Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Roy's comment's

Default Roy's comment's

No use buggering up other threads.. It is of both importance and general interest of course, but I feel like we can probably talk basketball in the other threads right?

Anywho, quick notes:

*Stop with the "I have gay friends" comments. You sound just as stupid as those people who say, "I'm not racist I have black friends." =)
    ***** is just a word with a harmless meaning (most of the time, it is versatile, so you can use it in an offensive way). A word in which our society has for some reason deemed inappropriate. This is much different than homophobia, which intends to discriminate based on someones sexual orientation. Note the huge difference.
    *It is important to note that even if you DON'T intend to offend someone, if you said something discriminatory, you're in the wrong. Roy did, and I'm sure he knows that.
    *Roy probably doesn't wake up thinking, "I don't like gay people." But he did say something hurtful.

Carry on.
    Find me on the internets @mattiecolin

Read it and weep:

When George Hill is above 15% usage we won 73.5% of games. Below 15% usage we won 61.9%

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Roy's comment's

Clearly, Roy spoke incorrectly. What he meant was "That's what she said."

But thank you for this thread. Now we can actually talk about basketball in the post game thread.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

This is what's showing when you google Roy in the news, FWIW.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Someone please clue me in on how no homo is a gay slur.

talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone please clue me in on how no homo is a gay slur.

talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.
    According to Sports Illustrated it's used to distance oneself from homosexuals. I personally think it's a pretty insecure thing to say, but I don't think he has anything against gay people.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Indra For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Clearly, Roy spoke incorrectly. What he meant was "That's what she said."
    Not if he was referring to Bosh stretching him out?

(ducks)

sorry--Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    According to Sports Illustrated it's used to distance oneself from homosexuals. I personally think it's a pretty insecure thing to say, but I don't think he has anything against gay people.
    So what if it is?

are we all going to condem Roy Hibbert to hell if he hates gay people?
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

He's going to be short $100,000 come Monday.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I always say "Yes homo." to people.

I like awkward situations.

15. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Looking at the Twitterverse, I think Roy regretted saying it as well as dropping the MF bomb.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Ive always found it a dumb/ insecure thing to say, but its no different from the 'pause' nonsense I've heard players use in interviews, and nobody gets fined for that.

So what if it is?

well, no. Doesn't mean that it's not an awful thing to say. The more you say it, the more you legitimize its use. And that's also wrong.

Mood

So what if it is?

What is the point of this hypothetical question?

Anyway - Roy does not hate gay people. We can guess this because of his comments re: having a gay teammate. He said something that he probably didn't realize was that offensive. He made a mistake, he'll get fined, and he'll figure it out because he's a smart guy. This will blow over quickly. He's already trying to understand what he did wrong, he wants to learn. That's the same quality we love that has led to lots of improvement on the court.

• Roy Hibbert@Hoya2aPacer42m
      @jasoncollins34 hey can I get a follow. Would like to discuss something's with you.

Man, I hope we aren't still discussing this in the morning. Goodnight Pacerland. We are one win away from the NBA Finals.

Last edited by gummy; 06-02-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: hypothetical, not rhetorical
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

The "no homo" part was just unnecessary. Personally, I don't find it necessarily offensive; I just find it obnoxious. Why even say that? OH, BECAUSE WE THOUGHT YOU MEANT THE HEAT DEFENSE WAS TRYING TO TAKE YOU UP THE HERSHEY HIGHWAY? No. Stop it. It's dumb, and it makes you sound like a product of a junior high cafeteria.

Less offended than annoyed by that.

The MF'er part is right on. ESPN reporter asked, and deserved it. Of course he's whining about it on his Twitter feed. When you represent ESPN, you open yourself up to that sentiment, and I support Hibbert 100 percent. I'm actually embarrassed for any decent writers/talent at ESPN, because they're entirely drowned out by the fact that ESPN structures its entire broadcast with these terrible pre-fabricated & forced storylines (LeBron, LeBron, LeBron, Wade, Birdman, Bosh, etc.) and then has Stephen A & Skip B as the most front-and-center voices around game reaction etc.

Watching this series on TNT makes me appreciate just how much freaking better TNT is than ESPN. Go figure -- a network that talks about both teams, offers intelligent analysis, actually discusses what happened in the game, etc. ESPN is an embarrassment, and anyone who represents it should be embarrassed as long as they continue to operate as they do.

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Now the media is after him big time. We all know how things have effected Hibbert mentally in the past, does anyone think this could effect his game 7?

I don't like to think it would, but again, we've seen it happen in the past.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Eh. Easy to say from a heterosexual perspective I suppose, but "just another hurdle" to overcome in the equality fight I guess. Definitely wish he hadn't said it, but this is a forum with a "that's what she said" emoticon, it's the same inclination, however light hearted, that only heterosexual males aren't walking **** monsters.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    What is the point of this rhetorical question?

Anyway - Roy does not hate gay people. We can guess this because of his comments re: having a gay teammate. He said something that he probably didn't realize was that offensive. He made a mistake, he'll get fined, and he'll figure it out because he's a smart guy. This will blow over quickly. He's already trying to understand what he did wrong, he wants to learn. That's the same quality we love that has led to lots of improvement on the court.

• Roy Hibbert@Hoya2aPacer42m
      @jasoncollins34 hey can I get a follow. Would like to discuss something's with you.

Man, I hope we aren't still discussing this in the morning. Goodnight Pacerland. We are one win away from the NBA Finals.

Yes he's very intelligent, but if he was smart he wouldn't have used the words he chose to use.

I'm beginning to think he can't handle success, it does go to some peoples heads. He's using the platform winning gives him to strike out at his doubters, first Job, now news people that didn't vote for him for defensive player.

Okay fine, however swearing and using slurs isn't the way to generate backers. I think he damaged himself and the Pacers by doing so!

Considering the brawl and the 8 Second Saloon, if this is the worst thing Roy does I'll take it.

But I do agree that Roy was acting like they just was the series, when they've got a helluva challenge coming up on Monday to actually win the series. Hope his head is in it come game 7.
    Last edited by 4040; 06-02-2013 at 04:02 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to 4040 For This Useful Post:

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

When Jason Collins came out Roy had this to say;

I have no problem with openly gay men,ţ Pacers center Roy Hibbert said. ýMore power to them. We live in a day in age where people are more accepting as opposed to years ago. Him and his family may have some adversity in the coming days and weeks, but I have no problem with it.
    He's obviously not a homophobe that thinks homosexuals are living in sin or whatever ********, it's just part of the gap that needs to be closed. It's like calling a somebody you think is stupid a "retard." Ideals are further along than our slang I guess.

30. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    When Jason Collins came out Roy had this to say;

He's obviously not a homophobe that thinks homosexuals are living in sin or whatever ********, it's just part of the gap that needs to be closed. It's like calling a somebody you think is stupid a "retard." Ideals are further along than our slang I guess.
    I agree, this moment needs to be more about consciousness raising.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, this is the kinda **** that happens when the media's actually paying attention to you, I guess.

How lame is it that we're one game away from the finals and all anyone can talk about is a players post game comments (THAT DONT EVEN PERTAIN TO THE SPORT) and flopping?

I'm as liberal and tolerant as anyone, but the media making a big deal out of this is asinine.

What possible harm does the phrase "no homo" do? It's an innocent joke that probably millions of people make every day. Most of whom are not homophobic. I would wager money that the use of the expression "no homo" has absolutely no correlation to homophobia. Not that homophobes wouldn't say it, but they're no more likely than their more enlightened counterparts. What if he had said "pause", would we be having the same conversation (it's the same exact joke). What if he had said "that's what she said", would we be labeling him sexist?

Look I'm all for cracking down on hate speech and derrogatory comments, but this isn't an example of either of those. If you honestly think the silly "no homo" joke is offensive, explain why the raise of the phrase has correlated directly with the raise of acceptance of homosexuality in our society. The phrase "no-homo" originated in the mid 90's, here's a graph of U.S. views on homosexuality. http://sas-origin.onstreammedia.com/...fy8g4tpeuw.gif

I'm being a little tongue-in-cheek here, I realize that the use of "no-homo" didn't increase acceptance of gays. I'm arguing that the increase in popularity and prevalence of that phrase has absolutely nothing to do with it whatsoever. It's nothing more than an innocent joke which is essentially synonymous with "tee hee hee, I just said a sexual double entendre"... No homo just rolls off the tongue a lot better.

What I posted in post game thread:

If I said..."I'm not gay or anything....but I think that guy is a good looking dude". Wouldn't that be the same thing as Hibbert using "no homo"? Doesn't mean I have anything AGAINST homosexuals. Just a manner of speaking. I've said that first phrase before and I also have a homosexual in my immediate family. Don't think he would be offended if I said that. If I have the connotation wrong forgive me. First time I've heard the "no homo" phrase used. I recently read that as much as 8-10% of the population is gay so this issue will be talked about but I don't think Roy meant anything derogatory by his comments.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

I never watched the postgame presser so I can't say as much about the issue. Just a few things here:

- regardless of what he meant by the "no homo" comment, saying it is a mistake on his part. I think he realized it so I hope he just make a public apology (if he hasn't already) let's just move on from here.
    - saying MFs and cussing on a live broadcast is also a mistake. Yeah, almost everybody who knows English has probably said that at least once, but c'mon. It's a live broadcast, so at least be responsible for what you say. It's not something you can sensor outright.

So my point is, we don't need to defend Roy as he clearly made a mistake here. But we don't need to condemn him for that either as I believe there's no ill intent in what he said. Let's just stop blowing this out of proportion and bring back the focus to this intensely fought series we're seeing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    Not if he was referring to Bosh stretching him out?

(ducks)

sorry--Go Pacers!
    I watched Hibbert and PG's post-game press conference and I didn't think his comment as quoted above was an inference to homosexuality. I thought it was a basketball reference, as in "Bosh stretched the floor with his ability to make the 3". Or in other words, I honestly thought he was referring to spacing. I didn't hear the "No homo" comment that came at the end. So, to come in here and notice all the tension about Roy allegedly making a homophobic slang term caught me off guard.

As for him cursing concerning the DPOY voting, what can I say? He was right.