Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Roy's comment's

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roy's comment's

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you are referring to what I wrote then I must disagree with your characterization of my remarks as "bashing." I am indeed critical of faith and belief in a being for which there is no evidence exists, especially when said belief is the basis for discrimination and bloodshed throughout all of human history, even to this day. Given the harm religion has caused and the ironclad unchanging views that its adherents profess which prevent learning and growth it is my viewpoint that it is unnecessary and a detriment to society.

Criticizing an omnipotent institution that dominates all aspects of society and shows no signs of weakening is much different than criticizing a disenfranchised minority group.
    The absence of theism has proven to the be the most harmful trait a society can possess. If you doubt that, then research atheistic societies, past and present. This is why I stand up and applaud organized religion, even though I, myself, am nonreligious. Anything which buttresses belief in God, and takes society away from the dangerous idea that humanity is a meaningless accident with no intrinsic value, is a good thing.

Dumb Person Logic: "Religion isn't perfect, therefore, it's awful! The world would be a better place without it! Down with religion! Praise Dawkins!"

Smart Person Logic: "Religion isn't perfect, however, it's proven to be far less murderous, dehumanizing, and destructive than the absence of religion, thus, I will continue to applaud it."

Here's my challenge to you, hoosierguy: Be a true skeptic. Don't simply challenge other peoples views, challenge your own views. Be as skeptical of things you accept as the things you reject, if not even more so. If you did this, you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself in the post I'm replying to.

It's a shame that people who believe in God suffer hate crimes from at the hands of other people who also believe in God but staunchly prefer a different set of religious rituals.

It's very intellectually dishonest, however, to link a significant number of such hate crimes occurring today to people who don't believe in God at all. Both atheists and agnostics are for the most part standing on the side asking people to stop hating and to use their brains a llittle. So are a great number of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hundus, and Buddhists, for that matter.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 06-05-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    It's a shame that people who believe in God suffer hate crimes from at the hands of other people who also believe in God but staunchly prefer a different set of religious rituals.

It's very intellectually dishonest, however, to link a significant number of such hate crimes occurring today to people who don't believe in God at all. Both atheists and agnostics are for the most part standing on the side asking people to stop hating and to use their brains a llittle. So are a great number of Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hundus, and Buddhists, for that matter.
    It's a shame people suffer hate crimes. I shortened it up a little. It's funny how day to day life doesn't match the world I see on the news every day. Day to day people are pretty decent to each other in the circles I spend my time in.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twes For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GrangeRusHibbert View Post
    The absence of theism has proven to the be the most harmful trait a society can possess. If you doubt that, then research atheistic societies, past and present. This is why I stand up and applaud organized religion, even though I, myself, am nonreligious. Anything which buttresses belief in God, and takes society away from the dangerous idea that humanity is a meaningless accident with no intrinsic value, is a good thing.
    And to which atheistic society do you refer?

Dumb Person Logic: "Religion isn't perfect, therefore, it's awful! The world would be a better place without it! Down with religion! Praise Dawkins!"

Smart Person Logic: "Religion isn't perfect, however, it's proven to be far less murderous, dehumanizing, and destructive than the absence of religion, thus, I will continue to applaud it."
    Yes, because everyone thinks in those diametrically opposed, black and white, ways. Of course.

Here's my challenge to you, hoosierguy: Be a true skeptic. Don't simply challenge other peoples views, challenge your own views. Be as skeptical of things you accept as the things you reject, if not even more so. If you did this, you wouldn't have embarrassed yourself in the post I'm replying to.
    My guess is that hoosierguy has already gone through the exercise you are challenging him to conduct. That's why he believes like he does.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

Japan and Sweden are just the axis of evil in the modern world!

people who describe themselves as atheists and agnostics, around the world:

The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Blame Canada!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Train For This Useful Post:

assuming PG gets back... Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Vietnam? I had no idea.