Thread: Something good for Artest I guess.

Default Something good for Artest I guess.

I head on the ESPN shootaround that he is in therapy right now.

Now, I'm as big a fan as you can be of the guys play. As far as on the court stuff he is everything you want in a player as far as I'm concerned.
    But I'm also glad that someone who obviously has issues is working on getting them sorted out. I personally know where he is coming from.

Default Re: Something good for Artest I guess.

That's good to hear.

I thought he was already in anger management classes and such....

XXSASSXX31

This is great news!!!!

This buys into my notion there are things going on under the table which can help Ron come back by the end of the season...wait and see people, wait and see!

How was it presented on ESPN?

But yeah, we've already heard that from Donnie and a couple reporters.

Quote Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is great news!!!!

This buys into my notion there are things going on under the table which can help Ron come back by the end of the season...wait and see people, wait and see!
    Not to rain on anyone's parade or soil the punchbowl BUT these are things Artest likely has to do to get back in the NBA for NEXT season.

Stern did say that all the suspended players would have to show they've learned from the experience before they would be allowed back (paraphrased)... and he meant 'after' the suspension period.

It's probably now been made apparent to Artest that he has a long row to hoe before getting back in the NBA even for next season. Promoting the Allure album and waiting for the arbitrator to reinstate him wasn't going to get it done. And now that the hands have been played, the arbitrator has made a decision that has been upheld by the courts. Do you really think Stern would revisit it? Why? And who's to say that when the suspension runs out, even if the NBA is satisified, that the Pacers will be satisified?

IOW, anything that Ron is doing now is IMHO likely for the league and team for a shot at having a 'next season'... not for a return this season...

-Bball

XXSASSXX31

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Not to rain on anyone's parade or soil the punchbowl BUT these are things Artest likely has to do to get back in the NBA for NEXT season.

Stern did say that all the suspended players would have to show they've learned from the experience before they would be allowed back (paraphrased)... and he meant 'after' the suspension period.

It's probably now been made apparent to Artest that he has a long row to hoe before getting back in the NBA even for next season. Promoting the Allure album and waiting for the arbitrator to reinstate him wasn't going to get it done. And now that the hands have been played, the arbitrator has made a decision that has been upheld by the courts. Do you really think Stern would revisit it? Why? And who's to say that when the suspension runs out, even if the NBA is satisified, that the Pacers will be satisified?

IOW, anything that Ron is doing now is IMHO likely for the league and team for a shot at having a 'next season'... not for a return this season...

-Bball

Why do you have to be pessimistic (did I spell that right?) and not looking at the positives....the NBA will allow Ron back next season even if he does not do therapy...do you really think the NBA will refuse Ron in the league??? Stern can talk a good game...but if Ron does not come back this season, I do not think Stern would do anything to not allow him next season...

On the bright side, I think this is a good news for Ron and the Pacers and you never know...things are probably going down under the table and I would not be shocked if Ron came back this season....

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
    Why do you have to be pessimistic (did I spell that right?) and not looking at the positives....the NBA will allow Ron back next season even if he does not do therapy...do you really think the NBA will refuse Ron in the league??? Stern can talk a good game...but if Ron does not come back this season, I do not think Stern would do anything to not allow him next season...

On the bright side, I think this is a good news for Ron and the Pacers and you never know...things are probably going down under the table and I would not be shocked if Ron came back this season....
    I wish I had the same confidence on Ron coming back this season.I think we have about 0.5% of a chance he will come back.Sad, but its the truth.Even the arbitrator thought Ron's season long suspension was ok. Just becuase he is getting anger management isn't gonig to get him a pass back to the NBA this season.Its best to just move on.Its over, we don't have Ron until next year.We can't sit and think "what if?" Just stop thinking about Ron so much and it might ease your pain(It helped me with my agony from the suspensions to stop to thinking about Ron all the time.) and then if we don't get him you won't be as hurt and if we do get him back you will be
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I think this is positive news regardless of how it inpacts his suspension or not.
    He needs this help for himself and not just as a way to get back to basketball. There are more important things in life.

Ron does not have to apply for re-instatement does he?

I did have one (positive) theory on Ron. After the brawl, I decided maybe this suspension was just what Ron needed, to help him get it together finally, and maybe next year would be his make or break year.

Confirmation Ron is doing this is great, it means he really is making an effort, more good reports like this, and I would not mind seeing him come back. A genuine effort is key though.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Guaransheed

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    I believe he does.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ithrewthecup
    I believe he does.
    You believe wrong. His suspension is over as of the end of the 2004-2005 season, and he is elligible to return to training camp for the 2005-2006 season, period. He does not need to apply for reinstatement because he has not been banned from the league. He's still affiliated with the NBA, unlike say Pete Rose, who DOES have to apply for reinstatement to MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood

I suppose it depends on how you read this:

David Stern: I would say that to the extent that it was my decision, I did not strike from my mind the fact that Ron Artest has been suspended on previous occasions for the loss of self-control.

In addition, I would say that each of the players are going to have to satisfy us that they understand the gravity of what they’ve done and that we have assurances that it will not be repeated by them. That may take different forms with respect to different players, but this is something that will definitely be on an agenda. Frankly, we’ve got a lot of work to do in the next several days and coming weeks, but it is our practice and has been our practice to deal specifically with the discipline itself in a timely fashion, which we have. There may be other wrinkles … I’m sure that someone is going to ask me about the salary cap, or some connectivity like that, and I just want to make the point that is something much more profound. It was important for us to get this out. And to your point, we will be expecting the players to be able to assure us in a matter satisfactory to us, that they are capable of accepting their professional guidelines that come from being and are attached to being an NBA player, which is the exercise of self-control and professionalism that was absent here.

While I am quoting Stern at the press conference...
    Stern: As it relates to the Pacers and Ron Artest, I would say to you that Ron has not been unwilling to seek to control his emotions and to exercise self-constraint and self-control, and to seek assistance to do that. But unfortunately, whatever assistance he has received up to this point did not keep him from doing something that was unforgivable Friday night.

That implies Artest has sought help before that the league was aware of (at some point).

For those that want to relive that entire Sunday afternoon press conference the text is here:
    http://www.insidehoops.com/conference-transcript.shtml

-Bball

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar
    I thought he was already in anger management classes and such....
    My wife made me go to anger management classes once, really pissed me off too!

Guaransheed

I spoke without reading the whole thing, I think he has to be cleared to play by doctors not reinstated.