Thread: As I watched the Spurs game...

Default As I watched the Spurs game...

... I couldn't help but be frustrated by our lack of rebounding. IMHO, that was the key to the game. Everything else was a result of that major failing.

The answer was obvious, get Edwards in there....

OK, so I am not serious. What I am seriously questioning is the wisdom of holding onto Edwards when this team needs players that can contribute now if called upon. This team is obviously in their championship window BUT teams around them and Artest has seen fit to squeeze us back.

Having players like Edwards, and I might as well say it... Bender... are part of the problem. ...Not part of the solution. It doesn't matter how much 'potential' Bender has if he can't stay healthy nor does it matter a whole lot if he really has no place on the team where we need him. Worse, Edwards doesn't even really have potential.

IMHO we don't have the luxury of 'waiting'. I think we are in a similar position to Detroit last year at this time when it was clear they were playing for something less than the championship (They were not going to beat the Pacers) UNLESS they made a move. They would be close but no cigar. They made that move.

JO is on a roll and IMHO you take advantage of that now and not assume we have lots of time to let the pieces fall into place. We seemingly have a focused team but IMHO we are lacking the tools to get to the championship round much less win it unless the brass get active.

...or not...
    Bball

XXSASSXX31

Default Re: As I watched the Spurs game...

BBALL,

Please note, we are still playing without Stephen Jackson who can be an allstar in this league...Bender (I know he is injured all the time, but he will have the chance to redeem himself this year), and even Pollard....

Stern has really screwed us...with a Ron and S. JAX no one can stop us in this league...I mean no one...we don't need any trades, we just need to keep our players and get healthy...if we have any chance of a championship Bender must really step it up and take Ron's role this season as a very strong contributor....after seeing games like this, you realize how important Ron is for this team and how he will be a Pacer and help us win a championship....(there is still a chance he can come back by the end of the season)....if not, Bender really needs to show his game.

Gee, maybe Ron Artest does make a difference.

We need a trade for what? Another center who would have rebounded better last night? A power forward who will rebound better than JO and score as well? Good luck in finding someone better than what we have.

A small forward? Well, we do suck at small forward right now. No scoring at the position and not much of anything else, especially rebounding. But show me a trade that will make us better in that area over what we will have when Stephen Jackson and Jon Bender return.

Reggie woke up offensively, a little, late in the game. But last night, even with Gino not contributing his normal, shooting guard is not a strength for us. Our future best lineup, in my mind, still has S Jack starting at shooting guard. and someone else at small forward. So read what you want in that, but until Ron Artest returns or someone somehow emerges to take his place, this team will be incomplete.

And, by the way, you are correct. Blaming John Edwards and Jon Bender for the current state of the team is a sign of frustration and does nothing to make things better.

\

The Spurs game was very telling. Keep in mind the Spurs are the best team in the NBA.

bball, I agree rebounding was the biggest factor, although the pacers defense wasn't much better, and the offense was too dependent upon J.O. Oh and too many missed free throws in the second half.

I really hesitate to bring this up. A lineup of Tinsley, Reggie, Freddie, J.O and Jeff, is not going to beat any good teams on the road. It is just too small, and not good enough defensively or rebounding.

A year ago, there was a lot of discussion that J.O and Jeff at the big postions would not work because they are too small, not in height, but in muscle and in bulk. I argued that it would work and I believe it did, but that was when Artest or Harrington were the small forwards, two very physical and big small forwards. Well now both are gone and the question is can Jackson make the difference. We'll see.

Jackson now becomes an extremely important player, he needs to be the second best offensive player without question. Because J.O is going to be worn down in another week if he has to carry such a load as he does right now.

As far as trades, Sure if someone wants to offer the Pacers a similar trade that the Pistons made last Feb, but I don't see that happening.

I don't question the Pacers effort last night, but it was frustrating to watch that game. Doug Collins broke the game down very well. When the pacers were hitting shots they were in the game, but as soon as they missed a couple of shots, the Spurs pulled away. In other words the Pacers defense had no control was over the game, none. And that is extremely frustrating to me. Last season the Pacers defense
    controlled most games. Right now the defense is not capable of doing that and I don't know if Jax will make the difference or not.

Regarding trades, the Pistons had some expiring contracts. We have zip. If we trade with anyone to get quality we will be trading quality.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

I think you do know the answer to that, UB! And I aggree with you on that. Someone made a good point that even if SJax can fill the SF position as well as Ron could which I doubt, I think he can do it better than "OK", but not nearly as good as Ron would, EVEn than we would have a problem at SG or do some people here still see Freddie as a viable starter (because I don't, I see him as a GOOD SG back up)?

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

This has been said before, but I must repeat it now. The Pacers need a both Artest and Jackson in the lineup. That is the team the Pacers built for this season.

here are the embarassing rebounding totals for the Pacers point guard, Shooting guard and small forwards.

Reggie 37 minutes 2 rebounds
    Tinsley 43 minutes 2 rebounds
    Fred Jones 32 minutes 1 rebound
    Curry 15 minutes 0 rebounds.

Well, I know it was depressing to watch the horrible job we did on rebounding, but we have something to look forward to. If I remember correctly SJax was a decent rebounder. When he played early in the season he was able to get inside and grab some rebounds. Lets hope he comes back ready to prove something, because we seriously need someone at the 3.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sixthman
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Regarding trades, the Pistons had some expiring contracts. We have zip. If we trade with anyone to get quality we will be trading quality.

I think the play of some of our reserves back in NOvember/early December has made them very tradeable. Look at what JJ was doing then, you don't thaink that improved his value? We have some assests that we can afford to trade if it upgrades our rebounding or defense. IMO that is.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by XXSASSXX31
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if we have any chance of a championship Bender must really step it up and take Ron's role this season as a very strong contributor
    Oh man I hope you are wrong because ig we are relying on Bender to get us a title I can tell you right now we will never get one. Seriously if he is the key the lock will never open.

Several of you have pointed out that we got 1 rebound from the sf position last night and that was Freddie the shortest guy who got any meaningfully minutes. I have a solution!! Play James Jones he is a better defender than Curry and he is a better rebounder than Curry. So what if the rest of the league "solved" him on offense how much did Curry score? How many rebounds did he get? How much did the man he was guard him score? It was bad let me tell you that.