Page 116 of 181 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126166 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 4504

Thread: Off Season News, Rumors, and Trades, etc. 2013

Sports Logo

Default Re: Off Season News, Rumors, and Trades, etc. 2013

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee is likely not ready.
    Interesting. What makes you think that?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

-------------

CJ Watson - 20 points on 6/10 shooting!

13/4/2014

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

never heard of him
    That's very interesting. Glad to see more and more Euros coming over there as FAs

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I would be surprised if that's the direction they chose, but yes I suppose that's a possibility. That would not address our bench's struggles to score, however. I think they're planning on Copeland being at the four.

That could backfire and be a disaster, or it could be a really, really good improvement. Just have to wait and see.
    I'm fine with the strategy of Copeland at the four. I like that they are taking a risk. I also think that we just need one defensive-only type player for situational purposes that allows us to make an adjustment if some power forward is just abusing Copeland. Even a Stiensma/Ian to the 4 type of adjustment would work. It shouldn't cost very much, and it is nice insurance to have.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

4. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I'm fine with the strategy of Copeland at the four. I like that they are taking a risk. I also think that we just need one defensive-only type player for situational purposes that allows us to make an adjustment if some power forward is just abusing Copeland. Even a Stiensma/Ian to the 4 type of adjustment would work. It shouldn't cost very much, and it is nice insurance to have.
    Although, with Plumlee looking decent, Plums at the 5 and Ian at the 4 provides the same insurance, I suppose.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo

Although, with Plumlee looking decent, Plums at the 5 and Ian at the 4 provides the same insurance, I suppose.
    Or Ian at the 5 and Plums at the 4.

Panopticon

-------------

13/4/2014

I believe Plumlee will be able to fill in as our 5th big off the bench this year, similar to what Pendergraph did for us last season. I don't know if he will be able to surpass Mahinmi for any stretch of time this season but he definitely is capable of being a large, athletic body to drop in the paint. I have a feeling that all of these coaches talking about his improved rebounding and defense are on to something.

Our team has multiple examples (Hibbert, Lance, PG to name a few) of players who were initially given few minutes, and worked their butts off on the boards and on defense to get the added minutes they wanted. I think the same might apply to Plumlee. The guy has an NBA body and athleticism, and looks like he is much more prepared, both mentally and physically (ignore the summer league stats if you want, but his focus and determination are impossible to ignore), to handle minimal back up minutes this year.

Pendergraph averaged 4/3 on 10 mpg in the regular season... I see no reason why Miles can't offer a similar contribution this year.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jrod Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod Jones View Post
    I believe Plumlee will be able to fill in as our 5th big off the bench this year, similar to what Pendergraph did for us last season. I don't know if he will be able to surpass Mahinmi for any stretch of time this season but he definitely is capable of being a large, athletic body to drop in the paint. I have a feeling that all of these coaches talking about his improved rebounding and defense are on to something.

Our team has multiple examples (Hibbert, Lance, PG to name a few) of players who were initially given few minutes, and worked their butts off on the boards and on defense to get the added minutes they wanted. I think the same might apply to Plumlee. The guy has an NBA body and athleticism, and looks like he is much more prepared, both mentally and physically (ignore the summer league stats if you want, but his focus and determination are impossible to ignore), to handle minimal back up minutes this year.

Pendergraph averaged 4/3 on 10 mpg in the regular season... I see no reason why Miles can't offer a similar contribution this year.
    Not a bad argument. I hope you are right.

The thing is:

Copeland being able to handle the defensive side is a unknown . . .

Plumlee being able to provide a stop-gap is unknown . . .

I would just feel a little better if they spent a million or two on a vet who is a known quantity in case we lose all our bets.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Not a bad argument. I hope you are right.

The thing is:

Copeland being able to handle the defensive side is a unknown . . .

Plumlee being able to provide a stop-gap is unknown . . .

I would just feel a little better if they spent a million or two on a vet who is a known quantity in case we lose all our bets.
    I wouldn't disagree. There is one more available roster spot, and I am hopeful that they put it towards a vet bigman.

Also I don't think Copeland's defense is necessarily an unknown... from talking to Knicks fans and watching him throughout the year, he seemed to struggle the most defensively when forced to play on the perimeter as a 3. His post defense is nothing amazing, but seemed to be relatively sound.
    Last edited by Jrod Jones; 07-09-2013 at 02:18 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jrod Jones For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a feeling that a decent veteran big will become available through Amnesty. Last year there were several surprises with players like Brand, Blatche, and Scola being waived through the amnesty provision.

There is also a lot of talk of certain veteran European players being interested in playing in the NBA this season so they could always go that route as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    Don't we only have the min to offer? I don't see how Blair would accept that.

Do yo realize he only made a mil last season? He's not exactly a red hot commodity.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I have a feeling that a decent veteran big will become available through Amnesty. Last year there were several surprises with players like Brand, Blatche, and Scola being waived through the amnesty provision.

There is also a lot of talk of certain veteran European players being interested in playing in the NBA this season so they could always go that route as well.

Pacers are over the cap, they can't bid on any amnestied players as a result.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's this guy named Metta that is getting the amnesty.

I remember him from when he was Artest. One time I went to a game in DET and kind of tossed a beer on him. Things got crazy after that.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhoLovesYaBaby? For This Useful Post:

Does anyone know what the rules are that allow a Euro player to play in the NBA without going through the draft first? It would seem they have an advantage over U.S. players, in terms of picking who they play for, if they are allowed to circumvent the draft somehow.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jermaine O'Neal to the Warriors.

Former All-Star center Jermaine O'Neal has committed to sign with the Golden State Warriors, according to sources familiar with the deal.

Sources told ESPN.com that O'Neal has agreed to a one-year deal with the Warriors, where he'll reunite with former agent Bo Myers, now Golden State's general manager.

O'Neal, who maintains an offseason residence in the Dallas area, also gave strong consideration to signing with the Mavericks but ultimately grabbed Golden State's offer. The deal will be formalized this week after Wednesday's lifting of the league-wide moratorium on player moves

O'Neal, 34, had a strong bounce-back season health-wise in Phoenix in 2012-13 and credits the knee treatment has has received in Germany before last season and again recently with making him feel as good as he's felt in years.

He averaged 8.3 points and 5.3 rebounds in 55 games for the Suns last season.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/94...-oneal-sources

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Does anyone know what the rules are that allow a Euro player to play in the NBA without going through the draft first? It would seem they have an advantage over U.S. players, in terms of picking who they play for, if they are allowed to circumvent the draft somehow.
    Basically he has to be older than 22. Here is the link.

A player is considered to be an international player if he has maintained permanent residence outside the U.S. for the three years prior to the draft while playing basketball (as either an amateur or pro) outside the U.S., and who never completed high school or enrolled in a college or university in the U.S. An international player is eligible for the NBA draft that is held in the same calendar year as his 22nd birthday. An international player who is at least 19 but younger than 22 also can become draft eligible by declaring himself an early entry player. An international player who is older than 22 or was not selected in the draft in the same calendar year as his 22nd birthday is considered a rookie free agent.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

JO to Warriors:

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Good deal for the Kings. Bucks being the Bucks.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post

Good deal for the Kings. Bucks being the Bucks.

Indeed. What on earth are they doing in Milwaukee?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimp View Post
    Indeed. What on earth are they doing in Milwaukee?
    Tanking
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Member Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good luck, Jermaine.
    Oldness comes with a smile
    To every love given child
    Oldness comes to rile
    The youth who dream suicide

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    That's very interesting. Glad to see more and more Euros coming over there as FAs

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramitt For This Useful Post:

Banned

@swish41: We worked all summer to get DH to Dallas. Welcome back to the Mavs, Devin Harris....

I am super confused by the Bucks, they are just making trades for the sake of trades.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    I am super confused by the Bucks, they are just making trades for the sake of trades.
    "Whatever happened to crazy?"

—Chris Rock

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Still confused why OJ Mayo signed with the Bucks. Def a money move for him.
    “This was just a taste,” George said. “I want to be here every year until I can’t go no more.”