Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers Digest mock draft 2013 FINAL, POST 1 UPDATED

Default Re: Pacers Digest mock draft 2013

When assessing the Bobcats’ draft needs, one thing became clear: the Bobcats suck. Trying to determine their biggest area of need was a little like me trying to determine what toppings I need on my frozen yogurt at one of those self-serve places: eventually I just give up and realize I need pretty much everything.

The Bobcats were last in the league in field goal percentage last year, so they need shooters. But they were also 27th in rebounding, so they need big men. But they were also 29th in assists, so they need distributors. And I’m assuming they were last in watchability, as there just wasn’t much interesting at all about this team.

Charlotte is potentially not TOO bad off at the 1,2 and 3, with Kemba Walker, Gerald Henderson (RFA) and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. So there is some potential there, although again, there isn’t a particularly strong shooter among that group. Henderson would probably be better served coming off the bench, but at least he’s serviceable, and the other two could be starters for a long time.

Although there are still question marks with the backcourt, those players look like a bunch of all-stars compared to the front court. Bismack Biyombo could become a first-rate defensive player eventually, but he still has miles to go offensively. And at the “4” position, the group of Byron Mullens, Tyrus Thomas and some guy named McBob was, to put it kindly, a steaming pile of dog excrement. And all three could be gone, as Mullens and McBob are free agents and there are rumors they may amnesty Thomas to get rid of his $8 million salary.

I suppose if I were to pick one position the Bobcats most need to fill, it is PF. But they are so lacking in elite talent that I don’t believe they can draft for need, but rather need to take the best player available. Apparently GM Rich Cho agrees, as he has stated that his philosophy is to draft for talent and trade for need, and I think that is wise in this case. They’ll also have a good amount of cap space this offseason to try to fill needs.

Honestly, I feel like Charlotte’s best option may be to trade down to acquire multiple pieces (unless Ben McLemore falls to them, as he did here). If they can slide down a few spots (around No. 9) and take a big man like Alex Len, he might be a good fit. But I just can’t take him at No. 4. I may have considered Victor Oladipo here as well, but although he’s an elite athlete, I’m not sure he’s the answer here, either. When McLemore slid to me, though, the choice was clear.

So with the fourth pick, I’m giving Charlotte: Ben McLemore, SG, Kansas

McLemore gives them an elite athlete and would immediately be their best shooter. He makes Gerald Henderson expendable if they choose not to bring him back and would be a good fit between Walker and Kidd-Gilchrist. He would also give the Bobcats another player capable of being a top-notch defender.

I was strongly considering Anthony Bennett from UNLV, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see him end up with Charlotte, as that would have been my pick had McLemore been taken and Bennett not. But fortunately for the Bobcats in this case, McLemore was still on the board, as I had him No. 2 on my big board (full disclosure: I don't actually have a board).

So welcome to Charlotte, Ben McLemore! Try not to toil in anonymity like most players that go there!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:

McLemore would potentially be such a perfect fit for the Wolves.
    Bennett looks like another Brandon Bass to me. I hope I'm wrong. Btw, if Bennett pans out, along with Wiggins, Nicholson, Tristan Thompson, Canada could be a major force in FIBA in a few years.

New Orleans Pelicans (Mackey_Rose) on the clock.

Re draft list -- yes, I'm updating names in the 1st post. That picks list is huge, I don't want to clog the thread. I'll see if I can maybe put it in my signature in spoilers or such, no idea if that works.
    Last edited by hackashaq; 06-12-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Welcome CJ Miles! BlueCollarColts's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Suns FO feels our team needs help offensively and defensively, we feel good with Our PF, C, and PG spots which will be mostly be manned by Goran Dragic, Luis Scola, and Marcin Gortat, we feel we can get by with the SF spot with Michael Beasley and Jared Dudley taking most of those minutes, at the SG position we feel there is a special talent in this draft in Victor Oladipo so with the 5th pick in the 2013 NBA Draft the Pheonix Suns select Victor Oladipo, SG Indiana University We think Oladipo can help us with both offensively and defensively, we watched him in college and know how good he is at driving to the rim, with him arguably being the most athletic guy in the draft, we feel he can be a force driving to the rim and be a lock-down defender, the one knock we have on him is his lack of an outside shot, but this past year at Indiana we saw great improvement in that aspect of his game, and with more hard work put in by Oladipo, we feel he can soon have a very good outside shot. We feel if he can develop a consistent outside shot we will have one heck of a player, and hopefully become the cornerstone of our franchise. We like the fact that he would also run Indiana's offense at times, and think that can help him a lot here in Pheonix. We think we can use his ball handling ability to run our offense at times if it becomes ineffective, and we know with him, he will always make the right basketball play. with this pick we hope to acquire the future face of our franchise, a perennial all-star player, and hopefully a future superstar player.
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 06-12-2013 at 03:10 PM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

I hate the pick of Burke for the Magic. McLemore this year and either Exum, Smart, Harrison next year. They all are much better prospects than Burke IMO. Not to mention they could get Wiggins next year damn. I don't see them going pg, but that's just me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate the pick of Burke for the Magic. McLemore this year and either Exum, Smart, Harrison next year. They all are much better prospects than Burke IMO. Not to mention they could get Wiggins next year damn. I don't see them going pg, but that's just me.
    Exum still maintains he wants to go to college in the States for a year before declaring for the draft.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the draft shakes out like this later this month, would 19, 31, & 33 plus a protected 2015 first be enough to climb back to six and get Otto Porter?

The Cavs could put a lineup of Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, Otto Porter, Tristan Thompson, and Nerlens Noel on the floor. Their average age couldn't even legally buy a beer but they'd seem to fit together well.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Didn't see it posted yet, but Mackey Rose is on the clock

So appearently Dario Saric is out of the draft. I think he would've been my pick. Why would he withdraw when he seems a lottery lock, maybe even mid lotto? It makes no sense to wait for the loaded 2014 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    If the draft shakes out like this later this month, would 19, 31, & 33 plus a protected 2015 first be enough to climb back to six and get Otto Porter?

The Cavs could put a lineup of Kyrie Irving, Dion Waiters, Otto Porter, Tristan Thompson, and Nerlens Noel on the floor. Their average age couldn't even legally buy a beer but they'd seem to fit together well.
    I doubt it. I wonder if one of the top 3-4 (or so) teams would consider Derrick Williams + Wolves' #9 for their pick? I think McLemore or Porter would be worth it for the Wolves.

Mackey_Rose is on the clock. It's getting close to skip time. It's been 14-15 hours now but we'll wait 3-4 more hours since it's early morning in Indiana.

In case he doesn't show up, is there anyone who missed out on the draft and wants to join and represent the Pelicans?

PS: According to espn, Dario Saric is still in the draft. He will stay in the draft if he gets a promise from a lotto team but he wants to stay in Europe for a year. So, if a lotto team wants to make that promise, he's eligible.
    Last edited by hackashaq; 06-13-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    Mackey_Rose is on the clock. It's getting close to skip time. It's been 14-15 hours now but we'll wait 3-4 more hours since it's early morning in Indiana.

In case he doesn't show up, is there anyone who missed out on the draft and wants to join and represent the Pelicans?

PS: According to espn, Dario Saric is still in the draft. He will stay in the draft if he gets a promise from a lotto team but he wants to stay in Europe for a year. So, if a lotto team wants to make that promise, he's eligible.
    From a lotto team. Hahahaha Good luck. I do hope he does though, cause that only helps the Pacers out.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Several lottery teams are rumored to love him. But the one year in Europe thing is likely to hurt. He should've just pulled Fran Vasquez and made that decision to come to the NBA or not after the draft.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Wow, getting serious.

In the best news to hit the NBA in the last decade or so, we, the New Orleans Hornets decided to change our name to the Pelicans. Think about that. There is a professional sports franchise in the United States named the Pelicans. God Bless America!

The Pelicans are in an interesting position. We don't have very much money wrapped up long term in anybody, except Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, and Anthony Davis's #1 pick rookie contract. We tried to find a sucker to take on Doc River's kid for a gently used laundry machine, but nobody bit. So we've got him for at least another year. Unless he does a total 180 from last year, I would not be picking up his option, and would just cut my losses. That won't happen. Even if he is as bad as he was in 2012-2013, and he was historically bad, he will get his option exercised because we foolishly used a lottery pick on him.

This is probably the easiest pick of the draft so far. We considered the Cavs offer of their next 3 picks, and a future (non-2014, which was a deal breaker) 1st round pick for our #6, but the drop down to #19 was just too much to absorb. We have a lot of needs, but we don't think there will be enough quality at the 19, 31, and 33 picks to make up for giving up #6. If the guy we wanted all along wasn't on the board, that might have been a different story.

The front court is at least decent with the Brow, Ryan Anderson, and Sideshow Robin Lopez. Davis has a chance to be an elite defensive player, and has all the necessary ability to become a solid offensive player. He's very skilled for a big guy, and as he adds to his game, he could become the franchise player we've needed since Chris Paul demanded a trade. That trade, while necessary, created many new and different problems for us. Thanks to David Stern's "basketball reasons," we got the serious shaft in the deal. We essentially traded Chris Paul for Al-Farouq Aminu, and a maxed out Eric Gordon. I guess that's what we get for allowing David Stern to run our team. Sure, Gordon didn't have that contract when he came here, but what were we going to do, not keep the guy we traded the best point guard of a generation for? Talk about being put in between a rock, and a hard place.

Just a few years ago, we had Chris Paul running our team, and killing it on the pick and roll with David West. Now we have Greivis Vasquez starting at point guard, and while he isn't CP3, (who is?) he's surprisingly effective. He's a very good distributor, and we think if we could put better players around him, he'd be good enough to take us into the playoffs, but that's probably not happening this season. If there was a better option out there, and we thought maybe we'd get a shot at Trey Burke, we'd have no problem drafting a potential replacement and bring Vasquez off the bench. He's good, but he's definitely not irreplaceable. With Burke going much higher than we thought he would, we won't even be considering any of the other point guards in this draft.

One of those players we'd like to put next to Vasquez, is Eric Gordon. Talk about frustrating. We have committed $58+ million to EJ, and we'd love to see him on the floor. When he's healthy, he's been one of the 5 best shooting guards in the game. He is a great shooter, and plays very tough defense. Even if he is a bit undersized, he is able to make up for that lack of height and length, through his athleticism and by being one of the strongest perimeter players in the league. Unfortunately, he just hasn't been able to stay on the floor.

The other guy we got in the CP3 deal, Al-Farouq Aminu, we didn't even like enough to extend him his 4th year option on his rookie deal. He shows some stunning athleticism on occasion, but he just isn't very good. Between Gordon and Aminu, we obviously need help at the wing positions, more so than any other place on the floor.

With that in mind, we are going to take the best player left on the board. The New Orleans Pelicans select, Otto Porter, Small Forward from Georgetown.

We had Porter ranked 4th on our board, behind Oladipo, Noel, and McLemore. He does a little bit of everything, and we think he will be a nice compliment on the perimeter to EJ, if we can ever get him to stay healthy for more than a week. I like the ability and the youth of our core group of Gordon, Porter, Anderson, and Davis. The entire future of this franchise depends on Eric Gordon. We need him on the floor. We just don't have enough scoring without him.

P_George and the Sacramento Kings are now on the board.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 06-13-2013 at 09:06 AM.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Nice. The new Sacramento Kings general manager P_George is OTC.

It would really suck to skip anyone but we need to do at least 4 picks a day if we are to finish before the draft. Hopefully some of the picks are quick.

I'll be on most of the day for my Pistons pick. But I'll be offline as of 3pm (EST) for a looooong flight, so if it's not my turn by then, someone should pick for me. On a related note, if I haven't checked in again before the Pistons' second round picks, someone should do those for me too. I'll have minimal computer access for a week or so as of 3pm (EST) today. Sorry, something came up after I volunteered. But ready to pick most of the afternoon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    The front court is at least decent with the Brow, Ryan Anderson, and Sideshow Robin Lopez. Davis has a chance to be an elite defensive player, and has all the necessary ability to become a solid offensive player. He's very skilled for a big guy, and as he adds to his game, he could become the franchise player we've needed since Chris Paul demanded a trade. That trade, while necessary, created many new and different problems for us. Thanks to David Stern's "basketball reasons," we got the serious shaft in the deal. We essentially traded Chris Paul for Al-Farouq Aminu, and a maxed out Eric Gordon. I guess that's what we get for allowing David Stern to run our team. Sure, Gordon didn't have that contract when he came here, but what were we going to do, not keep the guy we traded the best point guard of a generation for? Talk about being put in between a rock, and a hard place.
    Hey, you also got Austin Rivers from that deal so no need to complain!
    To be fair, it still ended up a much better move than the Rockets/Lakers deal. Imagine, the Hornets could have Goran Dragic as their best player + a bunch of near-washed up veterans and essentially no cap flexibility. They'd be like the Suns. While the Lakers would have CP3, Kobe, Dwight and I wouldn't be surprised if they used the trade exception on someone like Ryan Anderson instead of Steve Nash in that situation.

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's where it gets interesting.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers Digest mock draft 2013 -- P_GEORGE OTC

It seems that the Kings management won't deliver again hehe.
    P_George has less than an hour. Anyone interested in being the new Kings GM in case he doesn't show up?
    If not, we'll auto pick but it would be more fun if someone made the pick.

It seems that the Kings management won't deliver again hehe.
    P_George has less than an hour. Anyone interested in being the new Kings GM in case he doesn't show up?
    If not, we'll auto pick but it would be more fun if someone made the pick.
    I'm already the Suns GM, but if he can't pick I will do it
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 06-13-2013 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    I'm already the Suns GM, butif he can't pick I will do it
    alright, if he doesn't show up till 9, pick for him.

As the Kings FO we feel we are certainly not lacking in talent with DeMarcus Cousins and (a re-signed) Tyreke Evans. We feel that as Cousins and Evans mature we can develop into a very good team as long as we surround them with a good supporting cast.

One member of that supporting cast that we feel confident in is Isaiah Thomas. though he may be small, we are very pleased with his production and feel he can improve even more because he is only 24. We feel confident with our PG, SG, and C positions moving forward. we also feel there is a very talented player that can solidify our PF position for many years to come

With the 7th pick in the 2013 NBA draft the Sacremento Kings select, Anthony Bennett, PF UNLV

We feel like Bennett is a very talented player and has the potential to become a star player in this league. if everyone develops right, we think we can have a big 3 if our own in DeMarcus Cousins, Tyreke Evans, And Anthony Bennett. We love the potential of an Isaiah Thomas and Anthony Bennett pick and roll and feel he can terrorize opposing defenses with his jump shot and his face up game. Though he may be a bit undersized we feel the NBA is moving away from the traditional big line-ups and teams are now going small and athletic. We truly feel we are acquiring a young, potential star in Bennett and we feel we have the potential to have on of the best PF-C combos in the NBA in Cousins and Bennett.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    As the Kings FO we feel we are certainly not lacking in talent with DeMarcus Cousins and (a re-signed) Tyreke Evans. We feel that as Cousins and Evans mature we can develop into a very good team as long as we surround them with a good supporting cast.

One member of that supporting cast that we feel confident in is Isaiah Thomas. though he may be small, we are very pleased with his production and feel he can improve even more because he is only 24. We feel confident with our PG, SG, and C positions moving forward. we also feel there is a very talented player that can solidify our PF position for many years to come

With the 7th pick in the 2013 NBA draft the Sacremento Kings select, Anthony Bennett, PF UNLV

We feel like Bennett is a very talented player and has the potential to become a star player in this league. if everyone develops right, we think we can have a big 3 if our own in DeMarcus Cousins, Tyreke Evans, And Anthony Bennett. We love the potential of an Isaiah Thomas and Anthony Bennett pick and roll and feel he can terrorize opposing defenses with his jump shot and his face up game. Though he may be a bit undersized we feel the NBA is moving away from the traditional big line-ups and teams are now going small and athletic. We truly feel we are acquiring a young, potential star in Bennett and we feel we have the potential to have on of the best PF-C combos in the NBA in Cousins and Bennett.
    He was already selected.

He was already selected.
    That'd be so awesome if it happened in the real NBA draft.

It's happened in about every fantasy football draft I've been a part of.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

He was already selected.
    Ahhhhhj that's a letdown , let me retype my whole draft thing

With the 7th pick in the 2013 NBA draft, the Sacramento Kings select Cody Zeller, PF/C, Indiana

Some people might view this as a reach, but I don't think this is a reach at all, Sacramento has a chance to solidify it's front court for years to come, Zeller has an excellent t mid-range game, and he is athletic enough to run a face up game and drive to the rim.

Zeller may not be NBA ready, he may need a couple of years to acclimate to the physical style of the NBA, but we are willing to let him develop into his full potential even if it takes him a year or two. We are not in win now mode, but we do hope to be there in the near future. We feel with this pick, if Zeller reaches his full potential he can develop into a Pau Gasoline esque player.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Btowncolt sent me his pick.

With the #8 pick in the draft, the Pistons select:

Michael Carter-Williams, the 6'6 point guard from Syracuse.

Btowncolt: "I like the Pistons backcourt talent with an actual playmaker."

------

I'll make my pick in a few hours. i stayed up to watch the game but i'm too tired for anything else right now
    Last edited by hackashaq; 06-13-2013 at 10:47 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to hackashaq For This Useful Post: