Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Was it a good trade??

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Was it a good trade??

As it's been stated constantly, it was a great deal for both teams and it made both teams better.

We needed a starting PG for the future and they needed a starting SF for the future.

The answer here is obvious. It's been said numerous times so I don't need to say anything. It's all been said for me.

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You also have to figure in the Popp factor. Players just tend to flat out play a crap-ton better when Popp is sitting on their bench (see: Boris Diaw). I do not think Kawhi would have developed nearly as well if he stayed a Pacer.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

4. The Following User Says Thank You to neosmndrew For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by neosmndrew View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You also have to figure in the Popp factor. Players just tend to flat out play a crap-ton better when Popp is sitting on their bench (see: Boris Diaw). I do not think Kawhi would have developed nearly as well if he stayed a Pacer.
    I totally get the notion that playing for Pop is a big advantage for any player, but at some point the Pacers need to become that franchise that can take guys in and allow them to succeed because of our system. The Spurs shouldn't have sole ownership of that. WE need to become that type of solid organization that people look at as a place where players can go and realize their potential.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Totally disagree Leonard was a great prospect. Easily top 10 prospect in a really good draft. the only thing he lacked was shooting and that can be improved on. Leonard is a gym rat that is the reason he has got better. I dont think Pop has much to do with it. If anything playing for the Spurs has held him back. If he was on a team where he could get more touches he would be a better scorer imo. work ethic and talent are a scary combo Paul George is a great example. Leonard just has rare talent 7'4 wingspan and quickness and speed of a SF with a PFs body just scary.

His work ethic is what sets him apart. I liked Chris Singleton and him as top 10 picks. The difference is Singleton's backround sucked (which I didn't know until after the draft but that has to be the reason he slipped all the way to #17).

Great story on Chris Singleton and his character http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...173013986.html

I do agree in a sense. That players fail because of who drafts them. I just feel we are not the Kings or the Bucks. We are a team who develops talent. I think Leonard would be just as good if we picked him.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-17-2013 at 09:06 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

The evolution continues neosmndrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Totally disagree Leonard was a great prospect. Easily top 10 prospect in a really good draft. the only thing he lacked was shooting and that can be improved on. Leonard is a gym rat that is the reason he has got better. I dont think Pop has much to do with it. If anything playing for the Spurs has held him back. If he was on a team where he could get more touches he would be a better scorer imo. work ethic and talent are a scary combo Paul George is a great example. Leonard just has rare talent 7'4 wingspan and quickness and speed of a SF with a PFs body just scary.

His work ethic is what sets him apart. I liked Chris Singleton and him as top 10 picks. The difference is Singleton's backround sucked (which I didnt know until after the draft).

Great story on Chris Singleton and his character http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...173013986.html

I do agree in a sense. That players fail because of who drafts them. I just feel we are not the Kings or the Bucks. We are a team who develops talent. I think Leonard would be just as good if we picked him.
    Not what I remember from that draft...

I remember him as being a complete project who could play defense with the best of him but with a raw as hell offensive game. He "popped" because he playsfor SA.

Carmel HS Class of 2011

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not what I remember from that draft...

I remember him as being a complete project who could play defense with the best of him but with a raw as hell offensive game. He "popped" because he playsfor SA.
    I had him in my top 10 fringe top 5. I though he was going to get drafted at #6 to the Wizards.

He was not that raw at all. He was by far the best player on his team who played 120% all the time. He played much more like a PF in college, but that is because his team needed it, they needed his rebounding and inside play to compete. He handled the ball when given the chance. His only weakness was shooting. He was a great decision maker and could pass and dribble better than most especially for his size, he just didnt get to show it as much due to the way he was used.

But I remember everyone said Paul George was raw when he was at Fresno and would be a project for us which was not true IMO. So maybe what you are saying is true, I just don't agree with it.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 06-17-2013 at 09:11 PM.

Die hard Pacers fan!!!!! SIR-LANCE-ALOT's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ejwallace View Post
    Watching these finals, I can't help but notice that Kawhi Leonard seems to be a solid player that is going to be star in the league. I am not saying he's a franchise player, but I am saying he is an impressive player....

It made me wonder, and I wanted to get some other input on it as well....Was the Leonard for Hill trade on draft night a good or bad trade?

I realize they play different positions, and with Granger and PG24 he would have to play out of his position, but we would've also had him locked up on a rookie contract for a few years...Would he have suited us better to sit on and develop to trade for someone else??
    regardless we wouldve had to find a starting PG somewhere, but imagine PG24 and Leonard at the guard and small forward starting position, our D would be sick, but would we had drafted him tho? im sure the trade was all about the spurs wanting him and him being there when the pacers picked for the deal to go down, i guess we can only dream....lol

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by SIR-LANCE-ALOT View Post
    regardless we wouldve had to find a starting PG somewhere, but imagine PG24 and Leonard at the guard and small forward starting position, our D would be sick, but would we had drafted him tho? im sure the trade was all about the spurs wanting him and him being there when the pacers picked for the deal to go down, i guess we can only dream....lol
    Read the article posted earlier... yes, we would have drafted him.
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tadscout For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I think this is a great point. Certainly I thought Hill would be more of a super sub, maybe a Jarrett Jack level player. His development as a floor leader has been a pleasant surprise.

So if there's anyone among us who called him as our future starting PG when we acquired him, then as far as I'm concerned you're free to toot your horn
    I called him our future starting point guard on draft night.(day of the trade)

Waiting for people to claim the same thing in few minutes....

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I called him our future starting point guard on draft night.(day of the trade)

Waiting for people to claim the same thing in few minutes....
    Our starting point guard was Darren Collison. Not exactly going out on a huge limb.

And yes, pretty much the overwhelming majority of the board was happy with the trade. The rest of us just didn't feel the need to try and pat ourselves on the back for it two years later.

Here are a couple more threads relating to the deal.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...pick-and-trade

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...72#post1258372
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Banned

OK I was wrong about been the only one happy my bad.

But thanks to BWD I found my first post after the trade.

I like the trade, I think we got our starting point guard, DC better start kicking a$$ next year.

Take that haters

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Our starting point guard was Darren Collison. Not exactly going out on a huge limb.

And yes, pretty much the overwhelming majority of the board was happy with the trade. The rest of us just didn't feel the need to try and pat ourselves on the back for it two years later.
    Just so you know there was a poll about starting either Hill or DC and 79+ pleople voted to start DC and only 1 person voted to start Hill(me) great timing to act like DC is crap(after the fact).

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Just so you know there was a poll about starting either Hill or DC and 79+ pleople voted to start DC and only 1 person voted to start Hill(me) great timing to act like DC is crap(after the fact).
    Where?

I found two polls.

The first from July after his signing in which you didn't vote. That poll saw 8% pick Hill as the starting PG, 12% as the starting SG, and 80% as a bench combo guard. The other was in January of that year that saw 3/4 of the people choose to keep him off the bench and a quarter to start him. You were a part of the latter. So bravo on that. But to act like you were some loner who saw something nobody else did is patently absurd at best and downright lying at worst.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...tion-what-role

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthre...arren-Collison
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Banned

That one thread you posted is the one I'm talking about, people voted for Hill after Hill became the starting point guard, even ilive4sports(or somebody else?) made a joke because he was the second guy to vote for Hill after the fact and he thought I didn't see it.

The thread voting was 79-1 for few weeks.

Dont pull a muscle patting yourself on the back now....
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Coming into the draft, Leonard was universally seen as a Gerald Wallace clone. While that isn't a bad thing, it's not what the Pacers needed with a healthy Granger, a budding Paul George and a grossly overmatched Darren Collison. While Leonard has developed some offense, it goes without saying that landing in San Antonio has helped tremendously in Leonard's development.

Had we traded him to another squad with not so much of a structured environment, we may be saying that this trade was a hands down win for the Pacers but as it stands, it's a win- win for both side.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

I'm having a hard time envisioning the posters on this forum agreeing 79-1 on anything.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I'm having a hard time envisioning the posters on this forum agreeing 79-1 on anything.
    There was a poll that was that lopsided at one time, but it was about Lance and not about George Hill starting. I couldn't believe it either.