Page 156 of 181 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157158159160166 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 4504

Thread: Off Season News, Rumors, and Trades, etc. 2013

Default Re: Off Season News, Rumors, and Trades, etc. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone else get the sense that he and his Agent is milking this for all it's worth?

Seriously, I am really surprised that he's not holding a press conference in front of his house or something.
    This may be his last contract negotiation... He's relishing the moment
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    But is it fun for the rest of us that have to read around it? There should be a "debate Vnz" thread where you can all go argue to your hearts content.
    Sorry, I thought this was a fan forum where people go to talk and debate sport topics

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

But is it fun for the rest of us that have to read around it? There should be a "debate Vnz" thread where you can all go argue to your hearts content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Sorry, I thought this was a fan forum where people go to talk and debate sport topics
    When vnzla is talking basketball he often brings up some valid points anyway. It's the extracurricular stuff that gets in the way at times. As a former lurker I can tell you that there were times that from the perspective of somebody detached from the chatter sometimes his opinions actually seem like the more rational ones.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 08-02-2013 at 07:49 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

So is Greg Oden going to make a SportsCenter appearance for his decision?
    "We want Miami"

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    endorsement money? For what? How many nba players do you see endorsing products? How many members of the Miami heat do you think get endorsement contracts simply for being on the team? What's Mario chalmers or Udonis haslem hawking these days?

I agree that going to Miami probably wouldn't significantly increase his endorsement opportunities unless he shows that he can play and stay on the floor for multiple seasons, but a ton of NBA players have endorsement deals. They don't have to film commercials to get those types of contracts.

And Miami has the taxpayer's exception left, I think. So something would have to go wrong, you would think, for Oden to choose San Antonio or New Orleans over the Heat. They're all offering the minimum salary. It would be hilarious if Oden chose some team other than the two-time defending champs and took less money do it... especially if he came back healthy for the long haul. I would get a good deal of enjoyment out of that, no matter who he chose to sign with. I did hear some whispers that he wanted a lower-pressure environment so the microscope wasn't so trained on him.

I've been on record since he cancelled his qualifying offer with the Blazers (out of the goodness of his heart, because Portland was locked in and he chose to forfeit the money) in saying that he should choose the Suns if his primary interest is prolonging his career. They have the best training staff in the league by a wide margin.
    Last edited by spreedom; 08-03-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    He's pretty much a big body for defense and rebounds
    What the EFF is wrong with him?

https://twitter.com/christomasson/st...54543431868416

Geez Oden.....make up your mind already. I'm telling you...he's milking this for all the attention that he can get.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    I agree that going to Miami probably wouldn't significantly increase his endorsement opportunities unless he shows that he can play and stay on the floor for multiple seasons, but a to of NBA players have endorsement deals. They don't have to film commercials to get those types of contracts.

And Miami has the taxpayer's exception left, I think. So something would have to go wrong, you would think, for Oden to choose San Antonio or New Orleans over the Heat. They're all offering the minimum salary. It would be hilarious if Oden chose some team other than the two-time defending champs and took less money do it... especially if he came back healthy for the long haul. I would get a good deal of enjoyment out of that, no matter who he chose to sign with. I did hear some whispers that he wanted a lower-pressure environment so the microscope wasn't so trained on him.

I've been on record since he cancelled his qualifying offer with the Blazers (out of the goodness of his heart, because Portland was locked in and he chose to forfeit the money) in saying that he should choose the Suns if his primary interest is prolonging his career. They have the best training staff in the league by a wide margin.

Um, I mean, screw that drama queen​!

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I'm sure this has been discussed many times elsewhere, but was Oden's knee problem foreshadowed at all in college? If so, who in their right mind would pick him over Durant?

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

He had a broken hand or wrist I think in college. I don't recall him having knee trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He had a broken hand or wrist I think in college. I don't recall him having knee trouble.
    Oden had a broken wrist in college, but his knee pain/problems date back to at least his freshman year in high school.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

endorsement money? For what? How many nba players do you see endorsing products? How many members of the Miami heat do you think get endorsement contracts simply for being on the team? What's Mario chalmers or Udonis haslem hawking these days?
    Chalmers does have a shoe deal with Spalding. Battier also has an endoresment deal but as a byproduct of playing with Yao. There's a lot benefits of playing on a title team, especially a memorable title team, that continue for years after someone's career is over. Does Steve Kerr have the same level of post playing NBA success if he spends his career on the Bucks and Grizzlies instead of Bulls and Spurs? He's a smart guy so I'm sure he'd make a fine living whatever the circumstances but those titles lend him cred that he wouldn't have otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Oden had a broken wrist in college, but his knee pain/problems date back to at least his freshman year in high school.
    How much was that being talked about as a concern in 2007, though? I know there was talk of him staying healthy, but I don't remember talk of red flags about his knees, either.

In any case, Pritchard sure learned the hard way about being as thorough as can be regarding a player's past, current, and projected health, didn't he? Between Oden and Brandon Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    How much was that being talked about as a concern in 2007, though? I know there was talk of him staying healthy, but I don't remember talk of red flags about his knees, either.

In any case, Pritchard sure learned the hard way about being as thorough as can be regarding a player's past, current, and projected health, didn't he? Between Oden and Brandon Roy.
    If I get some time today I may try to find an old Slam magazine from that time period to share some insights...
    Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

"We want Miami"

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

From Stevenson's twitter:

Wait, I thought the guy hated Lebron

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    From Stevenson's twitter:

Miami Heat Where I Wanna Go!!! Lebron Make it Happen
    — dsteve92 & JMarie (@DSteve92JMarie) August 4, 2013

Wanna sign in Miami heat pic.twitter.com/uPoNByWeKK
    — dsteve92 & JMarie (@DSteve92JMarie) August 4, 2013

Wait, I thought the guy hated Lebron
    if Stevenson had any pride this'd be embarrassing. but he clearly doesn't.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't Stevenson and LeBron get in "beef" when it was the famous Wizards vs Cavs rivalry that was 2 playoff series I think.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Here's the video the Mav's made to woo Dwight Howard.

This is from Mark Cuban's blog post. Some of you might enjoy reading it, he discusses some of the moves they made since their championship season.
    http://blogmaverick.com/2013/08/03/lets-talk-mavs-mffl/

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

This is from Mark Cuban's blog post. Some of you might enjoy reading it, he discusses some of the moves they made since their championship season.

He took some risks and lost, but I'm not sure how signing so many point guards/combo guards will help them succeed.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

J7F

I have nothing against Howard, but he's probably the most overrated player in the league. Houston's not going to win anything with him as their cornerstone.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Calling him a cornerstone is semantics. They have the top shooting guard in the NBA on their team.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I agree with his thoughts on tanking. The fact that everyone is doing it should warn you that it's hard to find value down that road:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Cuban
    In today’s game it appears that the popular path to build a team is to put together a group of young players that you hope will develop to their full potential and potentially lose a lot of games so you have a chance to pick the next Kevin Durant, John Wall or Kyrie Irving or Blake Griffin et al.

Then you have to do it again at least one more season , if not more, because any one of those players is not enough to win a championship. They are all great players now, but it takes time for them to develop into great players. THen you have to put the right players around them in order to become a championship contending team. This may be the exact right approach for teams to take to build a championship. You never know until you know.

What I do know, at least what I think i have learned from my experiences in business is that when there is a rush for everyone to do the same thing, it becomes more difficult to do . Not easier. Harder. It also means that as other teams follow their lead, it creates opportunities for those who have followed a different path.

I see quite a few teams taking what appears to be the same approach to building a team. I can understand why they are taking this approach. In the current CBA the value of a player chosen in the draft can be considerable because of the defined contract terms. And if you put together some great young players, it is very enticing to want to keep those players together for a long period.

But I also know that even if you have the worst record in the NBA, you may not get the top pick and even if you do, there is a material chance you pick the wrong player , or it just happens to be a draft when there are not any IDENTIFIABLE superstar potential players at the top of the draft.

In other words , while it may be popular i think the quantity of teams taking the same approach makes it more difficult to build a team in this manner.
    As an example of how to find value by taking the path less traveled, the Pacers have found some success by drafting 4 year college guys when everyone else thought these were less sexy picks.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    As an example of how to find value by taking the path less traveled, the Pacers have found some success by drafting 4 year college guys when everyone else thought these were less sexy picks.
    They've done a little of both.

The Pacers drafted Paul George, who spent 2 years in college playing in a small conference for a team with a losing record. They took Lance after he spent 1 not very impressive year in college with all sorts of character question marks. Both those guys were in the starting lineup last year.

Best example of a 4 year player they took was Roy, obviously, and they developed him. They also took a 4 year player in Hasnbrough who was one of the most decorated college players ever, but it was always doubtful after the first couple years that he was going to be in the team's long range plans. Not surprisingly, he's now played his last game for the Pacers.

Just want to make a quick comment on Mark Cuban.

I think he's been a tremendous owner in this league, but remember one thing: When he took over the Mavs, Dirk, Michael Finley and Steve Nash were already there in place. He started off with 3 franchise cornerstones.

He won by inheriting these 3 guys (with Dirk being the most important obviously) and spending big, big money to surround them with role players. His teams were consistently deep in the luxury tax and among the highest payrolls in the league year after year. He willingly took on big contracts from other teams who were good players but overpaid (Jamison, Walker, LaFrentz, Van Exel, etc...) in order to build up and flip assets.

Eventually, he found the right combo of role players to stick around Dirk and his timing was good: it was right before OKC turned into an elite team and was also the same year that Lebron was just figuring things out with Miami. And truthfully, he got it done right at Dirk's peak, right before he started to decline.

Curious to see how he rebuilds now with Dirk really in his twilight and after his failure to land a franchise player 2 summers in a row. So far, I think he's gotten off to a poor start.
    Last edited by d_c; 08-04-2013 at 10:13 AM.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Calling him a cornerstone is semantics. They have the top shooting guard in the NBA on their team.
    The Rockets sure as hell hope its more than semantics.