Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

2013 NBA draft analysis #1: Gorgui Dieng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 NBA draft analysis #1: Gorgui Dieng

Hello again everyone, and welcome to the first of many player profiles and previews for the 2013 NBA draft. As most of you know, I've done these previews for a few years now for PacersDigest, and you can find all of those profiles in the archives of this site. For all of those who recall my process this will be old hat, but for those of you who don't know, here are my methods in putting these profiles together:

1. I use only video from actual games. I don't use "youtube" clips or other highlighted packages.
    2. Obviously, I have no access to team interviews conducted, or personality tests given, or any inside information from the Pacers.
    3. I preview only players I have tape of to view, so I possibly won't be doing any previews of foreign players this year ( I am working on getting tape on one particular player), nor will I be doing any profiles of anyone else I couldn't obtain actual game footage of.
    4. These profiles are totally "Pacer-Centric", so I won't publish any full length profiles of players we would seemingly have no possibility of obtaining, like Nerlens Noel or Victor Oladipo.

You can use your own judgment on whether you trust my scouting reports or not, obviously coaches and evaluators disagree about players all of the time and this will be no different. I've been wrong before just like everyone else has been, but I do take pride in the fact that I haven't been very often. It is very likely that I will upset some of you when I criticize a particular player you may think highly of.

With that said, I hope you enjoy these as we begin the draft process over the next few weeks!

First up under the Tbird microscope in 2013 is the National champion big man from the University of Louisville, Gorgui Dieng.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gorgui Dieng clearly has the size requirements to play the "5" position in today's NBA. Measuring out at 6'11, Dieng measured a wingspan of 7'3 1/2" at the NBA combine, and weighed in at 230lbs. This is clearly big enough to play center in the current NBA climate, and many center starved teams will be taking a strong look at his talents as we near draft night.For us, I will have some other things to say about his potential role as I see it later in this article. Born on January 18, 1990, Dieng will turn 24 before next season's All Star Break, so he is one of the oldest players I have ever done a profile for. Having said that, his basketball experience is still relatively low, as he only began playing the game at the age of 17, continuing a long line of big men from Senegal who have begun playing the game later in life.

When evaluating Dieng, you must start with his prodigious talents at the defensive end.

Dieng was a true rim protector at the collegiate level, and probably nowhere in the league is that skill valued as highly as we do here with the Pacers. One of the nation's best shotblockers, Dieng blocked right around 3 blocks per game as he played centerfield for a Louisville defensive scheme that pressured the ball all over the floor, and allowed Dieng to clean up their messes. In the Louisville 2-3 zone, Dieng played exactly where you would expect him to: right in the back-middle, surveying the offense and communicating with his teammates.

Despite the overall shotblocking numbers, I would not categorize Dieng as an "elite" shotblocker, but one rung below that. Elite shotblockers do 3 things in my scouting judgment: the block shots taken BY THEIR OWN MAN (Dieng got most of his as a weakside defender), they can block shots WITH BOTH HANDS (Dieng almost always blocked shots with his right hand, rarely his left) and the almost always block the shot but KEEP IT INBOUNDS (Dieng did do this pretty well). So, I wouldn't rate his as "elite" as a shotblocker, but he is very very good.

I would rate him as near elite as an overall post defender however.

Dieng is a beast at his size of being able to move his feet in a stance at his size. As a ballscreen defender, Louisville was able to "hedge" hard, "blitz", or "switch" with Dieng, even if that meant Dieng had to guard a ballhandler in open space. Now, I don't think Dieng will be able to switch onto Russell Westbrook or LeBron James or anything, but on a vast majority of NBA ballhandlers I think you would be ok having that option in your coaching bag of tricks if Dieng is on your roster. Dieng has great balance, moves his feet well, doesn't stand up in his second or 3rd slide, and has a very high defensive motor.

Dieng is a battler defensively in the low post. While often top level big guys will allow you to catch inside before they guard you, Dieng does not. He can front you with his excellent balance and nimble feet, and he isn't shy about being physical with you if you don't seal him off strongly. He is relentless inside in denying you the basketball if that is the scheme his team is employing, and will fight you for an entire possession no matter how many times the ball was reversed by the offense......this is a rare big man skill, as most bigs will fight once or twice but eventually give in and cede position, especially as they tire later in the game or possession.

I give the Louisville program a ton of credit here, because no team in the country does more cardio work and conditioning than do the Cardinals of Rick Pitino. Clearly, the athleticism gains and cardio/balance work done with Dieng over his college career improved him greatly, and credit the player himself for buying into all of the hard work the Louisville trainers no doubt put him through. Dieng was not a very good player when he arrived in Louisville, and he leaves a defensive beast and soon to be a rich man.

As a help defender, Dieng was the best defensive big man in the country. I already mentioned his superior footwork in sliding vs the dribbler, while in ballscreen help. What I didn't mention was his ability to come off of his own man and get steals, which he did quite often when teams tried to post up other people not guarded by Dieng. Now, occasionally he would gamble too much and not get there, which would leave his own man right by the rim unguarded, but for the most part Dieng took smart gambles that paid off for his team. The impressive thing to me was just the athleticism and balance at his size needed to be able to do that in the first place....not many men could athletically at his size make those kind of plays.

And let's not forget his length. With a giant wing span of 7'3 1/2 and a high motor, Dieng was a superior contestor of shots, particularly on the perimeter and mid post area. I loved his activity level and ability to get off the ground with the shooter, and even though he didn't block a ton of shots in this manner, he sure did alter a ton of shots as people had to change their releases just to shoot over him.

Dieng however does have defensive weaknesses, like most players do. First and foremost, he lacks strength with his lower base. This is much much more of a problem for him on the offensive end as I'll discuss below, but it still can be an issue. He compensates most of the time by being in great shape, fighting harder, and using his balance and quickness.....but occasionally, a really talented bigger player can just bury him behind them, then use leverage and strength to bully him under the rim. Dieng has to gain 20lbs somehow and do it in his lower core/hips/legs to reach his full potential.

And because he is such a prolific shotblocker and great help defender, Dieng will sometimes bite on shotfakes inside too often. Very capable most times of being able to just stay solid and contest the low post shot, occasionally a clever post guy can get Dieng into the air. That tendency, and a non stop motor and effort, occasionally gets Dieng in foul difficulty when he tries to do too much rather than just stay solid.

Lastly, due again his overall style of play, Dieng will often help too much and too often when there is no need, leaving him out of rebounding position and allowing stronger players to seal him off and/or get behind him.

Despite the defensive flaws I've pointed out however, Dieng clearly is an above average NBA defender with potential to fix the few flaws he has with greater lower body strength training and experience. Big men who can defend are highly highly valued.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rebounding to me is a great thing to study as a scout.

Anyone can look at the raw numbers....in this case Dieng averaged 9.4 rebounds in college in approx 31 minutes, which is better than the usual "rebound every 4 minutes played" standard I usually look at first 4 a big man. While I don't have any numbers to back up this claim at the moment, I think this number is inflated some by the quick pace that Louisville played, and by the fact that as the back man in their press, he often would have been the ONLY rebounder back for them if someone actually did break their pressure and try to score. Much like I thought Roy Hibbert's college rebound numbers were DEFLATED by the slow pace and role he played offensively for Georgetown years ago, I suspect that Dieng's are somewhat INFLATED.

That's not to say that I view Dieng as a bad rebounder, not at all........like the shotblocking earlier in this report, I would rank him a notch or 2 below "elite" however.

Dieng is more of a positional rebounder, in that he tends to hold his ground then react to where the ball goes instead of moving for it in the air. He rarely gets rebounds above the rim, instead most of his board work is done at or below the rim. He has good hands and gets all the rebounds he should get that are in his area, but rarely will he fly out of nowhere and get a rebound OUTSIDE HIS AREA.....like the elite rebounders will. He rebounds well right in front of the rim in the lane area, but isn't going to fly from one side of the lane to the other to get a board, nor do I see him chasing down a rebound from the "pocket" area to the short corner like the elite league leading rebound guys do. Those attributes, and the fact that he is "rangy" on defense means that to me, for his size, I think he is only an average defensive rebounding 5 man going forward. There will be a few bigs also who are extremely strong with their lower bodies that will be able to root him under the rim as well, again, adding the lower body strength and core work over the next few years will be big for him once he gets to the NBA.

His offensive rebounding skills to me are fascinating to talk about. At Louisville, their offensive rebounders are taught to THROW THE BALL BACK OUT for 3 point shooters almost 100% of the time, instead of trying to score themselves. The basketball sabermetrics guys all believe in this, as percentages show that the single most accurate 3 point shots are taken on offensive rebound kickouts. These numbers are indisputable....defenses are scrambled and out of position, and shooters can catch the ball on an "inside to out" pass with their feet set and shoulders square to the rim. I don't know the college percentage, but I believe that 3 point percentages are around 8%-12% better after an offensive rebound than in any other circumstance shooting the 3.....a percentage Rick Pitino surely knows and was really the first to actively figure out. Coach K at Duke is also a big proponent of this as well

However, the unintended consequence of wanting your bigs to constantly work hard for a rebound and then throw it back out to someone else is THAT YOUR BIGS QUIT TRYING TO HIT THE GLASS AS HARD SOMETIMES. I am sure they don't consciously do that, and I have no numbers to back it up, but my eyes tell me that it is true. And what I also seem to see is guys "tipping" a lot of balls more often in places like this than I see in other programs, getting their hands on balls but not really controlling them either.

Dieng lacks the power to go up super strong after a rebound and finish it with authority anyway, so having him throw it back out for a wide open college 3 point shot was no doubt the "sabermetrically" smart thing to do.....still, I wonder if his high motor would have gotten him more offensive rebounds if it wasn't such a big deal at Louisville to throw the ball back out immediately. It is a question that I am sure the Pacers number cruchers and stat analysis people are studying.

Overall, I project Dieng to be around the NBA Center average to slightly above in terms of rebounding. With greater strength in his lower body and his high motor I do think he can eventually be above the norm, and I do think he can be an excellent outlet passer for a team that is oriented to run a lot, or who has an extremely potent guard who likes push the ball....however, at this moment that is not the style for the Indiana Pacers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offensively, I think Dieng is once again a fascinating player with lots of potential, albeit with one major weakness and a couple of minor ones.

First, the strengths:

Dieng is a really really high quality passer for a big man, much like Roy Hibbert was at Georgetown. In particularly, Dieng was a master of playing the high post for the Cardinals, playing there alot vs the myriad of zones the Cardinals faced this season. Dieng was able to make every pass you would want from the high post area.....he could get low and feed the low post on his side with the bounce, he could pass to the deep corners from there, and he could dribble once across the high post to get angles. He was really good at using his dribble even, and has some skill in making one or two dribble attack moves from the foul line/elbow areas. He has poise, and keeps the ball high. And even better, when he does pass the ball he hits shooters in the "pocket", instead of always throwing it too high or too low (like almost all of our current Pacers do from time to time).

While he didn't take very many attempts, the shots he did take as jump shots looked really good to me. His release was high, he looked poised in and confident in taking it, and it had good arc and good spin. I project Dieng to be a very effective high post to mid post/elbow area offensive player, though he was anchored to the block or was ballscreen setting most of the time in college. I would hope that, if I was on the staff of the team that drafted Dieng, that we could develop him into a guy who could make the baseline 15-18 foot jumper down the road, and possibly even stretch him beyond that range as he nears his 30's. I think he can clearly do that, he just didn't get to take that shot in the Louisville system.

As a low post "anchor" type player is where Dieng has major defenciencies currently. Basically, Dieng cannot post up with his back to the basket and score right now at anything near a high percentage of the time. His footwork with his back to the basket is REALLY BAD, BUT I BELIEVE HE CAN BE COACHED UP IN THIS AREA FAIRLY EASILY.

Dieng's problem is all about his first step with his lead foot.....or even better, where his lead foot is PRIOR to him catching the ball. Dieng's inexperience shows here to me, as he is really bad about not using his lower body/footwork TO GET LEVERAGE. His first step is usually a shuffle sideways, going nowhere, which gets him too upright in the post. Instead, Dieng needs to get his lead foot " OIL DRILLING" to the midpoint right between the defenders feet. Essentially, he needs to drop step his lead foot right into the "breadbasket" of the defender, so he can get leverage and throw his shoulder into the defense, then spin off of the contact.

IF he could learn to catch the post pass with his foot already between the feet of the defender, then he could easily face up and develop some counter moves off of that, such as a nice little fadeaway or even a drop step baseline into a jump hook. Perhaps no players in history had better post footwork than Mark Aguirre, Charles Barkley, and Akeem Olajuwon, and they all were masters at catching the ball with their feet in this type of position. Defensively Dieng is great at the dance steps of not allowing people to do that to him....but he needs to learn the dance steps inside to do it to others.

Obviously, he needs to add lower body strength in this regard too, but I think his low post problems are more lack of footwork being taught to him than a lack of raw power. I think it will be tough on him to ever post up guys bigger/stronger than he is, but I do believe that with time and good coaching he will be able to post up mismatches in the paint......and I do believe he can be taught back to the basket skills pretty quickly once the pro development guys get to work with him day after day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dieng as a potential screener, I view him as above average in some areas of the floor, and below average in others.

-Along the baseline for shooters, I think he will be really really good. He is strong and willing and has good balance.
    -As a downscreener from the elbows to wing areas away from the ball, I think he will be outstanding, because he has good speed and size and a high motor.
    -As a guy running up from somewhere to set a ballscreen (which is much more common in the NBA than in college) I think will be ok in time as a pick/pop guy, and really good as a guy you can hit in the mid post area.....but he isnt going to be a guy you can lob it up to at the rim for dunks, like a Blake Griffin or Tyson Chandler in his prime. And I dont see alot of value in having him set side/screen rolls yet, but if he develops that face up game from that area of the floor then that could change.

I think when you talk Indiana Pacers drafts and team philosophy, that you must talk character as well. Indiana is full of high character guys.... Granger, West, Hill, Hibbert, and George are all well thought of around the league as super high character guys, and so were recent draftees Tyler Hansborough, Orlando Johnson, and Miles Plumlee.

Dieng is apparently of that same ilk as well. Coming over from Senegal, Dieng didnt even begin playing the game until age 17. Growing up in the poorest of conditions, Dieng has been mentored by DeSagna Diop, another big man who played in the league a long time (although not well). Due to this, Dieng should have a firm grasp of what the NBA is like and what he can expect. He seems to be a well liked and well grounded teammate in college, and with hsi college coach sitting behind our bench some in the playoffs, I am sure our staff and personnel department will have a firm idea of the type of man and player that Dieng is and can be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what do we have in Gorgui Dieng?

In the worst case scenario, I think Dieng is a rim protecting, high character defensive minded backup center that provides defensive depth that is extremely valuable. We all saw how much worse our defense is when Roy Hibbert is out of the game, Dieng can solve that problem for teams by eventually being anear elite inside defender of his own. A nice back up center for cheap money for about 20 minutes a game....that is the worst case scenario in my view, and I think that is how 90% of the scouts and teams will view him.

HOWEVER, I HAVE A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT VIEW OF DIENG THAN MOST, IN TERMS OF HIS POTENTIAL.

This will be somewhat controversial, but I view Dieng as a really big "power 4" man more than a "5" if he is chosen by us. Granted, those of you who know me know that I have been looking for us to get an elusive "player X" (my term for a man who can play WITH Hibbert and ALONGSIDE Hibbert at the same time) for a long time.

I believe Dieng can develop into a player who can play beside Roy Hibbert on both ends of the floor SOME of the time, AND provide us with 16 minutes or so of backup center play....a key cog into a powerful potential 3 man inside rotation. To me, his ability to guard on the perimeter, his balance in moving his feet, his length, and his high motor gives him a chance to guard at a high level almost all "4" men in the league, and it gives him a clear size advantage to play inside offensively on the block some once he is taught how to play there better.

Offensively, I view his strengths to be very complementary of Roy Hibbert potentially. I think Dieng can make the the high post a real weapon for himself, as I love his ability to shoot that jump shot over smaller defenders and the ability he possesses to play high/low power post basketball with Hibbert long term. Our high/low game is such a weapon for us, but it died offensively whenever we subbed this year....I think Dieng can make that his offensive home early on and be a real weapon as a passer for us when either Hibbert or West is out of the game. (Obviously I assume West will return).

Worst case in drafting Dieng, you can get a backup center really cheap, develop him for a year behind Mahimni, then dump Mahimni to save cap space to a needy back up center type team next summer.

But my best case is I think very on point, and I believe in Dieng's ability to play the 4 position alongside Hibbert 15-18 minutes per game.....which is why I rate him higher than most draft evaluators probably do. If I were in charge on draft night, Dieng would be extremely high on my Pacers draft board. I think he fits extremely well on our roster for what we need going forward......on the other hand, probably a high quality young wing who can score and some sort of point guard are higher priorities. You'll have to wait until all the draft previews are complete before you get my official recommendation, but I can tell you that I am extremely high on Gorgui Dieng for our particular style and team philosophy.

Sadly for me, I don't think Dieng will actually make it to us on draft night. I view the Hawks as major players for Dieng, as well as the Chicago Bulls at pick #20. I even view Oklahoma City as a possibility. My guess is that Dieng is an Atlanta Hawk on draft night, but I have been wrong before.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Past NBA comparison: John Salley
    Current NBA comparison: Larry Sanders

Tbird

Re: 2013 NBA draft analysis #1: Gorgui Dieng

It's that time already, thanks Tbird. Always helpful!!

Comment

Oh goody, our birdman is back!
      "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG" - Carol "The Walking Dead"

Comment

Awesome, I fell in love with this dudes passing and shot blocking during the tournament. I also don't expect him to be there when we draft, but man, he'd be nice to have.

Comment

After Ford's Mock was posted today where it had Dieng going 1 spot b4 the Pacers, I said I like him to be one of the players available for the Pacers. Your evaluation has just reinforced my view. Thanks

Comment

Dieng could take our already excellent defense to another level. Teams wouldn't be able to score in the paint against the Pacers with Hibbert and Dieng on the floor together.

Comment

Dieng shredded the Cuse zone. I am not as high on him as Tbird, but he is a good defensive player with solid passing ability. I think Tbird nailed where he will go. He is perfect for the system the Bulls run in Chicago. I would be very surprised if they pass on him and Whitey. Like Tbird points out his footwork is really bad and, that really concerns me. He is already 23 (even though he is a young 23). I don't see the fit being all that good here really. I think he would thrive in a better system though both Chicago and OKC would be perfect for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Goyle View Post
                Awesome, I fell in love with this dudes passing and shot blocking during the tournament. I also don't expect him to be there when we draft, but man, he'd be nice to have.
                +1. I'm thrilled that Tbird likes him even as a possible 5/4 option. I'm in the rather crowded boat (among us PDers) that has been pining for Player X for years and I fell for Dieng as he showed great improvement in his shooting. In the Louisville games that I was able to watch, he made a number of really impressive weak-side defensive plays ... but I still see him as a rather mechanical mover for a 4. Maybe added strength would improve him in this regard somewhat, but regardless, I'd love to see some more mix-and-match 4-5 combos next year as long as our backups show at least some shot-making ability. Since I'm ready for us to part ways with Hans (certainly for his QO), I believe a developmental big who can play at least some 4 is now a primary need. Outside of Cody Zeller (who also needs to gain weight & strength, of course,) Dieng is my favorite draft option among the bigs.

"He’s no shrinking violet when it comes to that kind of stuff."

- Rick Carlisle on how Kevin Pritchard responds to needed roster changes.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFife View Post
                  +1. I'm thrilled that Tbird likes him even as a possible 5/4 option. I'm in the rather crowded boat (among us PDers) that has been pining for Player X for years and I fell for Dieng as he showed great improvement in his shooting. In the Louisville games that I was able to watch, he made a number of really impressive weak-side defensive plays ... but I still see him as a rather mechanical mover for a 4. Maybe added strength would improve him in this regard somewhat, but regardless, I'd love to see some more mix-and-match 4-5 combos next year as long as our backups show at least some shot-making ability. Since I'm ready for us to part ways with Hans (certainly for his QO), I believe a developmental big who can play at least some 4 is now a primary need. Outside of Cody Zeller (who also needs to gain weight & strength, of course,) Dieng is my favorite draft option among the bigs.
                  Totally agree I don't see him being able to play the 4. He just isn't a fluid athlete. The likes of David West would eat him alive with speed and toughness. I liked John Henson last year a lot more than Dieng. He has much better feet and hands a long with the ability to shoot. In terms of bigs I don't like many in this draft for us and really in geneeral. I do think guys who will go later like Dieng and Whithey will have long successful careers in the league as defenders who can pass well.

Zeller is interesting. I love him as a high post guy. I think he will be a nightmare to match up with. He has a lot of moves in his arsenal that will help him. If he is used like Lamarcus Aldridge is used in Portland I think Cody will be very successful in the league. I think if he is misused he will struggle a lot. He is not a low post player and shouldn't be asked to do a lot in the low post. The high ball screen and and high post is where he should have an advantage at the NBA level. I think in a few years in the right system he could blossom into a 16 and 7 type guy in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by DrFife View Post
                    Dieng would be fine for the Pacers as I hope they continue the defensive bent of this team.
                    If he is not there I wonder what Third thinks of Withey. He seems fairly mobile and blocks
                    Shots in bunches
                    {o,o}
                    |)__)
                    -"-"-

Comment

As a Louisville fan, I got to see Gorgui a bunch and I'm a big fan. Would be nice if we were able to get him. His offensive game grew ridiculously in his time at UofL. Defensively you guys already know. I agree with tbird on the potential with Gorgui. He's a smart guy that works extremely hard. The improvement in his game showcases that.
                      The 19 Line Coming Soon!

Comment

hey Tbird - how are you NOT an NBA scout?
                        Peck is basically omniscient when it comes to understanding how the minds of Herb Simon and Kevin Pritchard work. I was a fool to ever question him and now feel deep shame for not understanding that this team believes in continuity above talent.

Comment

Originally posted by BornReady View Post
                          hey Tbird - how are you NOT an NBA scout?
                          True that. Thanks a million Tbird for these write ups. It has to be a huge time com9mitment
                          {o,o}
                          |)__)
                          -"-"-

Comment

I am seeing a Hibbert lite based on your scouting report. If he has the drive and motivation comparable with Hibbert, then I don't see why we can't have our twin towers in the future

Thanks for the this scouting report. It's something I always look forward during the off season.

Comment

Thanks for your work. This will make the draft a lot more interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X