? The last few I've bought have been small form/hornet towers. They're like a small briefcase looking unit? That can slide neatly into a bookshelf slot or something? Perhaps this small, compact line has a weakness or subsceptability to something in the area? I just think it's strange that it'd pop up in my first e4100 6 months after I buy it. That's why I think it must be the graphics chip/video card.
    Last edited by Grimp; 06-20-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    That's why I think it must be the graphics chip/video card.
    Nope. If it was a graphics card rendering something improperly, you'd see it in the screenshot.

I've never heard of anything like this. I'm looking forward to a picture.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Nope. If it was a graphics card rendering something improperly, you'd see it in the screenshot.

I've never heard of anything like this. I'm looking forward to a picture.

Here are four digital camera photos. My graphics card by the way is intel on-board graphics. Which is a chip installed into the motherboard. Instead of a standard graphics card that fits into a slot.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2mxkqf.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/2uh6d5d.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/k1swav.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/162vma.jpg

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Again, you aren't going to have four bad graphics chips in a row. It is something to do with your location....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

I'm not seeing the problem?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Again, you aren't going to have four bad graphics chips in a row. It is something to do with your location....

I've tested that though. Moved the PC all the way near the end of the house. There's no way it could be location. That should've solved it. If it were. I have also read up on VGA displays and they are apparently vulnerable to a scenario called cross talk, which can cause display issues. I might look into getting a DVI adapter for my monitor and see if that helps anything. If it doesn't, then I might have to switch brands. Maybe Gateway just sucks now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I'm not seeing the problem?
    It's something you can see best actually being here but trust me it's there.

There is another variable to consider... You.
    Have you checked to make sure anyone else can see the problem? Maybe there's something weird going on with your eyes/glasses/contacts, lighting, walls, and something about the monitor(s).... ??

Just trying to think outside the box. You simply can't have 4 computers with the same problem and the computers be the problem (well, you could be we'd be into some long, long odds and bad luck scenarios). There has to be another variable.

I don't see anything in the photos either.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

There is another variable to consider... You.
    Have you checked to make sure anyone else can see the problem? Maybe there's something weird going on with your eyes/glasses/contacts, lighting, walls, and something about the monitor(s).... ??

Just trying to think outside the box. You simply can't have 4 computers with the same problem and the computers be the problem (well, you could be we'd be into some long, long odds and bad luck scenarios). There has to be another variable.

I don't see anything in the photos either.

Well I bought all the computers off ebay. Including the one from NewEgg so I dunno. They're all refurbished. The latest being Manufacturer refurbished. Maybe, they're all coming from the same vendor. Either way, I don't wanna look like a weirdo going around my area questioning people about construction work, magnets, etc so that's why I am trying to shrug off the location thing.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've tested that though. Moved the PC all the way near the end of the house. There's no way it could be location. That should've solved it. If it were. I have also read up on VGA displays and they are apparently vulnerable to a scenario called cross talk, which can cause display issues. I might look into getting a DVI adapter for my monitor and see if that helps anything. If it doesn't, then I might have to switch brands. Maybe Gateway just sucks now.
    I know its an inconvenience, but until you can rule out the building then, you have NOT cleared your location. I hate to be blunt, but when three of four different forums (Protip: Google is a IT Pro's best friend )are all basically telling you the exact same thing to take the PC to another building and try it there, then you need to figure out a way to do it, because unless this thing is a trick of the mind or you have an unknown vision issue going on, all four forums can't really help you solve this problem until you can.

If this were a common issue with the Gateways you are using, they probably would have surfaced sometime in the 10 years prior that these machines were actually being manufactured by Gateway. I'm 99.9% sure its not an issue with the PCs or monitors.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    I know its an inconvenience, but until you can rule out the building then, you have NOT cleared your location. I hate to be blunt, but when three of four different forums (Protip: Google is a IT Pro's best friend )are all basically telling you the exact same thing to take the PC to another building and try it there, then you need to figure out a way to do it, because unless this thing is a trick of the mind or you have an unknown vision issue going on, all four forums can't really help you solve this problem until you can.

If this were a common issue with the Gateways you are using, they probably would have surfaced sometime in the 10 years prior that these machines were actually being manufactured by Gateway. I'm 99.9% sure its not an issue with the PCs or monitors.

Well it's certainly not my vision because I was at the library the other day using their internet to print out some documents and their computers looked fine and dandy. The only thing I can think of is construction because I have construction going on the side of me, and the back. But it's not heavy. Plus, I have a building right next door to mine. Then a street, and then a construction site. I checked behind me and the house in back of mine after the yard has a satellite dish. But satellite dishes are built and installed not to cause such issues. Plus moving the PC to the end of the house would've ruled out the dish.

If it is my location, I guess the proper people to call would be the electric company. Or my landlord. My ISP definitely won't be able to help considering it's not internet related. My next door neighbor is a doctor, but I doubt she'd be stupid enough to bring home medical equipment that could cause such problems. And that would take like, a major piece of equipment.

Well it's certainly not my vision because I was at the library the other day using their internet to print out some documents and their computers looked fine and dandy.
    But maybe there is some factor in your home, and I can't think of what it might be, that is affecting your vision and playing tricks on you that just wouldn't surface at the library.

Have you looked at the monitor(s) in an absolutely dark room with no light except the monitor itself?

The problem you're having is SO weird that IMHO it's not going to be an easy computer fix per se'. IOW it's really going to take some detective work. You need to make absolutely sure it is not you and/or your eyes playing tricks on you. So have someone else verify they are seeing the same problem you do. Once you mark that off your list you need to take the computer somewhere away from your place and test it there. Have you brought a (borrowed, rented, work) laptop into your apartment to see what it does? There is the chance there's a vulnerability in the Gateways and you just happen to live where there's a perfect storm of variables that bring it out. That's doubtful but at least plausible considering the strangeness of the problem. Keep in mind if you get a laptop you can connect your existing mons to it to see how they behave... so even if a laptop looks fine I'd still try your other mons with it just to rule them (or their cabling and potential RF issues there) out of the equation.

Are you on speaking terms with any of your neighbors? You might see if they are having any TV or computer monitor issues themselves. Maybe you are not alone. In fact, maybe they already have figured out the problem and have a fix.

Also... Maybe load up a different (temporary) background on your deskptop and take another photo. Something that has lines so we might have a better chance of seeing what you're seeing and see to what level the problem is. Something like this:
    http://www.cmmchecker.com/htdocs/crosshatch.jpg

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Just saying, if you live in an older home, when older ventilation ducts vibrate, your eyes tend to vibrate at the same frequency. Smarter people have explained this elsewhere, but this is why a lot of people are convinced older structures are "haunted". They "see things" that aren't really there, because of the vibration.

Like I said, smarter people have written about this elsewhere. Look up some basics on infrasound.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

My apartment isn't old like Circa Child's Play 1980's old lol. It's not old school Ghostbusters 2 New York or before that old. So I conducted another test, was going to re-install windows to see if maybe a driver was acting up or something. But when I got to the blue install screen, I could still see the slant. Meaning it's not a driver issue. So it's A), something in the area like you guys said, B) Bad intel graphics chip, C)Something wrong with Gateway's E-series line in general, or D) The brand has just gone to pot now.

To avoid looking like a total freak, I will talk with my landlord tomorrow to see if it's something in the area or in the building. If not, I'm getting a dell computer to replace the Gateway brand. If it is something in the area causing this, it says bad things about computer manufacturers. People shell out as much as $600 or more for these systems. And the craftsmanship is so weak it can be affected by outside signals that aren't of space satellite or mad scientist-invention origins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    Just saying, if you live in an older home, when older ventilation ducts vibrate, your eyes tend to vibrate at the same frequency. Smarter people have explained this elsewhere, but this is why a lot of people are convinced older structures are "haunted". They "see things" that aren't really there, because of the vibration.

Like I said, smarter people have written about this elsewhere. Look up some basics on infrasound.
    What would the vibration cause people to see?

In this case, he sees the left side of his monitor picture appearing to be slightly 'bent' or 'slanted'. That's the kind of thing people see due to 'infrasound'?

My apartment isn't old like Circa Child's Play 1980's old lol. It's not old school Ghostbusters 2 New York or before that old. So I conducted another test, was going to re-install windows to see if maybe a driver was acting up or something. But when I got to the blue install screen, I could still see the slant. Meaning it's not a driver issue. So it's A), something in the area like you guys said, B) Bad intel graphics chip, C)Something wrong with Gateway's E-series line in general, or D) The brand has just gone to pot now.

To avoid looking like a total freak, I will talk with my landlord tomorrow to see if it's something in the area or in the building. If not, I'm getting a dell computer to replace the Gateway brand. If it is something in the area causing this, it says bad things about computer manufacturers. People shell out as much as $600 or more for these systems. And the craftsmanship is so weak it can be affected by outside signals that aren't of space satellite or mad scientist-invention origins.
    But in Gateway's defense the problem seems fairly confined. It's not like this is a common problem happening regularly all over the country. So 99% or more of the computers they've built aren't apparently having this problem. In fact, it appears you might own the only affected ones... so I wouldn't be ruling out mad scientists-inventions nearby just yet

------

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

But in Gateway's defense the problem seems fairly confined. It's not like this is a common problem happening regularly all over the country. So 99% or more of the computers they've built aren't apparently having this problem. In fact, it appears you might own the only affected ones... so I wouldn't be ruling out mad scientists-inventions nearby just yet
    Well this is my first time using this model. I had a Gateway ev700 from like 2001 that served me well up until last Spring. Then I got an e4100 small form hornet tower last October. The ev700 was I think their peak line. When Gateway was on good times with the Gateway store and all. The e4100 though I think was made in their turbulent era when they were going under, and had to buy Acer and I think Dell too. In order to compete with their rivals. So the E-series line is something I didn't start using until last fall. I've been using the ev700 mid-tower for years. Until the VGA socket went bad. It also needed more ram but finding RAM for the ev700 would've been a chore so I decided to just get a new system instead. Besides, all I needed was a tower. Not a whole new set. Perhaps I am one of the few people with this issue. Or perhaps, this line of Gateway computers didn't sell as widely as expected. Hence, the issue and a resolution isn't out there in the public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post

So here's something I looked into like a few minutes ago. I am going to buy an external graphics card for my PC. They have them where there's like a rectangular case. And you can plug a vga cable into one end. The other end has a USB cable that plugs into the USB slots in the back or front of your PC. Perhaps this will solve any signal issues if there are any, and establish whether my on board graphics card sucks or not.

Whatever you do let us know what you find out. I'm very curious as to what the problem is.

------

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    What would the vibration cause people to see?

In this case, he sees the left side of his monitor picture appearing to be slightly 'bent' or 'slanted'. That's the kind of thing people see due to 'infrasound'?
    Just a stab in the dark. As good a guess as anything else in here.

Well I found a way to survive with this....whatever the hell it is. If I retract the tilt on my crt monitor 6,7, or 8 notches...then I can get some work done. Operating at like 95% of how my Windows display SHOULD LOOK. So, when I get the new Windows 7 PC from New Egg after the one I sent back, I'll try and see what retracting the tilt option does with that display. Either way, I am still purchasing that external VGA graphics card first chance I get. Perhaps being totally entirely off the Gateway intel on board graphics chip will bring things back to where they should be.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did you recently install extra RAM? I ask because once a long time ago I upgraded the RAM on one of my computers, and it also had on board graphics. This was way back in Windows 98 days. It didn't cause an issue exactly like yours but it did cause a video issue that made my monitor flicker and wouldn't go away until I removed the RAM I had installed. In my case, disabling the on board graphics and getting a graphics card (3dfx Voodoo3) fixed the issue. 3dfx Voodoo3, now THERE'S a blast from the past.
    Last edited by travmil; 06-26-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Did you recently install extra RAM? I ask because once a long time ago I upgraded the RAM on one of my computers, and it also had on board graphics. This was way back in Windows 98 days. It didn't cause an issue exactly like yours but it did cause a video issue that made my monitor flicker and wouldn't go away until I removed the RAM I had installed. In my case, disabling the on board graphics and getting a graphics card (3dfx Voodoo3) fixed the issue. 3dfx Voodoo3, now THERE'S a blast from the past.

These PC's came with 1GB or 2GB of RAM already installed. So I am not sure about that. I am planning to get an external graphics/video card though. I have to find out if I have to disable the on board graphics before using the external card though. I would think just hooking the monitor VGA cable into the external card, and then plugging the external cards USB plug into the USB slot in my PC, would be enough. Because I surmise that the on board graphics card can't really take effect if a monitor isn't plugged into the back of the PC's VGA slot.