Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1998. Vs 2013

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 1998. Vs 2013

Guys i was pretty young in 1998 and not living in or anywhere near Indy I have no idea how much the city is jumping this time of year, Infact I've never even been to Indiana. However my question is how different is this game 7 vs the champs in comparison to 1998 and the great Mj and his champion bulls team.

What were the fans expectation then compared to now. Was everyone expecting a win or was just competing a huge milestone.

How did the city react to the lost?

Which gm7 was more anticipated / unexpected?

Do you think we had a better shot at winning then than we do now?

Do you feel more confident in pg/hibbert delivering than in Miller and his crew?

How did you guys feel about our chances against the Jazz in comparison to this years Spurs?

I know you guys may laugh at this but I'm really curious. Feel free to add anything else that may help my curiosity
    Last edited by Romsey31; 06-02-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    Impossible Is Nothing

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Romsey31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 1998. Vs 2013

I was fairly young as well. Back then it felt like every team won every home game so I expected a loss at Chicago, but I'm definitely curious as to how it really was back then to Pacer fans

my expectations for winning this game 7 is about the same as it was in 1998. if anything my expectations are slightly greater this year because I thought we had a better team in 98 than 2013, but that bulls team was much better than this heat team.

My take... At that point we had already lost in the Eastern Conference Finals twice in recent history, it sucked but it seemed to be the way things were for this team. We even lost there again the next year. All of the games in that series with the Bulls were really close (decided by 6 points or less) except one. It's been far more unexpected for us to be where we are now than back in 98'. I think we had a better shot at winning it then than we do now, but maybe not by a huge margin. At that point I felt like with Reggie we were in position to win any game, anywhere. With our current squad, I've seen us play really poorly on the road in the playoffs so I do have less confidence in PG and Hibbert delivering. I can't really remember what I thought about our chances against the Jazz, so I won't comment there.

Has anyone else thought about that 95' ECF against the Magic though? We destroyed the Magic here in game 6 and it looked like a sure bet we'd get over the hump in game 7 but got destroyed on their home floor.

Reggie was already 33 in 1998, moving past his prime. The whole team had peaked. This team has a higher ceiling but I don't think it was quite that good.

Paul George is probably the best NBA Pacer ever. Roy Hibbert, due to his defense, is better than Rik Smits by some distance. David West is one of the best PF's we've ever had. It's hard telling how good Lance Stephenson is going to be. George Hill is another solid player. We could use better quality depth and if Granger returns healthy there is no comparison. Next year we could see the best Pacer team ever. But things have to fall in place. We would lose to the Pacers of 1998 IMO.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

To answer your questions, the city was following the team more than they are now. Expectations were high, but we had to get through the Bulls and MJ. In 1998, I think we believe we could beat the Bulls...where I don't think we are as confident or were as confident against Miami.

The city just went back to normal after the loss from my recollection. Disappointment but back to work.

I think there was more anticipation in 1998 because we'd been through wars and thought the team was ready.

I think we had a better shot in 1998 if we'd gotten by the Bulls. I think Reggie would have a ring. Not so sure about facing the Spurs this year.

Paul and Roy are young. Miller and his team were all vets. I was more confident in Reggie getting it done. But again, this young team has more talent and promise IMO.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think you should be comparing the 2013 team to the 1994 team, not the 1998 team.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We had were in control for most of the game until the 4th in game 7 of 98
    Smothered Chicken!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

All I know for sure is this Miami team scares me a lot less than that Bulls team.

This Pacer team is a long ways off from it's peak, that Reggie team was his best ever IMO.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

I hope I don't feel like I did after Game 7 of that Bulls series. That was the single most heartbreaking loss of my Pacer fandom.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

My memory is that there was a completely different feel. The expectations for the current team are much lower than they were for the '98 team. The '98 team had already played in two ECF series (94 & 95) and then followed it up with a disappointing playoffs in '96 (due to Reggie's injury), and then of course the horrific '97 season were they just imploded. It wasn't a young scrappy team learning the ropes - it was a team that needed to get over the hump. Also, for as much as Miami is hated, IMO, it doesn't at all compare to the hatred most had for Chicago. The proximity of the cities and it being MJ took it too a whole different level. The complaining about refs? IMO, worse and more ridiculous in '98. the coaches both used the media to plant seeds with the refs. Pippen was allowed to completely mug mark Jackson up the court in Chicago and it completely disrupted the Pacers offense. Bird complained in the media and then in Game 3 the refs didn't allow it and pippen picked up two quick fouls for exactly what he did the first two games. McKeys stop on Jordan (end of game 3 I believe) and Reggie's push off 3 were huge discussion points.

Ultimately I think the difference for me is this: I was absolutely crushed by the loss in '98. There was no thought that they fought tough and it was part of them learning. No thought that I was proud of what they accomplished taking a great team to 7 games. They needed to and should have won that game. I don't think I'll feel as hurt by a loss tomorrow night. There is still a feeling that their time is coming. In fairness, I've admitted that I am not nearly as passionate a fan as I once was. It has more to do with the NBA itself than the team. But, even taking that into consideration I believe the loss in '98 was much more devastating than a loss tomorrow would be. At least that is MO.
    Last edited by rm1369; 06-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.

FYI, we were up by 5 points with 4 to 5 min left in that 7th game in 1998. There was a jump ball between Rik Smits and Scottie Pippen on our end of the court. I still wish Rik caught that and we went to the other side and extend the lead to 7 or 8 ( not guranteed but still). Scottie controlled the tip and threw it to a wide open Steve Kerr who made a 3 and they had the momentum

That was the first game I saw some choke or fear in MJ as well. He was missing free throws, he in fact missed both free throws on a shooting foul in that game once.

It would have been awesome to win that game. Damn!

Biggest difference I anticipate this year vs. 1998 is that we will likely do the a$$ kicking on the boards in the fourth quarter vs. taking the a$$ kicking. If we win tomorrow night extra possesions will likely be the difference.

I thought the 98 team matched up OK with the Jazz. The Davis boys would have battled Malone pretty well. Smits should have been very effective in the post freeing up Miller on the perimeter.
    Last edited by Downtown Bang!; 06-02-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you should be comparing the 2013 team to the 1994 team, not the 1998 team.
    I was 9 going on 10 in 94. I wasn't into bball really then
    Impossible Is Nothing

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That game 7 against the bulls in 1998 was the same day as my high school graduation so I missed the game, that loss still hurts
    Help us Paul George......you're our only hope

I gave you almost no shot in 98. The Bulls WERE a dynasty. And MJ was an assassin.

I give you at least a 50-50 shot tomorrow. The Heat have been crowned a dynasty by the media way before they deserved to be.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

21. The Following User Says Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

I think this 2013 team is about to win a title. Lets not compare right now because that makes me think you believe we'll lose tomorrow.

The loss that left the worst taste in my mouth was the '95 Game 7 where we got blown out by Orlando. The whole team laid an egg there. I was so disappointed because I thought after '94 we would be right there in the hunt.

I actually don't remember the 1998 Bulls series hardly at all. Which is odd, because I was older. I was visiting family out of the country during the 2000 Finals, this was before the internet was what it is now, my relatives didn't even have the internet so I had to endure the agony of checking box scores in USA Today.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    I gave you almost no shot in 98. The Bulls WERE a dynasty. And MJ was an assassin.

I give you at least a 50-50 shot tomorrow. The Heat have been crowned a dynasty by the media way before they deserved to be.
    You weren't very smart if you gave us no shot. Pacers had them. And blew it at the end. Not to mention they gave the Bulls game 6 by suspending Jalen for walking towards the scores tables during a minor fight.

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    You weren't very smart if you gave us no shot. Pacers had them. And blew it at the end. Not to mention they gave the Bulls game 6 by suspending Jalen for walking towards the scores tables during a minor fight.
    Whoops ment Game 5.

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    Yeah, that series was a war. I was only 12 at the time but man I was sure we had them.

The Bulls were an established dynasty, so beating them would have been incredible. It hurt to lose, but was kind of expected. Nobody beats MJ in the playoffs. Lebron is known to lose playoff games, though tomorrow has a different feel
    David "And One" West

IN 97-98 Chicago was 0-5 at Market Square Arena. The Pacers were every bit Chicago's match, they were probably the best NBA Pacers team ever.

If anyone also remembers, it was a war to win the first seed. The Pacers just couldn't quite do it, going 58-24.. If they had one the 1 seed? That would have been a Pacers championship.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

Oh and game 7 was devastating. I couldn't handle it.

I cried. Yep. I cried. lol
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

If I'm not mistaken in game 7 in 1998 there were two shot clock violation calls that would have turned the game to a Pacers win if they had instant replay back then, one a bad call against Jalen as he released a shot, then another no call where I believe Pippen didn't quite get it off. Rough day, definitely could have won.

Speaking of great Pacer teams, anyone see ESPN ran a graphic saying the Pacers had never been to the Finals and are seeking their first visit? How do they not remember a Finals as recent as 2000? Worldwide leader my a$$. Saw a Croshere retweet earlier today with a pic of the graphic.