Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy's comment's

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy's comment's

How is this even offensive? He basically condensed "and I don't mean in a way that invloves us having gay sex" into two words. Dumb? Yes. Offensive? No unless he went on to say "because that's disgusting" or something that's actually attacking homosexuals. If someone homosexual said "No hetero" I wouldn't find that I was being attacked or slighted.

This is all PC nonsense.
    Pacers,baby!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HeliumFear For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wish he wouldn't have said it. Because I don't want our team seen in a negative light and it kinda ruins some of the big win. But I don't have a problem with what he said and I don't believe he meant to be offensive or homophobic.

I just hope that the media talking bad about him doesn't lower his confidence for game 7. I want him in the same mind set he has been in all series. We lose if not.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Miller_time04 For This Useful Post:

Nice of him to give the Pacers PR department a way to earn their keep.

There are lots of people in lots of jobs who don't like the media. And there are lots of times folks would like to address them without putting on their, "I'm talking to the media" filter. But we pretend to like them and we don't say exactly what we mean. Hibbert forgot that last night.

They key will be a quick apology, hope the league office issues the fine today rather than tomorrow and do whatever you can to minimize this as a distraction for the team. I'm sure the PR folks will talk to the team about how to address it and everyone associated with the team will need to stay on message. Expect a lot of signs in the crowd tomorrow night.

Plus, the DPOY plays in Memphis. Hardly the media hot spot of the world so while what he said made for a nice sound bite it isn't even accurate. The key in these type of awards is to realize that you always get rewarded a year late and as your career winds down there's a good chance you'll get an award you don't deserve (for details I'd suggest looking at Tyson Chandler). That's not right but it's the way it is.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

I just hope he does what Shaq said regarding his comment about the media and brings that intensity to game 7.

Banned
    Mood

Moral of the story: Insult anyone, anytime, for anything, and it's acceptable, perhaps even funny... just as long as it's not homosexuals. Make any comment directed at homosexuality, even if that comment clearly has no malicious intent behind it, and you're a vile subhuman being who believes that every non-heterosexual male alive today is a walking **** monster. Oh, and you also laughed when Bambi's mom died.

Unfortunately for Roy, most people don't know that "no homo" is an old (not particularly funny) joke, so it sounds like he made it up on the spot. If people knew he was just repeating, probably reflexively, a joke he heard then it wouldn't sound as bad. Either way, mistake on Roy's part.

Fortunately for Roy, he's smart. Smart people make just as many mistakes as stupid people, they're just better at cleaning them up. He'll apologize in a sincere, honest way, I'm sure of it.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Moral of the story: Insult anyone, anytime, for anything, and it's acceptable, perhaps even funny... just as long as it's not homosexuals. Make any comment directed at homosexuality, even if that comment clearly has no malicious intent behind it, and you're a vile subhuman being who believes that every non-heterosexual male alive today is a walking **** monster. Oh, and you also laughed when Bambi's mom died.
    Yep. People say all kinds of terrible things about JC, and his name is regularly abused around here, but don't dare insult a homosexual.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

11. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    He's obviously not a homophobe that thinks homosexuals are living in sin or whatever ********
    Christophobia.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Unfortunately for Roy, most people don't know that "no homo" is an old (not particularly funny) joke, so it sounds like he made it up on the spot. If people knew he was just repeating, probably reflexively, a joke he heard then it wouldn't sound as bad. Either way, mistake on Roy's part.

Fortunately for Roy, he's smart. Smart people make just as many mistakes as stupid people, they're just better at cleaning them up. He'll apologize in a sincere, honest way, I'm sure of it.
    Can you please explain the joke? I don't know anything about it.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Yep. People say all kinds of terrible things about JC, and his name is regularly abused around here, but don't dare insult a homosexual.
    Yeah but Joey Crawford deserves most of it don't you think?

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Can you please explain the joke? I don't know anything about it.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_homo

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

No kidding. Routinely people are posting GD and whatever they want. The media freely does it. There is no bigger double standard.

Now...I don't think it's right to insult a homosexual either. But the fact is, for those Christians with a firm understanding of their faith (specifically the Bible), homosexuality is unquestionably a sin. It's not even a debate except for people who want to make their own rules...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

I've never heard "no homo" used in any context other than as a joke. Would it have been more acceptable if he had succeeded it with "not that there's anything wrong with that"?

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

The MF comment kinda caught me off guard coming from Roy, but (like he said), in all honesty, he didn't say anything that wasn't factual. The media needs to be taken to task more often.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

It doesn't matter if it was a joke. It was a joke in bad taste, and very immature for a grown man to say something like that to the media. Many people will not understand it was a joke and consider it offensive. And the timing, especially after the Collins thing! The last thing the Pacers was needed was something to make us look bad again. Bonehead move and a bad distraction before a big game. Very disappointed in Hibbert.

This is really unfortunate.

The media was finally forced to spend two days talking about how good the Pacers are and how dominant Roy Hibbert has been. Instead, they will be talking about "no homo."

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by smashmouth View Post
    It doesn't matter if it was a joke. It was a joke in bad taste, and very immature for a grown man to say something like that to the media. Many people will not understand it was a joke and consider it offensive. And the timing, especially after the Collins thing! The last thing the Pacers was needed was something to make us look bad again. Bonehead move and a bad distraction before a big game. Very disappointed in Hibbert.
    I'm not disappointed in Roy. I'm disappointed in a pantywaist, hypocritical culture that screams tolerance while despising people who disagree with their core values.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

This is really unfortunate.

The media was finally forced to spend two days talking about how good the Pacers are and how dominant Roy Hibbert has been. Instead, they will be talking about "no homo."
    That's alright. They didn't want to talk about Indiana being good anyway.

While I agree it was unfortunate, when you are a fairly young man and just beat the Heat up in game 6 of the ECF and blocked supposedly the greatest basketball player of all time at the rim, you might get a little carried away. IOW, give him some slack. The dude was excited.

That doesn't excuse him totally. But keep in mind that "no homo" is quite minor on the scale of insults. It was insensitive and unfortunate more than hateful. If we all had to live by that standard on everything, we'd all be in trouble.

I'm not disappointed in Roy.
    Really? Despite all the time and emphasis teams put on how players should conduct themselves and represent their teams and you're fine with this?

I'm disappointed in a pantywaist, hypocritical culture that screams tolerance while despising people who disagree with their core values.
    One of the choices people get to make is whether to live in the real world, the one that actually exists, and conduct themselves that way. Or you can behave like you live in a fantasy world.

Now nobody cares which of those you want to call home (I don't think - I don't know you so I have no idea what you do in real life). But anyone who speaks to the media should have a very clear understanding of the difference between the two.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DisplacedKnick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    Someone please clue me in on how no homo is a gay slur.

talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
    It sounds stupid, immature, unintelligent and "hey I'm playing great now so all filters are off". It has exploded on national media, YouTube, etc so yes, it is now a mountain. No one here made it one. The media will do that without our help. Now, instead of just being the opponent on Monday in Miami, he is going to be a villain. I don't think he can handle that.

Thanks McKeyFan. Frankly the cursing is something I really disdain. Especially against our creator and savior. With that said insults, intended or not serve no good purpose either.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    It sounds stupid, immature, unintelligent and "hey I'm playing great now so all filters are off". It has exploded on national media, YouTube, etc so yes, it is now a mountain. No one here made it one. The media will do that without our help. Now, instead of just being the opponent on Monday in Miami, he is going to be a villain. I don't think he can handle that.
    He's going to have to learn to handle adversity. If he can't deal with the scrutiny, maybe he's not ready for a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    Now, instead of just being the opponent on Monday in Miami, he is going to be a villain. I don't think he can handle that.
    I'm worried about this and well. But maybe it'll give him "fuel" or something, and work to our advantage. He made some dumb comments, but it was obvious that he was still hyped from the game.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

1) It is ludicrous to think that if an athlete in this country came out with an insult against Christ or Christianity he wouldn't be lambasted in public and the media, along with churches gathering to burn his jersey and consign him to Hell. Cursing is called cursing for a reason - it isn't acceptable in polite company any more than a racial or gender slur would be. To equate a s**tstorm about something in the media with the "acceptance" of something in vulgar culture is a ridiculous comparison.

2) For those who know their Bible, the only place where a commandment against homosexual practice exists is the same place where a commandment exists about wearing your synthetic fabric jersey over a cotton T-Shirt. The rest is inferences from Jesus' use of heterosexual examples regarding relationships (not prohibitions on other relationships) or positions by Paul regarding specific behavior that he considered inappropriate for Christians in the end times (which, by the way, includes marriage, though it is reluctantly allowed as an alternative to celibacy for those not up to it) - all of this based very much on the idea that Christ was returning within Paul's lifetime.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

38. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    Really? Despite all the time and emphasis teams put on how players should conduct themselves and represent their teams and you're fine with this?

One of the choices people get to make is whether to live in the real world, the one that actually exists, and conduct themselves that way. Or you can behave like you live in a fantasy world.

Now nobody cares which of those you want to call home (I don't think - I don't know you so I have no idea what you do in real life). But anyone who speaks to the media should have a very clear understanding of the difference between the two.
    I didn't say Roy shouldn't have been a little more savvy or be more discrete. I said "I" am not disappointed with him. I'm not.

And "I" am also disappointed with our culture. Yes, I also try to be smart when addressing those who disagree with me, but I will choose for myself who disappoints me and who doesn't, thank you.