Thread: Over 850 Teachers/Staffers laid off in Chicago

Default Over 850 Teachers/Staffers laid off in Chicago

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3444324.html

CPS Layoffs: More Than 850 Teachers And Staffers Handed Pink Slips By District
    Posted: 06/14/2013 7:15 pm EDT | Updated: 06/14/2013 7:15 pm EDT

The worst fears of Chicago Public School teachers and staffers were confirmed Friday when district officials announced it was laying off some 850 employees.

“Given the historic financial crisis facing our District, next year’s budget will not come without painful decisions, which is why we are making tough choices at central office in order to minimize impacts to our classrooms,” said CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett in a statement Friday. “We will continue this work over the next several weeks to further identify reductions to central office spending to help close the District’s $1 billion deficit and make sure that every dollar helps protect precious classroom funding.”

Affected employees are those in the 55 schools closing at the end of the current school year as well as those slated for "turnaround", WBEZ reports. CPS said a portion of those losing their jobs were either probationary teachers or teachers with unsatisfactory performance reviews.

As the news trickled in late Friday, the Chicago Teachers Union had not yet been notified that the layoffs were happening, according to the Sun-Times.

CTU President Karen Lewis met with Byrd-Bennett Friday morning and no mention of layoffs was made, DNAinfo Chicago reports. At a press conference, Lewis said the pink slips were issued "before anyone knows how many students will return to CPS next year and how many students in closing campuses will actually enroll in so-called welcoming schools."

At the closing schools, the cuts are nearly half of the staff which include teachers, paraprofessionals, bus aides and part-time staffers.

The CTU is inviting the public to attend an injunction hearing at the Dirksen Federal Building starting July 16.

"This is a huge proceeding in terms of efforts to stop the CPS, the Board of Education and Mayor Rahm Emanuel from a record number of school closings," the CTU said in a statement Friday.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Over 850 Teachers/Staffers laid off in Chicago

Oh the world of education. Why anyone in this country would want to get involved with education is beyond me. The world of education has changed so much over the past decades that, to me at least, it has to be one of the must unfullfilling jobs out there.

These teachers that are let go should use this as an escape and go do something else where they will be better used.

I got to give it to China they know how to do education in their country. They do not vilify their teachers, they pay them well, which encourages outstanding teachers to stay, and have their kids under control when in school.

Chiraq just keeps on getting worse.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh the world of education. Why anyone in this country would want to get involved with education is beyond me. The world of education has changed so much over the past decades that, to me at least, it has to be one of the must unfullfilling jobs out there.

These teachers that are let go should use this as an escape and go do something else where they will be better used.

I got to give it to China they know how to do education in their country. They do not vilify their teachers, they pay them well, which encourages outstanding teachers to stay, and have their kids under control when in school.
    You mean the children in China that actually get educated, correct? We are the only country in the world that provides "free' education to every child, actually mandating they attend school until a certain age. It does not matter if the parents care for the kids, if they even have parents, or their ability to perform in school. We are also expected to get every child, no matter what they lack coming in the doors, to perform at the same level unless they have been identified with a valid disability. (Sorry, parents that do not care, do not feed you, or get you to bed so you can stay awake are not a valid disability.) Despite those challenges, the leaders tasked with funding this massive, challenging, and very worthy undertaking, spend more time trying to not pay for it adequately and make the rules on how it should be done with no clue how it is done.

While teacher pay is not the best, what is worse is the lack of support, resources and, in some cases, serviceable buildings to do the job in. From local school boards and district leadership all the way to the White House, education is just another pawn to get elected and hold power. The high stakes testing scheme does nothing but make the people who create the tests money, though a side affect has been many students who needed special education services who previously would have fallen through the cracks now receive them. Unfortunately many schools and districts abused this and now the process to even get a child tested is so cumbersome and drawn out some teacher don't even try to fight the battle.

I have much more i could add to this having taught the past 16 years in public, private, and charter schools (oh don't get me started there) but I'm too tired to go on.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean the children in China that actually get educated, correct? We are the only country in the world that provides "free' education to every child, actually mandating they attend school until a certain age. It does not matter if the parents care for the kids, if they even have parents, or their ability to perform in school. We are also expected to get every child, no matter what they lack coming in the doors, to perform at the same level unless they have been identified with a valid disability. (Sorry, parents that do not care, do not feed you, or get you to bed so you can stay awake are not a valid disability.) Despite those challenges, the leaders tasked with funding this massive, challenging, and very worthy undertaking, spend more time trying to not pay for it adequately and make the rules on how it should be done with no clue how it is done.

While teacher pay is not the best, what is worse is the lack of support, resources and, in some cases, serviceable buildings to do the job in. From local school boards and district leadership all the way to the White House, education is just another pawn to get elected and hold power. The high stakes testing scheme does nothing but make the people who create the tests money, though a side affect has been many students who needed special education services who previously would have fallen through the cracks now receive them. Unfortunately many schools and districts abused this and now the process to even get a child tested is so cumbersome and drawn out some teacher don't even try to fight the battle.

I have much more i could add to this having taught the past 16 years in public, private, and charter schools (oh don't get me started there) but I'm too tired to go on.
    Oh I realize that China does not teach every student especially the special needs kids, but the way they view education and the teachers is something the US could really learn from. Actually respecting teachers and encouraging the best to go into education and not making it sound like anyone with a half a brain could teach is something this country needs.

Everything you said is spot on and that is why I tell anyone I know that comes to me about advice with a career in education to run for another job because I do not see it getting any better anytime soon.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post: