Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 282

Thread: Roy's comment's

  1. #51
    Member spreedom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,454

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    My opinion from the other thread, for anyone who is interested in it:

    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    To people getting all up in arms over the phrase "no homo"... calm the down. Seriously... this is a prime example of trying too hard to look for ways to be offended. I am a responsible father of two, have many gay friends (in fact, a suspiciously high number) and I wasn't offended at all. It's a phrase I've used around my friends -- and my gay friends have started adding "homo" to comments like that as a joke -- and there's absolutely zero ill intent involved on Roy's part.

    There are much better uses of our energy than something as innocuous as this.
    Quote Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...an insult becomes an insult based on its intent. That's why I would strongly defend Roy here... he was clearly making a lame joke. Now, if someone comes forward and says they're offended, I am sure Roy will apologize. That would probably be the right thing to do. In fact, I'm sure we'll hear an apology of some sort from Roy before too long... but I wouldn't lose respect for him or anything if we didn't.

    For the TL;DR crowd -- Roy should apologize but I don't think there was a shred of ill-intent there.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Well, I stand by my disappointment. There's a lot of things I don't like about our world and culture, but it is what it is, and Roy should have known better. Doesn't matter whether people are too PC or not, this will stick like an ugly stain against the Pacers. I've barely had the TV on for 30 mins today and I've seen it 5x on three different channels. It doesn't matter whether Roy meant it as derogatory or not, it was immature and in bad taste and I've been a Pacer fan for over two decades now, and I am certainly not going to be his apologist for this. Also, bringing Jesus Christ into this is ludicrous.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smashmouth For This Useful Post:


  4. #53
    Inspiration Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,621

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    The Pacers won't let this affect them during Game 7. The resolve of this group is strong. Beat Miami on Monday and nobody will be talking about these comments at all.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  6. #54
    CA Pacer Fan A-Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) It is ludicrous to think that if an athlete in this country came out with an insult against Christ or Christianity he wouldn't be lambasted in public and the media, along with churches gathering to burn his jersey and consign him to Hell. Cursing is called cursing for a reason - it isn't acceptable in polite company any more than a racial or gender slur would be. To equate a s**tstorm about something in the media with the "acceptance" of something in vulgar culture is a ridiculous comparison.

    2) For those who know their Bible, the only place where a commandment against homosexual practice exists is the same place where a commandment exists about wearing your synthetic fabric jersey over a cotton T-Shirt. The rest is inferences from Jesus' use of heterosexual examples regarding relationships (not prohibitions on other relationships) or positions by Paul regarding specific behavior that he considered inappropriate for Christians in the end times (which, by the way, includes marriage, though it is reluctantly allowed as an alternative to celibacy for those not up to it) - all of this based very much on the idea that Christ was returning within Paul's lifetime.
    Thank you. Of COURSE Hibbert would be condemned and lambasted had he made some rude joke about Christians (who are NOT a discriminated against minority, as much as some would like to portray them as such).

    Saying G--d--- isn't a Christian-specific insult, btw. Christianity doesn't own the notion of "god".

  7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:


  8. #55

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    The mother****ers one was hilarious, and now apparently no homo means you hate gay people
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 06-02-2013 at 10:06 AM.

  9. #56
    Member sportfireman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,145
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy's comment's



    TNT's cast is awesome!!!!!!
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

    Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:


  11. #57
    Member Desperado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Small Town Indiana
    Age
    38
    Posts
    35
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    I don't have a problem with what Roy said or how he said, my problem is with his timing! Not smart at all to say something like this before the biggest game of your life and face a possible suspension from the league. I'm thinking a HEAVY fine but praying for nothing worse.

  12. #58
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,463

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So what if it is?

    are we all going to condem Roy Hibbert to hell if he hates gay people?
    We should. Homophobia is no different than racism- it is fear and hatred of a group of people based on a characteristic (skin color, sexual preference) over which they have no control.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:


  14. #59
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,877

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    1) It is ludicrous to think that if an athlete in this country came out with an insult against Christ or Christianity he wouldn't be lambasted in public and the media, along with churches gathering to burn his jersey and consign him to Hell. Cursing is called cursing for a reason - it isn't acceptable in polite company any more than a racial or gender slur would be. To equate a s**tstorm about something in the media with the "acceptance" of something in vulgar culture is a ridiculous comparison.

    2) For those who know their Bible, the only place where a commandment against homosexual practice exists is the same place where a commandment exists about wearing your synthetic fabric jersey over a cotton T-Shirt. The rest is inferences from Jesus' use of heterosexual examples regarding relationships (not prohibitions on other relationships) or positions by Paul regarding specific behavior that he considered inappropriate for Christians in the end times (which, by the way, includes marriage, though it is reluctantly allowed as an alternative to celibacy for those not up to it) - all of this based very much on the idea that Christ was returning within Paul's lifetime.
    Sexuality was created by God and is good. From the beginning it was intended for use between a man and a woman in marriage. It was corrupted early on with polygamy and has been increasingly perverted over time. We are called to holiness. Outside of God's intent
    Is sin. I say these things as a sinner who needs God's mercy and grace through his son Jesus.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


  16. #60

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sexuality was created by God and is good. From the beginning it was intended for use between a man and a woman in marriage. It was corrupted early on with polygamy and has been increasingly perverted over time. We are called to holiness. Outside of God's intent
    Is sin. I say these things as a sinner who needs God's mercy and grace through his son Jesus.
    1) Please shut up.

    2) If this is the direction this thread is going, cue lockdown GIFs.

  17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:


  18. #61
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,463

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    There is a big difference between insulting gay people, something that actually exists, and insulting God, a fictitious entity.

    Nobody cares if Santa Claus gets insulted. Why should God be any different?

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:


  20. #62
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,463

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sexuality was created by God and is good. From the beginning it was intended for use between a man and a woman in marriage. It was corrupted early on with polygamy and has been increasingly perverted over time. We are called to holiness. Outside of God's intent
    Is sin. I say these things as a sinner who needs God's mercy and grace through his son Jesus.
    God does not exist. That you believe in a silly fairy tale and call yourself a "Christian" does not make you the arbiter of what is moral behavior. Get off your high horse.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:


  22. #63

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sexuality was created by God and is good. From the beginning it was intended for use between a man and a woman in marriage. It was corrupted early on with polygamy and has been increasingly perverted over time. We are called to holiness. Outside of God's intent
    Is sin. I say these things as a sinner who needs God's mercy and grace through his son Jesus.
    You forgot to add this is just your opinion.

  23. #64
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,877

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should. Homophobia is no different than racism- it is fear and hatred of a group of people based on a characteristic (skin color, sexual preference) over which they have no control.
    Race and sexual desire are not the same. You have the ability to control your desire. You cannot do anything about skin color or other physical characteristic.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


  25. #65
    Member hoosierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,463

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Race and sexual desire are not the same. You have the ability to control your desire. You cannot do anything about skin color or other physical characteristic.
    When did you choose to be a heterosexual? When was the defining moment in your life when you stood at the fork in the road and consciously chose to prefer women over men?

    You didn't just like homosexuals did not choose to be attracted to men.

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hoosierguy For This Useful Post:


  27. #66

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Race and sexual desire are not the same. You have the ability to control your desire. You cannot do anything about skin color or other physical characteristic.
    You really don't know how ignorant you look in this thread, do you? I almost pity folks like you.

    In any case, not going to get into a debate. You're pushing this thread toward lockdown anyway, and this isn't the place beyond that.

  28. #67
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    3,877

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    I have stated what is my belief. Just as others have in this thread. I will bow out at this time.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  29. #68
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    I'm shocked and disappointed that so few of you object to Roy's implication that members of the national media are engaged in incestuous carnal relations with their own mothers. Actually, "implication" is the wrong word. He didn't imply, he flat-out said it.

    Parent-child sexual contact is deeply evil, and no one should be accused of it without serious evidence. To trivialize it with a throwaway insult is disgusting.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  31. #69
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,603

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    I watched the post game interview on NBATV. I just didn't see a big deal with what he said. He merely said he isn't a homo. Glad he didn't say he was a homo.

    And as far as the MF, he was spot on and many will listen now for the fact he dropped the MF bomb.

    Love you Roy and I'm no homo.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 06-02-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:


  33. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,160

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    So lets all go to work tomorrow and blurt out what Roy said. On second thought I need my job so maybe I won't.
    Last edited by RWB; 06-02-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  34. #71

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is a big difference between insulting gay people, something that actually exists, and insulting God, a fictitious entity.

    Nobody cares if Santa Claus gets insulted. Why should God be any different?
    So, essentially, because you don't believe in it, it should be okay to insult it? You are aware that this is pretty much the exact definition of bigotry, correct?

    Bigotry | Dictionary.com

    bigotry
    noun, plural big·ot·ries.

    1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.
    So, basically, you're a bigot rallying against bigotry.

    Tell me, have you ever taken an IQ test? If so, would you mind sharing the results with the board? I've had a bad day and could use a hearty laugh.


    On a side note, I'm still waiting for the first argument for atheism that's both based on positive evidence and is subject to testing via the various scientific methods.
    Last edited by Lance George; 06-02-2013 at 10:29 AM.

  35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:


  36. #72
    Member MUpaceSIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    328

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No kidding. Routinely people are posting GD and whatever they want. The media freely does it. There is no bigger double standard.

    Now...I don't think it's right to insult a homosexual either. But the fact is, for those Christians with a firm understanding of their faith (specifically the Bible), homosexuality is unquestionably a sin. It's not even a debate except for people who want to make their own rules...
    The problem is that not everyone is religious, and therefore doesn't share your belief that it is a sin. I choose to base my beliefs on rational thought and proven facts because to me that makes sense. I have nothing against Christianity; however, my issue is when people use their religious beliefs to try to oppress and belittle another group of people. I thought religion was about loving and accepting thy neighbor, not the hate, hate, hate attitude that I hear so often. And you really can't say that those who accept homosexuality and are Christian are "making their own rules" without acknowledging that there are so many things in the Bible that are universally ignored because of how absolutely ridiculous those "rules" are. Everyone picks and chooses things to believe and not believe out of the Bible, and that is a fact.

  37. #73
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,603

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So lets all go to work tomorrow and blurt out what Roy said. On second thought I need my job so maybe I won't.
    So, if you go to work and say your a homo and you get fired, then you are discriminated and a law suit could happen, so, you probably won't be fired. But you'll lose your job if you say your not a homo cause why?

    Double standard there.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  38. #74

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    It's just about consciousness.

    Those who don't understand it probably haven't thought of what it actually means. I've laid it out before. It's not different than saying "that's gay." Aka..gay is bad. Most people who use the phrase don't realize it because people haven't really analyzed the meaning too deeply.

    It's different from "that's what she said" because despite them both referencing sexual innuendos, "That's what she said" isn't saying anything negative about women. It's similar to the phrase "If you know what I mean."

    Those who think Christians are discriminated against in this country... Is there is a war on Christmas and straight white men too? Christians, and straight white men..are the dominant group in society. So, in general..poking fun of a minority group versus poking fun of the group in power is very different. (and don't ***** about the "double standard." Seriously. Straight white Christian men are on the better end of the double standards by a long shot.) That being said, if Roy Hibbert said anything negative about Christians..people would have been upset.

    He didn't though. He swore and he used a phrase that is associated with gay bashing.

    I don't think Roy let the win go to his head. I think he's candid and excited in "after game interviews." The swearing was hilarious, and spot on. Obviously, the media is upset with it. They don't like it when people call them out. But they deserve it. And they'll watch next year.

    The "no homo" thing. Despite my comments above, this seemed very much like a 13 year old who makes everything into a penis joke. He said "no homo" because "that's what she said" and "if you no what I mean" didn't fit the sexual joke. I don't think he meant it in a negative light. Honestly, it's more of a "uneducated" thing to say than a hate filled thing to say.

    I hope Roy doesn't become discouraged from the attention though. I want him playing at his highest level of confidence. I also hope he doesn't apologize for what he said to the media. It was true.

    On the other side. This really could be a benefit to us. Them discussing Roy's comments means the Heat don't get to hear about how they looked out classed and might lose. (Which motivates them. They don't like not having the attention.) And Lance doesn't have to hear about how he hasn't shown up on the road, and Paul George doesn't have to hear about how he needs to be superman. (A lot of game 7 pressure, they don't have to hear about..even if they are feeling it.)

    Roy should just educate himself, apologize, move on. The way he talks in interviews..this won't be the last time he says something he shouldn't have. It's all right though, people like that.
    Last edited by Sookie; 06-02-2013 at 10:39 AM.

  39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  40. #75
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,160

    Default Re: Roy's comment's

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacer Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, if you go to work and say your a homo and you get fired, then you are discriminated and a law suit could happen, so, you probably won't be fired. But you'll lose your job if you say your not a homo cause why?

    Double standard there.
    Actually it is more like HR calling me in behind closed doors and asking "what is your Fing problem and are you Fing nuts". Of course this is followed by "would you like to put in your resignation".
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Similar Threads

  1. Comment of Rick not getting COY?
    By NorCal_Pacerfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 11:26 PM
  2. Interesting comment by JO.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 01:06 PM
  3. A question and a comment
    By indygeezer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-04-2005, 08:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •