Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tim Tebow to sign with the Patriots

Mood

Default Tim Tebow to sign with the Patriots

At first I thought it must be April Fools Day, but no...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ign-tim-tebow/

Presumably, I am guessing, for a shot at a non QB role.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tim Tebow to sign with the Patriots

Because the Patriots don't already get enough media attention...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It makes sense being that the guy who made Tebow a 1st round draft pick, Josh McDaniels, is the OC there.

That said, I'm just going to go ahead and stop watching ESPN now. I'm guessing they'll film his plane landing, the car taking him from the airport to the practice facility, etc. just like they did with Favre a few years back.

And my guess is the opening topic on First Take (the worst show on TV) tomorrow: What does the Tim Tebow signing do for the Patriots Super Bowl hopes?

Answer: Nothing. Move on.

But they'll devote hours and hours to it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It makes sense being that the guy who made Tebow a 1st round draft pick, Josh McDaniels, is the OC there.

That said, I'm just going to go ahead and stop watching ESPN now. I'm guessing they'll film his plane landing, the car taking him from the airport to the practice facility, etc. just like they did with Favre a few years back.
    And Peyton. But at least those two actually earned the attention.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post

And my guess is the opening topic on First Take (the worst show on TV) tomorrow: What does the Tim Tebow signing do for the Patriots Super Bowl hopes?

Answer: Nothing. Move on.

But they'll devote hours and hours to it.
    I never thought I'd say this but I rather watch the Heat coverage than Tebow(at least its basketball related and unlike Tebow the Heat are actually relevant)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cool.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

my lord.... this is why I dont watch sportscenter anymore....this will be all they talk about until the season starts

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:

Mood

According to sources, the Patriots have plans for Tebow at the........

wait for it................

Tight End Position.

Though to make room for him on the 90 man roster they cut their 3rd string QB. I am sure that this will get sorted out. Camp arm at QB, or major TE project.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!).

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I never thought I'd say this but I rather watch the Heat coverage than Tebow(at least its basketball related and unlike Tebow the Heat are actually relevant)
    I agree with you.

However, if Lebron, Tebow, Tiger, Favre, and Kobe ended up in the same room together, ESPN would start a channel dedicated to re-airing that meeting over and over and over and over.
    Last edited by TheRyanExpress; 06-10-2013 at 05:53 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

Cool! The NFL season is just more interesting with Tebow playing. The Jets screwed him over so hopefully he finds a niche in NE.

If I were the Patriots, I wouldn't allow Tebow to conduct any interviews.
    #DBAP

I feel sort of bad for Tebow. Seems like a nice, hard working dude. I don't understand the media's obsession with him, but I don't understand people that dislike him because of it. Hope it works out for him.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to righteouscool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    I feel sort of bad for Tebow. Seems like a nice, hard working dude. I don't understand the media's obsession with him, but I don't understand people that dislike him because of it. Hope it works out for him.
    He was a media whore before he was even a pro. Even did a superbowl commercial.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

19. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    I find it hard to believe anyone feels sorry for Tim Tebow
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    If I were the Patriots, I wouldn't allow Tebow to conduct any interviews.
    He will do the same amount as other camp fodder competing for a backup or special teams role. No presser, no interviews, no appearances or than team events, no twitter, no nothing. This isn't the Jets where they embraced the circus. It's business. And does anyone think there is a QB controversy?

A favor may be involved, as BB has often had a soft spot, for example, for Navy or Army guys as camp invites. Rarely do they stick though. Maybe he respects the guy?

They have also signed college wrestlers, rugby players, and lacrosse players if they had intriguing physical skills. Sometimes there's a role for them, sometimes there is not

starting qb, calling it.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    Cool! The NFL season is just more interesting with Tebow playing. The Jets screwed him over so hopefully he finds a niche in NE.
    How is it more interesting? The attention he gets is just sickening given his inability to play his position on a consistent basis. The attention this signing is getting is laughable.

I feel bad for the Pats fans that have to deal with the Tebow fans when they troll their message boards saying he should start.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

The fact the Jags didn't sign Tebow makes me believe the new owner wants to move the franchise to Los Angeles. Tebow playing in Florida equals ticket sales.

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post
    How is it more interesting? The attention he gets is just sickening given his inability to play his position on a consistent basis. The attention this signing is getting is laughable.

I feel bad for the Pats fans that have to deal with the Tebow fans when they troll their message boards saying he should start.
    Exactly! This guy was a 2nd string QB last year, and he'll most likely be a 3rd stringer this year. When my Rams re-signed Kellen Clemens as their 3rd stringer, ESPN didn't send the NFL Live crew out to Rams Park.

I get that Tebow has a huge following of fans, mostly because of either his beliefs or what he did at Florida. That drives ratings, of course. But ESPN's journalistic 'credibility' just goes down the tubes when it comes to the guy. Other media outlets report on it, but ESPN takes it to an entirely different level.

Kudos to sticking to his beliefs and being the real deal in that department, but he's a crappy QB.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by thewholefnshow31 View Post

What really happened was their message boards were flooded with Tebow haters assuring everyone that the Tebow fans would be coming, yet they never showed up, since not even his biggest fans would be stupid enough to suggest that he should take a meaningful snap ahead of Tom Brady.

Tebow was (in the coach's opinion) a training camp upgrade over 3rd string QB Mike Kafka on the 90 man camp roster, likely due to athletic ability that might permit him to contribute in other areas.

I don't expect him to make the 53 man roster, but if he does it will be as a 3rd QB / versatility guy. That second part is important, since they usually carry just 2 QBs.

Some recent examples of positional versatility:

Aaron Hernandez has played 139 snaps at running back since joining the Patriots after having never played the position before in college.
    Julian Edelman was drafted as a WR after being a college QB. Due to injuries he played 88 snaps as a defensive back in 2011.
    Linebacker Mike Vrabel had 10 career touchdowns as a tight end, a position he had never played before.
    WR Troy Brown became a starter at defensive back on a Super Bowl winning team, due to injuries.
    They have signed or drafted rugby players, college wrestlers, and college lacrosse players.

I don't think it's a gimmick but I also think it's just giving a guy a shot to prove whether or not he can contribute to a system that has been pretty accommodating of players whose skills don't necessarily match a typical formula for NFL success.

Mood

I was wondering why Bellicheat started trying to clear the air about Tebow after he was quoted as saying he "hated" him as an NFL player. Kind of hard to sign a guy when you "hate" his skill set.

I agree that New England is a good landing spot for him. If they can't find a way to use him, no one can, and he knows from day one there's no way he's getting that QB job as long as Brady is breathing.
    Last edited by travmil; 06-11-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Mood

new theory- let's call it the ankle weight theory.

The entirely new WR corps in NE works with Tebow in practice. Due to his wildly erratic throws, they all develop incredible hands and a 25 foot catch radius.

Then Brady steps in and starts dropping bullet passes right on their fingertips. The game has then become easy!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

The good news for the rest of us is that New England will do as good a job as possible at minimizing the Tebow circus. Also, if he can't become an adequate football player with one of the greatest franchises in the NFL, then it should be clear to everyone that the guy just isn't NFL quality. However, the downside is that you will still have people still clinging to the idea that he can be a big time quarterback in this league.

I've never understood coming into a thread plainly about Tim Tebow, only to ***** about all the attention Tebow gets.

On point though, if there's any team in the NFL that could handle Tebow-mania and actually make it productive for the team, it's NE.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    I've never understood coming into a thread plainly about Tim Tebow, only to ***** about all the attention Tebow gets.
    Tim Tebow is nothing without the attention. That is the story right there. I actually like a lot of ESPN's NFL coverage and find it to be superior to their NBA coverage, but the Tebow and Jets hype last year was absolutely nauseating to listen to. The Tebow hype is part of the modern NFL landscape and it's certainly worth complaining about.

Favre and Manning hype is one thing because those two guys are two of the greatest ever. But Amhad Bradshaw will likely have far more impact on the Colts this season than Tebow will for the Pats, yet his signing today will get about 0.000001% of the attention that Tebow gets.