Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it morally worse to kill a human than it is a dog?

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is it morally worse to kill a human than it is a dog?

Try living next door to a dog that barks all night.....and a dog owner who doesn't give a damn what you think.

(as usual, TWES doesn't remember the party)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Try living next door to a dog that barks all night.....and a dog owner who doesn't give a damn what you think.

(as usual, TWES doesn't remember the party)
    Isn't that what booze is for? And maybe some antifreeze for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm going to pose this question a different way: Say some sick twisted person locked you and another person in a basement with absolutely no chance at escaping. His instructions are simple: If you kill the other person, he will let you out, unharmed, to resume your life as you choose to live it. You have seven days to accomplish this. If at the end of the seven days you are both alive, you both will be killed. The catch? The other person does not get the same instructions and does not have the same option. They just think you are both stuck in this basement together and need to rely on each other to stay strong and be there for one another. This person is not someone you are particularly close with, maybe you had a class or two together in school or dealt with each other at work periodically. You have no strong feelings or opinions on this person one way or the other. They are not a physical threat to you; if you started fighting, you would easily be able to overpower this person.

Now, copy that same scenario, except substitute the other person for a 10 week old Golden Retriever puppy. I assume in the end, each of our survival instincts would kick in enough to where we would end up killing the other person/puppy before we both got killed. My question: Which one would be harder on you, psychologically, to kill?

Oh, and it just so happens you know the proud owner of the puppy: It is your next door neighbor's dog. They bought it for their 4 year old daughter, who naturally adores the puppy. The person in there with you is kind of a loner: Not married, no kids, keeps to themselves, lives alone.

Edit: I forgot to mention, you are staying in this basement seven days no matter what. Even if you kill the other person/puppy within the first hour of being down there, you still stay in the basement seven days. Important tidbit.
    I'd cook up a plan to kill my captor when they returned in 7 days. Unless I'd just be gassed while locked in that basement.

But I don't think I'd kill a random person or a dog to save myself. There is honor in living a good life. But even that notion has its limits, if it were my family in Danger, i don't think I hold up to that kind of virtue. Further more what if it were kill a frog or be killed? I'd have to eat the frog to justify such an act. Kill a camel spider or be killed? I'd smash the spider all day long. Interesting where the lines of morality intersect... When I was a boy I'd kill birds every week with my BB gun. I feel bad about that to this day.

But to the OP. A Stray dog I would not kill, I'd look for a tag first, if I could not i find one, then I'd let it be, maybe shoo it way from your alley... No need to call animal control, and give it a death sentence.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    which human and which dog?
    Some random innocent pet, though? Never.
    Tell that to a Swat Team, and watch em laugh at you.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    do dogs have souls, spirits? Like humans do? Does a dog spirit live on beyond this life? I don't know the answer, but I don't think they do. But if dogs do then which animals do and which animals don't. I have to believe Humans are different from animals in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I don't know if a dog has a spirit that lasts beyond this earth, just like I don't know if a human does either. But I do know that my precious dog remembers, thinks, loves, has feelings, etc.

To answer your question about animals having souls, the Bible shows they do. In Hebrew the language the Old Testament was written in, the same Hebrew word for soul is applied to both mankind and animals. That being nphsh, or nefesh.

A good example is found at Leviticus 24:17,18.

The Orthodox Jewish Bible doesn’t even translate it saying, 17 And he that taketh the nefesh (soul) of any man shall surely be put to death. 18 And he that taketh the nefesh (soul) of a beast shall make it good; nefesh (soul (for) nefesh (soul).

Here’s a Hebrew Interlinear Bible where you can check for yourself. http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI...Tpdf/lev24.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    do dogs have souls, spirits? Like humans do? Does a dog spirit live on beyond this life? I don't know the answer, but I don't think they do. But if dogs do then which animals do and which animals don't. I have to believe Humans are different from animals in this regard.
    Dog's have "consciousness" which is essentially what non religious people would consider a soul. Dogs feel physical and emotional pain. (If you scan a dog's brain when it sees its owner, versus a human's brain when that human sees a person they love, the same areas of the brain are lit up.) They understand their surroundings. The have the intelligence of about a 3 year old human. They also have a sense of self.

I believe this is scientifically confirmed for all invertebrates. (I could be wrong. Certainly it's confirmed for mammals and birds.)

Personally, I have a bigger emotional reaction to someone who hurts an animal versus a human. But I think that's just my perception of what is helpless. Similarly, I'm going to have a more sympathetic reaction to someone who hurts a baby or an elderly person versus an average aged person.

And I don't think the question really matters. Because statistically speaking, if you are a person who is cruel to animals, you are likely on the path to being cruel to a human.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Dog's have "consciousness" which is essentially what non religious people would consider a soul. Dogs feel physical and emotional pain. (If you scan a dog's brain when it sees its owner, versus a human's brain when that human sees a person they love, the same areas of the brain are lit up.) They understand their surroundings. The have the intelligence of about a 3 year old human. They also have a sense of self.

I believe this is scientifically confirmed for all invertebrates. (I could be wrong. Certainly it's confirmed for mammals and birds.)

Personally, I have a bigger emotional reaction to someone who hurts an animal versus a human. But I think that's just my perception of what is helpless. Similarly, I'm going to have a more sympathetic reaction to someone who hurts a baby or an elderly person versus an average aged person.

And I don't think the question really matters. Because statistically speaking, if you are a person who is cruel to animals, you are likely on the path to being cruel to a human.
    I understand what you meant, but it's not what you wrote. (grin)

I agree with what you meant, people will much more readily spring to the aid of a person or animal that they feel someone is being cruel to rather than to someone they feel can defend themselves.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As to the captive (Saw) situation I have to ask....is our captor feeding us during the 7 days or do I have to eat what I kill?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did I just stumble into the Random, Scattered, Disturbed Thoughts thread by mistake? Maybe a resurrection of the Counting Thread?