Page 176 of 181 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180 ... LastLast
Results 4,376 to 4,400 of 4504

Thread: Off Season News, Rumors, and Trades, etc. 2013

immortal shaman rat king Ratking's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Off Season News, Rumors, and Trades, etc. 2013

Where is the Travis Diener viewing party being held today?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...korleone-young

Life went on for Al Harrington, for Gentry, for Stanley, and for the others. Young's life has become suspended in time, a Möbius strip of what-ifs. What if he'd had his father in his life? What if he'd never left Wichita East? What if he had gone to college? What if he had dedicated himself to the game? What if he'd studied the business of the NBA? What if he'd accepted responsibility earlier?

Where is Korleone Young now? Right where he started, still trying to get started.

"I just like to hide from people, really," Young said. "I didn't want to face a lot of these questions I got to face. I took myself into a shell, like a hermit … "

"I've hurt myself a lot by running, hiding. I'm still dealing with my own depression. I just can't face it."
    Sometimes we take it granted we are not alone. It's good to have friends.

JO's career high 55

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

This meets the "etc." requirement of this thread. Is there a different between retiring a number and retiring a jersey? Couldn't find anything myself. I always thought if you retired a player's jersey, it just went up in the rafter as an honorary thing...and then a number was when no one could ever wear that number unless they un-retire it. Any ideas?
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy317 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This meets the "etc." requirement of this thread. Is there a different between retiring a number and retiring a jersey? Couldn't find anything myself. I always thought if you retired a player's jersey, it just went up in the rafter as an honorary thing...and then a number was when no one could ever wear that number unless they un-retire it. Any ideas?
    what's this "retiring a jersey" you speak of? I've honestly never heard of it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    what's this "retiring a jersey" you speak of? I've honestly never heard of it.
    Well I know this is football and not basketball, but tonight for Donovan McNabb, non-stop I was hearing how they were going to retire his jersey tonight, they said it during halftime, and I've heard it about others before. When I heard "retiring a jersey", I figured it was like retiring a number, but to a lesser degree. I.E. no one named McNabb can ever wear the number 5 for the Eagles again. I made that theoretical definition up on my own, but I am 100% I've heard both retiring a number and retiring a jersey used separately.
    "What you are witnessing right now is the old Danny Granger of old!!" - Chris Denari 01/01/2014

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy317 View Post
    Well I know this is football and not basketball, but tonight for Donovan McNabb, non-stop I was hearing how they were going to retire his jersey tonight, they said it during halftime, and I've heard it about others before. When I heard "retiring a jersey", I figured it was like retiring a number, but to a lesser degree. I.E. no one named McNabb can ever wear the number 5 for the Eagles again. I made that theoretical definition up on my own, but I am 100% I've heard both retiring a number and retiring a jersey used separately.
    football's just different, you've got a ton of guys on the roster so it's kinda impossible to literally retire a number. like the Colts do the Ring Of Honor but not issuing 18, 88, 63, 87, whatever's up there, would be a problem. with football it's pretty much just a ceremonial thing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Has there been no discussion of the Star's new Pacers beat writer, Candace Buckner? Surprised I haven't seen anything. So does anyone have any thoughts or know anything about her or her work? The only thing I can say is she seems very accessible on Twitter.

I think her Twitter account says or at least said that she was working for the Trailblazers last year? Or working for the Portland newspaper covering them or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I think her Twitter account says or at least said that she was working for the Trailblazers last year? Or working for the Portland newspaper covering them or something?
    according to GOOGLE, she was the beat writer for the Blazers for the Columbian.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

What a sloppy game between Spain and France it is going to OT. Lets see who has the heart of a champion.

Mood

If Lithuania plays like they did today no way Spain or France can beat them. They were putting on a basketball clinic. I love how they space you out and then move it just a beautiful brand of ball. They were also playing a little defense. It seems like playing defense in these events is looked at as a crime. The defense has been awful most of this tournament.

Mood

this Spain France game is coming down to who wants to give the game away. It is just back in forth TO bad play ect. Both teams have been awful both want to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Smits Happens View Post
    Has there been no discussion of the Star's new Pacers beat writer, Candace Buckner? Surprised I haven't seen anything. So does anyone have any thoughts or know anything about her or her work? The only thing I can say is she seems very accessible on Twitter.
    I had no clue they even hired a new one

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    according to GOOGLE, she was the beat writer for the Blazers for the Columbian.
    The Columbian is a Vancouver based newspaper. On their page, when they announced her hiring in Sept. '12, they said she was currently working in Indiana on a book about high school basketball. Thought that last part was interesting.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    If Lithuania plays like they did today no way Spain or France can beat them. They were putting on a basketball clinic. I love how they space you out and then move it just a beautiful brand of ball. They were also playing a little defense. It seems like playing defense in these events is looked at as a crime. The defense has been awful most of this tournament.
    There have been some good defensive performances throughout this tournament. Spain, Slovenia and Finland were good for most of the time. Lithuania has been uncharacteristically good defensively as well this year.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

"The Original SHOT"

Down three with 11.9 seconds left and lacking any timeouts, the Knicks were doomed. In 1999, 3-pointers didn’t just fall from the sky. Well, maybe all 3-pointers actually do fall from the sky, but back then, they just didn’t rain reliably. New York made 382 3s in 1997-98, matching what the 2012-13 Grizzlies did as last season's last-place team in 3s made. It wasn’t that the Knicks were especially bad from distance, as they were actually top-10 in made 3-pointers in their last full season before the 1998 lockout. Iso-era teams just lacked shooters, or at least the inclination to let it fly. Unless your team had Reggie Miller, the Grim Reaper was pretty much your sixth man in these kinds of situations.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...s-4-point-play

Spurs sign yet another former Pacer, Sam Young.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    Spurs sign yet another former Pacer, Sam Young.
    Looks like they know who they will be facing in the finals this year and are trying to get all the inside information they can get. But in all seriousness, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But happy to see two good guys go to another quality organization. Just wish they hadn't snatched our assistant coach. Oh well sometimes a little change is good.
    Last edited by Pacerfan; 09-25-2013 at 08:48 PM.

guys, we have a game NEXT SATURDAY

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

About time are any of them gonna be on tv?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to granger4mvp For This Useful Post:

J7F

SO EXCITED!!!!

Do we know which preseason games will be televised?
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Sports Logo

I didn't want to create another thread, but more commentary on the Pacers and Bulls in the Central division:

http://www.csnchicago.com/bulls/indi...bcs&ocid=yahoo

Indianapolis might not be one of the NBA’s biggest markets, but the Pacers ownership hasn’t been shy about handing out big contracts. After giving Roy Hibbert a $58 million deal last summer, Indiana re-signed David West and Paul George to huge paydays this offseason, George getting a max deal similar to the contract Derrick Rose received from the Bulls, which could exceed $90 million over five years if George triggers an escalator clause.

Pacers President Larry Bird admitted the obvious during Wednesday morning’s news conference saying, “We’re all in this year.”

And this from head coach Frank Vogel, "Since I took over here, we've been talking about having a similar era to what the Colts had the last seven or eight years, where they had a chance to win it all basically every year. We're a couple of years into this thing, and to have this guy [George] under contract for five more years gives us that type of confidence, that we can win a championship, our first [NBA] championship.”

[RELATED: George signs extension as Pacers go 'all in']

There’s no doubt George is one of the league’s rising stars. In his first full season as a starter, the 6'8 small forward averaged 17.4 points and 7.6 rebounds per game, and played even better in the postseason, leading Indiana to a Game 7 against Miami in the Eastern Conference finals. George has also bought in to Vogel’s defense-first philosophy, accepting the challenge of guarding some of the league’s best players, including LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony. George has just scratched the surface of his potential, and that’s a scary thought for the other teams in the league.

But re-signing George wasn’t the only move the Pacers made this summer. They strengthened their bench with the addition of Luis Scola, Chris Copeland and former Bulls guard C.J. Watson, and don’t forget they’ll have former All-Star Danny Granger back after a lost season due to knee problems. Vogel will have to decide whether to put Granger in the starting lineup and shift George to shooting guard where he played for much of the 2011-12 season, or stick with defensive ace Lance Stephenson at the “2”, and bring Granger’s instant offense off the bench. No matter which way Vogel decides to go, he’ll have a much stronger second unit than the one that did basically nothing in their playoff loss to Miami.

[MORE: NBA Predictions -- Eastern Conference Breakdown]

Now the big question for Bulls fans is: Can Chicago regain the Central Division title they lost to the Pacers last season with Rose in rehab mode? Tom Thibodeau’s teams led the NBA in regular season wins in each of his first two years on the job, but the Eastern Conference looks a lot different this season. It’s extremely top heavy with the Heat, Bulls, Pacers and Nets leading the way, but don’t discount the improvements made by Central Division doormats' Cleveland and Detroit. Racking up 60 wins might not be so easy anymore, and both the Bulls and Pacers figure to be in that 55-58 win range this season.

Looking at the two rosters, it’s almost dead even. Rose gives the Bulls a huge advantage at point guard over George Hill, but if George moves to shooting guard, he gets the edge over the improving Jimmy Butler. The frontlines are a draw with Hibbert, West and Granger comparing very favorably with Joakim Noah, Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng. The benches are also close with Indiana’s second unit of Scola, Watson, Copeland, Stephenson (or Granger), and Ian Mahinmi right there with the Bulls' Kirk Hinrich, Mike Dunleavy, Taj Gibson, Marquis Teague and Nazr Mohammed.

The coaches are also very similar with Thibodeau and Vogel both preaching defense, rebounding, inside-out play and limiting turnovers. Any way you look at it, we should have a great battle for the Central Division title this season. The Bulls and Pacers will also meet two times during the preseason, so this rivalry should be hot and heavy by the time the playoffs roll around in April.

Getting the No. 1 seed in the East figures to be more valuable than ever, and knowing the personalities of the coaches involved, you can count on the Bulls and Pacers being "all-in."
    Last edited by CableKC; 09-26-2013 at 03:59 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Screw it, this goes here

Awesome scene. I hate the Yankees, but Rivera is a class act and that was an incredible exit.