Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tim Tebow to sign with the Patriots

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tim Tebow to sign with the Patriots

Listening to people talk about how tired the are of the Tebow attention is just as tiring. If you're tired of the attention, then stop giving him attention. Pretty simple solution, IMHO. I really don't want to derail the thread, any further, because I honestly don't care about it in either direction.

" A,Β,..M,N,L,O,P,...F" Johanvil's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tebow's biggest chance to win a SB. Even as a 3rd choice QB.

comedy gold... classic Belichick. No matter what the question, there is an answer you expect.

http://www.patriots.com/news/article...1-87df6a78391a

"Anything we do is what we feel is in the best interests of the team...

We try to do what’s best for the team....

We’re going to try to get better as a football team, individually and collectively, and that’s what we’re going to do....

We’ll try to do what we think is best for our football team...

I think I’ve covered it...

Whatever that is, that’s what it is. Four weeks, it’s four weeks. A week of training camp is a week of training camp. A regular season game is a regular season game. It all adds up every day. You do the math, I don’t know....

That’s just the way it is."

Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 06-11-2013 at 04:58 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).
    I'm (maybe) back after being repetedly banned, merely for supporting a different NFL team than do certain forum moderators.

" A,Β,..M,N,L,O,P,...F" Johanvil's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best way to avoid the circus and getting your balls busted.

I have respect for the how the Patriots have been in the elite for over a decade, but it's not like every single thing Belichick touches turns to gold. Ocho Cino and Haynesworth didn't exact work out for them. Sure they were old and washed up, but unlike Tebow, they actually had NFL talent. I don't see Tebow doing anything of note with the Pats aside from a random play here or there.

It's truly amazing what impact the media has on things. There are 31 other guys fighting for the last roster spot on an NFL team, yet this guy gets the press. I really thought his NFL days were over. He's not an NFL QB and one doesn't learn a new position in the NFL. Not at this level. A lineman swapping line positions - sure. A 'QB' turning into something else ?? Nope. I'd say it's 50-50 AT BEST that he makes the opening day roster.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's truly amazing what impact the media has on things. There are 31 other guys fighting for the last roster spot on an NFL team, yet this guy gets the press. I really thought his NFL days were over. He's not an NFL QB and one doesn't learn a new position in the NFL. Not at this level. A lineman swapping line positions - sure. A 'QB' turning into something else ?? Nope. I'd say it's 50-50 AT BEST that he makes the opening day roster.
    I wouldn't say that. Michael Robinson was QB at PSU and now is one of the better FBs in the NFL. Randel El went from QB to WR.

Now if Tebow was a traditional type QB, then sure he probably couldn't do it. But his strength has always been his running.

I'd say it's a less than 50-50 chance he makes the roster, but even then I don't see the downside.

-Zero guaranteed money. Yes, not one penny. Plus a low salary if he sticks.
    -No assets used to sign him, unlike the other past "gambles" such as Ocho.

3rd quarterbacks do not normally make the Pats' 53 man roster, so if Tebow makes it then you will have to assume that either 1) he is doing something else well like special teams, or 2) he somehow is showing enough at QB to consider the thought of moving Mallett in a trade, since Mallett is entering the last year of his contract and would be unlikely to accept a new deal a year from now to back up Brady for 3(?) more years.

It will be interesting to see if either Tebow or Mallett do much in preseason games, if Tebow lasts until August. I'd be stunned if Mallett is not still #2. He has one of the strongest arms to ever play the game and doesn't have a Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf brain.

The simple reason is that BB thought Tebow is better than the previous 3rd stringer Mike Kafka or any other free agent QB out there. That's of course debatable, but the free agent QB list is so thin that the Bears gave J Russell a tryout!
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 06-12-2013 at 12:49 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).
    I'm (maybe) back after being repetedly banned, merely for supporting a different NFL team than do certain forum moderators.

Is he better than Kafka? Kafka threw some good passes in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post

I don't expect him to make the 53 man roster, but if he does it will be as a 3rd QB / versatility guy. That second part is important, since they usually carry just 2 QBs.
    I think New England was the best plaec for him to land. As much as his supporters profess how humble and stuff he is he really loves the media attention just as much as the media loves to cover him. Under BB, he will shut that all down real quick and we saw how much time he got compared to the fanfare the Jets rolled out for him.

If Tebow can let go of his ego and accept being used as a utility player like Troy Brown I think he will make the 53 man roster. Having Tebow out there with Brady in the redzone or goallline deifnaely would open things up more. Sure in the other 60 yards of the field he is about useless, but within the redzone can be a pretty good weapon. If he cannot catch on in NE then he is done in this league.

Unfortunately, I watched about 5 minutes of the Pats and Eagles last nite. I saw the carnage that was Tebow's debut with the Patriots.

Pass - incomplete.
    Pass - incomplete.
    Sacked.

His 2 passes were significantly off target and he just looked lost when he got sacked. He wound up going 4-12, 55 yards. I'm having doubts that he's on the opening day roster.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    He wound up going 4-12, 55 yards. I'm having doubts that he's on the opening day roster.
    Plus he played the last series of the first half and all of the second half, since Mallett suffered a blow to the head.

Ugly doesn't begin to describe his passing ability

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-to-be-around/

Kraft: Im rooting for Tebow, hes a joy to be around

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 27, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT

Tim Tebow, Robert KraftAP
    Patriots owner Robert Kraft has made no secret that hes a big fan of quarterback Tim Tebow. And with final roster cuts approaching, Kraft is rooting for Tebow to make his team.

Kraft told reporters today that hes in Tebows corner and would love to be signing paychecks for Tebow this season.

Im rooting for him big-time. Hes been real joy to have around. I see why he has such a strong national following, Kraft said, via Mike Reiss ‏of ESPNBoston.com.

Kraft added, however, that hes not the one who will decide whether Tebow is a Patriot this season. That job falls to head coach Bill Belichick, and Kraft said he trusts Belichick unconditionally.

He has a pretty good record doing it, Kraft said.

For Belichick, the decision will ultimately come down to whether he wants two quarterbacks or three on this years 53-man roster. If its two, the two will be Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett. If its three, Tebow gets the spot. Kraft has a rooting interest, but hes not going to tell Belichick what to do

Belichick usually keeps just two quarterbacks, right? Tebow barely counts as half of one. No way he stays on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Belichick usually keeps just two quarterbacks, right? Tebow barely counts as half of one. No way he stays on the roster.
    Yeah stranger things have happened doesn't help that Kraft wants him around. I think its for PR purposes to detract from Aaron Hernandez I mean nobody asks about him with Tebow around.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Yeah stranger things have happened doesn't help that Kraft wants him around. I think its for PR purposes to detract from Aaron Hernandez I mean nobody asks about him with Tebow around.
    He was actually signed before the Aaronthal situation erupted, but I suppose he does offer a tiny tiny PR benefit.

True but at least it would explain why Kraft would speak up about wanting him around now. But hey if the Pats want to get rid of a productive player just to keep him I'm all for it.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Tebow Survives Cut to 75.

I'm actually wondering if Belichick looked at the success of the pistol formation last year and thought it would be good to have a quarterback who can run that offense, in certain situations. Whether he'll still think Tebow can be the guy to do that eventually at the end of the preseason I don't know.

He had to survive to play most of preseason game 4. You don't want Brady or even Mallett to get hurt.

Saturday is reality day, though.

As Solozzo pointed out, TT was signed a week before the Hernandez murder so it wasn't PR-related

This will be true comedy if he plays most of preseason 4. Is Belichick trying to help him or humiliate him?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He had to survive to play most of preseason game 4. You don't want Brady or even Mallett to get hurt.

Saturday is reality day, though.

As Solozzo pointed out, TT was signed a week before the Hernandez murder so it wasn't PR-related
    I read a theory that he was signed originally with the hope that he could help keep Hernandez in line as was done at Florida.

But yes, no way they waste a roster spot on him now.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

In case anyone wants a good laugh it will be Tim Tebow vs Curtis Painter in the 2nd half

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Relatively speaking he was much much better tonight.

It was still mostly reeking, chunky vomit beyond 3 or so good plays, but that was enormously better than I expected. It was not the reeking, chunky projectile vomit coupled with explosive diarrhea we have had in the past from TT.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Relatively speaking he was much much better tonight.

It was still mostly reeking, chunky vomit beyond 3 or so good plays, but that was enormously better than I expected. It was not the reeking, chunky projectile vomit coupled with explosive diarrhea we have had in the past from TT.
    I assume that most of his playing time was against third string Giants players?

If he gets any clock against real players this season, he will revert back to his zero passer rating quarterbacking.

Why does something tell me he will make the team?