Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update on Damp trade

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Update on Damp trade

IS says no Damp/Claxton deal:

http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/122035-9189-039.html

Of course Donnie told Al he's "off the market" so what does that mean?
    That doesn't seem too much of a "No, we aren't making a deal" rather than it being that they aren't interested in it right now. As the guy on the GS board says, if Detroit gets Sheed then I think it changes the Pacers mindset.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

That doesn't seem too much of a "No, we aren't making a deal" rather than it being that they aren't interested in it right now. As the guy on the GS board says, if Detroit gets Sheed then I think it changes the Pacers mindset.
    I think so too. Think NJ is sitting still?

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think so too. Think NJ is sitting still?
    Yeah NJ is going to stay where they are. I don't think they trade Martin, and if they did GS fans would go crazy. Possibly Jefferson COULD be dealt but it would take a big offer to do that.

Also it looks like Atlanta is ready to deal again as a GM usually doesn't say what Knight said. It was to the extent that there were two teams (Detroit, and NY) in very active talks and that a deal will probably happen.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Dunleavy and Dampier for Harringtona nd Bender would be the worst trade the Pacers have ever made since DW took over in 1986.
    It would be a disaster.

Cannot believe any of you think it might be OK.

Damp is a slow lazy post player with horrible hands and a very questionable work ethic and isn't he a free agent.

The thought of Croshere and Dunleavy being the backup forwards turns my stomach. Has there ever been a worse defensive tandem in the history of the NBA

Horrible trade, horrible
    No it wouldn't be the worst trade he has ever made.

The trade that sent away a player who provided solutions to both of our problems for a player who is just now getting 8 min. a game was the worst trade ever made.

I am NOT going to debate the merits of contracts or money or anything in this post. I am just talking about the on court product alone.

Brad Miller was a legitimate center in size & he also had an outside shot to open up the middle for Jermaine.

Not to mention, he's an All-star. You can't even deny that anymore.

So at face value Brad Miller (all-star) for Scot Pollard (3rd string center, remember J.O. plays center with A.H. & R.A.) is the worst trade we have ever made & I really can't think of anything that would even come close to being as bad as that.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

Peck not only was that a bad trade it would be what is forcing this move.

They are now looking at dumping Al for a center who is better than the one we have but not as good and makes more than the one we had.

Mood

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story, huh guys?
    Who are you talking to?

[quote="Peck"]
    [b]I am NOT going to debate the merits of contracts or money or anything in this post. I am just talking about the on court product alone.

Brad Miller was a legitimate center in size & he also had an outside shot to open up the middle for Jermaine.

Not to mention, he's an All-star. You can't even deny that anymore.

So at face value Brad Miller (all-star) for Scot Pollard (3rd string center, remember J.O. plays center with A.H. & R.A.) is the worst trade we have ever made & I really can't think of anything that would even come close to being as bad as that.
    Yep, bad trade talent wise. But without it the Pacers would probably have not been able to eliminate Ron Mercer's salary and would have wound up serious luxury tax payers. The trade saved the Pacers bottom line nearly 30 million, counting:

1) salary
    2) luxury tax on the salary
    3) loss of shared team revenues which was nearly 15 mil last season.

[size=9:033e97044c]Unless, of course, you are one of those who think the luxury tax won't apply this year and is an imaginery fear. [/size]

Who are you talking to?

He's talking to Peck and Rag, of course.

Screw these trades... they're crap.

tdeltdot

I am not sure why people look at Speedy as a selling point. We already have 4 point guards and Speedy isn't a lock to start over Tins.

We would be giving up Al and changing the roster with the second best record in the NBA for a center in to his 1st good season (whom I'd say we have about as much chance of signing as Brad) and an average pt guard who has never played a complete season as a starter.
    Speedy can guard point guards better than any guard on the Pacers roster. Dampier has a good chance of staying on the Pacers roster either by not opting out, or the fact that the Pacers can still offer him a good chunk of money, and even at the very worst a sign and trade can occur.

Harrington will NOT realize his potential in Indy unless Artest or JO is traded, and those three on the front-line make me shudder when playing any physical team. Also if this trade is done, a Croshere for Taylor trade can be made as well, to give the Pacers an Al like guy off the bench.
    WOW, Speedy's a better defender than Fred Jones!! Ok, then I want this guy!
    You are DEAD wrong about Al. (and that lineup, it is our best)
    An "Al like guy". Gotta love it. (not)
    Speedy is, IMO, an excellent player and he's been on a tear since mid-Jan, including 19 points, 13 assists and 7 steals in his last game. He, I think, is such a good player that this trade is really just a pipe-dream - i.e. way too lopsided in the Pacers favor.

What the hell are you talking about?

I said in my post from an on court talent move only. How can any facts get in the way of that.

The trade.

Scot Pollard for Brad Miller.

You honestly are saying that that is a good basketball move? If you were the G.M. of Sac. & I'm the G.M. of the Pacers & I came up & offered to move Scot back to the Kings for Brad you would do it?

Does nobody else find the irony of almost every post on here calling for trades today is one that has the Pacers seeking a center?????? :censor:

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Nonsense, revisionist history, Pollie was nothing more then a band-aid for losing a free agent, nothing to do with a trade, no matter how you want to call it.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Nonsense, revisionist history, Pollie was nothing more then a band-aid for losing a free agent, nothing to do with a trade, no matter how you want to call it.

I call it nothing more than what the official NBA transaction calls it.

A trade.

Mood

I call it nothing more than what the official NBA transaction calls it.

A trade.
    It was a trade. Fine. But I hope you're not kidding yourself into thinking it was a basketball trade and not a business trade.

Sports Logo

No matter how you spin it The "trade" or "bandaid" was stupid. The Pacers would have been in much better condition had we let Brad walk and kept Mercer's expiring contract.

Or we would not be looking for a center at all had we simply kept Brad for the money we are paying Pollard and Kenny. Neither of whom are helping us win any games right now.

Right now the Pistons ended up with Sheed for NOTHING exept expiring contracts. We could have had Dampier had we kept Mercer and used him as part of the deal.

No matter how you spin it the Pacer brass f#cked up this summer.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We're argueing ancient history. The reality is we have a chance to do good things this year but we have a major flaw. Now, how to fix that problem?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

We're argueing ancient history. The reality is we have a chance to do good things this year but we have a major flaw. Now, how to fix that problem?
    trade Al.

No matter how you look upon it, unless you want to loose Ron or JO this summer, his time is running out here, he will not stand for a 6th man position and he is not in the better 2 of this 3 so......

realisticly there is no place for him here in the future unless you let either one of the captains go.

No one ever wondered why Ron made "captain" and not Al?

Al is an internal accident (read disaster) waiting to happen.

Let's make one thing clear, Al is VERY good player, who will be a starting PF or SF, just not on this team, now if he could bang.......

Half an hour left for P management to "react" to the sheed trade.

we'll see, no news on Dampy is no trade yet, meaning all options still open.
    No news on DD either, and I'm willing to bet he IS moving.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually Able, trades can occur AFTER THE DEADLINE, IF the trade discussion started BEFORE the deadline passed. WWeird huh? It's happened before.

I totally agree. I'm still willing to deal Al for a big and whatever we can get. Believe it or not. We have needs and using Al to fill-in for RA while he's injured will not address those needs.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They can be approved after the deadline, but they must be submitted to the league office at or before the deadline.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Right now the Pistons ended up with Sheed for NOTHING exept expiring contracts.
    Well, not exactly. The deal cost them two first round draft picks.

So assuming they don't re-sign Wallace, it's rent-a-Wallace this season for two first round draft picks BUT Detroit also gets the capspace to re-sign Okur.

Man I was kinda hoping we'd make a trade for Damp even if Al had to be in it.

now if he could bang"

You're losing credibility.
    Fast. ed:
    Yep, that's the way to do it: if you run out of arguments and proof you just attack the poster, class act.

Well at least I have credibility to loose