Page 168 of 181 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178 ... LastLast
Results 4,176 to 4,200 of 4504

Thread: Off Season News, Rumors, and Trades, etc. 2013

Sports Logo

Default Re: Off Season News, Rumors, and Trades, etc. 2013

Ron Howard to attend training camp with Indiana Pacers

Scott Schroeder Aug 26, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT

The Indiana Pacers have already handed out 13 guaranteed contracts for next season, leaving two spots available for potential role players ready to contribute. One of the players vying for that opportunity will be Ron Howard, a longtime standout for the Pacers’ NBA Development League affiliate Fort Wayne Mad Ants.

Howard will attend vet camp with the Pacers, a league source told Pro Basketball Talk, after averaging 19.1 points, 4.7 rebounds and 4.1 assists this past season in the D-League. The man known as Mr. Mad Ant will turn 31 in November, but he’s continued to improve since entering the D-League through an open tryout prior to the 2007 season.

Howard put up a career-best 18.2 PER for the Mad Ants last season while helping lead the team to its first playoff berth in six seasons. He showed that an old dog can learn new tricks in the process, too, as the 6-foot-5 swingman played more point guard than he had at any other point in his career.

The former Valparaiso standout has participated in three previous vet camps — two with the Milwaukee Bucks and one with the Knicks — but has never appeared on an NBA team’s regular season roster. He’s hoping that changes this year, however, considering another only five other players have played more career minutes in the D-League’s history … and that’s a list nobody wants to move up on at this stage of their career.

Awesome.....I hear that Ralph Malph and Potsie are available as well.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Awesome.....I hear that Ralph Malph and Potsie are available as well.
    Too bad the Fonz retired.
    UncleBuck:

"See how stupid those fans sound complaining about the officials. That is one reason why I hate when Pacers fans complain about the refs - does not come across well at all, no matter the merit. "

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    Too bad the Fonz retired.
    I am sure that this poor guy loves those Happy Days jokes.....

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-mem...183300247.html

COMMENTARY | In the dynamic world of professional sports fans, you often come across two types of individuals.

There are those who are die-hard fans, forever loyal to their team of choosing. Then there is the more common casual fan who enjoys the sport in general, but may be open to which team(s) he or she chooses to follow each season. If you find yourself in the second categorization, you may consider these three points as to why the Memphis Grizzlies should be on your radar this upcoming season:

Underdog status with contender abilities.

It is always fun to cheer for the underdog, but especially when they have a real chance at success. The Memphis Grizzlies are perennially underestimated by professional sport analysts and fans alike. Many assume that the Grizzlies' lack of a true superstar, or their limited budget as a small-market franchise, hinders their ability to contend at the league's highest level. For the past several seasons, however, the Grizzlies have quietly exceeded the expectations of others, culminating with an appearance in the Western Conference finals of the 2013 playoffs.

Defensive artistry.

In the NBA, the defensive game has truly has become a lost art. Though with the Memphis Grizzlies, one can rediscover defense in its purest form. The Grizzlies boast a powerful one-two punch on the defensive end of the court, with elite perimeter defenders in Mike Conley and Tony Allen complemented by the league's reigning defensive player of the year in Marc Gasol. When these talents are concentrated with head coach Dave Joerger's brilliant game plan, you have a defense that can rival the entertainment value of many teams' offensive games. Memphis is one of only a handful of teams remaining in the league where one can appreciate this artistry.

Team basketball.

Although many view the Grizzlies' lack of a superstar as a handicap, it may, in fact, be one of their greatest strengths. An overwhelming majority of NBA teams now rely on one or two superstar players to ensure their success. However in Memphis, you find basketball returned to its roots as a team-first rather than a player-first sport.

Grizzlies players will routinely place their personal success behind the the success of the team. Seeing a well-oiled, unified squad such as the Memphis Grizzlies truly is a breath of fresh air in the world of egocentric players. The Memphis Grizzlies are a unique brand of basketball. They may not always grace the front page of sports websites or overwhelm the highlight reels, but they consistently and effectively deliver what fans crave most: wins. And Memphis certainly isn't done. As the Grizzlies embark on another season, it would certainly be beneficial to consider hopping on the bandwagon. Do not underestimate the underdog.
    This is pure commentary from Yahoo Sports from a fan...yes, a fan commentary article from Yahoo. I only bring this post up because after reading it......you can literally substitute ever instance of the "Memphis Grizzlies" with the "Indiana Pacers" ( also sub "David Joeger" with "Frank Vogel" ) and you can come to the same conclusion.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good news: Season tickets sales are up 30%
    http://www.indystar.com/viewart/2013...from-last-year
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    Great news. This franchise has come a long way in the last three years, or more specifically, since O'Brien was sent packing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

J7F

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great for the team not so good for me lol. The past two years as the tickets have increased me being able to get a ticket decreased. This year I wonder if I will even get to 5 games. That was the great thing about the JOB years I could go to every game because no one wanted a ticket. I will take winning over me going to games though.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    Great for the team not so good for me lol. The past two years as the tickets have increased me being able to get a ticket decreased. This year I wonder if I will even get to 5 games. That was the great thing about the JOB years I could go to every game because no one wanted a ticket. I will take winning over me going to games though.
    I think it will still be very easy to get cheap stubhub tickets for the weeknight games against poor opponents.

Jared Zwerling

Source: In addition to the Knicks, the Pacers, Pelicans and Sixers are interested in Earl Barron.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Jared Zwerling
    A 7 footer who has shot .375 from the field for his career? Oh yeah, sign us up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    A 7 footer who has shot .375 from the field for his career? Oh yeah, sign us up!
    For a 15th man, he wouldn't hurt. I'd like for the Pacers to bring in one more big guy for depth....

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

For a 15th man, he wouldn't hurt. I'd like for the Pacers to bring in one more big guy for depth....
    Yeah, but maybe one that can play the game ??

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    As of right now he would be the 14th man.

I think the Pacers would probably just want him for a big body, more for defense than anything else. If he was actually needed for a long stretch of games the season would likely be over.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 08-28-2013 at 01:21 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    As of right now he would be the 14th man.
    Nope, the 15th man on a 13 man roster.

A quote from Frank on Scola from a new Scott Agness article.
    http://blogs.pacers.com/2013/08/27/o...-looking-huge/

On the Pacers’ moves this offseason, including a trade with Phoenix for Luis Scola:

“Yeah, it was a big time trade. All of our players were just so excited. They know what it’s like to play against Luis Scola. He’s going to find a way to out-fox you. He’s got all the tricks, all the savvy, all the fakes and [he's] one of the most deceptive players in the game. To bring somebody like that in here, who also plays with the energy of a Tyler Hansbrough or somebody like that, is really going to bolster are bench.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Nope, the 15th man on a 13 man roster.
    Well if we picked him up, then according to your thinking he would have to be the 15th man on a 14 man roster. (giggle)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    A quote from Frank on Scola from a new Scott Agness article.
    http://blogs.pacers.com/2013/08/27/o...-looking-huge/
    On the Pacers’ moves this offseason, including a trade with Phoenix for Luis Scola:

“Yeah, it was a big time trade. All of our players were just so excited. They know what it’s like to play against Luis Scola. He’s going to find a way to out-fox you. He’s got all the tricks, all the savvy, all the fakes and [he's] one of the most deceptive players in the game. To bring somebody like that in here, who also plays with the energy of a Tyler Hansbrough or somebody like that, is really going to bolster are bench.
    I know none of the players would ever say it in public, but I wonder how many of them are also exited that some of last year's players WON'T be back this year. Not trying to be mean. It is just something I always wonder about.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

it's kinda understandable because of the money saved, but you'd think Phoenix could've gotten another pick out of that

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

So the Suns basically turned Jared Dudley into Bledsoe and cap space. That's a pretty nice return.

Play nice, guys.

That essentially was the directive given to owners James Dolan of the Knicks and Mikhail Prokhorov of the Nets this past season during a meeting orchestrated by NBA Commissioner David Stern, who wanted to snuff any lingering tension between the two and prevent a full-blown feud, multiple league sources told The Post.

“There was such a meeting and the parties both said it was a very cordial and pleasant one,” said one league official with knowledge of the sit-down, which happened early in the season.

The official also confirmed Stern assisted in getting the pair together in an attempt to prevent a wave of spitballs going back and forth over the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...content=Knicks

I don't know why Stern wants these teams to "play nice". Their feud and potshots are good for NBA popularity in New York. It gets people talking. NBA basketball was completely dead in New York during the 2000's. The Knicks were the scum of the league while no one in New York cared about the Nets successes. Anything that gets people hyped about basketball in New York is a good thing. The "feud' between these teams is good pub.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    it's kinda understandable because of the money saved, but you'd think Phoenix could've gotten another pick out of that

Maybe they could have, but I think doing the trade had more to do with doing Butler a solid than it did with making the best basketball move. Butler has always seemed like a good guy so I'm happy that he gets to play very close to his home.

Random note: I went to the Mavericks/Bucks game in January of 2011 when Butler blew out his knee. A few of my friends played high school basketball against him and he's very popular among Wisconsin basketball fans.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Phoenix is rumored to be cutting Beasley. Any interest?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Phoenix is rumored to be cutting Beasley. Any interest?
    I don't know how too put this nicely **** NO!!!

If I am a team in the Chinese league I am not sure if I would be interested.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Ivan Johnson to China. Sounds like he hopes to be back in the NBA for the end of this season.

Free-agent forward Ivan Johnson has signed with the Zhejiang Chouzhou basketball club in China, his agent Jeremiah Haylett confirmed to ESPN.com.

While Haylett wouldn't disclose financial details of the contract, he said it has no opt-out clause and it's only for the duration of the CBA season.

"It's a three-and-a-half-month season," Haylett said. "We plan on coming back to the NBA after the CBA season."

Before Johnson inked his Chinese deal, the Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Clippers, New York Knicks and Indiana Pacers all were in talks for his services.

The 29-year-old Johnson, who became an NBA player in 2011 and has only played for the Atlanta Hawks, was initially campaigning for a mini mid-level contract.

But as the free-agent market changed with similarly sized and skilled forwards only signing for the veteran's minimum, Haylett thought an amount for around $3 million would be "tough" to get.

Johnson averaged 6.5 points and 3.9 rebounds in two seasons with Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Caron Butler isn't that great anymore, and the Suns might have a chance to turn that cap space into some picks at the deadline. Someone is always looking to get under tax. Overall, I think it's a great deal for the Suns.

The Bucks are going to have a mediocre team that will rely on the 3-ball 1 through 4. They should get Jim O'Brien.
    They do have multiple interesting young guys, though. There's hope.